HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins re-signs Tangradi, Bortuzzo and Grant to 1-year 2-way deals

Old
08-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post

Hopefully he has been improving his skating and shot this off season.

and round and round we go.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Yep. He is 23 and "should" be near to his prime as a forward. Sad thing is that this is "as good as it gets" for him or not far from it. As everyone knows, he is running out of time. He is the same age as J. Staal FWIW, and Staal has already played 400+ NHL games. Tangradi is at 40 career games.

and here is proof that some fans are completely spoiled and/or clueless about how a typical player develops. I'm not sure if its more ridiculous to think Staal is a fair comparison for games played or to think that a 23 year old rookie is nearing his prime and doesn't have much room to improve.

Just a really bad post.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 08-31-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Diabeto

Quote:
Yep. He is 23 and "should" be near to his prime as a forward. Sad thing is that this is "as good as it gets" for him or not far from it. As everyone knows, he is running out of time. He is the same age as J. Staal FWIW, and Staal has already played 400+ NHL games. Tangradi is at 40 career games.

Second overall pick ≠ second round pick

Diabeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodac View Post
Surprised Tangradi would accept a two-way. For the way the organization has been devolving him, he seems to have a very good attitude. I think he will bust but I really want him to prove me wrong. Even if he turns into a Matt Cooke type role player, I'll be happy.
If he's a big banging body and going 15G's 15A's, I'm pretty happy. I was all on board with most of the Pens fans saying let him prove it but I think he did that last year. He's always been good at getting to the front of the net but last year he made some plays, kept his feet moving and fought. We got to notice him more when he took the ice. I would like to see him take that 1 step further and be a little bit more of a bully on the ice. Push and shove after plays are dead, yap and linger in front of the net a little longer than usual. Get that rep of being a JO to play against... its not a bad thing.

I'm not going to start a new thread about it but does anyone else think that its hard to be a winger in Disco's system?

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:

Power forwards take a much longer time to develop. He is also still a year younger than Ryan Malone was in his first NHL season. Players develop differently. Comparing him to Jordan Staal is pretty useless since Staal was a number 2 overall pick and had MUCH higher expectations. This is a big year for Tangradi no doubt, be he isn't "running out of time" IMO.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post

and round and round we go.
I don't know how anyone can listen to stuff like this and give Errey a pass even though he's funny sometimes. If you're running Root, it's embarrassing to think that guy is your "professional color commentator". The best you have to offer fans. And that his sidekick is considerably WORSE than he is.

Definitely something to that yinzer theory people talk about.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I don't know how anyone can listen to stuff like this and give Errey a pass even though he's funny sometimes. If you're running Root, it's embarrassing to think that guy is your "professional color commentator". The best you have to offer fans. And that his sidekick is considerably WORSE than he is.

Definitely something to that yinzer theory people talk about.
clips like that are exactly why I love Bob Errey.

Old
08-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
clips like that are exactly why I love Bob Errey.
Help me understand... seriously. Does not compute.

Old
08-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Help me understand... seriously. Does not compute.
I would ask you the same question.

I love how excited he gets. I don't know what's possibly bad about that clip other than him being super excited. And stressing how erect Tangradi is I guess

What about that clip do you think is bad?

Old
08-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Milliardo

Quote:

People sometimes get too hung up on age, look where Bran Rafalski was at age 26. How about Martn St. Louis? It's different for every player, depending on how ready their body is, mental readiness, opportunity, whatever.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:

I love how excited he gets. I don't know what's possibly bad about that clip other than him being super excited. And stressing how erect Tangradi is I guess

He does get overly giddy, but I'd rather have someone like that than someone with a bland personality. I almost want to fall asleep when I'm listening some other local sport channel's commentators. You're going to find flaws in anyone you put in that position, might as well have someone that's going to keep it interesting.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

There's nothing wrong about an announcer being excited if there's actually something going on worth being excited about?

Let me do a computer translation of Bob Errey's comments:

"Wow. This player is standing upright in front of the goalie, just as hundreds of other players do every night. He does not want the goalie to see past. Wow. This player is now quickly skating up the ice and doing what he is supposed to be doing, even though nothing he is doing is leading to an exciting scoring chance, big hit or other phenomenon that would normally cause a hockey fan to become excitable."

IOW he is going absolutely crazy over nothing. Tangradi did nothing even mildly interesting during that shift, let alone something remarkable or worthy of high praise. It's like Errey was in a good mood before the game, did a line of cocaine and then when he saw Tangradi he went berserk. I mean OK he's a goofball sometimes and sorta funny with his off-the-wall comments but there's nothing to this (and dozens of others he makes every month). It's just a lot of yapping about nothing.

Old
08-31-2012, 11:13 AM
mpp9

Quote:
There's nothing wrong about an announcer being excited if there's actually something going on worth being excited about?

"Wow. This player is standing upright in front of the goalie, just as hundreds of other players do every night. He does not want the goalie to see past. Wow. This player is now quickly skating up the ice and doing what he is supposed to be doing, even though nothing he is doing is leading to an exciting scoring chance, big hit or other phenomenon that would normally cause a hockey fan to become excitable."

IOW he is going absolutely crazy over nothing. Tangradi did nothing even mildly interesting during that shift, let alone something remarkable or worthy of high praise. It's like Errey was in a good mood before the game, did a line of cocaine and then when he saw Tangradi he went berserk. I mean OK he's a goofball sometimes and sorta funny with his off-the-wall comments but there's nothing to this (and dozens of others he makes every month). It's just a lot of yapping about nothing.
He's a big body than can make life miserable for a goalie around the net and has good wheels for a 230 lb skater.

Errey's probably excited b/c we severely lack that type of skillset on the wing. And as we've all learned over the last calender year, the trade market isn't exactly thriving.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:16 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:

BUT LOOK AT HIM GO! THREE STRIDES!

Erreys charm lies in his goofballiness. He says silly crap, he gets super excited and he's an enormous homer (and which frankly, i've never understood the opinion from people that the announcers should be completely unbiased, it's the hometown broadcast! Why should they? More damn homerism!) He says dumb **** he says doesn't really bother me, it's more like "oh Bob, you so silly" then the enormous hate-fest he can get from some people. He's like that friend who is kind of wierd but you love him anyway because it wouldn't be the same without him

He adds alot of charm and persona to the broadcast. I'd be sad to se him go.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Til the End of Time

i like errey because he is goofy, but he is also very knowledgeable, a former legit nhl player, and is humble/friendly. and sure, he'll gush over a pens player like ET in that clip, but he's also willing to call out the penguins when their player deserves it.

steiggy is not as funny and also seems very smug/arrogant. he acts like he is a member of the pens roster. he never would criticize a penguins players on the broadcast. steiggy seems like a loser that always wanted to be a part of the jock crew, but never really fit in. which is funny, because thats exactly what he was in high school at south catholic-- loser that didnt play sports but tried to hang with athletes. plus the other steiggy brother is a moron with retarded political views.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

he's excited that Tangradi is doing the things we need a young big guy to do. I love that he makes note of that kind of thing that isn't blatantly part of the play. It's great for people who don't actually play which is most of the fanbase. The fact that it excites him so much is just bonus

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 08-31-2012 at 12:14 PM.