Notices

Crop of wingers the main strength in the Anaheim Ducks Top 20

Old
08-30-2012, 10:45 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Crop of wingers the main strength in the Anaheim Ducks Top 20

The Anaheim Ducks once again bolstered their organizational depth and addressed team needs with eight selections at the 2012 NHL Draft. Five of the picks from that draft will be featured in this ranking, with Hampus Lindholm leading the newest recruits to the Ducks' organization.

1. (1) Kyle Palmieri, RW, 8.0B
Drafted 1st round, 26th overall, 2009

Palmieri is the best of many future top-six wingers in the Ducks organization. He is a high-end puckhandler with great speed and an even better release. Those skills allow him to show off his creative playmaking ability even when skating into traffic or under pressure in the attacking zone.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Paul4587

Lindholm is much lower than I expected. From what Ducks scouts and Boudreau had to say about him I would think he would rank no lower than 3.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 11:29 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

vCash: 577
I think Corey Perry was our last winger to get an 8.0B rating (Fowler has the highest ranking at 8.5B)

Yep. Corey Perry 8.0 B just like Getzlaf back in 06...funny that Ryan had an 8.5C over them.

Good to see that we had 7's past the top 10. Depth baby. Depth. Andersen was underrated and I feel that by his sophomore year Kerdiles' rating will go up.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:38 AM
Corey Perry*

Seems like Rakell could end up being a late 1st round steal. I remember a bunch of Ducks fans disliking that pick. I feel Lindholm will be rated higher after more people get to watch him, he's still relatively unknown.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Bunky View Post
Seems like Rakell could end up being a late 1st round steal. I remember a bunch of Ducks fans disliking that pick. I feel Lindholm will be rated higher after more people get to watch him, he's still relatively unknown.
I think most of us didn't necessarily dislike the pick, but were more like WHO DA F IS THAT!? That goes for both Lindholm and Rakell.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:26 AM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
I think most of us didn't necessarily dislike the pick, but were more like WHO DA F IS THAT!? That goes for both Lindholm and Rakell.
is that scale out of 10? how do the a b c d's effect things. seems odd and kinda low.

edit - and i totally made a wtf and the lindholm pick...no clue who he was.

gratefulyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:40 AM
DuckJet
Road Rash

Bad reactions to our last two picks

2011-I was mad that we traded down with Phillips and Puempel on the board but in hindsight that was smart.

then I was mad at the Rakell pick. I had him penciled in as our second round pick if we were lucky. I wanted Saad, Jenner, Khochlachev, Jaskin, Prince, or even Grimaldi. Took a very long time to calm down after that one Happy with the pick now

Lindholm...I mean can you really blame me? I prepped myself for this draft since December and I was looking forward to making a splash to make up for the joke that was last year's season. I was on my way to our family vacation when the pick was made so I didn't get any time on HF, but the rage would've been legendary. It was worse at the time because we got hit with the Bobby Ryan mess and Visnovsky trade within minutes before our pick. So, when I saw that Reinhart and Rielly went 4 and 5 I had my fingers crossed on a variety of options. Forsberg, Grigorenko, Dumba, Trouba, even Faksa. Not having watched him enough I had Lindholm around 16-20 so seeing him get picked was just the third strike/letdown for me. I had heard some people suggest that with Schultz' departure we needed a replacement and I brushed those notions aside. I still maintain that 3 offensive minded defensemen is too many but hopefully Hampus' d-game is passable, I mean...the thought of Fowler, Gardiner, Schultz, and Vatanen on the same blueline always made me squeamish. I'm still a bit upset that we passed on Trouba (at least he went to the Jets, their blueline is very solid if he and Bogosian pan out), Forsberg, and Grigorenko but I'm not as upset as I was on draft day. That's for sure.

Old
08-31-2012, 02:27 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Matt Clark should be a few spots higher. Bobkov and Illo stand out as two guys who definitely shouldn't be ranked ahead of Clark. Neither have proven anything at the pro level, while Clark could knock on the door this year as a shut down d-man.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 03:44 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

It's a good ranking I don't disagree with much but.....

Andersen should be rated much higher given his performance in Sweden and probably ahead of Bobkov.

Overall i'm pretty excited about our current crop of prospects, alot of them had good years last year. Karlsson, Wagner and Welinski will be 3 guys I follow closely. Especially Wagner, he seems like such an unknown yet all you hear are great things about him

I am not a fan of Trouba or Dumba(shouldn't say not a fan, more like not a fan taking them so high), I feel Trouba does not have high potential, and Dumba has a high probability to not reach his potential. I was dumbfounded we passed on Forsberg, but ending up with Lindholm and Kerdiles is pretty nice to end up with, bottom line is I will trust the current amateur scouting department until they give me reason not to they have done a real good job since 2009

Last edited by KEEROLE Vatanen: 08-31-2012 at 03:51 AM.
KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:08 PM
Carelton CA

I am excited about the move from Syracuse to Norfolk and I think it's going to be a tremendous place for our younger prospects to get schooled by tremendous coaches. If there is a lockout for a month or two it will surely benefit the young prospects who get that time under the belt in the AHL.

A lot of these guys, especially the Europeans and the college guys, we really only get a chance to read about and only see them at camp in the simmer. This year we'll get to see most of the young guys at the pro level.

Does Gibson have a chance to go to the AHL or is he destined to go back to the CHL?

Carelton CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:22 PM
DuckJet
Road Rash

Probably going to break down like this

NHL
Hiller
Fasth

AHL
Bobkov
JDD

and Gibson will return for another year of juniors. Andersen back to Sweden I guess?

Old
08-31-2012, 01:41 PM
JHaggis

Nice to see Sami Vatanen so hight on this list. Hopefull we see him soon in Ducks roster.

JHaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:30 PM
DarthYenik

We've got more wings than Detroit.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
NHL
Hiller
Fasth

AHL
Andersen
Deslauriers

ECHL
Bobkov
Cousineau

Is my guess. It has been completely silent about Andersen here, I don't think he's expected to join Frolunda again.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:43 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
We've got more wings than Detroit.
But are they Communist?

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
NHL
Hiller
Fasth

AHL
Andersen
Deslauriers

ECHL
Bobkov
Cousineau

Is my guess. It has been completely silent about Andersen here, I don't think he's expected to join Frolunda again.
I'll second this. I think sending Bobkov to the ECHL to start for a year is a good idea. Bring him up if Andersen goes down. Of course, that's if Andersen is playing in NA.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 07:51 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Lindholm...I mean can you really blame me? I prepped myself for this draft since December and I was looking forward to making a splash to make up for the joke that was last year's season. I was on my way to our family vacation when the pick was made so I didn't get any time on HF, but the rage would've been legendary. It was worse at the time because we got hit with the Bobby Ryan mess and Visnovsky trade within minutes before our pick. So, when I saw that Reinhart and Rielly went 4 and 5 I had my fingers crossed on a variety of options. Forsberg, Grigorenko, Dumba, Trouba, even Faksa. Not having watched him enough I had Lindholm around 16-20 so seeing him get picked was just the third strike/letdown for me. I had heard some people suggest that with Schultz' departure we needed a replacement and I brushed those notions aside. I still maintain that 3 offensive minded defensemen is too many but hopefully Hampus' d-game is passable, I mean...the thought of Fowler, Gardiner, Schultz, and Vatanen on the same blueline always made me squeamish. I'm still a bit upset that we passed on Trouba (at least he went to the Jets, their blueline is very solid if he and Bogosian pan out), Forsberg, and Grigorenko but I'm not as upset as I was on draft day. That's for sure.
I don't know how you got to thinking that Lindholm was an offensive defenseman. Everything I've heard about him points to him being more of a two way/defensive defenseman. A lot of people said that he's like Nicklas Kronwall without the physicality. His game is a bit different from Fowler and Vatanen.

Old
09-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
I don't think he's expected to join Frolunda again.
According to the lockout destination thread on the trade board, Lundqvist is heading there if there's a lockout. If there's even a chance of a short lockout, then you've got to think Andersen is going to play in the AHL.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 03:15 AM
Italian President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
I don't know how you got to thinking that Lindholm was an offensive defenseman. Everything I've heard about him points to him being more of a two way/defensive defenseman. A lot of people said that he's like Nicklas Kronwall without the physicality. His game is a bit different from Fowler and Vatanen.
A Kronwal who can't hit? Oh no.

Italian President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
I've heard differently. Overall, he was considered a pretty raw talent in a lot of areas(offensively and defensively), but his puck moving capabiliy was more apparent early on. His defensive game was seen as the area he needed the most work on. When discussing him as a two-way defenseman, the talk was more on what type of defenseman he could become, and his style of play. Lindholm wasn't the most polished prospect, and he was a late riser, and with prospects like that you're always looking ahead.

OEL and Pietrangelo were two playing styles that were named, though there is a bigger question as to whether he has their upside. It's that cerebral type of game that the Ducks are hoping to see from him. There is no real weakness in his skill-set, he's a tremendous skater, but it's his hockey smarts that could set him apart from others in his draft class.

It's important to remember, though, that because he was such a late riser, the scouting reports on him are a little out-dated. McGuire said that two NHL teams had him in their top 5, but most of the rankings had him around 10-15ish. That suggests, to me, that he wasn't scouted as heavily as some, but that the few who saw more of him really liked what they saw.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:54 AM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian President View Post
A Kronwal who can't hit? Oh no.
?...