HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

MMA General News and Discussion Pt. Deux (Lesnar rumors)

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 03:19 PM
End of Line
Human After All

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
All the fighters said it was a natural move for Chael to jump up. Most questioned why he moved down (lack of power, really) a few years back. He has a solid build that can hold a ton of muscle mass.

BUT "240 and ripped" could be dangerous. He has 4 months, but you dont want to transform your body in order to cut.
As long as he doesn't become bloated like Mir did when he added weight, I think he'll be alright.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
11-29-2012, 03:32 PM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
As long as he doesn't become bloated like Mir did when he added weight, I think he'll be alright.
At 240 and ripped, I assume he's not bloated.
But, 240 and bloated would probably be better than 240 and not bloated, if he's trying to make weight.

Mir tried to put on too much weight too fast... now he has to live with an 'exemption' the rest of his life. Chael already has that, and will be much smarter about it. Mir just put on weight because he was fighting heavier guys. He didnt do it to improve his game.

Old
11-29-2012, 03:35 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

If he's ripped at 240, I feel bad for him when he needs to cut.

Old
11-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Peter Griffin

http://www.mma-manifesto.com/ufc-fig...-earnings.html

Interesting bit of information. This doesn't include undisclosed bonuses or PPV cuts, but it's interesting to note how much certain guys have earned strictly through their "show" and "win" money. Anderson Silva is #7 on the list, below Bisping at #4(WTF?), but when factoring in the cut Silva gets from PPV I'm sure he's much, much higher.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:12 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post

Interesting bit of information. This doesn't include undisclosed bonuses or PPV cuts, but it's interesting to note how much certain guys have earned strictly through their "show" and "win" money. Anderson Silva is #7 on the list, below Bisping at #4(WTF?), but when factoring in the cut Silva gets from PPV I'm sure he's much, much higher.
Bisping fights more often that Silva, that's why he's higher.

Old
11-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Bisping fights more often that Silva, that's why he's higher.
Bisping has one more UFC fight than Silva...

The reason Bisping his higher is because a large chunk of Silva's earnings aren't included in this list because they are PPV revenue and when he's getting PPV revenue it seems he doesn't get a "win bonus". I just find it kind of alarming that Bisping is so well paid. I don't know many non-Brit's that shell out the cash to watch Bisping fight. Do I enjoy some of his fights, sure, but he's not really a guy I'm purchasing a PPV to watch.

Old
11-30-2012, 02:44 PM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Bisping has one more UFC fight than Silva...

The reason Bisping his higher is because a large chunk of Silva's earnings aren't included in this list because they are PPV revenue and when he's getting PPV revenue it seems he doesn't get a "win bonus". I just find it kind of alarming that Bisping is so well paid. I don't know many non-Brit's that shell out the cash to watch Bisping fight. Do I enjoy some of his fights, sure, but he's not really a guy I'm purchasing a PPV to watch.
Most people tune in to Bisping fights to see him get his ass kicked. I think most want to see him fight Hendo in every fight.

As for fighter pay, just re-watched Malki Kawa talking about the Mitrione situation and he said undercard fighters can get up to $10-$15K per fight from just sponsors. That can pretty much double some fighters pay. And the guys on the main card are obviously going to make a lot more since they get walk ins, which is a huge part of sponsors because their ads will be on TV more. Sponsorship alone could probably double a lot of fighters pay.

Old
11-30-2012, 03:07 PM
m9

vCash: 50
Lists like that are such a waste of time, I don't know why anyone even bothers. GSP made more from fighting Condit than any number on that list.

Old
11-30-2012, 03:28 PM
1ntrovert*

Rowdy Ronda: Pre-fight sex for UFC's Rousey

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2012/11/..._loads_on_sex/

Personally I like to have sex with lots of men before my fights. two men = double the testosterone. GRRRRRR

Old
11-30-2012, 04:20 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Quote:

69 James Toney $ 500,000

Old
11-30-2012, 04:23 PM
kurt
the last emperor

I don't understand why people factor in sponsorship money as a part of fighter pay, especially when they don't in the same breath mention the costs fighters incur to fund their own training.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:18 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
69 James Toney $ 500,000
What a dark day for MMA...

Old
11-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
What a dark day for MMA...
On the bright side the IRS immediately seized the money after the fight. Not sure if he got it back or not though. Still a ridiculous amount to pay in order to prove what everyone already knew.

Old
11-30-2012, 05:31 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
On the bright side the IRS immediately seized the money after the fight. Not sure if he got it back or not though. Still a ridiculous amount to pay in order to prove what everyone already knew.
Well there is that

Old
12-01-2012, 12:01 AM
MurrayBannerman
Machu Picchu Toews

vCash: 2660

Old
12-01-2012, 12:59 AM
BGDDYKWL

I understand she does a lot of this for promotion, and to her credit she's put women's MMA back on the map, but I'm just not a fan of hers. I found Carano to be far more likable.

Old
12-01-2012, 01:13 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Just read something where Dolce said Sonnen was 218 in the cage at 148 against Silva and walks around at 230, so I guess it's not as big a surprise as I thought.
You have to take everything Dolce says with a grain of salt. Ultimately he's trying to promote a business. I find it hard to believe that Sonnen was 218 in the cage vs. Silva, but obviously I don't know for sure. If you take a closer look at that fight though what you see is Sonnen come out fresh, put Silva on his back, and dominate the round. Sonnen is a cardio machine who can push the pace like no other, but a minute into the 2nd round you could see he was exhausted. I've never seen that happen to him before. Not to take anything away from Silva, but he won that fight because Sonnen gassed. Sonnen clearly packed on some muscle, and that likely led to a tougher weight cut, and thus his cardio suffered. So you hear all this talk about how much guys cut, what they weigh in the cage, etc., but you have to be careful that it doesn't come at the expense of cardio.

Old
12-01-2012, 02:02 AM
kurt
the last emperor

And I'd be willing to bet Toney got a piece of whatever these "sizeable" mystery shares of PPV revenue are.

And sponsorship money.

... And I don't think he trained one bit.

Old
12-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
And I'd be willing to bet Toney got a piece of whatever these "sizeable" mystery shares of PPV revenue are.
It was said he didn't get any of the PPV revenue, but who really knows. I would imagine considering he got $500K they didn't give him PPV revenue on top of that.

Quote:
... And I don't think he trained one bit.
He trained for months prior to the fight defending the takedown and working on his ground game!

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 12-01-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old
12-01-2012, 01:54 PM
m9

Quote:
I don't understand why people factor in sponsorship money as a part of fighter pay, especially when they don't in the same breath mention the costs fighters incur to fund their own training.
Why shouldn't you include sponsorships? Do you not include tips or commissions at other jobs? I agree the costs such as training need to be included as well.

That being said, these lists are just so useless with all of the other variables. What does that list tell anyone?

Old
12-01-2012, 02:42 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Why shouldn't you include sponsorships? Do you not include tips or commissions at other jobs? I agree the costs such as training need to be included as well.

That being said, these lists are just so useless with all of the other variables. What does that list tell anyone?
Baseline fighter pay?

Old
12-01-2012, 03:04 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Baseline fighter pay?
Which is just a piece if the puzzle. It just spreads the 'fighters don't make any money' myth when uneducated people read these reports.

Old
12-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Which is just a piece if the puzzle. It just spreads the 'fighters don't make any money' myth when uneducated people read these reports.
Personally I thought it was interesting just to see how much money some fighters actually do make. A guy like Bisping sure does have a sweet contract compared to some other fighters.

Old
12-01-2012, 03:11 PM
HighAndTight
Pimp Squad For Life

Quote:
Personally I thought it was interesting just to see how much money some fighters actually do make. A guy like Bisping sure does have a sweet contract compared to some other fighters.
Well he does have the corner on almost the entire British market.

Old
12-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
He deserves it. In North America people don't really like him and he's not a star but he's still one of the best MWs in the UFC and he's huge in England/Europe.

Closed Thread