HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), BCHL, CJAHL, and its leagues.

Ottawa U18 Part 3 (PLEASE READ moderator statement in post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

vCash: 500
Ottawa U18 Part 3 (PLEASE READ moderator statement in post #1)

Please continue. Remember to stay on topic and avoid any personal attacks. Report any posts to us that you believe violate the site rules by clicking on the red and white triangle:

Previous thread:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2020501

Last edited by Megustaelhockey: 05-16-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old
04-13-2016, 10:12 AM
kellmuff96

Given that the GOld Cup team is likely the same one that would have competed at the OHL Cup, how do you think they would have done?

Guessing semis at worst

Old
04-13-2016, 10:28 AM
No Skin in the Game

Looks like James Buckley was added to the GTHL Red team, great news for him!

Old
04-13-2016, 10:57 AM
stickhandle

"Originally Posted by Easternfan View Post
Just happy to see teams using affiliates from u18 in key games. I am not at game but would be interested to hear how both boys are doing. Too many negative people on here saying u18 is watered down and hurts the elite players but I hope these two prove them wrong.

I was negative about this league a year ago but mainly because the league was too secretive. They still need to release budgets and be more open to parents. Hockey-wise most teams did what was expected except a few but HEO was supposed to enforce rules but never did.

We will see what is changed for next year."

No matter what angle you put on the league more players, more coaches does not make a product better. Its like saying that if the NHL let the AHL and the echl join them it would be a better league.Please dont refer to people presenting facts as negative

Old
04-13-2016, 12:00 PM
valleydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellmuff96 View Post
Given that the GOld Cup team is likely the same one that would have competed at the OHL Cup, how do you think they would have done?

Guessing semis at worst
Do you mean if HEO was allowed to send one all-star team from the entire branch to the OHL Cup ? That will never happen.

Old
04-15-2016, 08:19 AM
upinarms

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Forever View Post

Rink rumour during league finals from excellent sources have CCHL offering/ wanting Perth and Casselman to acquire CCHL franchises which would have both leagues at 14 ....teams from both leagues could then partner up ....also no 16 year olds in CCHL2 next year.... Two 21 twenty one year olds next year and then 21 year olds gone.....heard a franchise price and it seemed completely ridiculous...

Above copied from CCHL2 Boards:

Sounds as if a 16 yr old can't make a JR A team he will be playing U18. Doesn't make sense to me. Getting rid of 21 yr olds to make league younger but not allowing 16 yr olds which would make league younger?? I guess that frees up space in JR B for 18 to 20 yr olds. I have a feeling there will be a log jam in U18 in a couple of years with so many 16 year olds looking for a place to play, and allot of 17 - 18 year olds not skilled enough to play JR B.

Old
04-15-2016, 08:31 AM
CC87

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickhandle View Post
"Originally Posted by Easternfan View Post
Just happy to see teams using affiliates from u18 in key games. I am not at game but would be interested to hear how both boys are doing. Too many negative people on here saying u18 is watered down and hurts the elite players but I hope these two prove them wrong.

I was negative about this league a year ago but mainly because the league was too secretive. They still need to release budgets and be more open to parents. Hockey-wise most teams did what was expected except a few but HEO was supposed to enforce rules but never did.

We will see what is changed for next year."

No matter what angle you put on the league more players, more coaches does not make a product better. Its like saying that if the NHL let the AHL and the echl join them it would be a better league.Please dont refer to people presenting facts as negative
I think I would be less worried about budget, and more worried about actuals.

Where budget is greater than the actual, there will be a surplus. There is a great deal of potential for that with regards to the ice budget.

How would this be audited, reported, and distributed?

Old
04-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Bossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinarms View Post
Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Forever View Post

Rink rumour during league finals from excellent sources have CCHL offering/ wanting Perth and Casselman to acquire CCHL franchises which would have both leagues at 14 ....teams from both leagues could then partner up ....also no 16 year olds in CCHL2 next year.... Two 21 twenty one year olds next year and then 21 year olds gone.....heard a franchise price and it seemed completely ridiculous...

Above copied from CCHL2 Boards:

Sounds as if a 16 yr old can't make a JR A team he will be playing U18. Doesn't make sense to me. Getting rid of 21 yr olds to make league younger but not allowing 16 yr olds which would make league younger?? I guess that frees up space in JR B for 18 to 20 yr olds. I have a feeling there will be a log jam in U18 in a couple of years with so many 16 year olds looking for a place to play, and allot of 17 - 18 year olds not skilled enough to play JR B.
Read the rest of thread Jason Clarke said that it's not true. No way they would take away that option for kids. Oliver Castleman that played for the Vikings is a good example kid would have been best player in U18 by a mile he decided to play CCHl2 had a great year and now has a shot at playing in the OHL

Old
04-15-2016, 08:40 AM
cchltier1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC87 View Post
I think I would be less worried about budget, and more worried about actuals.

Where budget is greater than the actual, there will be a surplus. There is a great deal of potential for that with regards to the ice budget.

How would this be audited, reported, and distributed?
The financials are run by HEO so it it actually puts in an extra layer of review prior to payment, midget teams do not even have their own bank accounts, everything is thru one central account.

Lots of minor hockey associations do not have audits, some do not even publicly release their statements (unless you attend AGM) and they have far greater budgets. Personally at the very least I believe they should all post their statements on their websites for all the membership to see.

League has indicated that they are releasing financials, just have to wait and see what is given. League just finished up a month ago, generally it takes a little while to get everything finalized.

Last edited by cchltier1fan: 04-15-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old
04-15-2016, 08:45 AM
cchltier1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
Read the rest of thread Jason Clarke said that it's not true. No way they would take away that option for kids. Oliver Castleman that played for the Vikings is a good example kid would have been best player in U18 by a mile he decided to play CCHl2 had a great year and now has a shot at playing in the OHL
There were also 2 sixteen year olds drafted to OHL from Midget, I do not know the last time HEO had any from Midget much less two, or three in total from the Branch (there were only 9 in total in the whole draft). Of the three I agree Castleman has the best chance but would not be surprised if 1 of the other 2 does not make it also, generally when older kids are selected teams expect them to play for them.

Old
04-18-2016, 11:44 AM
nothappy

Calling CCHLteir1fan

Did I hear right that Mr. Abrams in his information session with the U16 players/parents never made any comments on the U18 league. He never spoke about any changes, never addressed questions asked about the OHL Cup or tournaments. So his league was so good that they do not have to change anything.

His complete message was about his vision for the CCHL and that it is moving towards owning/running Hockey Academy's like CIHA in every town that has a CCHL franchise.

The CCHL is branching out into education. God help us all.

Very interested in your comments.

Old
04-18-2016, 12:00 PM
cchltier1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothappy View Post
Did I hear right that Mr. Abrams in his information session with the U16 players/parents never made any comments on the U18 league. He never spoke about any changes, never addressed questions asked about the OHL Cup or tournaments. So his league was so good that they do not have to change anything.

His complete message was about his vision for the CCHL and that it is moving towards owning/running Hockey Academy's like CIHA in every town that has a CCHL franchise.

I was not at the weekend Bantam event.

Old
04-18-2016, 01:33 PM
highwayman

Quote:

Was HEO Minor in attendance, and if so what comments did they put forward?

Old
04-18-2016, 07:40 PM
Easternfan

Congrats to all the players selected in the Bantam draft tonight. Same goes to the Midget players.

Old
04-19-2016, 07:11 AM
HockeyVolunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easternfan View Post
Congrats to all the players selected in the Bantam draft tonight. Same goes to the Midget players.
Is there a link to where we can find the names of the picks?

Edit: Should of checked first before posting

http://cchl.rinknetcloud.com/2016/Bantam/results.htm

Old
04-19-2016, 08:52 AM
nothappy

The league had about 84 15 year olds last year. The same amount of 16 year olds and the rest were 17 year olds so about 36 or less.
With no changes announced at the U16 meeting held by KA, Sherry Melloy and Denis D. The league quota of players remains the same .So where do the late blooming 17 year olds get to play next year?
84 16 year olds will be 17 next season and only 36 of those will have a spot to play. So 48 kids will be moving to CCHL? CCHL2? Midget AA or out of hockey.
Does anybody care that HEO Minor and the U18 league have damaged Midget hockey in this area?

Old
04-19-2016, 09:47 AM
InigoAtOttawa

Quote:
The league had about 84 15 year olds last year. The same amount of 16 year olds and the rest were 17 year olds so about 36 or less.
With no changes announced at the U16 meeting held by KA, Sherry Melloy and Denis D. The league quota of players remains the same .So where do the late blooming 17 year olds get to play next year?
84 16 year olds will be 17 next season and only 36 of those will have a spot to play. So 48 kids will be moving to CCHL? CCHL2? Midget AA or out of hockey.
Does anybody care that HEO Minor and the U18 league have damaged Midget hockey in this area?
In the old 5 team major midget AAA, how many spots were there for second year major midget kids? Were there more than 7 per team (36/5) or we're those teams mostly made up of first year players? I can think of lots of reasons to criticise the new U18 league, but this doesn't seem like an obvious one.

Old
04-19-2016, 10:02 AM
nothappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InigoAtOttawa View Post
In the old 5 team major midget AAA, how many spots were there for second year major midget kids? Were there more than 7 per team (36/5) or we're those teams mostly made up of first year players? I can think of lots of reasons to criticise the new U18 league, but this doesn't seem like an obvious one.
Coaches picked the best team regardless of age.

Last edited by nothappy: 04-19-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old
04-19-2016, 10:22 AM
No Skin in the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyVolunteer View Post
Is there a link to where we can find the names of the picks?

Edit: Should of checked first before posting

http://cchl.rinknetcloud.com/2016/Bantam/results.htm
Why does the third round only show 4 players? Anyone else torn during these drafts? (i'm a total softie and I know this is competitive sports so no need to remind me) Seeing everyone post on FB and Twitter about being drafted (this or OHL) knowing that the higher round kids will likely never get to play....its easy to forget that they are just 15 and 16 year old kids with the weight of all these hopes and expectations on their shoulders, feels like selling the dream has consequences, watched a kid go from always playing AAA, being drafted by U18 then end up in Rep B, not easy to face the friends after that.....

Old
04-19-2016, 10:45 AM
kellmuff96

Quote:
Originally Posted by InigoAtOttawa View Post
any team that wanted to make a run at the Telus Cup had as many second years as possible

Old
04-19-2016, 11:51 AM
nothappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellmuff96 View Post
any team that wanted to make a run at the Telus Cup had as many second years as possible
Please ask the old Kanata coach that question. They released 17 year olds that were better than 16 and 15 year olds they kept.

Old
04-19-2016, 11:53 AM
nothappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Skin in the Game View Post
Why does the third round only show 4 players? Anyone else torn during these drafts? (i'm a total softie and I know this is competitive sports so no need to remind me) Seeing everyone post on FB and Twitter about being drafted (this or OHL) knowing that the higher round kids will likely never get to play....its easy to forget that they are just 15 and 16 year old kids with the weight of all these hopes and expectations on their shoulders, feels like selling the dream has consequences, watched a kid go from always playing AAA, being drafted by U18 then end up in Rep B, not easy to face the friends after that.....
My understanding is the 3rd round is compensatory picks. Most leagues just add them to a round.

Old
04-19-2016, 01:33 PM
valleydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Skin in the Game View Post
Being drafted is an accomplishment, and I think most should leave it at that. What comes next has more to do about school, committments, etc... There were some rep B teams with 2 or more OHL draft packs on them this year. These are the kids who realize what is really important and have moved on to Plan B. No shame in that in my eyes.

Old
04-19-2016, 01:50 PM
nothappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleydude View Post
Being drafted is an accomplishment, and I think most should leave it at that. What comes next has more to do about school, committments, etc...There were some rep B teams with 2 or more OHL draft packs on them this year. These are the kids who realize what is really important and have moved on to Plan B. No shame in that in my eyes.
Please point out which B reb team had OHL picks this year. Just went through the draft I did not see any.

Old
04-19-2016, 02:01 PM
valleydude

Quote:
Please point out which B reb team had OHL picks this year. Just went through the draft I did not see any.
Either I was not clear, or you misread.

What I meant to say was that a Rep B team this year, had two players (maybe 3) who were OHL draft picks over the past 1 or 2 years.

So, they should be proud they were drafted, not ashamed they played Rep B now as someone else was getting at.

Closed Thread