National TV Schedule

Old
08-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrinch View Post
Bell will also be getting CBWT-HD on channel 1090 apparently very soon. But even in the meantime, for those in the Winnipeg area, you can get a VHF/UHF antennae for like $15 and watch in CBC-HD over the air. The picture quality is actually optimal this way rather than through any provider.

As an aside for Bell customers, suggestion has been that Bell will be charging for TSN-Jets this season as it's no longer included in the digital standard package.
from : http://theviewfromseven.wordpress.co...hern-manitoba/

reception graph for CBC Winnipeg (AKA CBWT) in perfect digital HD using a regular TV antenna or rooftop antenna.

you should also be able to get free satellite of those channels from Shaw Direct if you cannot pick it up outside of Winnipeg. I believe it's called Skinny Basic. I think you have until November 30th to sign up for it according to shaw directs web page. http://www.shawdirect.ca/promotions/...p?WT.mc_id=DTV

That said, my concern isn't about the HD reception of CBC Winnipeg. It's actually been pretty good once it came on the air. Global and CBC are relatively easy to pick up with regular indoor antennas if you're in the city. (CTV and CITY need rooftop antennas depending on where you are) My concern is with CBC actually using HD Cameras. I hope they have HD Cameras and don't simply use SD. Presumably they've invested in more by now.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:40 AM
bodybreak
We're Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningwood View Post
Thats great if you live in the city. I do not have the option. Still stuck with Shaw Sattelite which shows regional channels in SD. Although I heard that MTS TV might be coming our way shortly.
Weird. I always thought Shaw satellite would have CBC Winnipeg HD, since Shaw has access to that feed (Shaw Digital Cable customers in the Winnipeg area get the channel).

Quote:
Bell will also be getting CBWT-HD on channel 1090 apparently very soon. But even in the meantime, for those in the Winnipeg area, you can get a VHF/UHF antennae for like $15 and watch in CBC-HD over the air. The picture quality is actually optimal this way rather than through any provider.

As an aside for Bell customers, suggestion has been that Bell will be charging for TSN-Jets this season as it's no longer included in the digital standard package.
Their brochure with the new channel packages (good, better, best) that I picked up in March still had TSN Jets in the basic package... Of course that was last hockey season. Have they changed things yet again? I only signed up in October. My 2 options were Bell or Shaw in order to get the Jets channel. Both had similar prices for the channels I wanted, so I went with Bell since there was no monthly fee for the Jets channel. Since then, they have rearranged all their channels so that in order to keep the channels I want, I had to add a whole bunch of other channels, tripling the cost of my bill. I just expected they would be able to offer you the same package options throughout your entire 2 year contract. That's a reasonable assumption, no? Neighbours are getting Shaw soon. Looking more and more each day like I will be switching over to them!

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:15 PM
MrGrinch

@bodybreak -- A couple of months ago Bell printed on all their TSN-Jets subscriber's monthly bills that the channel was being pulled out of the basic package. It didn't note that there would be a cost increase per se, just that it was being pulled out. But the speculation is that they will begin to charge for this...

Based on this, one thing I know folks are contemplating is changing the service address with Bell to an out of market address. Then subscribing to NHL Centre Ice to get the games that way (ie - not having to pay for both NHL Centre Ice and an extra $70 for TSN-Jets).

MrGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:31 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

Hmm, I didn't get that note, but I'm on to the middle level of programming. Perhaps it will be moving there? My guide is set to only show channels I'm subscribed to, and TSN Jets never disappeared. The difference between the two packages ($36 vs $70) is more than a simple $10 fee per month for TSN Jets. Shrewd business move. Not a good customer relations move. If you are still under the old programming, then the increase will be a bit more. (I think basic used to be in the $20-$30 range before fees and taxes, when I first started).

Interesting idea to try to get around paying for CI and TSN Jets. I have heard that Bell is able to see where your dish or receiver (or both?) are, and if it's way off from the service address, they shut it off.

Old
08-31-2012, 04:15 PM
MrGrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybreak View Post
I have heard that Bell is able to see where your dish or receiver (or both?) are, and if it's way off from the service address, they shut it off.
Not if you don't plug in the phone line to the receiver.

Old
08-31-2012, 10:26 PM
yauger27
Long Time Lurker

So, um, what are the televised Jets games in Ohio? I'm very displaced.

yauger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:57 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Meh - as an out-of-town Jets fan I just get Centre Ice. I'm pondering ordering the online Gamecentre instead though.

Ironically, it's the so-called "National" CBC games that screw me over. Shaw Edmonton doesn't give me an option to watch CBC Winnipeg, and of course invariably the Jets game is only shown in Manitoba, while we get a Toronto or Montreal game (usually with an Oilers/Flames/Canucks as the second game).
Gamecentre is absolute garbage. Quality of the video is crap. They blame your internet even though it's their problem. It doesn't always work and it's about half an hour behind real time.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
Gamecentre is absolute garbage. Quality of the video is crap. They blame your internet even though it's their problem. It doesn't always work and it's about half an hour behind real time.
Really?

A half hour behind?

If that's true, that's completely unacceptable. Can anyone else confirm?

Yukon Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Potrzebie

vCash: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSalamon View Post
TSN Jets will be $60 this year correct? (Oct-Mar = 6 months @ $10 per month) Or maybe they'll squeeze an extra $10 by including Sept (pre-season games) and April as an additional month making the annual amount $70.

How much is Centre Ice? Isn't it $250 for the year? It's been a while since I've looked into it but it seems like the best way to get to watch all the Jets games that aren't national telecasts. I'm thinking of getting Centre Ice to watch out of town games and the late night west coast games.
Last year I thought the official pricing was $50 for the year, billed in 5 equal monthly installments.

Potrzebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Really?

A half hour behind?

My buddy had Centre Ice for years, but moved to Game Centre last year. He loved it. Raved about it. Said quality was top notch, picture was great, you got to choose your feed which is nice and I never heard nothing about game being delayed. I'll check with him again, but this is the first complaint I have heard about Game Centre.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 09:18 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Really?

A half hour behind?

It was real time for me when I was demo'ing it on a PC (there was a free 2 week trial last year). I agree with CnW - the experience can be spotty. On a PC, it was pretty good. When I tried it on my friend's PS3, not so much - it was very laggy.

The real problem with Center Ice for me is the blackout restrictions. There are ways around it, but if they find you out, they'll cancel your account with extreme prejudice.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:11 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
It was real time for me when I was demo'ing it on a PC (there was a free 2 week trial last year). I agree with CnW - the experience can be spotty. On a PC, it was pretty good. When I tried it on my friend's PS3, not so much - it was very laggy.

The real problem with Center Ice for me is the blackout restrictions. There are ways around it, but if they find you out, they'll cancel your account with extreme prejudice.
It depends on your device, but it was spotty for me on my brand new laptop. Had the same experiences from my old POS desktop to my new laptop. I'd be watching and then it would lag and I would miss a goal. I want to watch Canucks games, but not for that price when they haven't perfected their system. They hadn't perfected their system for computers and then they add the app, game systems, etc which makes it too much for their system. They blame the spottiness on people's internet. I never had problems with my NFL one and thousands more people use that one.

Old
09-02-2012, 12:50 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
The national coverage is a joke
I dont care if I live in Winnipeg and have an over priced dedicated channel.
There are Jets fans all over the country that are getting bent over
You act like this is something new. If you're a fan of a sports team and happen to not live in it's region, well most people just deal with it and find other ways to keep up. That's pretty much how it works all over North America. I'm a Jets fan and I'm lucky to see just a few Jets games on TV unless I get CenterIce. Most people who live outside of their team's region find ways to keep up. It's nothing new to them.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:01 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Last year I had to "watch" most of my games over internet radio but I think I'm going to do GC this year!

garret9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:09 AM
KingSalamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potrzebie View Post
Last year I thought the official pricing was $50 for the year, billed in 5 equal monthly installments.
Last year was different for all the providers. Shaw and MTS each charged $10 per month but you had to sign on for the full season. There was a free preview so this season(if it starts on time) I can see it being $60-$70 (September to April is about 7 months of hockey).

Now this year it may be $11 per month or it may be held at $10 per month.

And now people are posting that of you are on Bell you will no longer be getting the jets for free (basic) but you'll have to get an additional tier of channels but I'm not too familiar with it.

Overall, 21 games is 1/4 of the season of jets games. Not too bad for people not paying for the Jets channel.

Doesn't seem like we'll be paying for a full (or any) season of the channel at this point.. So it'll likely be a mad dash for people to subscribe when the agreement is made. Or after a lockout there may be people who don't bother with the channel at all.

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 10:15 AM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

TSN Jets will be apart of the package that includes TSN. When I had Bell TSN Habs showed up and I had access to it just not when games were on (per regional rights)

Edit: if you don't subscribe to TSN and you're a hockey fan theres something wrong with you

Old
09-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Repoman

Quote:
Edit: if you don't subscribe to TSN and you're a hockey fan theres something wrong with you
You would be surprised... Last year I took my sister, brother-in-law, and my two nieces to a few games each. They had never been hockey or sports fans. They didn't have any sports channels in their cable package.

Come December when the Shaw free preview was over for TSN Jets I was very surprised to hear my bro-in-law ended up subscribing. A few months later I found out he subscribed to the sports package to get TSN so that they could watch the few games that were on the national TSN network (which I think is ridiculous that they would not also broadcast those on the TSN Jets channel but that's another argument heh).

I bet most hockey fans in the Winnipeg area have very similar stories to this where I would not consider them to be "hockey" fans, but for sure 100% Jets fans.

Repoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Repoman

I also think the Jets TV needs to do a bit more than broadcast the games. I love Raptors TV where they play all kinds of NBA related shows not just Raptors specific. I don't even think they show as many live games as TSN Jets does.

One of the things I love is the "Game in an Hour" show that plays a few times following a game. They play all the main highlights and important parts of the game and its over in an hour. This is great when you have missed a game and want to get a good feeling for how the game went.

Repoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Trizent

26 regular season games on national tv is more than Flames, Oilers, and Canucks have.

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
26 regular season games on national tv is more than Flames, Oilers, and Canucks have.
It's funny because most Jets fans would prefer TSN Jets to air those games. Every CBC game thread is *****ing about the poor job they do in comparison, the fact that they cut away so fast, etc.

It helps the Jets that we're at least in the central time zone though.

I like having Jets games on CBC, but I do hope they work harder to improve their productions.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 08:16 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
CBC certainly can do a good job, IF you don't get their 3rd string announcers and they've got their HD equipment on hand.

Of course, both of those things are usually at the MTL and TOR games.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repoman View Post
I bet most hockey fans in the Winnipeg area have very similar stories to this where I would not consider them to be "hockey" fans, but for sure 100% Jets fans.
I have long described myself as a Jets fan, and NOT a hockey fan.

Not that I don't like hockey - I've played it, I've watched it in various forms. But if you want to know my favourite sport, it's football. Football, I can watch a random game of any two random teams and enjoy it. Some random US NCAA game? Sure. Toronto versus Columbus in the NHL? Pass.

But I grew up in the Peg. I was there at the funeral in '95. I can't explain it, but the Jets may not play my favourite sport, but they sure are my favourite team.

Yukon Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 04:41 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
I rely on Center Ice so I don't get the TSN Jets Broadcast; the more National deals the better for me, because I have to watch the opposing team's broadcast otherwise. Also, I only get the games in HD when the Jets play an American team, which is frustrating.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:52 AM
bodybreak
We're Back!

Quote:
Not if you don't plug in the phone line to the receiver.
That's one way. I've heard they also use GPS to make sure their receivers are where they should be.

Quote:
TSN Jets will be apart of the package that includes TSN. When I had Bell TSN Habs showed up and I had access to it just not when games were on (per regional rights)

CRTC requires all providers to have TSN in their basic package. Another person was saying TSN Jets is going to be moved from the basic package, based on messages he was seeing on his bill. I have the middle tier package, and haven't seen any TSN Jets messages on my bills, so perhaps they're moving it to that level.

What else is on TSN Habs apart from games? I haven't noticed anything. Guess I'm missing out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
Only 8 of the CBC games will truly be "national," by virtue of being in the afternoon, on a Sunday, or at 9pm against the Canucks. Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver take turns being on, but when they are, it's across the country. It's too bad that 6pm Saturday Jets games don't get shown Manitoba-West.

Old
09-03-2012, 12:17 PM
MrGrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybreak View Post
That's one way. I've heard they also use GPS to make sure their receivers are where they should be.
Whoever told you that was incorrect. There is absolutely no GPS tracking of receivers. They use ANI-based call ID to track receiver locations and numbers of receivers in each locale.

I did pull my bill from June and here is the exact wording. Interpret it as you will...

Effective August 30 2012, TSN Jets channel will no longer be part of basic subscription. Please note that you will still be able to subscribe to it as a separate add-on channel during the NHL season. At any time, whether you have questions or wish to modify, extend, cancel or add services, you can always call us at 1888 759-3474.

Given that Aug 30 has passed I did check and I still have TSN-Jets (I also subscribe to TSN).