HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is Giroux the top athlete in Philly sports now ?

Old
08-28-2012, 02:46 PM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
Is Giroux the top athlete in Philly sports now ?

Sitting here up on the panhandle of west Florida waiting for the wind and rain and i was thinking to myself that Roo is probably the top dog right now in all of Philadelphia sports.I know there are other Philly Athletes like Vick, Hamels, etc that make more money and certainly play in front of larger crowds, but i think Roo is Philadelphia's # 1 top performing Athlete as of this point in time ? When was the last time a Flyer held this distinction ? ( if you agree its Roo ) .

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:49 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

sure, he's pretty good

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:50 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Sitting here up on the panhandle of west Florida waiting for the wind and rain and i was thinking to myself that Roo is probably the top dog right now in all of Philadelphia sports.I know there are other Philly Athletes like Vick, Hamels, etc that make more money and certainly play in front of larger crowds, but i think Roo is Philadelphia's # 1 top performing Athlete as of this point in time ? When was the last time a Flyer held this distinction ? ( if you agree its Roo ) .
I wish it was, but I don't think so.

Having grown up in the area, I've just moved back for the first time in 7 years. Granted, its the offseason, but football is still king, and as long as that's the case, I think it will be tough for a guy like Giroux to match Vick for attention.

EDIT: I think I misinterpreted the question.

In terms of production? Yeah, I think he is, and I don't think its close. But he still doesn't get the attention he deserves, relative to some of the other leading candidates.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:55 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Lesean McCoy has made himself into one of if not the best RB in football and Football always greater then hockey here

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:57 PM
ayshplaysh

As far as performance goes, yes he's definitely the best athlete in Philly goes, I mean he's a top 5 player in the entire league... nobody on any other Philly teams can say they are of that caliber, except maybe Lesean Mccoy.

ayshplaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 02:57 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post

Having grown up in the area, I've just moved back for the first time in 7 years. Granted, its the offseason, but football is still king, and as long as that's the case, I think it will be tough for a guy like Giroux to match Vick for attention.

In terms of production? Yeah, I think he is, and I don't think its close. But he still doesn't get the attention he deserves, relative to some of the other leading candidates.
I am not really looking at it from the "attention" angle because i know that the Eagles and Phillies certainly rule the Roost in Philly with the fans and media although the Flyers Stanley cup win drew a bigger parade than the Phillies [ 2 million people] for various reasons. [first Philadelphia championship in years for any sport].

I am just looking at it more from the point that Roo is probably more a superstar in his sport compared to players on other Philly sports teams ?

Last edited by SgtJoseph: 08-28-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old
08-28-2012, 03:01 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post

The O-line needs to do a better job of not letting Vick get hit, and Vick needs to use his legs a little more or he's going to be hurt again this season that being said, I think McCoy might be or even Babin be the biggest attention getting athlete in Philly maybe Howard good question couldn't really say who's top dog though, but my money is on a 1. Football player 2. MLB player 3. G and maybe NBA player

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:09 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
The O-line needs to do a better job of not letting Vick get hit, and Vick needs to use his legs a little more or he's going to be hurt again this season that being said, I think McCoy might be or even Babin be the biggest attention getting athlete in Philly maybe Howard good question couldn't really say who's top dog though, but my money is on a 1. Football player 2. MLB player 3. G and maybe NBA player
Watch Bynum this year--he should put up decent numbers, is probably the best C in the Eastern Conference, has some local(ish) roots in a city with a strong basketball tradition, etc.

As players, I think you can make a pretty good case for McCoy over Vick--actually, I don't think it is close. But watching / reading the coverage over the past few weeks--since I got back into town--I don't think LeSean has near the profile as Vick.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Clyde Donovan

Didn't he just win an award for Best Philly Athlete from the Philly media or something. I forget exactly what it was but I know he beat out guys from the other sports teams. Edit: Here it is. Beat out Bernard Hopkins and Mccoy.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-06-0...elchair-sports

Quote:
CLAUDE GIROUX became the face of the Flyers this year. By winning the 2012 John Wanamaker Athletic Award, he has become the embodiment of Philadelphia sports.

Giroux was selected from among 10 finalists for the award, a list that included LeSean McCoy, Bernard Hopkins and Hunter Pence. He had a career-high 93 points.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Really? Hopkins? I assume he wasn't in the top 3.

08-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Clyde Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Really? Hopkins? I assume he wasn't in the top 3.
Yea, was probably between Giroux and McCoy. Still suprising he won over an Eagle though. I think it says somewhere in the article he was the first Flyer to win the award in 32 years.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Certainly. McCoy is in the conversation though.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Really the question should be who is second? Giroux is one of the best over-all hockey players in the world. Right now looking at the other three major sports in town there is no one who can claim this. Key word is over-all. Not based on position alone. That's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I'd say since it seems Doc is no longer Doc it is between Mccoy and Giroux, with Hamels in the conversation.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Flyersfan139

I think so but I am kind of biased because hockey is my favorite sport.

McCoy is right up there with him though.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:09 PM
BrindamoursNose

Yes. My rank would probably be:

1. Giroux
2. Shady
3. DeSean
4. Hamels
5. Bynum

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2012, 08:20 PM
SgtJoseph

For those that agree it is Girioux, who was the last Flyer to hold that place as the # 1 athlete in Philly at a given time of their career in Philly ?

Old
08-28-2012, 09:08 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
For those that agree it is Girioux, who was the last Flyer to hold that place as the # 1 athlete in Philly at a given time of their career in Philly ?
I'd say Lindros. Phillies have dominated the past 5 years, eagles the 5-6 before that and Sixers a year or two before that.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 12:57 AM
zarley zelepukin

I think it's him or Lesean McCoy. And a healthy Jason Peters would be right there as well, if not at the top. As for the second part of the question, probably Lindros.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:17 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Andrew Bynum has certainly gotta be in the conversation.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 01:34 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I'd say Lindros. Phillies have dominated the past 5 years, eagles the 5-6 before that and Sixers a year or two before that.
Could be missing my timing here as a non-Philly fan, but didn't Iverson overlap a lot of Lindros' career. Before that Reggie White before leaving for Green Bay? I guess Lindros could have got the mid-90's but I think he had competition.

I would say Giroux is the biggest as an outsider. But I am generally going to side with the hockey player if it is close. Halladay, McCoy and Vick would be the others in the conversation. Bynum is hardly ever healthy and at this point could become a favorite target instead of beloved player if things don't turn out real well.

Probably have to go back to Parent or Bobby Clarke if it wasn't Lindros.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:02 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

In terms of talent? Maybe, he and Shady are neck and neck. In terms of coverage? No, it'll always be an Eagle unless someone like Howard, Rollins, or Utley are chasing an MVP.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 02:06 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Could be missing my timing here as a non-Philly fan, but didn't Iverson overlap a lot of Lindros' career. Before that Reggie White before leaving for Green Bay? I guess Lindros could have got the mid-90's but I think he had competition.

I would say Giroux is the biggest as an outsider. But I am generally going to side with the hockey player if it is close. Halladay, McCoy and Vick would be the others in the conversation. Bynum is hardly ever healthy and at this point could become a favorite target instead of beloved player if things don't turn out real well.

Probably have to go back to Parent or Bobby Clarke if it wasn't Lindros.
Reggie left after 93 I think, and Iverson wasn't really big til 98ish. Lindros had the town by the balls from 94-97, along with Ricky Watters and Curt Schilling...who both led awful franchises in a tailspin from glory years. I give Lindros the edge for leading a progressive team.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 05:10 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
For a few years it was the Big "E".

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2012, 09:42 AM
SilkyMitts

not even close. bynum is above him in popularity and he hasnt even played a game yet.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote