HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

walking around the world

Old
08-31-2012, 01:44 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

vCash: 500
But how will you follow the Canucks? How will you celebrate when we win the cup?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Evo

OT, but if you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to save up that much money by age 19? That's incredible

Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:47 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
For what it's worth, the odd person can make something like this work. But you must be extremley resourceful or have rich parents. I have a friend from High School that has been travelling since we graduated (about 10 years), never been back in Canada and never seen him in the same place twice. One email he's in France, the next he's lost his passport in Botswana, and then a couple weeks later he's at a Yankees game. How he does it? I have no idea. Some people are just the right mix of fearless, wealthy or at least access to wealth and con-artist and can make it work. Haven't met many of these though so good luck!
The description of your friend reminds me of Jack...

I in the Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:50 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

How about find a stray kitten on the road then take it with you:

Really though all I would say if you're gonna spend 10 years walking around the world I don't think anyone would think less of you if you swallowed your pride and cheated a little bit here or there to skip the few legitimately dangerous areas.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:16 PM
Red Haired Shanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo View Post
OT, but if you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to save up that much money by age 19? That's incredible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
How about find a stray kitten on the road then take it with you:

Really though all I would say if you're gonna spend 10 years walking around the world I don't think anyone would think less of you if you swallowed your pride and cheated a little bit here or there to skip the few legitimately dangerous areas.

i started working at 13 part time and full time during the summers. i wasnt planing on doing this back then i just wanted to get a head start financially, but it worked out for me.

i may skip a few dangerous areas along the way taking flights or boats to avoid them or if i can i will detour and walk around them

Red Haired Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:19 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Just wondering, how many and which languages you can speak?

If you're looking to do the whole world thing, you'll need more than having some cash to get by.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:28 PM
Pascha

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:36 PM
wienerdog

Go for it; and as Karl Hungus advised, raise as much support as you can via sponsorship, goodwill, etc. Even attach yourself to a cause if you see fit.

My best advice is to be flexible, and don't rigidly pursue the goal of completing the walk to the exclusion of all else. Perhaps you will come to a place that you don't want to leave, and that's fine.

After all, the journey IS the destination.

wienerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Rick Sanchez
Wub a lub a dub dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanuck10 View Post
After Argentina I wouldn't go along the coast too far, steer clear of Colombia. I would fly from Lima Peru to Panama City.
I spent 6 months this year backpacking all through out South America. From Argentina all the way up to Panama. I could not disagree with you more about Columbia. One of the greatest countries ive ever backpacked through (Ive done Europe and SE Asia.) As long as you have your wits about you and are generally not an idiot you can do all of south america and not run into trouble, albeit you will probably be mugged but that's just part of the experience.

Rick Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:39 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanuck10 View Post
After Argentina I wouldn't go along the coast too far, steer clear of Colombia. I would fly from Lima Peru to Panama City.
Wtf? The north coast of Peru is fantastic, Ecuador is cool, and Colombia is one of my favourite countries in the world.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Red Haired Shanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Just wondering, how many and which languages you can speak?

If you're looking to do the whole world thing, you'll need more than having some cash to get by.
i can speak, english, italian, french and some mandarin, i can also understand spanish but i cant speak it very well.

Old
08-31-2012, 02:49 PM
wienerdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Haired Shanks View Post
i can speak, english, italian, french and some mandarin, i can also understand spanish but i cant speak it very well.
You'll have plenty of time to learn Spanish - and it should come easily if you speak Italian and French.

Spanish is a must for South and Middle America.

wienerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 03:04 PM
guest1467

I only have expertise with Latin America (been to Thailand, Taiwan and Laos too, but whatever), my recommendations are:

Considering you are arriving in Argentina, I would work West right away. Going down South is novel, and it would be great, but it adds so much time to your walk. Cordoba is a cool university town, kind of like Buenos Aires lite. Mendoza is a must see, great party scene, amazing wine, and super laid back town. I would transverse the Andes to Santiago, going over the Cancha Pelada was one of the most amazing rides I have ever taken. I can't imagine how amazing it would be on foot, it would be very difficult though.

Santiago is super cool, and Valparaiso is a gem in SA.

I would move back into Northern Argentina (through Salto) and into Bolivia instead of going up Northern Chile, most of it is desert and badlands. Pitosi/Salt Flats, Sucre, La Paz are all must sees if you go to Bolivia. Travelling by foot in Bolivia sounds like absolute murder though. The bus is killer enough.

Cuzco and Lima obviously.

Quito is a must see in Ecuador, strange strange city. I have never been myself, but I have heard raving reviews of Montecito.

Colombia is epic. You're gonna wanna hit up Popoyan, Cali and the wine district (I would suggest Perriera, you're Spanish should be good enough by then). Bogota is kind of a must, Medellin is crazy town, Cartagena is hate/love with people, I hated it, but I can see why people like it. You can catch a week boat cruise to Panama in Cartagena, which is insanely amazing, you spend some time island hopping. I would suggest Santa Marta, San Gil, and Bucaramanga, but these seem out of the way.

I don't have much experience in Central America.

Mexico is a great country to do by foot. Chiapas is probably where you will start (San Cristobal de las Casas is a must). I would work my way over to Oaxaca, the coast is amazing, and the capital city of that state is a must see. You have to go to to Mexico DF, I would go to Guadalajara too. You are going to want to stick pretty close to the West up north though for obvious reasons.

It kind of seems like a shame you would skip Brazil though. If I was in your shoes, I would rather go up North to Brazil, through the South and across to Bolivia, through Bolivia, and into Peru rather than Argentina and Chile. There are benefits to both ways, but Brazil is probably my number 1 country de facto.

If you want specifics about Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia or Mexico, just ask or PM me and I will go into greater detail.

Old
08-31-2012, 03:51 PM
KISSland

150000 in 6 years? Crazy.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 03:58 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Not sure how old OP is or in which industry he works, but if you work in places like oil rigs, aluminium plants, mines, etc. or you're well-established in construction (esp. things like plumbing, carpentry, roofing...) and have some fiscal discipline you can save some serious dough quickly.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Red Haired Shanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
i worked at a pipe lining place up in northern BC for 3 summers. its $31 per hour and you work 16 hours per day so i got a lot of money just saving up my money

Old
08-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Andre Boudrias

Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
Delete. LOL

Last edited by Andre Boudrias: 08-31-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Andre Boudrias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
no i thought of this before i started one piece. and this is a completely different thing in my mind from an anime. thanks to everybody for giving me advice i got roughly $150 000 in my bank right now and i think that will be enough for quite a while. i dont have to go at any pace i got my whole life to do this. what im going to do is walk across canada first and if i cant do it ill go back home if i can ill keep going. all your information really helps and i appreciate all your help, this is really helping my planning.

and im not planning to rent a motel every night as one of you suggested, i got a tent and sleepingbag that is pretty light weight so ill be camping out most nights
Well good luck to you then. Just make sure you're flexible with what you're doing because 10 years is a long, long time. It will be both physically and mentally taxing.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:08 PM
sully1410

Istanbul(not Constantinople) is a blast. I would also give Ephesus a hard look. Pretty neat there as well. Greece is super cool, Kenya is amazing as is morocco. Spain was pretty neat as well. Lots of cathedrals(who'd a thunk it), my favorite was Seville.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:36 PM
guest1467

Would love to go to Istanbul.

Old
08-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Quote:
hi after im finished with my schooling in 3 or so years im planning to walk around the world. im thinking it will take me less then 10 years if i make it back at all. its been done before so im not worried that its impossible, also i am bringing my canucks jersey and im going to take picture with it everywhere i go.. im planning to walk across canada, fly to ireland, walk down to spain, then to italy to visit family, take a boat to greece, walk across turkey, Kazakhstan, walk down through china to japan, then to thailand, take a boat to australia. walk across australia, then to argentina, then follow the coast back up to vancouver. any places along the way i should check out? i got my whole life to do this so suggest away. im not going through the middle east, africa or russia because its too dangerous. so where should i go? any cities or places i should check out on my route?
First, kudos to you for this epic journey, perhaps in another lifetime I would do the same thing!

If you're interested in history I would try doing some of the Silk road on your trip. Except for the Iran part. Visit some of the major cities in China like Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong as well.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:20 PM
embee

Quote:
im not a hipster. i dont care for eating organic or that stuff. i would just hate for my life to be like everyone elses and not ever do something extraordinary. im planning it in 3 years because i want to get my bachelors in plumbing first then when i get back i can go try and find a job and have a career. most people go through life never truly doing something remarkable, the way i see it im going to live to about 65. so i got a long time to settle down and be boring, but for now im going to plan on doing this. in 3 years i might back out but iv been thinking about doing this for about 2 months now and my attitude hasnt changed so im not worried about that. anyways i appreciate the feedback thanks.
You don't get a "bachelors" in plumbing, unless you mean mechanical or plumbing engineering. You become an apprentice plumber and make not much money until you are a journeyman plumber, 4 years later. It will be awfully hard to save money this way.

I see that you have planned your journey well, but I think you should look further into your post-journey career plan.

Good luck. Bring some extra shoes.

embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Is that the Camino de Santiago?

That I want to do for sure.
Yes it was the Camino de Santiago de Compostela. First I walked across Spain, from Roncesvalles near the French border in the Pyrenees westward to Finisterre, 3 days beyond Santiago, where a peninsula ends and the next land is the New World, which Spaniards inclusively call America (from Tierra del Fuego to Baffin Island).

Two years later I began at Le Puy-en-Velay, a pilgrimage town of weird volcanic spires SW of Lyon, and walked the Chemin de St-Jacques de Compostelle across beautiful hilly countryside another 800 km westward, over the Pyrenees and just past Roncesvalles to Burguete. Then I took a cab to Pamplona, a bus to Jaca, and walked the Via Aragonese with friends from Bilbao, a magical few days beside the snow-capped Pyrenees in great company although suffering from lameness, exhaustion, and the abrupt switch from French to Spanish. The bloody hills of France had worn me down. However, the glowing landscape and the vast gulf of air between me and the mountains felt hallucinogenic as I walked on stones laid by the Romans, and sang old sad songs of the road with my five female companions.

That was 8 years ago. In my lifetime of adventures in difficult places, it's funny how those times that I took the road *most* travelled, in remote but familiar European surroundings, remain the most vivid of all. On the Camino, the journey truly is the destination. And what you can't know before you set out is the wonderful social aspect, with people from all over the world stoned, like you, on red wine and oxygen. Life seemed heightened; often I felt like I was living in a Shakespeare play. Two friends of the road appear below my balcony, arms around shoulders, one from Vigo in Galicia and the other from the Fraser Valley, demanding that I join them for the running of the bulls that we stumbled upon in the tiny town of Los Arcos. Down in the narrow, ancient street with them, feeling naked, I ask an old woman about the bulls: "Vacas!" she replies, contemptuously: "Cows!" They were bulls though. One day of life on the road. Two revellers went to hospital and I think one of them died.

Follow your dreams, follow your bliss. If a plan to walk around the world changes en route dozens of times, so what? It's good to set goals, and it's also good to adapt to changing circumstances. As William Blake said, "Improvement makes straight roads. But the crooked roads are paths of genius."

701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 01:43 AM
just22
meat and taters

Good on ya man... hope you do it and keep us posted

just22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 06:47 AM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRI View Post
Don't write-off Egypt. One very cool way to see it is to get a group of people(6 to 8) and hire a Feluka and crew to sail down the Nile.

If you get to India take the trains - in third class try to get the top bunk if doing a sleeper overnight or you end up with people sitting in your bunk when you wake up. Also if you're out that way get up to Nepal and trek the Himalayas - basically walking from village to village.
That's crazy I did all three of those things as well and would recommend all of them.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote