HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Superfeet footbeds, anyone use them?

Old
02-28-2010, 02:56 PM
cmdrdredd

vCash: 500
Superfeet footbeds, anyone use them?

I am wondering if anyone here has experience with the skate footbeds from superfeet. They're supposed to give better support in the heel and arch area. I don't know for sure, but it seems like they just give me foot cramps, I mean bad. Maybe they aren't for me, but I figured worth a try. Anyone have opinions on them?

cmdrdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Anubis79

I have them and love them. I noticed a difference in my skating the first time I went out with them. They certainly do provide a more solid base than the stock insoles of my Vapor XXVs.

Anubis79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Frankie Spankie

I have them and I love them. You'll notice a difference immediately. After my first game, I noticed my whole body was sore but my feet were surprisingly painless. They're a bit expensive but I think they're worth it.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 03:51 PM
cmdrdredd

Ok so here's a question, the pain I'm experiencing is on the outside curve of my feet behind the small toe. Not quite midway back on the foot. That's the only spot. My skates just got baked yesterday, they're brand new CCM U+ Pro Reloaded skates. Today was my first skate on them and I laced them up tightly. However, I did get pain after a time where I had none when I had them baked. So do you think I just tightened them too far? Another question, I am going to get them rebaked again but do you think I should stick the Superfeet in the skates after I get them baked and let them cool around my foot sitting on that footbed? I didn't bring my superfeet with me when I was at the shop yesterday so I molded them with the standard footbed which is just a very thin foam piece.

Would it be a skate that is not fully broken in and I need more time on and a rebake, tightening them too far, or a combination of both? I don't have pain in my arch, heel, or any other part of my feet. It's also more pronounced on my right foot vs my left but I could equally feel it.

Old
02-28-2010, 06:57 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I have Superfeet and love them as well. They just seem to put my feet deeper into the boot and they are an upgrade in material over the stock insoles (piece of foam). I also used the Shock Doctors and liked those as well.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 07:21 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

I bought them and had to return them, they were excruciating to my feet, I am way too flat footed for them. Within seconds of using them my feet are in instant pain. I tried do the break in period with them, a few mins a time for a couple days, but the pain never decreased, only increased. Luckily they offer a 60 day warranty so I got my $40 back. They are def not for me.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 07:31 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
...the pain I'm experiencing is on the outside curve of my feet behind the small toe. Not quite midway back on the foot. That's the only spot.
I have flat feet and I experienced the exact same thing the first few times I used them. I just played on them the other night and didn't even really notice it so maybe it just took a few hours of skating to break them in. Or maybe I was just really into the game :-) Either way, before when I used the stock insoles the middle of the insides of my feet (where my arches should be) would rub against the boot and leave nickel size blisters. Also my shins would be a little sore on the insides. Using the superfeet I don't have those issues. Using Bauer 1000's in case you're wondering.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2010, 11:55 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
It sounds like the OP needs orthotics.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Anubis79

OP, it could be a couple things. I too get some pain on that part of the foot, and it's down to just having skates that are a bit snug. One of something is always bigger on a person. I got my skates so they were comfortable on my smaller foot. I can crank down on my left one no problems, but if I tighten up the right one too much I get that pinching pain. I had it with stock footbeds and superfeet. Most of the difference in the superfeet is at the heel so I don't think it should alter the volume at the toes drastically enough to create pressure points. I'd use the superfeet if you get them baked again and give them a couple uses to see how things are. You could also alter how much and where you tighten your skates, leaving some room at the toes and then tighten normally 4 eyes in or so.

Anubis79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I just got new skates and had a lot of pain right behind the ball of the feet where the arch starts. I had my skates widened a bit up front and the pain went away.

Superfeet were much better than stock Vapor insoles for me...thinner and more grip for the foot with a bit of a heel/arch lift. I've got slightly flat feet and pronate (knees buckle in a bit), and it seemed to help. I'm now on Grafs with molded footbeds.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 06:11 PM
cmdrdredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis79 View Post
OP, it could be a couple things. I too get some pain on that part of the foot, and it's down to just having skates that are a bit snug. One of something is always bigger on a person. I got my skates so they were comfortable on my smaller foot. I can crank down on my left one no problems, but if I tighten up the right one too much I get that pinching pain. I had it with stock footbeds and superfeet. Most of the difference in the superfeet is at the heel so I don't think it should alter the volume at the toes drastically enough to create pressure points. I'd use the superfeet if you get them baked again and give them a couple uses to see how things are. You could also alter how much and where you tighten your skates, leaving some room at the toes and then tighten normally 4 eyes in or so.
This seemed to be it on my new skates. I had been using Superfeet on my inline skates but first time on ice hockey skates and they were new skates. What happened was when I crank the laces down on the 3rd 4th and 5th and 6th eyelet from the toe, I got the pain come back after a time. So what I did was snug them up but didn't pull them tight (can move them with my fingers) then I did the next 5 tight to pull my heel in and it was night and day. I asked the guys at the LHS and they mentioned that with some new skates, especially if someone steps up to more of a pro boot, that the boot is very stiff and doesn't give the same as people might be used to. It's obviously not a shoe but even some lower end skates aren't as stiff and they can put pressure on an area that normally would not have much. So they said that some players have to loosen them up. I went back to get a rebake on my U+ Pro Reloaded skates. I managed to move the pressure points out of my ankle area too. I couldn't do much about the sides where it seemed to pinch down, but the way I laced them seemed to have an impact.

Old
07-03-2012, 05:42 AM
Man Bear Pig

Had to dig this up. I'm looking at purchasing some super feet insoles for my skates. I'm not new to skating, I'm actually well above-average(I'm so humble lol) but a recent ankle injury has made me wanna try something with a little more support and I wanted to try something new. The footbeds that come in most skates, at least from what I've seen, are pretty lousy and if you're gonna spend hundreds, why not spend a bit more. I'm completely flat footed and have insoles on all my shoes but have never tried it in a skate for whatever reason. I've read reviews but I'd like to hear some opinions. Have they improved since this thread was created a few years ago? Is it hard to break them in? any soreness? improvement in skating or just comfort(or both)?

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:36 AM
PaperworkNinja

I'm trying to break mine in. Flat feet aren't helping. I've learned to take a knee or two during the talking part of on-ice instruction so I can take the weight off of my feet.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:28 AM
AIREAYE

Nope they're the same if you're talking about SF Yellow.

There will be benefits but the degree of which really depends on the person. The easiest thing to do is just buy a pair in your size and if you don't like them, take advantage of their 60 day comfort guarantee.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:40 AM
noobman

Use 'em, love 'em, can't stand playing without them. I have flat feet and I'm prone to supination... both of which they help correct.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Man Bear Pig

Should clarify that I am talking about the yellow ones. I'm expecting soreness for a while, I have zero arch, completely flat footed. From the diagram I saw, it appears to change your stride quite a bit...for the better I'm assuming. Does it feel weird? says you use less energy per stride essentially.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Vuronov

I have flat feet with overpronation and I've found that the superfeet yellow do seem to give me a more comfortable feeling on the ice. My edges seem stronger and my stride more stable.

Did it radically change my game, no, but I did perceive a noticable improvement in my skating. I will say that the first time or two I was in them they were rather uncomortable, but once I got used to them I don't even realize they're there anymore...unless I take them out and put in an old pair of shockdoctors.

Vuronov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Semak

My teammate bought some custom made ones for roller that ran him $160 bucks! He's a nut and has the cash flow. I'm just looking for something comfortable and won't break the bank. Might buy a pair each from SD and SF and see which I like since I have 3 pairs of skates (ice, indoor and outdoor roller).

Semak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:58 AM
nwharris74

I bought some a few months ago. I'm not the best skater in the bunch but I did notice a immediate sense of increased stability and felt a little more power in my stride. I have a normal arch and tend to overpronate a bit. They were a little pricey but they did what I wanted them to do and as advertised. Overall I think they gave me a edge that using a stock foot bed could not. I also had to tie the laces a bit looser. First time out was a bit painful.

nwharris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:45 PM
PensBeerGeek

Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
I've used the Green footbeds (high arch) and not only was it more comfortable for my feet it also cut down on the lower back pain.

PensBeerGeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Guffaw

I just got these and tried them once. I have very high arches. I had no foot pain before these in my Graf G3's and really didn't notice a difference. I may go back to the stock insoles as they're a bit lighter and keep these in my Nike training shoes.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Frankie Spankie

This thread makes me miss mine.

I had them for my old skates but I replaced them with a pair of MLX when they had 50% off coupons. My new skates are too wide and just a little longer so the insoles are loose in the boot. At least the MLX insoles are good, still miss my Superfeet insoles though.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
esidebill

I tried a pair, but to be honest I felt they messed with the way that the skate was supposed to fit. I already have issues with volume, and they seemed to take up more volume. The stock insole held my heel in better as well.

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Should clarify that I am talking about the yellow ones. I'm expecting soreness for a while, I have zero arch, completely flat footed. From the diagram I saw, it appears to change your stride quite a bit...for the better I'm assuming. Does it feel weird? says you use less energy per stride essentially.
I used to work with this company so I know this product well. It is absolutely the closest you can come to a custom insole. The yellow ones are specifically for hockey skates. I dont use them, but I know I should. I do use the blue ones for my business/work shoes.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:20 AM
clayman

How exactly are these better then the stock footbeds in say my CCMU+12's? Using these, will my skates be too tight if they fit "just right" now? Thanks for any input!

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote