HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Any decent bags?

Old
08-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Skraut

vCash: 500
Any decent bags?

I know, asking for a recommendation on a bag seems quite silly to me too, but I've gone through 4 of them in 3 years. As the prices seem to keep climbing on them as well, I wanted to see if anyone actually had a bag that they liked before I shell out $70-$100 just to haul my gear around for a few months.

I'm a big guy, with big gear, and while I don't need anything Goalie sized, it seems I keep snapping zippers or having handles rip off. I kind of liked the wheeled bag I had until one of the wheels fell off, and then the shoulder strap couldn't handle the weight of it being carried all the time.

I'm not expecting the bag to last the rest of my life, but I would just like to not feel like I was ripped off as yet another bag rips after only a few months of use.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Hank4Hart

grit

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 12:20 PM
opivy
Sauce King

vCash: 966
Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
Get a bag that is mass produced for teams - they usually have 0 features, maybe side pockets and are made of really heavy nylon and really heavy zippers.

"Team Bag"

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/V...g/itm/5362-41/

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/P...g/itm/9241-41/

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/C...ag/itm/9006-2/

There are three different flavors of the same thing but they're all simple, no fancy crap, well rated, good zippers, sturdy materials.

It won't give you better hands or faster feet but it WILL carry your gear to and from and for a long time.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:21 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Wow really? Almost five years ago when I began getting hockey gear together to start playing I picked up the cheapest hockey bag available at sportcheck, a Sherwood for around $20, and I'm still using it.

Granted it's the rattiest thing ever, it's always sat on the balcony so it's faded all to hell, from a nice dark blue to a dull gray. Also one of my cats like sleeping on it, I get what I can off before a game but there's still always cat fluff (long hair) on it. The zippers themselves are still their but over the last two years the straps on them broke, making it a little harder to pull but still manageable. And it is covered in rips in tears, but not enough that things will fall out.

It is getting perhaps a little too beat up though so I was considering getting another soon. I was hoping to get the same type of deal I had before, but maybe I can't anymore so it's great timing on the above suggestions.

One thing I like about my current bag though, at the top end where the zipper curves around it has a plastic netting/mesh which helps things air out on their own. Maybe it's not what you'd want if you're storing your bag in a basement or a garage, but for an unused balcony it works just fine.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Most of my teammates who have expensive bags seem to have problems with them. I don't know why. My old GEAR bag from Hockey Giant lasted years, then I moved on to my Mission Backpack three years ago and not a stitch has come out.

I would second the recommendation for the giant bag where you throw everything in with no pockets. Find one made of polyvinyl or tarapin or whatever it's called, should be rugged enough to last years.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:09 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
Get a bag that is mass produced for teams - they usually have 0 features, maybe side pockets and are made of really heavy nylon and really heavy zippers.

"Team Bag"

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/V...g/itm/5362-41/

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/P...g/itm/9241-41/

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/C...ag/itm/9006-2/

There are three different flavors of the same thing but they're all simple, no fancy crap, well rated, good zippers, sturdy materials.

It won't give you better hands or faster feet but it WILL carry your gear to and from and for a long time.

those are three decent bags, although I did check out that bauer one and its not as big as the measurments say due to the main compartment isnt as big as the bag over all. I would say go with a big pro style bag without the bells and whistles. if you need somewhere to stash stuff, I just a couple of mesh laundry bags that I keep stuff in.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:25 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

I got a cheapie bag when I first bought my gear - it was part of a beginner package that included everything. It started ripping about 5 months later and the bottom seam just tore all the way about 2 weeks ago.

My friend picked up a used bag from the Coyotes for my birthday and it's great - not a bunch of features, just one inner pocket - but dang, the thing is room and sturdy!

I don't know if you can get them locally, but if you can - they are great.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 03:29 PM
OkimLom

Fan of my Reebok Backpack.

Able to fit all my gear(even the chest protector, which is on the bottom) and have a comfortable carry.

After I get done with ice I can switch over to Roller in a few seconds. Love the skate pockets with the mesh. When I'm tired I pull up the handle and pull the bag on its wheels...Very balanced.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
then I moved on to my Mission Backpack three years ago and not a stitch has come out.

I would second the recommendation for the giant bag where you throw everything in with no pockets. Find one made of polyvinyl or tarapin or whatever it's called, should be rugged enough to last years.
I used a big Mission bag for about 5 years with just minor cosmetic damage (scuffs and a small pull/tear here and there). It was the cheapest bag at play-it-again and it lasted incredibly well.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 09:50 PM
greyraven8

Got a bag from Flite - Flite (Pro) bag model 1086.
It's $40 + shipping on their site - don't remember if I got mine off their site or Ebay.

Haven't had it too long but so far looks to be a solid durable basic bag with good zippers.

http://www.flitehockey.com/shop/prod...e4fu8nn4jbjt80

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:12 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Don't get a easton bag.

**** easton.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 10:57 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

vCash: 50
3rd ing the Pro style bag.

I have awarrior Pro-bag and its fantastic. Still has pouches inside for skates and other loose gear but it is big and durable.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Stay away from the easton bags. I got a new one last month and the handle ripped off the first time I packed it. This is the second Easton bag I have had problems with.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:28 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Just bought an Easton bag at PlayItAgain for $40. Hope it's not as ****** as you all make them out to be

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 08:47 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Anyone have a old jofa bag they are willing to move?

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:36 AM
OpenIceHit42

Have had this one for awhile. Decent amount of space and seems sturdy so far.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-...irt-carry.html

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
I have had this bag for about 4 years now and it has been great. The best part about the pro style bags is they are easy to clean and disinfect which I do a few times a year.

http://www.eaglehockey.com/eagle-bag...layer-bag.html

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:59 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

I use a TITAN single zipper hockey bag that has been in my family for generations. As far as I can remember, it was used for clothes and travelling but I'm sure it was a hockey bag, even if not, it is now.

AmazedRink is offline   Reply With Quote