HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

MMA General News and Discussion Pt. Deux (Lesnar rumors)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2013, 06:36 PM
  #501
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I'm truly curious about Arlovski/Rumble. I wonder if winner will get back to the UFC and if Rumble wins, will he actually come back as a HW? He'll for sure be the only guy to ever fight at 170 AND 265 in the UFC right?
Yeah it could be a pretty hilarious scenario. And the crazier thing is.. he could win fights at HW in the UFC. Do people not think he can beat Gonzaga? Schaub? Wrestle down Lavar Johnson or Mark Hunt? It's hard to say how his wrestling strength will translate to HW but it will be interesting if it does.

m9 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:42 PM
  #502
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Because Bellator has shown better history for landing talented guys before the break out. Yes, WSOF has guys like Spong, Rumble, Timmeh and Arlovski, but they don't have the kind of history with young talent that Bellator has.
They have at the lighter weight classes, sure. But they also jumped in before the UFC was really going for those classes. Now that the UFC has, there aren't as many guys that are taking the restrictive Bellator contracts. Their talent pool at HW, 205, and 185 has always been extremely limited.

Also, despite WSOF being new they have a working relationship with the UFC that Bellator doesn't have. If a guy wants to get back in the UFC and thinks he is close, he will now sign with WSOF. It's really that simple. If it's true that Fitch signed with WSOF, it will surprise most people but it won't surprise me at all. Bellator will get a talent spike as well but for many of these guys WSOF makes sense.

The guys who should be going over to Bellator are the Russow's or Volkmann's - these guys will never be able to compete on the highest level in the UFC but might be able to grind their way to a Bellator final or championship and make some good money.

m9 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:49 PM
  #503
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,014
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
If Rumble makes it back into the UFC it will be to fight in the newly anointed Rumbleweight. I look forward to seeing if he is able to make the Rumbleweight limit.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 07:00 PM
  #504
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
If Rumble makes it back into the UFC it will be to fight in the newly anointed Rumbleweight. I look forward to seeing if he is able to make the Rumbleweight limit.
The belt for that division will need like 500 notches for the weight fluctuations, or in other words like my belt needs over Christmas vacation.

m9 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 07:01 PM
  #505
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,362
vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
They have at the lighter weight classes, sure. But they also jumped in before the UFC was really going for those classes. Now that the UFC has, there aren't as many guys that are taking the restrictive Bellator contracts. Their talent pool at HW, 205, and 185 has always been extremely limited.

Also, despite WSOF being new they have a working relationship with the UFC that Bellator doesn't have. If a guy wants to get back in the UFC and thinks he is close, he will now sign with WSOF. It's really that simple. If it's true that Fitch signed with WSOF, it will surprise most people but it won't surprise me at all. Bellator will get a talent spike as well but for many of these guys WSOF makes sense.

The guys who should be going over to Bellator are the Russow's or Volkmann's - these guys will never be able to compete on the highest level in the UFC but might be able to grind their way to a Bellator final or championship and make some good money.
Their 185 talent pool wasn't terrible. Mostly headlined by Schlmenko and Lombard for the most part, but they had some ok talent in there otherwise. The heavy classes are pretty bad though, definitely agree there. Even then, they're still getting guys like Alexander Sarnavskiy to boost their young talent.

I'd say that it's probably true that it will go that way now, but I'm speaking of the guys that would have been or be otherwise signed by the UFC. The WSOF has little history there. Time will tell though.

Side note, can't wait for Spong to get his butt in the UFC and Cejudo to climb the rungs.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 07:04 PM
  #506
m9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Their 185 talent pool wasn't terrible. Mostly headlined by Schlmenko and Lombard for the most part, but they had some ok talent in there otherwise. The heavy classes are pretty bad though, definitely agree there. Even then, they're still getting guys like Alexander Sarnavskiy to boost their young talent.

I'd say that it's probably true that it will go that way now, but I'm speaking of the guys that would have been or be otherwise signed by the UFC. The WSOF has little history there. Time will tell though.

Side note, can't wait for Spong to get his butt in the UFC and Cejudo to climb the rungs.
Eh, 185 was pretty much the same old story all the time. Lombard >> Schlmenko >>>> Baker and everyone else. Agree on Spong and Cejudo, especially Cejudo.

m9 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 07:12 PM
  #507
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,362
vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Eh, 185 was pretty much the same old story all the time. Lombard >> Schlmenko >>>> Baker and everyone else. Agree on Spong and Cejudo, especially Cejudo.
That's true. Still, they had good tests for all three in guys like Vitale, Hess and Silva.

Cejudo is gonna take the 135 title and never let go. Spong should be electric. He'll probably get in the UFC after Jones is in HW though.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 12:22 AM
  #508
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,703
vCash: 500
JDS opened at -250 for the Reem fight.

BGDDYKWL is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 03:44 PM
  #509
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,468
vCash: 645
Overeem's test came back clean but his testosterone levels were "dangerously low".

Quote:
When Alistair Overeem's latest blood test came back after UFC 156, there was a problem, but perhaps not what you would think.

Overeem, the 262-pound heavyweight with the Herculean physique came back with a blood testosterone level reading of 179 nanograms per deciliter, a figure that would be considered dangerously low for a competitive athlete.
Quote:
Overeem's test, taken the morning after the fight, was low enough that most doctors would recommend him to be on a testosterone replacement plan even if he was not an athlete, and would at least in theory, make it very difficult to have the energy to get through a productive training camp or fight at peak efficiency.

But there would be a question, given his previous failure, of him being granted a testosterone use exemption in Nevada.
Quote:
A reading below 300 would be considered low, and under 250 is low enough to open up risks of an assortment of health problems. Low testosterone leads to a variety of problems, among them diminished aggressiveness, decreased strength, diminished red blood cells (decreasing the oxygen carrying capacity in the blood and causing a decrease in stamina) and overall sluggishness.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/2/28...-low-levels-in

He only has himself to blame because of his past PED use but this could be one of the reasons why he looked so bad.

He messed himself up really bad with the steroids so what does he do now? He shouldn't be allowed to use TRT because of his failed test and if they do a blood test after his next fight and his levels are normal, everyone will know he cheated again. He also can't go into a fight with JDS looking like he did in his last fight.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 04:02 PM
  #510
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
I can understand the UFC’s position. I am also a huge MMA fan and I like to watch exciting fights. But my nature is to be a grappler. I was exciting in Japan, only because that was the one way to get a chance to fight in the bigger organizations. I have no intentions of changing my style for the UFC. Winning and surviving is the most important thing. Even if they cut me, there are plenty of places that will appreciate my style and my grappling. The UFC is good but I am happy to just be a Mixed Martial Artist.
Quote:
That is the conclusion I came to. Whether I get cut or leave on my own will, if they want exciting I will let an “exciting” Korean fighter take my place. I will go to an organization that will appreciate my style. The sad part is the direction that the UFC is going in now. The focus has shifted from “who is the strongest” to “who will garner the most ticket sales”. That is sad for all the MMA grapplers.
DHK speaking the truth.

http://cormma.com/dong-hyun-kim-will...e-for-the-ufc/

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 05:28 PM
  #511
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,468
vCash: 645
Stun Gun has finished one fight in the UFC and he can't beat the top level fighters. He'll never be a contender and I really doubt many people would miss him if he gets cut.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 05:42 PM
  #512
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,362
vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Stun Gun has finished one fight in the UFC and he can't beat the top level fighters. He'll never be a contender and I really doubt many people would miss him if he gets cut.
He's still a good test. Though his fight with Maia was bizzare.

EDIT: Got Shields mixed up with Maia.


Last edited by MurrayBannerman: 02-28-2013 at 08:48 PM.
MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 05:48 PM
  #513
yakitate304
Crunch Time
 
yakitate304's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NY
Country: St Lucia
Posts: 13,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Stun Gun has finished one fight in the UFC and he can't beat the top level fighters. He'll never be a contender and I really doubt many people would miss him if he gets cut.
I suppose this statement is technically correct... But the guy has one legitimate loss to Condit, who fought GSP closer than anyone has in ages, and one freak rib injury loss against Maia. Before that, you have to go back to 09 for a razor thin split decision loss that got overturned to a NC when Karo failed his drug test.

He probably loses to Maia anyways since Maia is a monster at 170 and made easy work of Fitch... But I don't think DHK would be a big underdog in fights against Kampmann (#7) or Saffiedine (#8). He's also a bad matchup stylistically for Nick Diaz (#3), who hasn't faced a grappler in ages aside from a puffed up and washed up Penn. I don't think he would impress that much against any of them but he's certainly capable of imposing his gameplan against all of those guys.

yakitate304 is offline  
Old
02-28-2013, 10:24 PM
  #514
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 40,666
vCash: 500
Jason Macdonald is retiring from UFC.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2013/02/...ires_from_ufc/

parabola is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 03:51 AM
  #515
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,703
vCash: 500
Hendricks opened as a slight favorite against Condit at around -125. What's interesting is in Condit's UFC career the only time he didn't either open an underdog or end up at least +101 at fight time was against Ellenberger.

BGDDYKWL is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 08:06 AM
  #516
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,256
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Hendricks opened as a slight favorite against Condit at around -125. What's interesting is in Condit's UFC career the only time he didn't either open an underdog or end up at least +101 at fight time was against Ellenberger.
So what happens if Condit wins?

He gets another shot at GSP?

Who besides nobody wants to see that?

So pissed that Rory got injured..

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 08:39 AM
  #517
jw2
Registered User
 
jw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,404
vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Overeem's test came back clean but his testosterone levels were "dangerously low".

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/2/28...-low-levels-in

He only has himself to blame because of his past PED use but this could be one of the reasons why he looked so bad.

He messed himself up really bad with the steroids so what does he do now? He shouldn't be allowed to use TRT because of his failed test and if they do a blood test after his next fight and his levels are normal, everyone will know he cheated again. He also can't go into a fight with JDS looking like he did in his last fight.
That's what happens when you don't cycle properly.

jw2 is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 01:18 PM
  #518
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
That's what happens when you don't cycle properly.
The crazy part is that he'll now be eligible for legal TRT, no?

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 01:46 PM
  #519
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,362
vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
So what happens if Condit wins?

He gets another shot at GSP?

Who besides nobody wants to see that?

So pissed that Rory got injured..
If Rory would have won it would have gotten even worse. He won't even fight the champ.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 03:29 PM
  #520
jw2
Registered User
 
jw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,404
vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
The crazy part is that he'll now be eligible for legal TRT, no?
Like he wouldnt have been there eventually? We knew it was only a matter of time.



I'd bet he was on some T-blockers, too.

jw2 is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 03:43 PM
  #521
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
If Rory would have won it would have gotten even worse. He won't even fight the champ.
Rory needs to get a couple of wins for experience and then move up. Maybe Diaz and Condit and then GTFO.

Kitten Mittons is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 05:24 PM
  #522
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,362
vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Rory needs to get a couple of wins for experience and then move up. Maybe Diaz and Condit and then GTFO.
Ellenberger and DHK would fit that bill. Not top contenders.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 01:56 PM
  #523
MeatTornado
I was born ready
 
MeatTornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,486
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Ellenberger and DHK would fit that bill. Not top contenders.
I'd actually really like to see DHK get a rematch with Maia if he gets past Siyar. Their first fight ended really strangely and didn't really learn anything from it. I find the style matchup pretty interesting so I'd like to see a do-over

MeatTornado is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 02:23 PM
  #524
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,362
vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatTornado View Post
I'd actually really like to see DHK get a rematch with Maia if he gets past Siyar. Their first fight ended really strangely and didn't really learn anything from it. I find the style matchup pretty interesting so I'd like to see a do-over
I think Maia might be on his way to a #1 contender bout, so I'm not sure that happens.

MurrayBannerman is offline  
Old
03-04-2013, 05:11 AM
  #525
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,703
vCash: 500
Wow Glover's -260 for the Bader fight. That's more than I would've thought.

BGDDYKWL is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.