HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

MMA General News and Discussion Pt. Deux (Lesnar rumors)

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 06:36 PM
m9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I'm truly curious about Arlovski/Rumble. I wonder if winner will get back to the UFC and if Rumble wins, will he actually come back as a HW? He'll for sure be the only guy to ever fight at 170 AND 265 in the UFC right?
Yeah it could be a pretty hilarious scenario. And the crazier thing is.. he could win fights at HW in the UFC. Do people not think he can beat Gonzaga? Schaub? Wrestle down Lavar Johnson or Mark Hunt? It's hard to say how his wrestling strength will translate to HW but it will be interesting if it does.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:42 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Because Bellator has shown better history for landing talented guys before the break out. Yes, WSOF has guys like Spong, Rumble, Timmeh and Arlovski, but they don't have the kind of history with young talent that Bellator has.
They have at the lighter weight classes, sure. But they also jumped in before the UFC was really going for those classes. Now that the UFC has, there aren't as many guys that are taking the restrictive Bellator contracts. Their talent pool at HW, 205, and 185 has always been extremely limited.

Also, despite WSOF being new they have a working relationship with the UFC that Bellator doesn't have. If a guy wants to get back in the UFC and thinks he is close, he will now sign with WSOF. It's really that simple. If it's true that Fitch signed with WSOF, it will surprise most people but it won't surprise me at all. Bellator will get a talent spike as well but for many of these guys WSOF makes sense.

The guys who should be going over to Bellator are the Russow's or Volkmann's - these guys will never be able to compete on the highest level in the UFC but might be able to grind their way to a Bellator final or championship and make some good money.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:49 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
If Rumble makes it back into the UFC it will be to fight in the newly anointed Rumbleweight. I look forward to seeing if he is able to make the Rumbleweight limit.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:00 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
If Rumble makes it back into the UFC it will be to fight in the newly anointed Rumbleweight. I look forward to seeing if he is able to make the Rumbleweight limit.
The belt for that division will need like 500 notches for the weight fluctuations, or in other words like my belt needs over Christmas vacation.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:01 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
They have at the lighter weight classes, sure. But they also jumped in before the UFC was really going for those classes. Now that the UFC has, there aren't as many guys that are taking the restrictive Bellator contracts. Their talent pool at HW, 205, and 185 has always been extremely limited.

Also, despite WSOF being new they have a working relationship with the UFC that Bellator doesn't have. If a guy wants to get back in the UFC and thinks he is close, he will now sign with WSOF. It's really that simple. If it's true that Fitch signed with WSOF, it will surprise most people but it won't surprise me at all. Bellator will get a talent spike as well but for many of these guys WSOF makes sense.

The guys who should be going over to Bellator are the Russow's or Volkmann's - these guys will never be able to compete on the highest level in the UFC but might be able to grind their way to a Bellator final or championship and make some good money.
Their 185 talent pool wasn't terrible. Mostly headlined by Schlmenko and Lombard for the most part, but they had some ok talent in there otherwise. The heavy classes are pretty bad though, definitely agree there. Even then, they're still getting guys like Alexander Sarnavskiy to boost their young talent.

I'd say that it's probably true that it will go that way now, but I'm speaking of the guys that would have been or be otherwise signed by the UFC. The WSOF has little history there. Time will tell though.

Side note, can't wait for Spong to get his butt in the UFC and Cejudo to climb the rungs.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:04 PM
m9

Quote:
Their 185 talent pool wasn't terrible. Mostly headlined by Schlmenko and Lombard for the most part, but they had some ok talent in there otherwise. The heavy classes are pretty bad though, definitely agree there. Even then, they're still getting guys like Alexander Sarnavskiy to boost their young talent.

I'd say that it's probably true that it will go that way now, but I'm speaking of the guys that would have been or be otherwise signed by the UFC. The WSOF has little history there. Time will tell though.

Side note, can't wait for Spong to get his butt in the UFC and Cejudo to climb the rungs.
Eh, 185 was pretty much the same old story all the time. Lombard >> Schlmenko >>>> Baker and everyone else. Agree on Spong and Cejudo, especially Cejudo.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:12 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Eh, 185 was pretty much the same old story all the time. Lombard >> Schlmenko >>>> Baker and everyone else. Agree on Spong and Cejudo, especially Cejudo.
That's true. Still, they had good tests for all three in guys like Vitale, Hess and Silva.

Cejudo is gonna take the 135 title and never let go. Spong should be electric. He'll probably get in the UFC after Jones is in HW though.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:22 AM
BGDDYKWL

JDS opened at -250 for the Reem fight.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Overeem's test came back clean but his testosterone levels were "dangerously low".

Quote:
When Alistair Overeem's latest blood test came back after UFC 156, there was a problem, but perhaps not what you would think.

Overeem, the 262-pound heavyweight with the Herculean physique came back with a blood testosterone level reading of 179 nanograms per deciliter, a figure that would be considered dangerously low for a competitive athlete.
Quote:
Overeem's test, taken the morning after the fight, was low enough that most doctors would recommend him to be on a testosterone replacement plan even if he was not an athlete, and would at least in theory, make it very difficult to have the energy to get through a productive training camp or fight at peak efficiency.

But there would be a question, given his previous failure, of him being granted a testosterone use exemption in Nevada.
Quote:
A reading below 300 would be considered low, and under 250 is low enough to open up risks of an assortment of health problems. Low testosterone leads to a variety of problems, among them diminished aggressiveness, decreased strength, diminished red blood cells (decreasing the oxygen carrying capacity in the blood and causing a decrease in stamina) and overall sluggishness.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/2/28...-low-levels-in

He only has himself to blame because of his past PED use but this could be one of the reasons why he looked so bad.

He messed himself up really bad with the steroids so what does he do now? He shouldn't be allowed to use TRT because of his failed test and if they do a blood test after his next fight and his levels are normal, everyone will know he cheated again. He also can't go into a fight with JDS looking like he did in his last fight.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:02 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
I can understand the UFC’s position. I am also a huge MMA fan and I like to watch exciting fights. But my nature is to be a grappler. I was exciting in Japan, only because that was the one way to get a chance to fight in the bigger organizations. I have no intentions of changing my style for the UFC. Winning and surviving is the most important thing. Even if they cut me, there are plenty of places that will appreciate my style and my grappling. The UFC is good but I am happy to just be a Mixed Martial Artist.
Quote:
That is the conclusion I came to. Whether I get cut or leave on my own will, if they want exciting I will let an “exciting” Korean fighter take my place. I will go to an organization that will appreciate my style. The sad part is the direction that the UFC is going in now. The focus has shifted from “who is the strongest” to “who will garner the most ticket sales”. That is sad for all the MMA grapplers.
DHK speaking the truth.

http://cormma.com/dong-hyun-kim-will...e-for-the-ufc/

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
02-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Stun Gun has finished one fight in the UFC and he can't beat the top level fighters. He'll never be a contender and I really doubt many people would miss him if he gets cut.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:42 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Stun Gun has finished one fight in the UFC and he can't beat the top level fighters. He'll never be a contender and I really doubt many people would miss him if he gets cut.
He's still a good test. Though his fight with Maia was bizzare.

EDIT: Got Shields mixed up with Maia.

Last edited by MurrayBannerman: 02-28-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old
02-28-2013, 05:48 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
I suppose this statement is technically correct... But the guy has one legitimate loss to Condit, who fought GSP closer than anyone has in ages, and one freak rib injury loss against Maia. Before that, you have to go back to 09 for a razor thin split decision loss that got overturned to a NC when Karo failed his drug test.

He probably loses to Maia anyways since Maia is a monster at 170 and made easy work of Fitch... But I don't think DHK would be a big underdog in fights against Kampmann (#7) or Saffiedine (#8). He's also a bad matchup stylistically for Nick Diaz (#3), who hasn't faced a grappler in ages aside from a puffed up and washed up Penn. I don't think he would impress that much against any of them but he's certainly capable of imposing his gameplan against all of those guys.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:24 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Jason Macdonald is retiring from UFC.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2013/02/...ires_from_ufc/

Old
03-01-2013, 03:51 AM
BGDDYKWL

Hendricks opened as a slight favorite against Condit at around -125. What's interesting is in Condit's UFC career the only time he didn't either open an underdog or end up at least +101 at fight time was against Ellenberger.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:06 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Hendricks opened as a slight favorite against Condit at around -125. What's interesting is in Condit's UFC career the only time he didn't either open an underdog or end up at least +101 at fight time was against Ellenberger.
So what happens if Condit wins?

He gets another shot at GSP?

Who besides nobody wants to see that?

So pissed that Rory got injured..

Old
03-01-2013, 08:39 AM
jw2

vCash: 643
Quote:
Overeem's test came back clean but his testosterone levels were "dangerously low".

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/2/28...-low-levels-in

He only has himself to blame because of his past PED use but this could be one of the reasons why he looked so bad.

He messed himself up really bad with the steroids so what does he do now? He shouldn't be allowed to use TRT because of his failed test and if they do a blood test after his next fight and his levels are normal, everyone will know he cheated again. He also can't go into a fight with JDS looking like he did in his last fight.
That's what happens when you don't cycle properly.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
That's what happens when you don't cycle properly.
The crazy part is that he'll now be eligible for legal TRT, no?

Old
03-01-2013, 01:46 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
So what happens if Condit wins?

He gets another shot at GSP?

Who besides nobody wants to see that?

So pissed that Rory got injured..
If Rory would have won it would have gotten even worse. He won't even fight the champ.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:29 PM
jw2

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
The crazy part is that he'll now be eligible for legal TRT, no?
Like he wouldnt have been there eventually? We knew it was only a matter of time.

I'd bet he was on some T-blockers, too.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
If Rory would have won it would have gotten even worse. He won't even fight the champ.
Rory needs to get a couple of wins for experience and then move up. Maybe Diaz and Condit and then GTFO.

Old
03-01-2013, 05:24 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Rory needs to get a couple of wins for experience and then move up. Maybe Diaz and Condit and then GTFO.
Ellenberger and DHK would fit that bill. Not top contenders.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:56 PM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
Ellenberger and DHK would fit that bill. Not top contenders.
I'd actually really like to see DHK get a rematch with Maia if he gets past Siyar. Their first fight ended really strangely and didn't really learn anything from it. I find the style matchup pretty interesting so I'd like to see a do-over

Old
03-02-2013, 02:23 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatTornado View Post
I'd actually really like to see DHK get a rematch with Maia if he gets past Siyar. Their first fight ended really strangely and didn't really learn anything from it. I find the style matchup pretty interesting so I'd like to see a do-over
I think Maia might be on his way to a #1 contender bout, so I'm not sure that happens.

Old
03-04-2013, 05:11 AM
BGDDYKWL

Wow Glover's -260 for the Bader fight. That's more than I would've thought.

Closed Thread