HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Biggest steal from the 2003 Draft.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Sticks and Pucks

vCash: 500
Weber for sure.

If we're talking about which team won the draft then it would be the Ducks getting Getzlaf and Perry AND winning a Cup with them.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack21 View Post
Is it possible that the lockout in 2004 helped the development of the 2003 draft class? Trying to be optimistic if there's a lockout this year.
It's possible considering that the players from the 1993 draft also panned out pretty well when there was a mini-lockout during their 19-year-old season. I think if there is a lockout, guys like Huberdeau and Scheifele (who can both crack the NHL roster this season but would probably be better off spending another year developing in juniors) will benefit the most.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:35 AM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
Weber for sure.

If we're talking about which team won the draft then it would be the Ducks getting Getzlaf and Perry AND winning a Cup with them.
Flyers (Richards and Carter), Nashville (Weber and Suter), Anaheim (Perry and Getzlaf) all made out like bandits. Franchise changing drafts (well more like continuing excellence in Philly's case). Other big days were San Jose (Michalek, Carle, and Pavelski) and Chicago (Seabrook and Byfuglien)

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:15 PM
HyeDray

My list...

Matt Moulson (Round 9 - pick #263)
Shea Weber (Round 2 - pick#49)
Joe Pavelski (Round 7 - pick #205)
Jaroslav Halak (Round 9 - pick #271)
Brian Elliott (Round 9 - pick #291)

Honorable Mention: Lee Stepniak (Round 5 - pick #148)

I think to get the kind of production from these kinds of late picks is amazing. The top 5 I selected may not be the most obvious, but my criteria was to see how productive picks could be in later rounds.

As an Islander fan, Im giving the love to Matt Moulson. This is a 9th round pick who has done nothing but produce consistently for 3 full seasons. By full seasons he has not missed a single game. Not 1. He has 30+ goals per season and 48, 53 and 69 points respectively in each season. Im not sure there is a later round pick that has meant as much to his team.

Shea Weber is the only one on this list that was drafted rather high but lets face it, 30 teams passed him over once, and he slipped down the line in rd #2 as well. Like Parise, it kills me that Mike Milbury world biggest loser passed on Parise, Perry, Getzlaf, Richards to name a few in Rd. 1 and Weber in Rd. #2. Weber is a franchise defender and so considering where he was drafted and his impact, he belongs here.

Joe Pavelski is right there as well. The guy has been an incredibly solid player. Not the same numbers as Moulson, but he has been doing it a bit longer. A terrific player.

Some may view my 2 goalie selections as not worthy as goalies often get picked in later rounds, but these two have both made strong impacts and to be selected so late in the draft, perhaps considered throw-aways certainly, they have become bona fide NHL stars.

HONORABLE MENTION: Some don't like Stepniak, but as a 5th round pick, he has produced as a secondary threat in the NHL for years, and deserves to be on this list.

It is easy for me to say a guy like Parise is a steal *but he is a steal for the Devils. It is not as if the entire league had the chance to draft him multiple times and overlooked him. As an Isles fan, it kills me that the worst GM in NHL history passed him over mostly because he didnt like playing against his father, but Parise was considered at the time a 10-20 pick, and that's where he went.

Perry, Richards, Getzlaf all great players, but I am not sure I would call them "steals."

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
My list...

Matt Moulson (Round 9 - pick #263)
Shea Weber (Round 2 - pick#49)
Joe Pavelski (Round 7 - pick #205)
Jaroslav Halak (Round 9 - pick #271)
Brian Elliott (Round 9 - pick #291)

Honorable Mention: Lee Stepniak (Round 5 - pick #148)

I think to get the kind of production from these kinds of late picks is amazing. The top 5 I selected may not be the most obvious, but my criteria was to see how productive picks could be in later rounds.

As an Islander fan, Im giving the love to Matt Moulson. This is a 9th round pick who has done nothing but produce consistently for 3 full seasons. By full seasons he has not missed a single game. Not 1. He has 30+ goals per season and 48, 53 and 69 points respectively in each season. Im not sure there is a later round pick that has meant as much to his team.

Shea Weber is the only one on this list that was drafted rather high but lets face it, 30 teams passed him over once, and he slipped down the line in rd #2 as well. Like Parise, it kills me that Mike Milbury world biggest loser passed on Parise, Perry, Getzlaf, Richards to name a few in Rd. 1 and Weber in Rd. #2. Weber is a franchise defender and so considering where he was drafted and his impact, he belongs here.

Joe Pavelski is right there as well. The guy has been an incredibly solid player. Not the same numbers as Moulson, but he has been doing it a bit longer. A terrific player.

Some may view my 2 goalie selections as not worthy as goalies often get picked in later rounds, but these two have both made strong impacts and to be selected so late in the draft, perhaps considered throw-aways certainly, they have become bona fide NHL stars.

HONORABLE MENTION: Some don't like Stepniak, but as a 5th round pick, he has produced as a secondary threat in the NHL for years, and deserves to be on this list.

It is easy for me to say a guy like Parise is a steal *but he is a steal for the Devils. It is not as if the entire league had the chance to draft him multiple times and overlooked him. As an Isles fan, it kills me that the worst GM in NHL history passed him over mostly because he didnt like playing against his father, but Parise was considered at the time a 10-20 pick, and that's where he went.

Perry, Richards, Getzlaf all great players, but I am not sure I would call them "steals."
Agree with this list, good job.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:27 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecorn View Post
A lot of names mentioned for biggest steal. How about another question? Now that we are years down the road who would be the first 5 players drafted from the 2003 draft.
I would go

Staal
Weber
Getslaff
Vanek
Perry

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 07:55 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

to early to tell give it another year or two...

PricerStopDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote