HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

MMA General News and Discussion Pt. Deux (Lesnar rumors)

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 07:49 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Muahaa The Sharks...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani
RT @MikeChiappetta: Details emerge in Jeremy Stephens' felony assault case http://sbn.to/TmhorS

How Dana was defending this guy just makes him a complete moron. How can you defend and try to get this guy out of jail?
Seriously. If he really did ruin a guy like that, I don't want to hear about him being "maliciously" arrested on before his fight. If he wanted to avoid this, he could have turned himself in and bailed himself out.

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
Old
10-12-2012, 08:25 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocal View Post
Seriously. If he really did ruin a guy like that, I don't want to hear about him being "maliciously" arrested on before his fight. If he wanted to avoid this, he could have turned himself in and bailed himself out.
I have no problem with White doing his best to try to get Stephens out. It is what many family members, friends, or even bosses would do. Stephens was in a different state with probably no family around. White knows he's dealing with fighters, and they aren't choir boys outside of the cage. If I was out of town for work and I got into some sort of situation, I think my boss would do the same thing for me, regardless of what I did. I give credit to White for doing this.

However..

My problem is with how White handled it so publicly. He should've quietly done everything to get it taken care of, and they could have easily cancelled the fight as soon as they heard about it. Instead he created a major fiasco by putting it all over Twitter and was trying to get the fight to happen anyway. Just an insane approach to the situation. This was an undercard fighter who could have easily been pulled off the card with little or no mention, but instead we had one of the most poorly handled situations ever unfold before our eyes throughout the day.

Old
10-12-2012, 08:46 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Muahaa The Sharks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I have no problem with White doing his best to try to get Stephens out. It is what many family members, friends, or even bosses would do. Stephens was in a different state with probably no family around. White knows he's dealing with fighters, and they aren't choir boys outside of the cage. If I was out of town for work and I got into some sort of situation, I think my boss would do the same thing for me, regardless of what I did. I give credit to White for doing this.

However..

My problem is with how White handled it so publicly. He should've quietly done everything to get it taken care of, and they could have easily cancelled the fight as soon as they heard about it. Instead he created a major fiasco by putting it all over Twitter and was trying to get the fight to happen anyway. Just an insane approach to the situation. This was an undercard fighter who could have easily been pulled off the card with little or no mention, but instead we had one of the most poorly handled situations ever unfold before our eyes throughout the day.
Like you, m9, I feel the uproar from the UFC/Fans is silly. If the police are speaking the truth, Stephens had prior notice of this and didn't take care of it. If that's the case, this is all on Stephens, innocent or not.

I do have a big problem with trained fighters smashing the hell out of someone that isn't trained and/or is an unwilling combatant. It has nothing to do with being a choir boy. Most people would squash the fight once one party retreated/gave up. If the story is true, this is beyond just a bar fight.

Old
10-12-2012, 09:44 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:

However..

Dana sounded like a complete idiot when he said this was a "conspiracy" against Stephens. . They waited until he was close enough to Iowa to go get him, and since Minnesota and Iowa border each other they made their move. Real big conspiracy.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
10-12-2012, 10:26 PM
m9

Quote:
Dana sounded like a complete idiot when he said this was a "conspiracy" against Stephens. . They waited until he was close enough to Iowa to go get him, and since Minnesota and Iowa border each other they made their move. Real big conspiracy.
Right, which is why he should of kept his mouth shut and handled business as a boss and as a friend by by bailing the dude out. This is the part I don't feel he should be taking heat for. But making a spectacle out of it like he did? Absurd.

Old
10-12-2012, 11:41 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Right, which is why he should of kept his mouth shut and handled business as a boss and as a friend by by bailing the dude out. This is the part I don't feel he should be taking heat for. But making a spectacle out of it like he did? Absurd.
100% agreed.

Old
10-15-2012, 04:01 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Bloody Elbow ‏@BloodyElbow
Dana White says Shogun vs. Gustafsson winner in position for a title shot http://sbn.to/V2FdXg

Old
10-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Dana White says Shogun vs. Gustafsson winner in position for a title shot http://sbn.to/V2FdXg
We already saw Shogun take a bad beating from Jones so I hope Gustafsson wins and gets the title shot.

Old
10-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
We already saw Shogun take a bad beating from Jones so I hope Gustafsson wins and gets the title shot.
If Gustafsson can't make it through Shogun than there would be no point in having him fight Jones anyway.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:07 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Great article on the issue of Sport vs Spectacle:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...m_campaign=mma

Old
10-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
And then he makes them get back in line if the winner won't face JJ on short notice.

Old
10-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1004
Jason 'Mayhem' Miller opens up about bizarre MMA Hour appearance, recent arrest, and future plans.

Old
10-23-2012, 08:36 PM
DeathFromAbove

Mayhem is a bum. I get the Andy Kaufman thing, but he was terrible at it.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:39 PM
End of Line
Human After All

In other news, @danawhite tells SI today that a women's division is "absolutely going to happen" in the UFC:

Old
10-23-2012, 09:42 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Watched the Mayhem vid earlier. Still doesn't strike me as normal. I feel like even in that video he was up and down and contradicted himself a lot. But I'm just glad he's not bat **** insane like the whole "Lucky Patrick" thing cause that was painful to see.

Old
10-23-2012, 09:48 PM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
In other news, @danawhite tells SI today that a women's division is "absolutely going to happen" in the UFC:
What's is Zuffa's strategy after adding the featherweight, bantamweight and flyweight divisions to very little fanfare? Add another division!

Old
10-23-2012, 09:51 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
What's is Zuffa's strategy after adding the featherweight, bantamweight and flyweight divisions to very little fanfare? Add another division!
Not only that but it's going to be an incredibly shallow division. And it'll probably stagnate if Rousey fights Cyborg and beats her. Not really many big names in womens MMA.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
So he went from not watching women's MMA, not knowing any women fighters, and saying women will never fight in the UFC to saying a women's division is absolutely going to happen. What the hell has Ronda done to him?

Old
10-23-2012, 11:44 PM
m9

Quote:
So he went from not watching women's MMA, not knowing any women fighters, and saying women will never fight in the UFC to saying a women's division is absolutely going to happen. What the hell has Ronda done to him?
Yeah it's been clear for awhile he has some sort of infatuation with her.

Lame news. No interest in women's fights

Old
10-24-2012, 02:10 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:

Agreed.

Old
10-24-2012, 03:13 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Quote:

This.

Old
10-24-2012, 10:14 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
He's obsessed with her. She is the only reason why it's even being considered by him.

Quote:

Yup. No real interest from me, and in general.

Old
10-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Jasper

vCash: 707
Won't happen but it'd be nice to see them keep women, at least non-title fights, as well as men's flyweight and bantamweight on free nights and undercards. Even for belt fights I never want to see one of those as a main event. I'll never pay for it, anyway.

Old
10-24-2012, 02:51 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Dana White: Brock Lesnar Is 'Never Coming Back' to UFC

Quote:
"He's done," White said regarding Lesnar, who is currently working on a very limited schedule as a pro wrestler with World Wrestling Entertainment. "He called me a couple of days ago. He's never coming back. His body can't take it. He said he can wrestle, but he can't fight. He was contemplating coming back."
http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/10/2...th-are-retired

Old
10-24-2012, 03:04 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Dana White: Brock Lesnar Is 'Never Coming Back' to UFC

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/10/2...th-are-retired
Can we hope for a Fedor/Randy dream match then?

Closed Thread