HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton extends Jordan Eberle [6 Years/$6M per]

Old
08-31-2012, 08:54 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
I don't get how they imagine that they can extend Lennart Petrell next summer after signing Eberle to that contract?

I would be very grateful if someone could shed light on this issue.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Turris? Discount?
Its obviously a type, it should have read discant.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:05 AM
bombers15

Sure, it's a bit of a risk for the Oilers. Paying Hall and Ebs a lot for potential. But if they do reach their potential, then $6 million a year (in the later years especially) is going to be a bargain.

My own feeling is that it's a good deal.

We can debate about the money all day long. But honestly, I'm just happy to have Ebs locked up. My favourite player on the team.

bombers15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Oates2Neely

People are actually arguing that Eberle is going to be overpaid at $6m ???? This kid is going to tear up the NHL from age 22 & beyond. Unfortunately the 2nd contracts in today's NHL are based on potential, but heck Eberle already put up 76 at age 21, this kid is a star in the making. I'd be more worried if I were a Minnesota fan paying Parise that fat contract at his age, his numbers at best will remain par, but most likely decline in the next few seasons..yikes.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:09 AM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
Yes, you're right, because hockey is all about points. Eberle brings to the ice exactly what Kopitar and Parise do.
He may not be much of a physical threat, but goals win games. The kid plays a whole new game, buries the puck, and supports the play at both ends. But the funny thing is the guy to look out for is the nuge! Yakupov hasn't impressed me a lot, but RNH thinks the game through on a whole new level. Him and eberle are going to shred defense apart.

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:11 AM
bombers15

Also, the other thing we're missing here is how this reflects how things have truly changed for the Oilers. We could always develop young talent, but not keep it due to money, wives, the city, the losing, whatever. Getting players to want to play in Edmonton was a challenge. But things are changing, which is great. And probably makes the rest of the league mad.

bombers15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Pitlick*

A fair market deal for Eberle and the Oilers.

To bad the Oilers have the "living in Edmonton" handicap that prevents them from getting a hometown discount, an often yields a hometown premium. The Jets are having the same problem with Evander Kane.

Pitlick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:14 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJF View Post
Yes, you're right, because hockey is all about points. Eberle brings to the ice exactly what Kopitar and Parise do.
Hockey is entirely about outscoring your opponent. Anyone of average size and skating ability can play sound defensive hockey. Relatively few players can put up points.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:18 AM
Alberta Oilfire

Don't want to see the name Turris in this thread. Not comparable in any way

Alberta Oilfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:18 AM
AvalancheFan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Hockey is entirely about outscoring your opponent. Anyone of average size and skating ability can play sound defensive hockey. Relatively few players can put up points.
Precisely.. Which is why defense is just as important as it prevents the other team from outscoring you.

AvalancheFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:19 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlick View Post

To bad the Oilers have the "living in Edmonton" handicap that prevents them from getting a hometown discount, an often yields a hometown premium. The Jets are having the same problem with Evander Kane.
Because people are taking huge discounts to play in Ottawa, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal. Rick Nash wouldn't even consider waving his no trade clause to play in Ontario.

People take discounts to play for Stanley Cup contenders. That's it.

Old
08-31-2012, 09:20 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalancheFan19 View Post
Precisely.. Which is why defense is just as important as it prevents the other team from outscoring you.
Any NHL caliber skater who wants to play good defense can play good defense.

Eberle wants to play good defense.

Old
08-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Alberta Oilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post
Also, the other thing we're missing here is how this reflects how things have truly changed for the Oilers. We could always develop young talent, but not keep it due to money, wives, the city, the losing, whatever. Getting players to want to play in Edmonton was a challenge. But things are changing, which is great. And probably makes the rest of the league mad.

Ya pretty much, seems like other fanbases have their panties tied in a knot about our Big 4. Envy, Jealousy? It's probably never going to end, oh well these posters were the same ones laughing at us when we couldn't keep Pronger or trade for Heatley or even sign Hossa. Look who's laughing now mother_______!

Alberta Oilfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Bushwick Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombers15 View Post

awesome gif haha

GO OILERS GO

Bushwick Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
Contract negociations are about objectivity, not subjectivity.

Benn's agent won't be able to use Eberle as a comparable because his numbers straight up don't match.
I don't think it's worth comparing the 2 players, cuz it generally gets ugly as it did a couple weeks ago. Keep in mind Benn is a first line centre and an all-star, no sheltered minutes, limited PP time and as sound defensively as they come at his age. He, like his buddy Jordan make really good players look bad quite often. I hope you are right and its all about the G-A-PTS column.

Karitimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:08 AM
Bushwick Bill

edit: nvm

Bushwick Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
People are actually arguing that Eberle is going to be overpaid at $6m ???? This kid is going to tear up the NHL from age 22 & beyond. Unfortunately the 2nd contracts in today's NHL are based on potential, but heck Eberle already put up 76 at age 21, this kid is a star in the making. I'd be more worried if I were a Minnesota fan paying Parise that fat contract at his age, his numbers at best will remain par, but most likely decline in the next few seasons..yikes.
It's mostly because this could have been a lower term and number bridge contract that could make sure he can duplicate the success he had this year, while keeping his rights for a longer period on a more friendly hit in the short run, then pay him his long term, high money deal. Most second contracts aren't huge unless that player had superstar years.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:13 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
It's mostly because this could have been a lower term and number bridge contract that could make sure he can duplicate the success he had this year, while keeping his rights for a longer period on a more friendly hit in the short run, then pay him his long term, high money deal. Most second contracts aren't huge unless that player had superstar years.
We're not worried about money in the short run doing short term bridge contract would cost more money in the long run. I think being 3rd behind Giroux and Malkin in points per minutes played qualifies as a superstar year no?

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlick View Post

No, the Oilers handicap is that they are a 29th/30th place team the past few seasons. These ignorant stereotypes about the city of Edmonton are always good for a laugh or two though. No hometown discount, but as you said, the contracts are both fair market value (probably better than fair) considering both players are giving up two years of UFA.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:23 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
We're not worried about money in the short run doing short term bridge contract would cost more money in the long run. I think being 3rd behind Giroux and Malkin in points per minutes played qualifies as a superstar year no?
Not really. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Doughty or Stamkos, two of the few players who did get those kinds of contracts. He's played 2 years in the NHL. One, he was just under 80 points which is what led to this contract. His first he got 43 points; respectable for a rookie, but still pretty risky to give him a long term contract following a great year, especially since he wasn't facing the top competition. A bridge contract could keep his money low right now, make him prove that he can repeat his success, and keep his rights for a longer period. I'm not hugely against this deal because of the uncertainty of contract value in the 2 or 3 years after, so the price for the type of player we all think he is could be higher. I do think that this is a bit of a risk, and generally prefer to see bridge contracts unless the team can't afford to not pay the player big money.

Old
08-31-2012, 10:30 AM
rajuabju

In about 2 years, if EDM can get a legit goalie, they are going to be a very dangerous team.

rajuabju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:31 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Not really. I'm thinking more along the lines of a Doughty or Stamkos, two of the few players who did get those kinds of contracts. He's played 2 years in the NHL. One, he was just under 80 points which is what led to this contract. His first he got 43 points; respectable for a rookie, but still pretty risky to give him a long term contract following a great year, especially since he wasn't facing the top competition. A bridge contract could keep his money low right now, make him prove that he can repeat his success, and keep his rights for a longer period. I'm not hugely against this deal because of the uncertainty of contract value in the 2 or 3 years after, so the price for the type of player we all think he is could be higher. I do think that this is a bit of a risk, and generally prefer to see bridge contracts unless the team can't afford to not pay the player big money.
And in 4 years if he had 4 more 70-90 point seasons under his belt we may not have been able to afford to pay him that much with all the other young guys up for big contracts. It's called long term cap management. In a world where Tumo Ruutu gets 5.5 long term this a flat out steal anyone argueing otherwise is clueless. There isn't a single GM that wouldn't have signed Eberle to this deal.

Old
08-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
And in 4 years if he had 4 more 70-90 point seasons under his belt we may not have been able to afford to pay him that much with all the other young guys up for big contracts. It's called long term cap management. In a world where Tumo Ruutu gets 5.5 long term this a flat out steal anyone argueing otherwise is clueless. There isn't a single GM that wouldn't have signed Eberle to this deal.
Which is why you would have a smaller term than 4 years. I don't see why a 2 year deal would drive his price up to a much higher margin. 6-6.5 million is around the money a 70-80 point player should make in the current market. If every contract was negotiated using a bad contract as the framework the nhl would be in a much worse place than it is.

Old
08-31-2012, 10:47 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Which is why you would have a smaller term than 4 years. I don't see why a 2 year deal would drive his price up to a much higher margin. 6-6.5 million is around the money a 70-80 point player should make in the current market. If every contract was negotiated using a bad contract as the framework the nhl would be in a much worse place than it is.
And Eberle is a 70-80 point player. What are you arguing again?

Old
08-31-2012, 10:49 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
If the Oil were to sign both players to 2-3 year extensions instead of the 6 & 7 years, what would the cap-hit had likely been?

MeestaDeteta is online now   Reply With Quote