HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

MMA General News and Discussion Pt. Deux (Lesnar rumors)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2013, 01:10 AM
  #401
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,523
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
It still would be "that big".
Would it? Big names but a meaningless fight. Neither guy was the champion and they were no longer considered unbeatable like a couple years earlier. Would a 35 year old Lesnar coming off two straight losses vs a 35 year old Fedor coming off three straight losses even sellout Cowboys stadium?

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 01:21 AM
  #402
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,517
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Would it? Big names but a meaningless fight. Neither guy was the champion and they were no longer considered unbeatable like a couple years earlier. Would a 35 year old Lesnar coming off two straight losses vs a 35 year old Fedor coming off three straight losses even sellout Cowboys stadium?
Like it or not, I'm pretty sure Lesnar/Fedor could still have the biggest draw potential in MMA (outside of a Silva/GSP superfight).

kurt is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 01:56 AM
  #403
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Like it or not, I'm pretty sure Lesnar/Fedor could still have the biggest draw potential in MMA (outside of a Silva/GSP superfight).
Yeah even with both guys losing, it'd still be probably the UFC's biggest card ever, no matter what was under it. Both guys have appeal to more of the casual fans. Hell, even if they booked that fight for this summer, it'd still sell like crazy.

CNS is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 04:19 AM
  #404
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,706
vCash: 500
It would've been a huge fight no doubt, but I really think they should to Fedor-Anderson. That would be HUGE. Arguably the two GOATs going at it. Anderson doesn't feel Weidman is ready for a shot, and he's the top guy in that division, so that would give him time to get one more fight under his belt against Rockhold/Vitor/Lombard in a number one contender fight, and in the meantime we can see what would be quite possibly the biggest fight in the history of the sport.

BGDDYKWL is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 11:50 AM
  #405
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,715
vCash: 500
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...an-title-fight

"Upon his return, Weidman said he still wants Silva. But though White has suggested the champ's next challenge will come from the middleweight division, it won't necessarily be Weidman.


"We're waiting on something and want to see if this thing pans out," White said. "When we're ready to announce it, we'll announce it. [Silva] will defend his title, but it won't be a super fight.""


Only things I can think of are an impressive finish by Hector Lombard over Okami or a possible drop to 185 for Rashad. If it was Rockhold getting the shot they wouldn't need to wait on anything really, unless he's the last ditch option.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 11:56 AM
  #406
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,442
vCash: 500
Got a feeling it'll be Rashad depending on how he does against Lil Nog on Saturday.

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 12:05 PM
  #407
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,564
vCash: 500
Weidman v Jacare would be good.

m9 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 03:05 PM
  #408
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,517
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
It would've been a huge fight no doubt, but I really think they should to Fedor-Anderson. That would be HUGE. Arguably the two GOATs going at it. Anderson doesn't feel Weidman is ready for a shot, and he's the top guy in that division, so that would give him time to get one more fight under his belt against Rockhold/Vitor/Lombard in a number one contender fight, and in the meantime we can see what would be quite possibly the biggest fight in the history of the sport.
I would love to see that as well. I think Fedor would have to get to 205-210 for it to get approved by a commission though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...an-title-fight

"Upon his return, Weidman said he still wants Silva. But though White has suggested the champ's next challenge will come from the middleweight division, it won't necessarily be Weidman.

"We're waiting on something and want to see if this thing pans out," White said. "When we're ready to announce it, we'll announce it. [Silva] will defend his title, but it won't be a super fight.""

Only things I can think of are an impressive finish by Hector Lombard over Okami or a possible drop to 185 for Rashad. If it was Rockhold getting the shot they wouldn't need to wait on anything really, unless he's the last ditch option.
Has Rashad said anything about going to 185?

kurt is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 03:10 PM
  #409
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Has Rashad said anything about going to 185?
Yes he's talked about a desire to fight Anderson and that he'd only likely fight at 185 if it were for the belt.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/rashad-evan...move-to-185lbs

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 05:39 PM
  #410
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Got a feeling it'll be Rashad depending on how he does against Lil Nog on Saturday.
That's the feeling I'm getting as well. I like the fight for sure, but my concern is if Anderson wants to fight say early summer then you're looking at Rashad having to drop 20 pounds in like 4 months. Certainly could be done, but who knows how that's gonna affect him in the ring.

BGDDYKWL is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 10:19 PM
  #411
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,517
vCash: 400
Yeah, unless Rashad is already cutting weight, Anderson may have to take another fight while he waits for that. Maybe at LHW again.

kurt is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 10:27 PM
  #412
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,564
vCash: 500
They should just fight at 205.

m9 is offline  
Old
01-27-2013, 11:00 PM
  #413
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,564
vCash: 500
Thinking about the Alvarez/Bellator situation. It sounds like they will be forced to put up a PPV with Alvarez/Chandler.

Question is.. what does it take for people to buy it and what's the cost?

Do you charge 29.95 and sign Rampage to a one-fight deal? Alvarez/Chandler and King Mo/Rampage would probably get some buys at the decent price.

m9 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:33 AM
  #414
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Rashad has nothing for Silva.

That fight is a waste of time.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:55 AM
  #415
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,523
vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Thinking about the Alvarez/Bellator situation. It sounds like they will be forced to put up a PPV with Alvarez/Chandler.

Question is.. what does it take for people to buy it and what's the cost?

Do you charge 29.95 and sign Rampage to a one-fight deal? Alvarez/Chandler and King Mo/Rampage would probably get some buys at the decent price.
Would they do that just to get Alvarez back? I'm not a big Bellator fan so I'm not sure how it works exactly but wouldn't that screw their tournament thing up? I know Mo fought last week and that was his first tournament fight. Do they fight every three months or sooner?

Either Bjorn Rebney or their lawyer told the judge they're planning on having Alvarez fight Chandler on PPV on March 30th. Chandler said he hasn't heard anything about that. Alvarez and a couple of reporters are saying Rebney and his lawyer basically lied right to the judge.

Even if they put on the fights you suggested and charged that price, I doubt they would reach 200K buys. Them putting on a PPV event would be enough to satisfy the terms of the contract but Alvarez still gets screwed because he wouldn't make anything extra for PPV buys.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 12:57 PM
  #416
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,489
vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Rashad has nothing for Silva.

That fight is a waste of time.
Agreed.

AndyPipkin is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 01:52 PM
  #417
jw2
Registered User
 
jw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 643
Rashad is one of the most well-rounded fighters, with a background in wrestling.

If Rashad has nothing to offer Anderson, does anyone???

jw2 is offline  
Old
01-28-2013, 05:48 PM
  #418
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Rashad is one of the most well-rounded fighters, with a background in wrestling.

If Rashad has nothing to offer Anderson, does anyone???
It's sounds funny because while you are absolutely right, I would tend to agree. Rashad isn't great at anything. He's very good, and I really think you have to be great at something to beat Anderson. I could easily see Rashad taking a round or two, but ultimately I see him getting caught. The reason I feel Weidman has a better chance against Silva is he's bigger, longer reach, as good or better wrestler, and the ability to finish guys once he gets them down with either elbows or a submission. Rashad doesn't really pose as much of a threat when he's on top. It's still a big fight though and would be interesting to see.

BGDDYKWL is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 08:41 AM
  #419
jw2
Registered User
 
jw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
It's sounds funny because while you are absolutely right, I would tend to agree. Rashad isn't great at anything. He's very good, and I really think you have to be great at something to beat Anderson. I could easily see Rashad taking a round or two, but ultimately I see him getting caught. The reason I feel Weidman has a better chance against Silva is he's bigger, longer reach, as good or better wrestler, and the ability to finish guys once he gets them down with either elbows or a submission. Rashad doesn't really pose as much of a threat when he's on top. It's still a big fight though and would be interesting to see.
I dont see the reach advantage/difference of Weidman-Evans as significant.
As for wrestling, I still view Rashad as one of the top wrestlers until proven otherwise. With that, he's fought at HW (TUF) and LHW, and has an obvious stength advantage over Silva and Weidman. I even think Rashad is faster, and more ellusive on his feet than Weidman, as well as extremely unorthodox with his standup that's led to some nice KO's.

Rashad has the wrestling background to out Chael Silva to grind out a victory.
He has the speed to dodge Silva.
He has the strength to hang with Silva.
He has the endurance to grind out a 5 rounder.
He has the experience to do so.
I dont think Weidman is ready, or better than Rashad in any aspect of the sport... yet

As far as Rashad's GnP... his most significant win came this way. I'd say that's good enough.

jw2 is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 07:05 PM
  #420
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I dont see the reach advantage/difference of Weidman-Evans as significant.
As for wrestling, I still view Rashad as one of the top wrestlers until proven otherwise. With that, he's fought at HW (TUF) and LHW, and has an obvious stength advantage over Silva and Weidman. I even think Rashad is faster, and more ellusive on his feet than Weidman, as well as extremely unorthodox with his standup that's led to some nice KO's.
I agree, and I actually think that is a negative. Reason being, I have a feeling he'll be wore willing to stand and exchange with Anderson, and I have a feeling we'd see a Machida scenario all over again.

I'm not so sure, however, that he's stronger than Weidman. In the weight room perhaps, but I can't remember too many instances where I felt he was really overpowering his opponent. I know Rashad's more accomplished in MMA, but Weidman is the far more credentialed wrestler, and my guess based on that as well as what I've seen out of him, I think Weidman may be the better MMA wrestler.

Quote:
I dont think Weidman is ready, or better than Rashad in any aspect of the sport... yet
I know you said you don't think the length would factor in, but Weidman is considerably taller with considerably longer reach. He stands a better chance at range than Rashad IMO. Rashad's going to have to be constantly figuring out how to close that distance without getting caught. As we know, Anderson only needs the tiniest of windows. And again, I'm not saying Weidman would be favored over Rashad, because he wouldn't, but I think stylistically he may pose the bigger threat to Anderson. The other thing is the unknowns with Weidman also ironically make him more intriguing for me. We know Rashad is very good but not great. Weidman could be great. We know Rashad's chin is suspect. Weidman's very possibly could be better. We've seen Rashad against the absolute top guys (Machida, Jones) and he was really never able to do anything to either.

Quote:
As far as Rashad's GnP... his most significant win came this way. I'd say that's good enough.
He's not a killer though. And I'm not saying Weidman necessarily is either, but I feel like his offensive submissions along with elbows present different challenges for Anderson. If the Rashad-Anderson fight does happen, I really hope it's at 205.

BGDDYKWL is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 10:02 PM
  #421
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Rashad has nothing for Silva.

That fight is a waste of time.
Silva's camp wants Cung Le. That's a bigger waste of time.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 11:21 PM
  #422
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Silva's camp wants Cung Le. That's a bigger waste of time.
If they can fight on an island, and travel over there on little skiffs, then I am down.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
01-29-2013, 11:34 PM
  #423
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,263
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Rashad is one of the most well-rounded fighters, with a background in wrestling.

If Rashad has nothing to offer Anderson, does anyone???

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
01-31-2013, 05:49 PM
  #424
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,251
vCash: 672
Interesting...


Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani

Dana: they are starting UFC rankings. Their own official rankings. Wow.

Dana: 90 media members will vote on the rankings. The Monday after this event polls will go out and it will begin.

Dana: buuuut regardless of the rankings, I'll put together the fights the people want to see.

CNS is offline  
Old
02-01-2013, 02:55 AM
  #425
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,523
vCash: 645
Some rumours about Vitor Belfort failing his drug test are floating around. I don't know if Bisping has heard the same unconfirmed internet rumours or something else but he tweeted about it....

Quote:
Michael Bisping @bisping
Hope these rumours aren't true.
Quote:
Michael Bisping @bisping
About a certain someone who I fought recently failing his drug test. I hope it's not true.
He looked huge for that fight and me and my friends were joking about him being on something. Then he refused to answer the question about TRT so we thought maybe he just got one of those BS exemptions. I think it was reported that he had gotten an exemption for one of his previous fights as well. Even though I think using TRT is still cheating and shouldn't be allowed, I'm kinda hoping that's all it is and the rumours aren't true. I really don't want to hear Bisping cry about this and say he got screwed out of a potential shot at the title.

Avs_19 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.