HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part XI

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 08:56 PM
MS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
30 #1's?

New Jersey's is who? Bryce Salvador, Buffalo's is? Ehrhoff? eek, Myers? Vancouver clearly doesn't have one, Edmonton? Ryan Whitney?

A teams best two way defensman doesn't automatically equate to a #1.

I'll agree about Pronman though!
Obviously not every team has a #1 defender. And some teams (like Nashville last season or Chicago) will have two.

If there are 30 NHL teams, there are 30 #1 defender spots available, and then by definition the top 30 NHL defenders will be worthy of being called a #1 defender. And the 31st-60th best defenders in the league are ‘#2 defenders’ and so on.

If you only call the top 8 guys #1 defenders and, say, the next 20 after that #2 defenders ... all of a sudden the 30th best defender in the sport is a ‘#3 defender’ despite playing #1-2 minutes for every team in the NHL.

The 15th-best defender in the NHL is an ‘average #1 defender’.

To live on a planet where only the top 5 or 7 Norris-contending guys are considered ‘#1 defenders’ makes zero sense. Again, there is a ‘franchise’ defender and then there is a #1 defender.

If anything, I’d argue we have two #1 defenders.

Old
10-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
If you only call the top 8 guys #1 defenders and, say, the next 20 after that #2 defenders ... all of a sudden the 30th best defender in the sport is a ‘#3 defender’ despite playing #1-2 minutes for every team in the NHL.
There is a huge difference between the top 5 or 8 and 25-30, the same gap doesn't exist from 30-90.

It just feels wrong to put the 30th best defensemen in the league in the same class as Chara etc.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:33 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
There is a huge difference between the top 5 or 8 and 25-30, the same gap doesn't exist from 30-90.

It just feels wrong to put the 30th best defensemen in the league in the same class as Chara etc.
There's a difference between a #1 center and a franchise center. Krejci, Kesler, Richards, and Weiss are all #1 centermen, few would argue that. Malkin, Crosby, Sedin, Stamkos, Datsyuk and so on are all franchise centermen, there's a considerable difference. It's the same for defensemen, Edler is a #1 defenseman but not a franchise defenseman like Weber. I wouldn't build my franchise solely around Edler as the cornerstone whereas I would with Chara, Lidstrom, or Edler.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:39 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
There's a difference between a #1 center and a franchise center. Krejci, Kesler, Richards, and Weiss are all #1 centermen, few would argue that. Malkin, Crosby, Sedin, Stamkos, Datsyuk and so on are all franchise centermen, there's a considerable difference. It's the same for defensemen, Edler is a #1 defenseman but not a franchise defenseman like Weber. I wouldn't build my franchise solely around Edler as the cornerstone whereas I would with Chara, Lidstrom, or Edler.
wut?

Old
10-31-2012, 12:40 AM
Zarpan

Quote:

You could say the same thing for goalies. Corey Crawford was voted as the 30th best goalie in an HFBoards poll. He's considered a #1 goalie (albeit a very mediocre one), just like Lundqvist.

The 30th best defenseman should be considered a #1 defenseman, although they'll obviously be quite fringe for a #1. You would definitely want one of the top-tier #1 defensemen if you were building a strong Cup contender though.

I think there definitely is a lack of an agreed upon definition for a #1 defenseman though - and that creates some confusion when people discuss #1 defensemen.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:41 AM
Wisp

He probably meant Weber.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Damn.. Jensen plays with Biggs. And now he's gone.

And if you view this Siverback, check your pm b/c I have a problem with unactive playoff rival for this round. sorry for the hunt down, just hope we haven't advanced so we can get it figured out.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:57 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
I find placing the word "legit" in front of anything works. Legit #1 D, Legit #1 centre, Legit top-6 forward, etc.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I find placing the word "legit" in front of anything works. Legit #1 D, Legit #1 centre, Legit top-6 forward, etc.
It's basically like would you be comfortable moving them up a line/spot if there are injuries, like with Kesler he is a more than legit #2 and is an okay #1 if needed.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:09 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
You could say the same thing for goalies. Corey Crawford was voted as the 30th best goalie in an HFBoards poll. He's considered a #1 goalie (albeit a very mediocre one), just like Lundqvist.

The 30th best defenseman should be considered a #1 defenseman, although they'll obviously be quite fringe for a #1. You would definitely want one of the top-tier #1 defensemen if you were building a strong Cup contender though.

I think there definitely is a lack of an agreed upon definition for a #1 defenseman though - and that creates some confusion when people discuss #1 defensemen.
So in this case a team's 'No. 1 defenseman' by definition is really just their top defender, irregardless of how they stack up compared to another team's No. 1? A No. 1 D on Edmonton, for example, may be No. 3 in Vancouver for example.

I thought the 'traditional' definition of a No. 1 guy, if there ever really was one, was a very good two-way D-man who could play big minutes and in all situations, no matter what. And not all teams might have one player of this calibre. So it's possible that the meanings of 'No. 1' have been mixed up?

Old
10-31-2012, 02:24 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I wouldn't call any guy playing that position by default a #1. Weiss is only a #1 because they don't have anyone better. Krejci and Kesler are borderline, neither has carried the load and both are inconsistent. It applies to every position for me, I don't see the point in classifying players in a way that doesn't narrow the field in a meaningful way. If the NHL expands to 40 teams, are there then 40 #1's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
I do not consider Crawford a #1 goalie.

Last edited by Scurr: 10-31-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old
10-31-2012, 03:46 AM
Zarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
So in this case a team's 'No. 1 defenseman' by definition is really just their top defender, irregardless of how they stack up compared to another team's No. 1? A No. 1 D on Edmonton, for example, may be No. 3 in Vancouver for example.

I thought the 'traditional' definition of a No. 1 guy, if there ever really was one, was a very good two-way D-man who could play big minutes and in all situations, no matter what. And not all teams might have one player of this calibre. So it's possible that the meanings of 'No. 1' have been mixed up?
Nope, the definition I was using was a top 30 dman in the NHL. Some teams may have none, others may have multiples. I think Vancouver has two, but they're not top-tier franchise defensemen.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:52 AM
Zarpan

Quote:
He's pretty marginal for sure, but I was using him as an example since he was ranked #30 in the poll. Only 25% of people voted him as #30 though, so there would be a lot of people who would consider him a #2.

Maybe someone like Niemi (#25) would be a better example. I think most people would rank him in the top 30, although few would rank him in the top half. I don't think you can call him a #2, although he's a very pedestrian #1.

Old
10-31-2012, 02:28 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Obviously not every team has a #1 defender. And some teams (like Nashville last season or Chicago) will have two.

If there are 30 NHL teams, there are 30 #1 defender spots available, and then by definition the top 30 NHL defenders will be worthy of being called a #1 defender. And the 31st-60th best defenders in the league are ‘#2 defenders’ and so on.

The 15th-best defender in the NHL is an ‘average #1 defender’.

To live on a planet where only the top 5 or 7 Norris-contending guys are considered ‘#1 defenders’ makes zero sense. Again, there is a ‘franchise’ defender and then there is a #1 defender.

If anything, I’d argue we have two #1 defenders.
Seabrook is overrated. He's not a #1 either.

I made a post a number on months ago on terms I use, now I forget them (I'll try and find it)....but some teams #1 doesn't kill penalties.

IMO a true #1 plays the oppositions best players. It's why I can't class Edler there. His own team doesn't ask him too, why do the fans think he does?

It reminds me of when we had Ehrhoff...quite clearly was our #1 offensive defensman, but got butter soft minutes 5 on 5....like Erik Karlsson, he's a #1 in terms of being a PP QB and skating the most EV strength minutes, but does not shutdown anyone.

If my #1 d-man can't play D, then he aint #1 - he's just my PP QB.

Old
10-31-2012, 02:50 PM
pitseleh

The whole #1 defender (or any other # position) thing adds no value to people's understanding of how good a player is and is simply a semantic argument over the definition of #1. It just ends up distracting everyone from the real question (how good is Jake Gardiner?).

Old
10-31-2012, 02:54 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
The whole #1 defender (or any other # position) thing adds no value to people's understanding of how good a player is and is simply a semantic argument over the definition of #1. It just ends up distracting everyone from the real question (how good is Jake Gardiner?).
While true, if the board could come to a consensus on the term, then attributing a number to how good Jake Gardiner is would be easier.

He has top pairing potential, but I don't think he'd be a true #1 - more Brian Campbell then Duncan Keith.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:00 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
While true, if the board could come to a consensus on the term, then attributing a number to how good Jake Gardiner is would be easier.

He has top pairing potential, but I don't think he'd be a true #1 - more Brian Campbell then Duncan Keith.
To me it's a player who logs 30+ mins a game, is a key contributor both on the PP and PK, is consistently defensively responsible and adds 30 + points/year.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:06 PM
pitseleh

Quote:

The problem is that there isn't really a cookie cutter approach. Maybe you could define a #1 as a defenceman that is relied upon (heavily) at EV and on the PP/PK (i.e. Chara, Lidstrom, Weber), but then you're out of luck trying to define #2, #3, etc. How do you define those categories to encompass both Willie Mitchell and Alex Edler?

Why not just analyze players based on how they contribute (i.e. we all know Jake Gardiner will be a good PP player going forward, but the question is whether his defensive game will round out enough to be a reliable minute eater at EV/PK) rather than try to figure out whether they fit into some category that no one has a definition of?

Old
10-31-2012, 03:15 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
The problem is that there isn't really a cookie cutter approach. Maybe you could define a #1 as a defenceman that is relied upon (heavily) at EV and on the PP/PK (i.e. Chara, Lidstrom, Weber), but then you're out of luck trying to define #2, #3, etc. How do you define those categories to encompass both Willie Mitchell and Alex Edler?

Why not just analyze players based on how they contribute (i.e. we all know Jake Gardiner will be a good PP player going forward, but the question is whether his defensive game will round out enough to be a reliable minute eater at EV/PK) rather than try to figure out whether they fit into some category that no one has a definition of?
I can't say I disagree, but the whole debate sprung in this thread by Corey Pronman calling Gardiner a potential #3 ie. a 2nd pairing defensman.

Old
10-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Scurr

Quote:

#1 D

Contributes significantly on both special team, plays great defence and contributes offensively at even strength

Contributes significantly to at least one special team, plays great defence and good offensively or good defence and great offensively

#3 Contributes significantly to at least one special team, plays good defensively and offensively or great defensively or great offensively.

How'd I do?

Last edited by Scurr: 10-31-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old
10-31-2012, 03:30 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
To me it's a player who logs 30+ mins a game, is a key contributor both on the PP and PK, is consistently defensively responsible and adds 30 + points/year.

So no one then? No defenseman consistently plays more than 26-27 minutes a game.

Old
10-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
I wouldn't call any guy playing that position by default a #1. Weiss is only a #1 because they don't have anyone better. Krejci and Kesler are borderline, neither has carried the load and both are inconsistent. It applies to every position for me, I don't see the point in classifying players in a way that doesn't narrow the field in a meaningful way. If the NHL expands to 40 teams, are there then 40 #1's?

Excluding two seasons ago where he was only on pace for 53 points, hes been on pace to average (while only missing 5 games total) 61 points per season. That would put him between 19th to 24th in scoring for a center in those years. All this while playing on a relatively poor team without much secondary scoring as support. I wouldn't tout Weiss as a 'great' #1 centerman, but he does seem to fill that role just fine. Hence the difference between a #1 center and a franchise center.

Old
10-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

I agree with Pitseleh here. But if a person still wants definitions, it seems to me that the definitions would have to be general enough to be applicable to every defenceman who should fit into the category, past, present and future. That means the terms would have to be very general. I'll take a stab.

#1 = "A defenceman who can play the applicable minutes of a #1 defenceman aka against the opposition's top players, playing the most minutes for his own team on his own team's first pairing. AND play these minutes successfully aka come out on the positive side while playing these minutes."

I'm not sure how to define "positive side", perhaps in terms of +/-, because that is about having more goals scored than goals against while he is on. Or perhaps corsi or some other advanced stat. But to me these seem like the general terms that would have to be used. And these terms seem to include everyone who should be included, Chara, Weber, Doughty, Keith, perhaps Karlsson (depending on whether he plays the most minutes and whether he comes out on top), etc.

Old
10-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferroid View Post
And do you feel particularly confident in the Canucks' organizational ability to produce good quality NHL players?

It has now been 4 years since Gillis took the helm, and outside of Hodgson and Schneider there has been no push up from the farm.

It is possible - and indeed, I hope it is the case - that the last couple years of drafting will result in a few quality NHLers, but to be completely frank, outside of Kassian and Jensen at forward and Lack in net, our prospect pool seems devoid of sure-fire impact players.

For how many seasons can an elite club like the Canucks sustain their high level of play? At least during the WCE days, the Sedins were developing in the wings so that after a few lean years, our team became dominant again.

Like I said, unless Kassian and Jensen pan out as top flight NHLers, I fear for the fate of this team post-Sedins.
Good Points but it needs to said Gillis has been busy winning now. What is his choice? We have a good core now. He is not trading all the future away. To keep winning we have to keep making players like Hansen Burrows Kesler Bieksa be better than expected and get lucky with some picks. Detroit has shown it is easier for lesser prospects to develop on a winning team.

Old
10-31-2012, 06:32 PM
StrictlyCommercial

I don't get why people are arguing with MS on this. He's 100% right.

There are 30 #1 defensemen in the NHL by simple reasoning. (30 teams= 30 #1 spots available)
There are 30 #2 defensemen
etc

People are using the term #1 incorrectly when they really mean 'Franchise' (Weber) or 'Star' (Doughty) or 'Generational talent' (Lidstrom).

I don't see how this is hard to grasp/define.

Closed Thread