HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XI

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2012, 11:15 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
If there's no season? There'd be a possibility that we'd even pick #1.
We would have 1 ball in the mix (if we are going by last lockout rules). It would be a very small chance. And if they do it all behind the curtain again, I bet you one of the sunbelt teams (florida, phoenix or nashville even) end up with that #1 pick.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
We would have 1 ball in the mix (if we are going by last lockout rules). It would be a very small chance. And if they do it all behind the curtain again, I bet you one of the sunbelt teams (florida, phoenix or nashville even) end up with that #1 pick.
It's one thing to be pessimistic. It's another to call the league rigged.

Old
10-22-2012, 11:42 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
It's one thing to be pessimistic. It's another to call the league rigged.
That draft didn't raise your suspicions?

The Penguins were in financial trouble and in danger of relocating...multiple losing seasons...draft lottery held behind doors and they end up with Crosby.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
That draft didn't raise your suspicions?

The Penguins were in financial trouble and in danger of relocating...multiple losing seasons...draft lottery held behind doors and they end up with Crosby.
don't forget the Pens had been one of the worst teams in the league if not the worst the last few years so they had a major chance to get that pick. Didn't they have the most balls out of all teams? Statistically they had or were tied for having the best chance to land that pick so how can that be overly suspicious?

Old
10-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
don't forget the Pens had been one of the worst teams in the league if not the worst the last few years so they had a major chance to get that pick
Wasn't as bad as the time the Pens deliberately tanked in order to draft Mario Lemieux.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Reign Nateo

Ya if there's no season Phoenix may as well just start printing MacKinnon jerseys...

Old
10-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
No love for Kevin Bieksa?
I am insulted that Superman is being used in the same breath of the Avengers.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:41 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
don't forget the Pens had been one of the worst teams in the league if not the worst the last few years so they had a major chance to get that pick. Didn't they have the most balls out of all teams? Statistically they had or were tied for having the best chance to land that pick so how can that be overly suspicious?

No...they were tied with a bunch of other teams. The reason I am suspicious is why they would conduct it behind closed doors?

Old
10-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Nuck This

If the Canucks did end up miraculously getting a top 3 pick the Canucks hate would get to a whole new level.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
If the Canucks did end up miraculously getting a top 3 pick the Canucks hate would get to a whole new level.
I'd be willing to make that sacrifice, wouldn't you?

Old
10-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Wisp

Why do we need to be liked?

Fans need to realize the more successful the team is the more strongly we're going to be hated. I know what I want. Bring on the success!

Old
10-22-2012, 03:37 PM
windflare

Thanks to Tim Wallach, Ward Cornell, CharlieGirl and Faidh ar Rud Eigin, Kitchener fans who've graciously responded to some questions on McEneny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach
I'm a big fan of McEneny and think his upside is very high. A nice, under-the-radar signing by the Canucks taking advantage of him missing last season.

So far this year it has been up-and-down, but that's to be expected. For one, the team has had a lousy start and none of them are playing well. And with Evan missing a key developmental year, it'll be Christmas before he's up to speed.

He looked really strong in the first couple games, and even decent in a couple recent ones. But he had an atrocious outing against Ottawa last week. Just looked lost and backed in way too far and was soft. A bad game for sure.

So far, he has played both PP and PK and mostly played with Fanelli as his partner, but recently got Iafrate. He missed a couple games as a precaution for a lower body issue, but is back now. He has been effective on the PP by keeping it simple. He just snaps quick wristers at the net and has hit a couple posts as well. Nothing fancy. And on the PK, he is also efficient and tidy. His special team work has been fine.

I have noticed he's a bit tentative to engage physically - perhaps lingering mental barriers from the injury - and that's costing him a bit in terms of surrendering chances and puck possession in his own zone.

But overall, he's got good size and sense and is working his way back to the elite player he likely will be. Right now he's essentially their #3 guy and I expect he'll be #2 by year's end. Very solid player. Just has some work to do.

I think a lot of defencemen try to get by on efficiency of movement and solid positioning, but with Evan I'd actually like to see him move to the play more and use his skating to force the issue. The few problems he has had so far this year revolve around being too passive or getting confused while flat-footed. He has ability that others don't have to make plays if he's more assertive.

I'm a big fan of his potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell
Defence partner is either Ben Fanelli or Max Iafrate (Al's son)
His play has been ok but thats to be expected with his time missed last year.
I still say that the Canucks got a good defenceman who probably would have been a late 1st pick!

A puck moving defenceman with exceptional ice vision.
But I believe he can develop into a good defensive d-man shortly. He's too smart not to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl
Happy to help! Last night was our first home game, so this is limited viewing so far. He's been very solid, and last night was paired with Ryan Murphy most of the night (he's had various partners so far, that pairing looked good last night). He probably played 20+ minutes, in all situations. He had a few scoring chances on the PP, but with limited time - Kitchener has been using a forward on the point, and Murphy is the #1 PP defenseman.

I'm really looking forward to seeing him progress as the year goes on - it's such a shame he lost last season, because he was looking very good in the first couple of games before his injury.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:54 PM

A brief review of Wes Myron's work in BU's first game, from the BU fan board at USCHO:

"Myron looks like the best of the freshmen forwards at this point. But that whole third line looked pretty solid."

Old
10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
^ Thanks for the reports guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Oh dang, guess I'll have to hope we don't get it then.

Quote:
No...they were tied with a bunch of other teams. The reason I am suspicious is why they would conduct it behind closed doors?
Do they always hold it behind closed doors?

Old
10-22-2012, 05:34 PM
deckercky

Quote:
If they didn't do it behind closed doors, then the first ball drawn is the first pick. That makes for terrible TV. There'd also be a bunch of repeat balls drawn over time.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:57 PM
BeardedCanuck

vCash: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
If they didn't do it behind closed doors, then the first ball drawn is the first pick. That makes for terrible TV. There'd also be a bunch of repeat balls drawn over time.
NHL all star draft speacial people watch that crap they'd be more then willing to watch the all 30 teams get the balls drawn yea sure #1 pick comes at first but there's still 29 other fan bases waiting to see what number they get, plus there would be draft analysis on those repeat balls.

Old
10-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentknfei View Post
NHL all star draft speacial people watch that crap they'd be more then willing to watch the all 30 teams get the balls drawn yea sure #1 pick comes at first but there's still 29 other fan bases waiting to see what number they get, plus there would be draft analysis on those repeat balls.
It's still more suspenseful and generates more hype. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Old
10-22-2012, 06:22 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Do they always hold it behind closed doors?
Yes, as does the NBA...it just doesn't make sense to have it go the other way...unless it was a reverse draw with the team who's ball is drawn last wins the lottery and teams who lose all their balls get eliminated (obviously the ball system would have to be reversed).

Old
10-23-2012, 12:10 AM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I am insulted that Superman is being used in the same breath of the Avengers.
I can't tell if you're an offended Avengers fan or offended Superman fan. I will judge you for one of them.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
I can't tell if you're an offended Avengers fan or offended Superman fan. I will judge you for one of them.
I like my allusions to gods and goddesses to be a little more literal.

You don't have an Avengers avatar so I must assume you're a terrible person.

Old
10-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
Thanks to Tim Wallach, Ward Cornell, CharlieGirl and Faidh ar Rud Eigin, Kitchener fans who've graciously responded to some questions on McEneny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach
So far, he has played both PP and PK and mostly played with Fanelli as his partner, but recently got Iafrate..
Would that be Al "Empty net goals are for ****" Iafrate's son? If so, what's his story? Is he drafted?

Old
10-23-2012, 01:39 AM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
Would that be Al "Empty net goals are for ****" Iafrate's son? If so, what's his story? Is he drafted?
Not drafted, invited to Cap's development camp last year.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:46 AM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I like my allusions to gods and goddesses to be a little more literal.

You don't have an Avengers avatar so I must assume you're a terrible person.
I deem thee worthy. Oh, and the lack of an Avengers avatar just means I don't participate on this board much and thus am never around when those things get handed out.

Old
10-23-2012, 04:45 AM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Interesting Tidbit not sure if you all knew this or not, but Marcus Foligno's dad, Mike, is the Assistant coach of the Wolves.

Hahaha maybe brought in to turn our PWF or gritty kids into his like his son! =D

Old
10-23-2012, 10:39 AM
duplo

Quote:
Tyson Giuriato ‏@TysonGiuriato
Canucks prospect @BrendanGaunce16 named to @OHLHockey all-star team that will play Russia in the Subway Super Series
Quote:
Tyson Giuriato ‏@TysonGiuriato
Canucks prospect @frankcorrado22 named to @OHLHockey All-Star team that will play Russia in the Subway Super Series
cool beans

Closed Thread