HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who's Legacy Would Be Most Hurt By Another Full Season Lockout?

Old
09-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Grohlyone

vCash: 500
Who's Legacy Would Be Most Hurt By Another Full Season Lockout?

Although I know a full season lock out is almost impossible, let's assume for the sake of discussion that it's inevitable. In that situation, who's career legacy would take the greatest impact in terms to how they're viewed historically.

For example, last lockout there were players such as Thornton, Elias, Iginla, St. Louis and Alfredsson who, if had another season of ~PPG, could be seen as HHOF locks, rather than just possibilities.

My guesses would be players like The Sedins, Spezza, Weber, Hossa and Kovalchuk.

Grohlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Phil Connors*

Why is a full season lock out almost impossible?

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I don't think a lockout hurts the legacy of any player.

It hurts their career point totals, sure.

My biggest concern, in the case of a full year lockout (which isn't as impossible as you think), is the veterans who are going year-by-year. Selanne and Jagr come to mind almost immediately as two players who have only a few seasons left in them, if that. Would we really want to see a hall of famer's last "season" be locked out?

09-01-2012, 10:15 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
The same guys hurt by the last one: Iginla, Thornton, St. Louis. All guys who missed a prime season already, and would miss a productive late career season. Sedins would certainly be up there as well.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Pick a player over 30 without a cup. That's your man.

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 11:31 PM
chickenla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Pick a player over 30 without a cup. That's your man.
Too broad of an answer. Plus plenty of players, whether it be 1st liners or 4th liners still have good hockey left in them even when they're over 30.

If anything it would any player on the brink of retirement that hasn't won a cup yet.

chickenla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenla View Post
Too broad of an answer. Plus plenty of players, whether it be 1st liners or 4th liners still have good hockey left in them even when they're over 30.

If anything it would any player on the brink of retirement that hasn't won a cup yet.
A cup is a legacy and to the vast majority of over 30 players missing that chance will change how the fans look at them in a decade. You can't make an argument that one or even a dozen players will hurt more by it then anyone else. You want it narrowed down? Specifically anyone on Vancouver, Nyr, SJ, Danny Briere, Car or any team with kids who need playoff experience to develop into cup contenders like Edm or Buf. In 5 years you can be more specific like the last lockout probably hurt Alfredsson more than anyone else because that was arguably the best sens team in franchise history. Right now there's a lot of guys on that list.

Old
09-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
Chara already has a Norris, countless nominations, and captained his team to the cup, but it's only a matter of time before his play degrades... I'd say he's a borderline lock for the HHOF, this season could staple it, or if it gets locked out and he starts to play worse, potentially ruin it, or at least make him wait a looong time..

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:00 AM
chickenla

Quote:
A cup is a legacy and to the vast majority of over 30 players missing that chance will change how the fans look at them in a decade. You can't make an argument that one or even a dozen players will hurt more by it then anyone else. You want it narrowed down? Specifically anyone on Vancouver, Nyr, SJ, Danny Briere, Car or any team with kids who need playoff experience to develop into cup contenders like Edm or Buf. In 5 years you can be more specific like the last lockout probably hurt Alfredsson more than anyone else because that was arguably the best sens team in franchise history. Right now there's a lot of guys on that list.

Yet those players are in multi year contracts on good teams competing with other teams with locked in players as well. Their chances for cups won't be hurt by a year and then not to mention the kids have their whole careers ahead of them.

And Aldfredsson is on the brink of retirement.

chickenla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:03 AM
PCooper

Check the names on the "Didn't return from Europe" and "Retired" list from the last lock-out:

Didn't come back from Europe
Roman Cechmanek
Arturs Irbe
Kenny Jonsson
Boris Mironov
Aleksey Morozov
Andrei Nikolishin
Robert Reichel
Mikael Renberg
Tommy Salo
Roman Turek

Retired
Vincent Damphousse
Ron Francis
Igor Larionov
Al MacInnis
Mark Messier
Adam Oates
Felix Potvin
Cliff Ronning
Scott Stevens
Steve Thomas

(that was a quick Google, didn't fact check them all, and I'm sure there's plenty more)

PCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Spacecorn

As a flames fan I have to say Jerome Iginla why? Well to make this short and simple he is aging and with out a Stanley Cup ring, he could go down as one of the better or best player to never win a Stanley Cup.

Spacecorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:08 AM
puckfan13

I think the overall point totals of guys that have missed two lockouts and are borderline HOFs? Kovalchuk, Heatley, Hossa? Probably missing more. Another lockout means they all would have missed out on probably around 160 pts give or take each, could end up mattering.

Maybe actually a guy like Brad Richards who has a Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup but 150 more points and two hypothetical "clutch" playoff performances could make or break him. Alfredsson could be in this category too?

I'm pretty sure guys like Iginla and Thornton are going to the HOF regardless so it's the guys just a notch below them.

Last edited by puckfan13: 09-02-2012 at 12:13 AM.
puckfan13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Bruv
to here knows when

Iginla.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenla View Post
Yet those players are in multi year contracts on good teams competing with other teams with locked in players as well. Their chances for cups won't be hurt by a year and then not to mention the kids have their whole careers ahead of them.

And Aldfredsson is on the brink of retirement.
I don't even userstand what you are arguing here. Who has their legacy damaged by a lockout? EVERYONE! The entire league losses a season of their career. Everyone losses a year on their contracts. Rosters loss a year o players. Who losses most? Whoever was suppose to win the hardware and cup. We dont know who those players/teams are. So ask again in 5 years. If thorton, Callahan, Richards, Briere, Luongo, Sedins are still waiting on the cup then they all lost a shot with prime rosters and I'll give the nod to one of them.

Alfie had plenty of hockey left after the last lockout but arguably his best chance was during the locked out season.

Sorry I don't consider a fringe HoFer as losing something from his legacy because a season was locked out. It doesn't change their PPG and if voters don't take lock out into account then add that to already flawed HOF voting process. Cups is Cups.

Old
09-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Grohlyone

Quote:
I don't even userstand what you are arguing here. Who has their legacy damaged by a lockout? EVERYONE! The entire league losses a season of their career. Everyone losses a year on their contracts. Rosters loss a year o players. Who losses most? Whoever was suppose to win the hardware and cup. We dont know who those players/teams are. So ask again in 5 years. If thorton, Callahan, Richards, Briere, Luongo, Sedins are still waiting on the cup then they all lost a shot with prime rosters and I'll give the nod to one of them.

Alfie had plenty of hockey left after the last lockout but arguably his best chance was during the locked out season.

Sorry I don't consider a fringe HoFer as losing something from his legacy because a season was locked out. It doesn't change their PPG and if voters don't take lock out into account then add that to already flawed HOF voting process. Cups is Cups.
But they miss a chance in their prime to increase their PPG. And another ~PPG season would look good on their induction resume.

Grohlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Eternal Sunshine

I think it could muddle Ray Whitney's HHOF chances slightly.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk Tuk View Post
But they miss a chance in their prime to increase their PPG. And another ~PPG season would look good on their induction resume.
If missing ONE season kicks you from the hall then you probably weren't good enough. Guys like Tavares and and Toews don't get a pass. Guys that missed 2 seasons I hope the voters take that into account. Heatly isn't a HOFer regardless, but Alfie shouldn't get punished by voters. However the cup he should have won will always hurt him.