HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

MMA General News and Discussion Pt. Deux (Lesnar rumors)

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2012, 03:30 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
He deserves it. In North America people don't really like him and he's not a star but he's still one of the best MWs in the UFC and he's huge in England/Europe.
That and the people in NA will pay to see if he loses.

Old
12-01-2012, 04:21 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Report: GSP wants $50 million to fight Anderson Silva

Quote:
During the latest episode of The MMA Beat, Mike Straka dropped some news via "somebody close to St. Pierre" that the French-Canadian wants to get paid a significant amount of cash to battle the 185-pound king.

"I was told by somebody very close to Georges that Georges today makes close to $8 million a fight. So to fight Anderson Silva he's going to ask for $50 million."

I'm no mathematician nor an economist but I do know for a fact that that's a **** ton of money. Now how did that number come to be?

"Because he said that Georges has 10 fights left in his career at $8 million a fight. But he believes that Anderson could actually hurt him, could physically hurt him and end his career. So to take that chance he wants $50 million and that's exactly the number he's going to go to Dana White with."

That's some compellingly cold logic. "I'll take the fight but because he might kill my career, I want to be paid as though I never took the fight and went about my career as it was" makes sense here.
http://www.mmamania.com/2012/12/1/37...-silva-ufc-mma

Old
12-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
I watched that earlier today and laughed when I heard Straka say that. GSP doesn't want to fight Anderson but I doubt he would go to Dana and ask for $50M. He knows that's not going to happen.

Also, going back to the discussion on the previous page, we have no idea how much these guys really make because of the PPV money, other bonuses, sponsor money, etc but I don't believe that $8M per fight figure Straka threw out there.

Old
12-01-2012, 09:16 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
http://www.mma-manifesto.com/ufc-fig...-earnings.html

Interesting bit of information. This doesn't include undisclosed bonuses or PPV cuts, but it's interesting to note how much certain guys have earned strictly through their "show" and "win" money. Anderson Silva is #7 on the list, below Bisping at #4(WTF?), but when factoring in the cut Silva gets from PPV I'm sure he's much, much higher.
I guess it's interesting to see those numbers, but at the end of the day, certain fighters make a hell of a lot more than that, I read somewhere that GSP makes on average 7-8 mill per fight after everything is said and done

Old
12-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
They should just stop that non-sense. I don't understand why anyone thought it was a good idea for those two fight in the first place. They're not a good fit, just like Jones and Sonnen. Let's pair up two smaller guys with no knockout power in the ring with two bigger guys who only need one mistake to capitalize, and don't make many themselves. If anything, Silva-GSP would be one of the most boring fights - it'd be Silva v. Maia but the whole 5 rounds. GSP fighting not to get hit, while Silva antagonizing him for it.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Cruz probably out until 2014 after second ACL surgery...

Quote:
Dominick Cruz underwent another major knee surgery this past week, and it'll likely further delay his return to the octagon.

Trainer Eric Del Fierro today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Cruz's anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) was replaced after his body rejected one from a cadaver.

The UFC bantamweight champion is in Los Angeles today to meet with a doctor who will give him a timeline for his return, DelFierro said, though he estimated it could set the fighter back another six to nine months.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/uf...nd-acl-surgery

Old
12-03-2012, 03:47 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:

That sucks because I'm not totally sure McDonald is ready for the title fight with Barao. That'd be a great fight after say another McDonald fight.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:

Barao time to defend.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:59 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Barao time to defend.
Nah. We'll have an interim-interim belt.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Barao time to defend.
It's how it's SUPPOSED to be in the 1st place. Absolutely ridiculous IMO what Condit did, you don't wait 10 months for the other champ when you have a duty to defend the belt. Even more ridiculous is Hendricks saying he won't fight if it's not for the title, why in the world would you refuse a crap load of money when the champ is unavailable after claiming you're already the best of your division?

Old
12-05-2012, 11:39 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
It's how it's SUPPOSED to be in the 1st place. Absolutely ridiculous IMO what Condit did, you don't wait 10 months for the other champ when you have a duty to defend the belt. Even more ridiculous is Hendricks saying he won't fight if it's not for the title, why in the world would you refuse a crap load of money when the champ is unavailable after claiming you're already the best of your division?
Yeah agreed. I know why they don't want to, but it's a sport and your job is to go out there and fight. Its a frustrating sense of entitlement these guys seem to get.

Old
12-05-2012, 11:51 AM
jw2

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
A crap load of money for one fight vs. a crap load of money for the rest of your career and a championship belt.

Old
12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Yeah agreed. I know why they don't want to, but it's a sport and your job is to go out there and fight. Its a frustrating sense of entitlement these guys seem to get.
I'm more amazed by the sense of entitlement fans seem to get. These guys are risking their health every time they train for a fight, and every time they fight. I don't blame guys one bit for insisting on title fights once they've clearly established their case for deserving one. They may never get that chance again. And a fighter's well within his rights to wait. He's not getting paid while he's waiting, so what's the problem? Fighters aren't obligated to enter the cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
A crap load of money for one fight vs. a crap load of money for the rest of your career and a championship belt.
Exactly.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Peter Griffin

I really don't have an issue with Hendricks saying he want's the title fight, the guy has definitely earned it. His last three wins, two of which were devastating KO's, are all against guys who are easily top 10 calibre. I understand the desire for GSP to fight Diaz, he hates the guy and it's likely a bigger payday, but he hasn't earned the fight IMO.

Old
12-05-2012, 03:55 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I'm more amazed by the sense of entitlement fans seem to get. These guys are risking their health every time they train for a fight, and every time they fight. I don't blame guys one bit for insisting on title fights once they've clearly established their case for deserving one. They may never get that chance again. And a fighter's well within his rights to wait. He's not getting paid while he's waiting, so what's the problem? Fighters aren't obligated to enter the cage.
I know that if I told my boss that I was going on leave and wasn't working until I got a promotion it probably wouldn't go over well. If an NFL team goes 16-0 they don't just wait it out until the Super Bowl, they play the playoff games in front of them to get there.

Again I feel it is mainly posturing anyway, usually for more money.

I don't care as much in cases like Hendricks, but the interim belt is something that needs to be defended until the champ is back. If you don't want to defend the belt then don't fight for it.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
The point of having an interim champion is so the title can be defended while the actual champion is out. It's one thing if the UFC wants them to wait for the champion, that's out of the fighter's control. However, there's no reason to have an interim belt if the interim champion is just going to sit out for a year and wait for the actual champion to return. When an interim title fight is scheduled, isn't it implied that the winner of that fight will have to defend the title at least once?

I think both the UFC and the fighters are to blame here. They shouldn't even schedule an interim title fight if they don't expect the winner to defend that belt. Or they need to tell these guys they will have to defend the belt and can't just sit there and wait for the champion to recover from his injury.

As for Hendricks, I also blame Dana and the UFC in this situation. Many of us here have been saying this for a while, they need to stop promising these guys title shots. If Dana doesn't say the winner will be the #1 contender, then guys like Rashad, Henderson, Hendricks, and even Nate Diaz will have no choice but to fight again.

Hendricks is well within his rights to just sit tight and refuse to fight someone other than GSP. Dana and the UFC are also within their rights to tell him to fight again or else he's not getting a title shot.

Old
12-05-2012, 10:25 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
I really don't have an issue with Hendricks saying he want's the title fight, the guy has definitely earned it. His last three wins, two of which were devastating KO's, are all against guys who are easily top 10 calibre. I understand the desire for GSP to fight Diaz, he hates the guy and it's likely a bigger payday, but he hasn't earned the fight IMO.
What else does he have to do? He's just beaten 3 top-10 guys, and finished 2 of them where even GSP couldn't. I don't blame him for waiting one bit. Unless the UFC offers him a big payday as co-main vs Dan Hardy in the UK or something, I wouldn't want to jeopardize my opportunity if I was him.

Quote:
I know that if I told my boss that I was going on leave and wasn't working until I got a promotion it probably wouldn't go over well. If an NFL team goes 16-0 they don't just wait it out until the Super Bowl, they play the playoff games in front of them to get there.

I don't care as much in cases like Hendricks, but the interim belt is something that needs to be defended until the champ is back. If you don't want to defend the belt then don't fight for it.
Your job may not be the most valid comparison. Contractors turn down work that isn't worth their while all the time. Or they negotiate the terms of a job before accepting. That's what is happening here. As for your NFL example, no teams don't sit out until the super bowl, but 16-0 teams do limit the minutes of their first string players.

Quote:
The point of having an interim champion is so the title can be defended while the actual champion is out. It's one thing if the UFC wants them to wait for the champion, that's out of the fighter's control. However, there's no reason to have an interim belt if the interim champion is just going to sit out for a year and wait for the actual champion to return. When an interim title fight is scheduled, isn't it implied that the winner of that fight will have to defend the title at least once?

I think both the UFC and the fighters are to blame here. They shouldn't even schedule an interim title fight if they don't expect the winner to defend that belt. Or they need to tell these guys they will have to defend the belt and can't just sit there and wait for the champion to recover from his injury.

As for Hendricks, I also blame Dana and the UFC in this situation. Many of us here have been saying this for a while, they need to stop promising these guys title shots. If Dana doesn't say the winner will be the #1 contender, then guys like Rashad, Henderson, Hendricks, and even Nate Diaz will have no choice but to fight again.

Hendricks is well within his rights to just sit tight and refuse to fight someone other than GSP. Dana and the UFC are also within their rights to tell him to fight again or else he's not getting a title shot.
I think the point of an interim champion is to promote an event to casual fans, and guarantee a fighter they will fight the champion when they're healthy enough to fight. And you're absolutely right, Dana and the UFC can certainly push back if they feel the need to. It'll likely result in a compromise that makes sense for both sides. But power to Hendricks for doing what he needs to do to make that compromise happen.

Old
12-06-2012, 02:24 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Jeremy Botter @jeremybotter
Dana says the winner of shogun/Alex gets the next title shot.
https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/sta...83737050632192

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-06-2012, 02:33 PM
jw2

Quote:

Fighters are contractors.
So, if you were doing a contract job, say, a new roof on a house, and you finished the roof... you dont have to automatically start on the siding.

Old
12-06-2012, 03:34 PM
m9

Quote:
Fighters are contractors.
So, if you were doing a contract job, say, a new roof on a house, and you finished the roof... you dont have to automatically start on the siding.
So you just do nothing? Is that good for business or keeping customers happy?

Old
12-06-2012, 04:03 PM
jw2

Quote:
So you just do nothing? Is that good for business or keeping customers happy?
That's up to the contractor.

Old
12-06-2012, 05:48 PM
m9

Quote:
That's up to the contractor.
I'm sorry, but whatever comparison you are trying to make makes no sense to me. This sounds like a world to me where nobody does anything, business isn't conducted, and nobody makes money. I'm just going to leave this topic alone from here.

Old
12-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Jasper

vCash: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Good, really rooting for Gus now. Maybe I'll agree with some other people in that he might not necessarily deserve a title shot (yet) but at least it's an interesting fight. Jones vs. Shogun II doesn't interest me at all. I don't really mind guys getting bumped up a bit due to the fact they might match up better than others... in this case that's a bunch of guys Jones has already beaten pretty handily. Except for Henderson I guess.

Last edited by Jasper: 12-06-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old
12-06-2012, 07:09 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
well, once again, Dana lied (about never having women fight in the UFC)

Quote:
UFC NAMES ROUSEY CHAMP, WILL BE MAIN EVENT IN FEBRUARY
http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=411117

female MMA just doesnt do it for me

Old
12-06-2012, 11:54 PM
BGDDYKWL

Absolutely absurd that the Gus/Shogun winner would get the next title shot over Hendo (assuming he wins). Only way this makes sense is if Hendo's stepping in for Sonnen.

Closed Thread