HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

So I'm managing the Avs in NHL13...

Old
08-31-2012, 12:43 AM
Fanned On It

vCash: 500
So I'm managing the Avs in NHL13...

As the thread title states, I've been chosen from a random draft lottery as GM of the Colorado Avalanche in a GM Connected league for NHL13. Only there's one problem with this... I'm a Rangers fan and I have little to no knowledge about the current state of the Colorado Avs. I figured I would come here and try and get a little run-down on the current state of the team, valuable pieces to hold on to (including prospects), older pieces that are declining and trade-able, up and coming stars, future draft picks that you currently hold and whether or not they are worth keeping, cap-space and worries, etc. Pretty much any information that would be useful to a GM lol.

I figured one of you guys might enjoy doing this so if any of you guys have the time to do a little write-up on your team I would be very, very appreciative!

Thanks in advance!

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:55 AM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

vCash: 50
Trade Stastny for Bozak and a 2nd ASAP

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:58 AM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Trade Shane O'Brien ASAP. You can thank me later.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:10 AM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

vCash: 50
Bricky isn't it like 11 pm there? shouldn't you be asleep?

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:35 AM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Bricky isn't it like 11 pm there? shouldn't you be asleep?
My mom said I could stay up until midnight because summer vacation is almost over.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 01:50 AM
Drury_Sakic

It is hard to give you an honest opinion before we see how the new game deals with salary and cap growth.

One of the major issues with the past few NHL games is that the player salary growth is a tad larger than the real world patterns while the cap growth has been a good deal behind the real world growth, thus you have Duchene and company having an 8 million cap hit in NHL 12 after a short while. NHL 12 also did not allow you to "cheat" at all with longer contracts. I have played through several lengthy dynasty modes and each time once the game gets past the first 4-5 years, you see big name UFA and RFA players sitting there forever because no team has 7-9 million in cap space and the CPU does not lower the players demand enough so that they take a number that works.

Since EA has totally ignored any changes to the dynasty mode it seems, it is probably safe to assume that will continue to happen, so the early advice I would have would be to stay with the current roster for the first year or two of the league unless you can swing a trade for a top 2 defender..and as you go into years 3-4-5 try to make 3-4 million in cap space each offseason since you will have to re-sign Duchene, Landeskog, Johnson, Stastny, and possibly O'Reilly over that window.

As for potential salary dump players, you may want to try and find a taker for David Jones, as his fake game value will probably not be worth his real game value and thus contract. Beyond that, the Avs really do not have any big contracts that are likely to hinder you. Only thing you will probably have to contend with beyond the first 2-3 years is the choice of keeping the big 3 centers (Stastny, O'Reilly, Duchene) or trading one and upgrading the D and/or wingers. But once again, that all plays back to how NHL 13 treats player growth and salary growth.

Again, without seeing the full Avs system roster, it is hard to give advice for prospects, but Barrie, Elliott, Siemens, Pickard, and Hishon are likely to be the highest rated prospects. Who you should keep or trade will depend on what you do with the big club. If you want to win sooner than later, trading a few of the D prospects to get you an established upgrade on D would probably be a good thing if you could make it happen. A lefty offensive D man would probably be the biggest benifit for you.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 02:51 AM
Daddy Longlegs

Trade Duchene to Winnipeg for Dustin Byfuglien. It'll give you that top d-man you need.

Daddy Longlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Kiss My Rask
Loui Loui, ohhh no

I own them in one of my Leagues and I traded Stastny for Yandle to solidify the first pairing D.

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Fanned On It

Aright well I'll have to see what I'm working with once the game comes out. Gotta take a look into the system and I'll let you know what I have. I'm sure I'll have some more questions come Friday.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Mouse21*

thing to do is trade for a D. move Stastny+pick for a top D to solidify the back end, then pick up a cheap 3rd line center in exchange for a low level D we have tons of.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:56 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
thing to do is trade for a D. move Stastny+pick for a top D to solidify the back end, then pick up a cheap 3rd line center in exchange for a low level D we have tons of.
Amen!

RobinDIF is online now   Reply With Quote