HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Temporary foot pain

Old
08-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Danikjan

vCash: 500
Temporary foot pain

After a few months of skating in my new boots, I have arch pain ( wide ugly flat feet). I need to skate for about 15-20 minutes, at which point, my arches are on fire, and I need to constantly rest in that interval. Then it magically goes away, and I can continue skating like nothing happened.

Things to consider:
  • I have the yellow super feet, and generally need to wear a more comfortable Orthotics for land sports (eg tennis)
  • I punched out my arches, (maybe not enough?!)
  • my feet do not go numb
  • i can exacerbate it by skating backwards in that interval
  • i use wax laces to tighten my boots, and if I make it too tight (first 5-6 eyelets), the interval lasts longer
  • I'm a little overweight
  • Quit smoking recently, (maybe a circulation thing)
  • Skate 3 times a week, Reebok 9ks (2012), left food is wider, right foot is longer. Both by half of a size. Skates were fitted and purchased at hockey monkey.

For what it's worth, the pain has been decreasing over time. It used to take me a lot longer to get over that pain interval. My guess is that once my feet fully acclimate to ice skating, it will go away.

Question:
Is there any stretching techniques, strengthening exercises while wearing the boot(on dry land), initial on-ice drills that can get rid of it? It just gets very frustrating, especially when I have a lesson, or group activity and have to sit out the first chunk because I cant warm up.

I appreciate all of your input, thank you!

Danikjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:02 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
How tight are you lacing up? I had really bad foot pain for the first 6 months or so when I started. It went away when I realized I was tying up too tight and changed my lacing method.

Not sure how you currently tie them up but try this. Pull the laces just a little snug, not TIGHT, all the way up. Then on the top 3 or 4 eyelets, where the eyelets curve upwards to the ankle, tie it really tight. If you have correctly fitting skate you don't need to have the majority of the laces overly tight. Just make sure you do the top tight to lock your heel down and support your ankles.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Danikjan

all of my bottom ones are snug, and I go really tight on the top 3 or 4. I noticed if i crank the bottom ones, then my feet hurt more and longer.

Danikjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:01 PM
fish7

vCash: 564
Have you tried skating without socks my feet kill me if i wear socks when i skate. When one of my buddies first started playing he said he was having the same problem and he scoffed when i suggested going bare foot. When he finally tried it he was amazed to skate with no pain for the first time

fish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danikjan View Post
all of my bottom ones are snug, and I go really tight on the top 3 or 4. I noticed if i crank the bottom ones, then my feet hurt more and longer.
I get the same result. If I crank the bottom down too hard, my foot can't flex properly and I get the dreaded arch pain. If I get the whole boot snug and then clamp down the top 3-4 to lock in the ankle, I'm usually good.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:56 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danikjan View Post
If you can try going even more loose on the bottom. Just barely pull them snug, but without using any muscle really. If that doesn't work I don't have any other ideas. Good luck. Hope someone solves it for you.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote