Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Watching the Flames on TV?

Old
09-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Xelstyle

vCash: 500
Watching the Flames on TV?

This forum is looking more like a fantasy/gaming league than a Flames section. Can't blame you since the offseason looks like it'll be getting longer.

Anyways, on the point:

Basically have just set up my Bell service (again) and really enjoying the new HD receivers/PVR. Only thing I'm concerned about long term is trying to watch the Flames when (and if) the season starts.
Current only the most basic package, getting Sportsnet in that bundle would require me to move up to the next step. Aside from doubling my bill every month to watch the oh-so-awesome productions of Sportsnet, what other options do I have? i.e. NHL Network, Center Ice

I believe it was NHL Network that would not show games if they were being shown on Sportsnet, but I haven't got a clue about how either of those two work in terms of content.

And unfortunately, the options of changing to Telus/Shaw aren't on the table.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:57 AM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

vCash: 879
If Bell allows you to buy the Center Ice package, get it. I live in the US, so Center Ice definitely helps me watch Flames games. Unfortunately, even if you have HD, it won't broadcast the games in HD. (the Flames games)

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:07 AM
tfong

I thought CI blacks out home games? It's only worth it I u watch more teams than just the flames IMO otherwise u just get the sports bundle.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Ace Rimmer
What a guy!

vCash: 24405
Where is your "chair and a desk" located physically in Canada?

If it's not in the "Sportsnet West area" (Alberta / Sask / Manitoba) then Centre Ice is an option. If you are, get whatever package that gives you Sportsnet West AND Sportsnet Flames, unless you can simply add those channels "A La Carte" or whatever. You might want to consider TSN2 as well, since they sometimes have shown games (that may have times overlap) on TSN2.

In Canada, there is no point whatsoever in getting the NHL Network. Aside from the crap programming, and the lack of HD, any game you might see is probably already being shown on TSN.

Ace Rimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Xelstyle

Thanks for the posts guys. I am within the Sportsnet area (Alberta) so it looks like the only choice is bumping my package to the next step.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:37 PM
MarkGio

This is a subject I'm also interested in. I pay a ridiculous sum of money for a cable package just for hockey games. I need CBC, TSN, Sportsnet, and Sportsnet Flames just to watch all 82 games. I've asked about the online thing now and it seems like a better option. Most T.V shows and movies can be watched online anyways, so why pay an arm and a leg to watch hockey?

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
This is a subject I'm also interested in. I pay a ridiculous sum of money for a cable package just for hockey games. I need CBC, TSN, Sportsnet, and Sportsnet Flames just to watch all 82 games. I've asked about the online thing now and it seems like a better option. Most T.V shows and movies can be watched online anyways, so why pay an arm and a leg to watch hockey?
It's only a matter of getting that kind of content and I'm not sure where you would get it. I've managed to enjoy the latter bit of last season on my tablet/smartphone from a cracked NHL streaming app for Verizon customers but if there were any easier options, would prefer that over less...legal means.

Old
09-05-2012, 03:15 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Yeah online seems like a better option if you are intent on not missing a single game.

I would just buy an HDMI cord (assuming you have an HDTV) and just run it from my Computer/Laptop to the TV. Youll hardly notice a difference except for maybe sound quality.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:25 PM
YMCMBYOLO
Flames Six Show ****

vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Yeah online seems like a better option if you are intent on not missing a single game.

I would just buy an HDMI cord (assuming you have an HDTV) and just run it from my Computer/Laptop to the TV. Youll hardly notice a difference except for maybe sound quality.
This. I've done it many times, and the only thing that is a little disgruntled is the sound. I do it for every Roughriders game.

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote