Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wayne Gretzky award

Old
08-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Daddy Longlegs

vCash: 500
Wayne Gretzky award

Just wondering if anyone else thinks this is a good idea.

They have NHL performance awards for almost everything. For goals, points, MVP, leadership, dedication to hockey, community involvement, defensive forward, plus many more. And most all if not all are named after hockey icons from history. Yet they don't have an award for most assists in a season? Also, the best player in hockey history, who has more assists than anyone in history and will probably hold that record for eternity, doesn't have a trophy named after him?

This screams " petition " to me. I propose the Wayne Gretzky Trophy for most assists in a season.

Who's with me?

Daddy Longlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 04:07 PM
MarkGio

I'm not against it, but I don't think it should be Gretzky. He has so many acomplishments that he really doesn't need recognition.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 05:55 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

Nah.

Not that I'm against the idea of a trophy for the most assists. Just that I don't like the idea of naming it after Wayne Gretzky.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:25 PM
FLAMES666

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Nah.

Not that I'm against the idea of a trophy for the most assists. Just that I don't like the idea of naming it after Wayne Gretzky.
I would be for the simple fact Henrik Sedin would have won the award for the last 3 seasons.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Guido Sarducci

The NHL needs to get rid of a few trophies, not add more. Would you really want to win the Lady Byng? And why the Hart and the Pearson? Figure out witch one is the most important to the players and eliminate the other. And nobody even wants to touch the Wales and Cambell trophies!

Guido Sarducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:02 PM
FLAMES666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido Sarducci View Post
The NHL needs to get rid of a few trophies, not add more. Would you really want to win the Lady Byng? And why the Hart and the Pearson? Figure out witch one is the most important to the players and eliminate the other. And nobody even wants to touch the Wales and Cambell trophies!
Its not like those trophy's are related to each other, why do they need to toss two of them

Old
08-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Guido Sarducci

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Its not like those trophy's are related to each other, why do they need to toss two of them
I am saying the NHL could get rid of at least 4 trophies.

Old
08-31-2012, 11:08 PM
FLAMES666

Quote:
I am saying the NHL could get rid of at least 4 trophies.
Well which ones do you propose they get rid of? The examples you gave are some of the oldest trophies in the league

Old
09-01-2012, 01:46 AM
Backlund

vCash: 1263
Quote:
I would be for the simple fact Henrik Sedin would have won the award for the last 3 seasons.
Same. Wait for Henrik to start sucking or retire to bring a trophy like this into the league

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 02:36 AM
Devilspuppet666

his number is retired league wide... i think thats enough recognition

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 06:57 AM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
his number is retired league wide... i think thats enough recognition
Agreed, everyone agrees that Gretzky is one of the best, if not the best player ever to play the game. What more recognition does he need?

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Ace Rimmer
What a guy!

vCash: 7550
Quote:
Well which ones do you propose they get rid of? The examples you gave are some of the oldest trophies in the league
The "Bud Light Plus Minus Award" comes immediately to mind... At least the name.

Speaking of names, why not just change "Assist" to "Gretzky".

He scored 20 goals and 35 Gretzkys for 55 points last season.

Ace Rimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 11:10 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Agreed, everyone agrees that Gretzky is one of the best, if not the best player ever to play the game. What more recognition does he need?
I don't know how people can think he was only "one of the best". Gretzky was on a whole different level. I love watching classic games of the 80s Oilers where Greztky made magic happen every shift. People only debate it because Greztky was surrounded by a stacked dynasty of elite talent.

Old
09-01-2012, 11:12 AM
MarkGio

I always wanted to see a Gordie Howe award for the most games played where a player scored, assisted, and enganged in physical altercations on behalf of his team.

Old
09-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Daddy Longlegs

How about the "Adam Oates" trophy for assists instead then.

Daddy Longlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 05:14 AM
Guido Sarducci

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I always wanted to see a Gordie Howe award for the most games played where a player scored, assisted, and enganged in physical altercations on behalf of his team.
I dunno if it's true, but I heard Gordie Howe only actually got 1 "Gordie Howe hat trick". Brendan Shanahan is the all time leader. Maybe the Gordie Howe award can go to a tough guy who can also score. ex. Milan Lucic, Scott Hartnell or Iginla in his prime.

Old
09-02-2012, 11:43 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
I dunno if it's true, but I heard Gordie Howe only actually got 1 "Gordie Howe hat trick". Brendan Shanahan is the all time leader. Maybe the Gordie Howe award can go to a tough guy who can also score. ex. Milan Lucic, Scott Hartnell or Iginla in his prime.
I heard something similiar. Well it can be called the Shanahan award, it's all good. This way there is still some positive perspective towards fighting in the game.

Old
09-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Personally, I'd like to see a few more rewards for defensemen.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 09:44 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs View Post
How about the "Adam Oates" trophy for assists instead then.
This.

Quote:
Lucic and Hartnell don't belong near a Gordie Howe trophy. Howe dominated the game because he was big, strong, fast, skilled, and mean. Iginla is a good example of the same type of player, although obviously not at Howe's level. Howe only had a small number (one, three whatever it is) of "Gordie Howe hat tricks" because the altercations were usually called as roughing penalties if anything was called at all. I challenge you to go back through his game log and find all of the games where he had a G, A, and coincidental roughing minors or similar. I bet the number skyrockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Personally, I'd like to see a few more rewards for defensemen.
I'd like to see the following:

Best Offensive Defenseman (Orr)
Best Defensive Defenseman (Lidstrom)
Best Forward (Howe)

Having those "minor" defenseman awards would allow the Norris to be reclaimed for its rightful purpose; recognizing the BEST defenseman. The "Best Forward" award would do the same, but for the Hart. Voters wouldn't feel the urge to vote for forwards due to defensemen and goaltenders having their own trophies.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 08:02 AM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
This.

Lucic and Hartnell don't belong near a Gordie Howe trophy. Howe dominated the game because he was big, strong, fast, skilled, and mean. Iginla is a good example of the same type of player, although obviously not at Howe's level. Howe only had a small number (one, three whatever it is) of "Gordie Howe hat tricks" because the altercations were usually called as roughing penalties if anything was called at all. I challenge you to go back through his game log and find all of the games where he had a G, A, and coincidental roughing minors or similar. I bet the number skyrockets.

I'd like to see the following:

Best Offensive Defenseman (Orr)
Best Defensive Defenseman (Lidstrom)
Best Forward (Howe)

Having those "minor" defenseman awards would allow the Norris to be reclaimed for its rightful purpose; recognizing the BEST defenseman. The "Best Forward" award would do the same, but for the Hart. Voters wouldn't feel the urge to vote for forwards due to defensemen and goaltenders having their own trophies.

Lidstrom was more of a complete defenseman. Cmon, he scored over 50 points in a season 15 times.

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 02:51 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
I don't get why people want to get rid of trophies? Why can't we celebrate the best passer and the best goal scorer? Its not like we are saying lets give out an award for most time on ice.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 11:02 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Lidstrom was more of a complete defenseman. Cmon, he scored over 50 points in a season 15 times.
We can't rename the Norris. And if we could, we'd rename it the Kelly. It was donated by the Norris family in honor of James E. Norris (former owner of the Blackhawks and Red Wings) after his death, to be given to the best defenseman. The reason that this was the ultimate award is because of what Red Kelly did (and would continue to do) for the Wings from the blueline. History has not treated Kelly well; he was argued as the best defenseman ever during his playing days.

What would you suggest we name it, the Langway? Blech. A guy who was elite defensively for a couple years and then turned into more of a "complementary" defenseman. I want to name the award after him, sure. And no, it's not the "Stevens" because he was defensively average for more than half of his career. How about the Konstantinov? Great defensively, skilled, offensive skills that don't show up on the score sheet. See, now we have a problem though. Would Lidstrom or Konstantinov win the award at their best? Toughie. Especially with Vladdie's accident cutting his career short. We'll never know what he might have been. He might have won the next eight Norrises... Lidstrom could have ended up as the Brad Park or Mark Howe of the era. Really freaking good... but no Norris.

Old
09-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Thumper17

Actually, I dont see any trophies that should be taken away. Pasting straight from wiki here.

Hart Memorial Trophy 1924 Awarded to the league's most valuable player[12] Evgeni Malkin
Pittsburgh Penguins
Ladybyngtrophy.jpg Lady Byng Memorial Trophy 1925 Awarded to the player who exhibited outstanding sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability[13] Brian Campbell
Florida Panthers
Hhof vezina.jpg Vezina Trophy 1927 Awarded to the league's top goaltender[14] Henrik Lundqvist
New York Rangers
Hhof calder.jpg Calder Memorial Trophy 1937 Awarded to the league's most outstanding rookie player[15] Gabriel Landeskog
Colorado Avalanche
Artrosstrophy.jpg Art Ross Trophy 1948 Awarded to the player who leads the league in total points at the end of the regular season[16] Evgeni Malkin
Pittsburgh Penguins
Hhof norris.jpg James Norris Memorial Trophy 1954 Awarded to the defenseman who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position[17] Erik Karlsson
Ottawa Senators
Hhof connsmythe.jpg Conn Smythe Trophy 1965 Awarded to the most valuable player for his team in the playoffs[18] Jonathan Quick
Los Angeles Kings
Hhof masterton.jpg Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy 1968 Awarded to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey[19] Max Pacioretty
Montreal Canadiens
Hhof lester pearson.jpg Ted Lindsay Award 1971 Awarded to the NHL's outstanding player as selected by the members of the NHL Players Association[20] Evgeni Malkin
Pittsburgh Penguins
Hhof jack adams.jpg Jack Adams Award 1974 Awarded to the NHL coach adjudged to have contributed the most to his team's success[21] Ken Hitchcock
St. Louis Blues
Hhof selke.jpg Frank J. Selke Trophy 1978 Awarded to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game[22] Patrice Bergeron
Boston Bruins
Hhof jennings.jpg William M. Jennings Trophy 1982 Awarded to the goalkeeper(s) having played a minimum of 25 games for the team with the fewest goals scored against it in the regular season[23] Brian Elliott
Jaroslav Halak
St. Louis Blues
NHL Plus-Minus Award 1983 Awarded to the player with the highest plus/minus statistic in the regular season[24] Patrice Bergeron
Boston Bruins
Hhof clancy.jpg King Clancy Memorial Trophy 1988 Awarded to the player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy humanitarian contribution in his community[25] Daniel Alfredsson
Ottawa Senators
NHL Foundation Player Award 1998 Awarded to the player who applies the core values of hockey to enrich the lives of people in his community[26] Mike Fisher
Nashville Predators
Hhof maurice richard.jpg Maurice 'Rocket' Richard Trophy 1999 Awarded to the top goal scorer in the regular season[26] Steven Stamkos
Tampa Bay Lightning
Roger Crozier Saving Grace Award 2000 Awarded to the goaltender who has played a minimum of 25 games in the regular season and has the highest save percentage[27][28] Brian Elliott
St. Louis Blues
Mark Messier Leadership Award 2007 Awarded to the player who exemplifies great leadership qualities to his team, on and off the ice, during the regular season (Awarded by Mark Messier, himself)[29] Shane Doan
Phoenix Coyotes
NHL General Manager of the Year Award 2010 Awarded to the top National Hockey League General Manager[30] Doug Armstrong
St. Louis Blues

I think D-men need more love, and a trophy for assists would be nice. Otherwise I think the awards are pretty well covered.

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 07:47 PM
mapleleaf979

One day I could see the Art Ross being called the Wayne Gretzky trophy. I dont think anyone should ever wear #99.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2012, 08:41 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
One day I could see the Art Ross being called the Wayne Gretzky trophy. I dont think anyone should ever wear #99.
You, sir, are wrong on both counts.