HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Will there be a lockout this year?

View Poll Results: Lockout?
Yes 45 90.00%
No 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Gardiner Express
#TankNation

vCash: 500
Will there be a lockout this year?

Yes or No

Gardiner Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Its inevitable.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:01 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Yes.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:05 PM
DohBruins

I think you mean "Will the lockout cost the season?", because the players and owners arent meeting for another 2 weeks which will be the 14th a day before Bettman will lockout the players, and they won't get a deal done in one day, so yes there will be a lockout.

DohBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:12 PM
dan1el

The lockout is happening. Whether we're gonna lose the entire season or not has yet to be determined, but I don't think we will.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Bruv
Loveless

vCash: 50
I think it'll be delayed like how the NBA season was.

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

What made you think of this?!?!?

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

There will absolutely be a lockout. I don't think it will last too long though.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 08:54 PM
PayItForward

Yes. A better question would be how long will the lockout last?

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:32 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Inevitably there will be some sort of lockout, although my gut feeling is that it at least won't cause a whole season to be lost.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Fataldogg

Yes, the NHL is a joke. I feel like it is the only major sport that goes on strike every time there is a CBA negotiation. Strike in 94-95 that cost half the season, strike in 04-05 which cost the entire year, and a strike in 12-13 which will likely cost 1/3 of the season.

Honestly, I think it is sad. Most owners are worth in the hundreds of millions to billions. Most hockey players are making more in a SINGLE YEAR than the average American citizen will accumulate in their entire life. Most Americans won't make $2.5-3 million accumulated in their lifetime. Someone making $100k a year, which is a solid salary, would have to work 18 years to make what Brian Boyle makes in a SINGLE season.

Both sides need to get it together. Players especially (and I don't buy the argument "they sacrifice time with their family, have been training since five, it's a demanding job, they retire early and most don't do anything after 40"). Most adults sacrifice something in their career. Whether it is time (spending time in college, internships, trade school, apprenticing, etc.), time away from their family, long traveling hours, etc. They're playing a GAME and earn more in a year than most do in a lifetime.

And I feel that way about athletes from all major sports earning major salaries. I feel that way about actors and actresses too (before someone tries to call me out on that).

Just earn your millions, be happy, and play the game that you supposedly love. If the players loved the game, genuinely, they wouldn't be willing to hold up talks with the owners every 7-8 years and possibly cancel a season. I get it, it should be down the middle where everyone wins, but in the end they're doing the sport a disservice. The NHL will lose a ton of credibility and fan service with another lockout in such a short time period.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayItForward View Post
Yes. A better question would be how long will the lockout last?
Exactly what I was going to say.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
Definitely.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 11:43 PM
hockeyfreak7

I've been saying for some time that there wont be a lockout. There is no major ideological gap this year like there was in 2005. Both sides know that a lockout will be disastrous for the long term credibility of the league-- no side will admit it to the press because that will show weakness at the negotiating table.

Just wait at least a week, and you will see both sides make concessions very quickly to make a deal happen before September 15th. We only saw a full season lockout in 2005 because both sides felt that a lockout was acceptable over continuing on the path that the league was on. I firmly believe that neither side believes that to be true this time around.

This is all just part of negotiating. You're not going to hear optimistic remarks from Bettman or Fehr because that shows a willingness to back down. Both sides have their poker faces on at this point, but, inevitably, both sides will be making concessions. It's just a matter of getting the most out of the CBA as you possibly can for both sides.

I admit that it's possible that September 15th comes with no agreement, however I dont think either side has the resolve to lose any games this time around. It may not sound that way in the press conferences, but the reality is that there is no fundamental block standing in the way of a deal like there was last time.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 02:01 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I've been saying for some time that there wont be a lockout. There is no major ideological gap this year like there was in 2005. Both sides know that a lockout will be disastrous for the long term credibility of the league-- no side will admit it to the press because that will show weakness at the negotiating table.

Just wait at least a week, and you will see both sides make concessions very quickly to make a deal happen before September 15th. We only saw a full season lockout in 2005 because both sides felt that a lockout was acceptable over continuing on the path that the league was on. I firmly believe that neither side believes that to be true this time around.

This is all just part of negotiating. You're not going to hear optimistic remarks from Bettman or Fehr because that shows a willingness to back down. Both sides have their poker faces on at this point, but, inevitably, both sides will be making concessions. It's just a matter of getting the most out of the CBA as you possibly can for both sides.

I admit that it's possible that September 15th comes with no agreement, however I dont think either side has the resolve to lose any games this time around. It may not sound that way in the press conferences, but the reality is that there is no fundamental block standing in the way of a deal like there was last time.
If they actually get a deal done before the season opener I'll wear a Bettman avatar for a month.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 02:15 AM
Gardiner Express
#TankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
Yes, the NHL is a joke. I feel like it is the only major sport that goes on strike every time there is a CBA negotiation. Strike in 94-95 that cost half the season, strike in 04-05 which cost the entire year, and a strike in 12-13 which will likely cost 1/3 of the season.

Honestly, I think it is sad. Most owners are worth in the hundreds of millions to billions. Most hockey players are making more in a SINGLE YEAR than the average American citizen will accumulate in their entire life. Most Americans won't make $2.5-3 million accumulated in their lifetime. Someone making $100k a year, which is a solid salary, would have to work 18 years to make what Brian Boyle makes in a SINGLE season.

Both sides need to get it together. Players especially (and I don't buy the argument "they sacrifice time with their family, have been training since five, it's a demanding job, they retire early and most don't do anything after 40"). Most adults sacrifice something in their career. Whether it is time (spending time in college, internships, trade school, apprenticing, etc.), time away from their family, long traveling hours, etc. They're playing a GAME and earn more in a year than most do in a lifetime.

And I feel that way about athletes from all major sports earning major salaries. I feel that way about actors and actresses too (before someone tries to call me out on that).

Just earn your millions, be happy, and play the game that you supposedly love. If the players loved the game, genuinely, they wouldn't be willing to hold up talks with the owners every 7-8 years and possibly cancel a season. I get it, it should be down the middle where everyone wins, but in the end they're doing the sport a disservice. The NHL will lose a ton of credibility and fan service with another lockout in such a short time period.
Strongly agree with everything you said.

Gardiner Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 03:09 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Of course, the Rangers are a legit Cup contender this year, there has to be a lockout

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 11:19 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Yes

Will it cost us any games? That remains to be seen

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Hzzz

Yes

But I don't care. Now I can possibly see some big stars here in Finland.

Hzzz is offline   Reply With Quote