HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Episode IX|The Off-Season Thread|It's... still the offseason.

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Milliardo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
If Dumoulin pans out early we could conceivably offer a package along the Lines of Martin, Despres, 1st for a guy like that. Martin would clear most of the salary for Eberle. I wouldn't have a problem with it. Of course we don't know what the CBA or cap will look like either so it's all guesswork for now. But if you're asking would I rather try to work around Martin's 5M contract to keep Letang or Eberle's 6M contract, no contest. Kick Kennedy and his $2M to the curb to make up for it if you have to. There are plenty of guys in our system or FA who could fill Kennedy's shoes for less. Having a guy like Eberle on our Top 6 would take our offense to another level.

As it is, it looks like that winger spot is Bennett's to lose going into next year, if he keeps playing well / developing in the AHL. He's clearly got gifts no other F prospect has in our system so it's just a matter of maturity and physical strength / health sounds like.
I agree except for the Kennedy part, we actually have noone like him and for 2m a year, you won't get much more production unless it's Dupuis, probably one of the best deals in the whole league (Dupuis).

Old
12-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Zirakzigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
I agree except for the Kennedy part, we actually have noone like him and for 2m a year, you won't get much more production unless it's Dupuis, probably one of the best deals in the whole league (Dupuis).
We have no one who chest snipes when he shoots? Ill play for league minimum if thats the the reason we are keeping him around. Sorry but I aint a Kennedy fan. He needs to be getting 20g a year and Cooke needs to find a way to play gritty but clean or there is no room for either of them on this team.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirakzigil View Post
We have no one who chest snipes when he shoots? Ill play for league minimum if thats the the reason we are keeping him around. Sorry but I aint a Kennedy fan. He needs to be getting 20g a year and Cooke needs to find a way to play gritty but clean or there is no room for either of them on this team.
He had 33 points in 60 games and 45 in 80 the year before. We have NOONE like him, which is a guy who is fast, tenacious and also scores points. Except for our big guns, but obviously I'm not talking about players like them. We have tenacious and fast guys, but they can't score. We have guys who can score a little, but they are different. And he's our only RH forward who can be called semi-dangerous.

But we could always sign you, so there's that.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:43 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I like Kennedy, but if dumping him meant gaining Jordan Eberle then sign me up. That dude would be PPG with Sid. We would have an unstoppable top 6. Too bad Edmonton would want the world for him. Not gonna happen.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I like Kennedy, but if dumping him meant gaining Jordan Eberle then sign me up. That dude would be PPG with Sid. We would have an unstoppable top 6. Too bad Edmonton would want the world for him. Not gonna happen.
Obvisouly. Although I'd rather lose someone else and not TK.

But yeah, I actually think Eberle is the most untouchable player on Edmontons roster.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Obvisouly. Although I'd rather lose someone else and not TK.

But yeah, I actually think Eberle is the most untouchable player on Edmontons roster.
We are in agreement there.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Zirakzigil

Quote:
He had 33 points in 60 games and 45 in 80 the year before. We have NOONE like him, which is a guy who is fast, tenacious and also scores points. Except for our big guns, but obviously I'm not talking about players like them. We have tenacious and fast guys, but they can't score. We have guys who can score a little, but they are different. And he's our only RH forward who can be called semi-dangerous.

But we could always sign you, so there's that.
Sure he gets points. With a 5.6% shooting percentage last year. He gets points but he doesnt create a whole lot of chances or offense. I dont call Kennedy semi dangerous. Hes a typical 3rd liner who can be easily gotten in FA or from prospects moving up. The way I look at it, can we afford to pay him 2mil or more on a new contract? Not likely.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
Sure he gets points. With a 5.6% shooting percentage last year. He gets points but he doesnt create a whole lot of chances or offense. I dont call Kennedy semi dangerous. Hes a typical 3rd liner who can be easily gotten in FA or from prospects moving up. The way I look at it, can we afford to pay him 2mil or more on a new contract? Not likely.
2M is nothing nowadays, I'd gladly re-sign him for 2.25 a year.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Zirakzigil

Quote:
2M is nothing nowadays, I'd gladly re-sign him for 2.25 a year.
2mil is nothing now when the cap is around 70mil and Letang is making 3.5mil. But what happens when the cap drops, which it will, and Letang needs to be resigned? We really have no wingers for Crosby if we dont break up Kunitz-Malkin-Neal and no spare coin to go after one either. In my opinion Kennedy is going to be a luxury that the team cannot afford down the road.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Milliardo

Quote:
2mil is nothing now when the cap is around 70mil and Letang is making 3.5mil. But what happens when the cap drops, which it will, and Letang needs to be resigned? We really have no wingers for Crosby if we dont break up Kunitz-Malkin-Neal and no spare coin to go after one either. In my opinion Kennedy is going to be a luxury that the team cannot afford down the road.
Like I said in other threads, I'm not worried about the Pens cap situation at all. If the cap goes down, so will the price for players who become UFA or RFA, it's pretty simple. Yes, Letang will get a nice raise and deservedly so, but we wanted Parise so obvisously the Pens think it's possible to sign Letang and still have a very expensive new winger. Kennedy at 2M is worth more than Martin at 5M. Plus, we have more options to replace Martin than Kennedy.

Old
12-20-2012, 11:21 AM
ZeroHero

vCash: 50
Anyone going?

Quote:
Three Rivers Classic
College Hockey Tournament

NCAA Division I men’s college hockey takes center stage when the inaugural “Three Rivers Classic” is held December 28-29, 2012 at CONSOL Energy Center.

The four teams scheduled to participate in the two-day event are Robert Morris University, Penn State University, Ohio State University and Miami University. Robert Morris is coming off the two-best seasons in its program’s history, while Penn State will be competing in its first year at the Division I level this season. Ohio State and Miami have combined to make 12 NCAA Tournament appearances over the previous 10 years.
http://www.consolenergycenter.com/ev...rivers-classic

Old
12-20-2012, 12:12 PM
JTG

Colin Wilson is only 23 years old, and if he is every surrounded with good talent in Nashville, he will produce points. He probably plays against better match ups than he should.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
We are in agreement there.
Really? You guys think EDM would move Hall or RNH before Eberle? I think those two are the untouchable ones there but maybe not. I just realized too Hemsky's hit is $5M for next year. Was thinking it was less than that.

Maybe they'll do a strait swap - Martin for Hemsky. No cap issues for either team, both teams get a player who was expected to do more / needs a change in venue, both players fit needed role for team they're going to.

(And no way in hell is Kennedy worth $2.5M, especially if the cap goes down. He may not have an immediate 1 for 1 replacement in WBS, but there are guys who could step into 3rd line duty and be just as useful to the team overall -- possibly Tango, Sutter and Cooke would be a pretty good fit / 3rd line with some upside, no? Might take a full season for them to gel but if it meant having a much better player in the top 6 and swapping TK out for someone like that to make salary room... not even a question. Do it. Kennedy has his moments but he is a pretty ordinary player and still hasn't figured out the black art of intelligent shot selection.)

Old
12-20-2012, 02:38 PM
penguins2946*

Pens trade Martin, Kennedy and Despres
Preds trade Wilson and Watson

Would that work, or more on which side? Preds get a replacement for Suter, a decent 2nd-3rd line winger and a top D prospect that is NHL ready. Pens get a young center/winger and a very good center prospect. My other highdea was:

Pens trade Morrow, Lovejoy and Kennedy
Bruins trade Horton

That one is interesting. Bruins get 2 depth players (which isn't bad) and a top D prospect that will replace Chara once he retires (and make a nasty pair with Hamilton, IMO). They also get some much needed salary cap relief. Pens get a younger winger for Crosby.

Last edited by penguins2946*: 12-20-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old
12-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Nope. Because Martin and Despres do not make Nashville's D appreciably better than starting Josi and Ellis and letting them get their experience.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:48 PM
mpp9

I still say Hemsky for Martin is a good deal for both sides. But I doubt Shero views Hemsky as highly as Martin.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:53 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Nope. Because Martin and Despres do not make Nashville's D appreciably better than starting Josi and Ellis and letting them get their experience.
I don't think Despres would start though. At least on the top pair. That would let Martin also mentor Josi and Ellis, which could help them. Also, I'm not convinced that Ellis is NHL ready, he hasn't done anything to impress me so far in his career (Preds are my 2nd favorite team, I watch them almost as much as the Pens). And if Nashville would be fine with those 2, they wouldn't have been on the Pens about Martin at the draft.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I still say Hemsky for Martin is a good deal for both sides. But I doubt Shero views Hemsky as highly as Martin.
Dunno about that. For a while there Shero was making it clear to the world he wasn't too happy with Martin, while at the same time saying he was considering ways to improve the team in the off-season. Then he came around and said Martin would get another chance, that a lot was expected of him improvement-wise, etc.

I think Martin has a long way to go before Shero considers him indispensable trade-wise. You may be right that he doesn't value Hemsky that much however.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post

Would that work, or more on which side? Preds get a replacement for Suter, a decent 2nd-3rd line winger and a top D prospect that is NHL ready. Pens get a young center/winger and a very good center prospect. My other highdea was:

Bruins trade Horton

That one is interesting. Bruins get 2 depth players (which isn't bad) and a top D prospect that will replace Chara once he retires (and make a nasty pair with Hamilton, IMO). They also get some much needed salary cap relief. Pens get a younger winger for Crosby.

Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
And if Nashville would be fine with those 2, they wouldn't have been on the Pens about Martin at the draft.
Was this ever confirmed or just a rumor? I don't recall anyone saying Martin was on Nashville's radar but I could be mistaken. That was before they knew Suter and Weber were going to walk wasn't it? I think they were still trying to sign those guys at that time, which makes it unlikely they were pursuing Martin (one would think).

Old
Zirakzigil

Quote:

Bruins trade Horton

And what defensemen do we use to revamp our blueline? We are trading our top 2 prospects and I dont see any young solid wingers coming back. Horton has concussion issues.

Old
12-20-2012, 02:59 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Was this ever confirmed or just a rumor? I don't recall anyone saying Martin was on Nashville's radar but I could be mistaken. That was before they knew Suter and Weber were going to walk wasn't it? I think they were still trying to sign those guys at that time, which makes it unlikely they were pursuing Martin (one would think).
This was right after Suter said he would test the free agent waters. Pens were trying to get his rights, and the Preds wanted Martin. However, the Preds were not willing to trade Suter's rights. Maybe they should have

Old
12-20-2012, 03:02 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
And what defensemen do we use to revamp our blueline? We are trading our top 2 prospects and I dont see any young solid wingers coming back. Horton has concussion issues.
We would obviously only do 1 (probably the Nashville one is better), and Horton is a solid winger. He's the same age as Fleury, so I consider that young. Young+solid winger= Young, solid winger.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Really? You guys think EDM would move Hall or RNH before Eberle? I think those two are the untouchable ones there but maybe not. I just realized too Hemsky's hit is $5M for next year. Was thinking it was less than that.

Maybe they'll do a strait swap - Martin for Hemsky. No cap issues for either team, both teams get a player who was expected to do more / needs a change in venue, both players fit needed role for team they're going to.

(And no way in hell is Kennedy worth $2.5M, especially if the cap goes down. He may not have an immediate 1 for 1 replacement in WBS, but there are guys who could step into 3rd line duty and be just as useful to the team overall -- possibly Tango, Sutter and Cooke would be a pretty good fit / 3rd line with some upside, no? Might take a full season for them to gel but if it meant having a much better player in the top 6 and swapping TK out for someone like that to make salary room... not even a question. Do it. Kennedy has his moments but he is a pretty ordinary player and still hasn't figured out the black art of intelligent shot selection.)
I think we are splitting hairs here anyway. I don't see them moving any of those 3. Yak would be the most likely moved IMO. I suppose I just value Eberle over those 2 on the Pens so I was applying some of that to how they value him (that may or may not be true). I think you could make an argument for Hall being traded before Eberle.

I wanted Hemsky for a while but not at $5mil. At this point, I wouldn't trade Martin for him either. In a shortened season, there's not enough time to see how the kids can replace Martin so I'd say it's too risky.

Not sure if the Kennedy comments are directed to me or not. I think he's worth 2 mil in today's NHL, but not much more. I'd be in favor of letting him walk after next season as we should have cheaper replacements in either Tango, Jeffrey, or the like.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
We would obviously only do 1 (probably the Nashville one is better), and Horton is a solid winger. He's the same age as Fleury, so I consider that young. Young+solid winger= Young, solid winger.
With serious concussion issues. We don't need anymore star players on LTIR.

Closed Thread