Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Kids on Defence..let 'em play?

Old
05-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Ratty

vCash: 500
Kids on Defence..let 'em play?

Without doubt the three rookie defencemen have rejuvinated the Bruins in the playoffs with their offensive skills and, so far, few mistakes on the backend.

Krug has really burst upon the scene with two goals and an assist to confound the Rangers who were not expecting that level of creativity from the Bruins D-Corps.

Dougie did not cover well on a Ranger goal today but has been consistently steady when called upon in the playoffs.

Bart has been a surprise since his callup for his two way play, excellent puck movement, and his key goal versus the Leafs.

How far do we ride these kids? This is the Playoffs, afterall. Who sits when Seids and Ference get healthy? Does one of the kids deserve a spot over Redden?

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Without doubt the three rookie defencemen have rejuvinated the Bruins in the playoffs with their offensive skills and, so far, few mistakes on the backend.

Krug has really burst upon the scene with two goals and an assist to confound the Rangers who were not expecting that level of creativity from the Bruins D-Corps.

Dougie did not cover well on a Ranger goal today but has been consistently steady when called upon in the playoffs.

Bart has been a surprise since his callup for his two way play, excellent puck movement, and his key goal versus the Leafs.

How far do we ride these kids? This is the Playoffs, afterall. Who sits when Seids and Ference get healthy? Does one of the kids deserve a spot over Redden?
I'd say they all play again Tuesday in NY.

It will be a good test for them on the road in front of a hostile crowd against a team with its back to the wall. No need right now to push anyone into playing.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:16 PM
vjcsmoke

Love our young defensemen! It's great that they are giving our offense a booster shot as well. Krug especially has been a revelation. I don't think you can afford to bench them when they are playing so well. Chia has some tough lineup calls to make! But that's a GOOD problem for us to have!

vjcsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Bruwinz37

Being up 2-0 gives us a little cushion to make sure everyone has enough time to fully recover. I want Ference and Seids back as soon as they can be, but no need to rush.

Hard to take Krug out. Kid is a dynamic skater and is really seizing the opportunity...not playing scared at all. Love it.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:27 PM
eskimo7737

When Seidenberg is ready, he needs to play, I would say that sit down Dougie and keep playing Krug and Bartowski.. these kids have rejuvanted the offense no doubt, but as the playoffs grind on, you will have to rely on the the veterans at key times too..

eskimo7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:32 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

The mobility they bring really tilts the matchup in the Bruins favor over the Rangers, that's for sure. I see no need to alter the lineup this series, at least not yet. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That will allow for plenty of time for the injured defensemen to recover and be ready to go if the B's make the next round where we'll surely need them.

The one adjustment I'd make is adding Seids if he's healthy over Hamilton or even McQuaid.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Salem13

I'm saying run them one more game, give whoever may come back more rest because it's the plays.

Last part of that got you?

Well it's because in the playoffs players play hurt, able to play is somewhere near 85% at best.

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:42 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo7737 View Post
When Seidenberg is ready, he needs to play, I would say that sit down Dougie and keep playing Krug and Bartowski.. these kids have rejuvanted the offense no doubt, but as the playoffs grind on, you will have to rely on the the veterans at key times too..
I agree with that completely.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:43 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
QFT. Let's not get carried away, and let's be judicious. Hope the trend continues.

PS Really appreciated Krug's acceleration into the Rangers defensive zone & what I can only describe as a sideway drop pass (sic).

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Marchy63

I say you have to keep them in as long as they are playing well and the team is winning. Give the older guys a bit of a break to heal and get themselves ready to play. If Seidenberg is ready to go I think he goes in for Dougie as he is the least experienced.

Marchy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:49 PM
bostonphoenix

I think Krug and Hamilton were always cornerstone defensemen I'm overthrilled with how Bartowski has done.

bostonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:52 PM
JOKER 192

I think this is a package deal.They all need each other to be sucsessful, if only one was to remain how hard is it to cover one defensive pairing ,when it gets tricky is when you have two or three pairings to deal with.It takes the bite out of the opposing offense aswell, they have to be aware of the threat and have to hold at least a little something back.

And quite frankly I don't see what any of the injured players have done in these playoffs to make it back in over any one of these three. I stand pat for now until there is a reason to make a change.

I'd like to get a real good look at these guys.With the cap going down next year it would be great to see if this is an option.I know that sounds like a stretch but who would have said they would have made such an impact in the first two games?

Last edited by JOKER 192: 05-19-2013 at 09:02 PM.
JOKER 192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 08:59 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
There isn't a lot of big league video on Bart and Krug...scouts will be able to start picking out some warts .... both have a bright future though... id use krug over redden but get ference and seids in as soon as healthy enough...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:11 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Honestly, I really wouldn't dress Ference again unless everyone else really screwed up.

Redden might be an interesting choice against the Rangers just to mess with their heads a bit, but from a skill level, don't think I'd play him too much, either.

Seids would be the only shut down guy i'd put in--when he's 101% only, though. And, it'd be between Hamilton and Bart for who'd sit. If I had to choose, it'd be Dougie as of today.

But, yes, this is karma you don't want to mess with until it messes with you.

No matter what, Soderberg would've scored there
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post
Honestly, I really wouldn't dress Ference again unless everyone else really screwed up.

Redden might be an interesting choice against the Rangers just to mess with their heads a bit, but from a skill level, don't think I'd play him too much, either.

Seids would be the only shut down guy i'd put in--when he's 101% only, though. And, it'd be between Hamilton and Bart for who'd sit. If I had to choose, it'd be Dougie as of today.

I kinda see Redden as the blackjack table where you won a quick $50 and you should pick up your chips and cash out while you are ahead.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post

Agreed. Ference has been a good team guy, but he's toast.

It's also great to see the young pups playing so well...looking at the cupboard, it seemed like the defense prospects were lacking. Maybe Bart and Krug can give Boston a boost in the future...both are reclamation projects a la Boychuk and McQuaid, so there is something that has to be said for Chia's eye when it comes to bringing in young dmen via trade or FA.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:22 PM
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I kinda see Redden as the blackjack table where you won a quick $50 and you should pick up your chips and cash out while you are ahead.
LOL Spot on.

TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:25 PM
JOKER 192

Maybe it's just chance but Providence has lost three in a row since their D has been playing with the big club.

JOKER 192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:29 PM
Bizarro Bandwagoner

Seidenberg should go in whenever he's healthy, probably for Hamilton. Krug has definitely earned a spot over Redden.

Bizarro Bandwagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Salem13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER 192 View Post
Maybe it's just chance but Providence has lost three in a row since their D has been playing with the big club.
That does suck

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 10:20 PM
rocketdan9

As of right now the Vets can take their sweet time getting rest. The moment we lose a game , and i predit it will be by giving up 3 or more goals, than one or two will be back in the lineup.

Redden, forget it. Honestly outside of that one nice goal vs Toronto, he really doesn't bring alot vs any of these kids. A nice insurance d for the rest of the playoffs

Krug as of right now is on fire and should stay in the lineup , even if Ference and Seidenberg will be back for game 3. Bartowski next than Hamilton. Hamilton is still young and i think made a few stinkers tonight , though that one assist to lucic for the goal was a beauty. Bartowski out of all the rookies played the most at 20 min. The kid is a workhorse out there, and physical on the defensive end. Cj likes this brand of hockey.

rocketdan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 10:20 PM
westernhome

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:09 PM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Krug should stay until he has a so-so game. Seidenberg comes in for sure.

CombatOnContact is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Well put.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 11:52 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Quote:
I agree totally but I would play Dougie over Bartkowski.

BostonBob is online now   Reply With Quote