Notices

General OT Thread #21: Buying Out Drinks Like We're Mark Parrish

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2012, 03:06 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 500
Oh man... I have 2/3rds of the pressure released... I can almost hear completely normal right now, but I feel it's teetering on the edge of going back still as well... Not sure why it won't just clear!

Old
09-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'll be on pins and needles all day as I'm supposed to hear if I got the job or not. I think it was down to three of us.

If I get it, my pay could jump up by 20-25%, I'd be a few miles of side streets from my new house, save a ton in health care benefits, they'd pay for my MBA and other training and certifications, I'd actually have a boss that would give me goals and structure, and I'd be eligible for a 10% bonus each year.

Also I wouldn't be able to check out HFBoards during the day.

Old
09-07-2012, 08:59 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

So yesterday I find out I'll be teaching kids how to stand on skates all year...

While one of the guys who coached the same level I did is coaching my cousin in high level hockey...

I get the ****** team cause of politics... This guy knows someone... And I have to get someone to stick the neck out for me just to get a team...

My organization complains about not having enough volunteers... But they chose to ignore the fact the the volunteers they do get abuse their power..

Old
09-07-2012, 11:27 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'll be on pins and needles all day as I'm supposed to hear if I got the job or not. I think it was down to three of us.

If I get it, my pay could jump up by 20-25%, I'd be a few miles of side streets from my new house, save a ton in health care benefits, they'd pay for my MBA and other training and certifications, I'd actually have a boss that would give me goals and structure, and I'd be eligible for a 10% bonus each year.

Also I wouldn't be able to check out HFBoards during the day.
good luck in getting the job, sounds like a golden opportunity for you.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

AHHHHH I just want to hear about this job / go look at some putters / hit the driving range / play a short 9. Instead I have to go to a birthday party. I'm taking a personal day tomorrow.

Old
09-07-2012, 11:49 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
AHHHHH I just want to hear about this job / go look at some putters / hit the driving range / play a short 9. Instead I have to go to a birthday party. I'm taking a personal day tomorrow.
Welp, at least you don't have 4 weddings in the next 5 weekends to look forward to. ****.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
09-07-2012, 11:56 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Welp, at least you don't have 4 weddings in the next 5 weekends to look forward to. ****.
That sounds brutal...

Old
09-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
I have two or three lined up in the next month. Just was informed I get to go to one in St Cloud AND get to find a sitter.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:06 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
On the plus side, open bar and you don't have to feel like crap about where you are in your life because you're already married. On the down side, that's a lot of money and there's nothing wrong with hooking up with hot, single girls at a wedding.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
09-07-2012, 12:30 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

You forgot wedding food as a negative (I hate ALL wedding/mass produced food). Also; lame conversations, not knowing who the hell that person is, basement DJ/wedding singers, too many people crammed into one place, general awkwardness of everything, etc...

Drinking can only make up for so much.

Old
09-07-2012, 12:40 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

No, drinking usually makes up for those but I'm also so superficial where those situations are great.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:03 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
lol i've already been to over a dozen weddings this summer. hey, the food isn't always bad even if it is mass produced (as it has to be for a wedding). one i went to they flew in the executive chef of some famous italian restaurant in chicago. spago? spiaggio? i'm sure he didn't prepare every meal but that plate was better than pretty much anything i've paid $50 for recently. i don't think he was that cheap per plate but it was very, very good.

only wedding DJs i like are the ones who are fully aware and appreciate how inane their job is.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

My own wedding is coming up in November, and I'm just happy that we can afford the mass produced food, booze, and the DJ at this point.

Old
09-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I got about two months into wedding planning with the ex before she lost interest in it/me. It was expensive AND her relatives had catering and wedding cake businesses.

No clue what my gal wants to do. She's picky but got simple tastes. I'm thinking we throw up some tents at a relatives' outdoorsy place, rent a PA system, I'll spring for the food and a couple kegs, and it's BYOB from there on out. Sorry, I'm cheap and ain't going to do a princess ball.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
From a college kid's perspective... Y'all be grateful for free food and booze.

Old
09-07-2012, 02:40 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

most djs now just bring the laptop and are connected to an itunes account or a web library anyway. you're just as well off renting the PA, lights and speakers unless you want one of those happily babbling types who call for the chicken dance or whatever. just put someone in charge of it so you don't have to **** with it.

Old
09-07-2012, 03:13 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Every wedding I've been has been fun. Food's great, booze's cool. I don't know if I'm surrounded by master chefs 'cos the food has been superb in every wedding, not mass produced like at all. Maybe we put more effort in cooking at weddings for Finland? The food plays a big part in the ceremony, atleast in my opinion.

Old
09-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

In America we tend to eat high quantities of low quality food.

Girlfriend asked what kind of beer I want. Boy I'd like to just go straight to the hard stuff. So wiped out from this week.

No news on the job. Don't think that's a good thing at this point...likely they extended an offer to someone else and they are mulling it over.

Old
09-07-2012, 05:21 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

you need to stay away from vfw or holiday inn weddings...most of the stuff i've had lately is pretty darn good. caterers are all trying to out-do one another. had a great sea bass with some sort of apricot-chili glaze on it. that one was great. then there was my cousins where there was nothing but overcooked chicken, ****** mac 'n cheese, and really really hard rolls. and a wilted salad. horrible.

then there was another one that had mac 'n cheese but it was made with truffle oil and three kinds of cheeses (went with a nice steak). mmmm.

Old
09-07-2012, 06:23 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Getting married sounds like a pain in the ass..

Old
09-07-2012, 06:38 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

elope then have a party afterward. seriously--everyone i know who has done it wouldn't change a thing. cheaper, less stress. only thing you'll have to put up with is the mother of the bride wanting to see her girl walk down the aisle.

Old
09-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's pretty much what I'd prefer.

Old
09-07-2012, 07:21 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

My Friend's sister had her reception in the MPLS city hall, and it was a very well done reception. The food was actually really good and the setting was unique.

Also never go to a Baptist wedding. My god those suck. No drinking and no dancing. Whats the point of having a reception?

Old
09-07-2012, 07:47 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
elope then have a party afterward. seriously--everyone i know who has done it wouldn't change a thing. cheaper, less stress. only thing you'll have to put up with is the mother of the bride wanting to see her girl walk down the aisle.
We got married in Maui, just paid for immediate family (i.e. parents, brothers/sisters and their partners if they had one). They went back after 4 days and we stayed for a two weeks making it our honeymoon as well. It was a lot more fun than I can imagine having a tradition wedding would be. Then we just had a large reception at my brother in-law's as he's got a big place.

Makes you feel like all that money was "better" spent...

As far as the food that I mentioned before, I will admit I'm extremely picky.

Old
09-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Adult parties are way more awkward than teenage parties.

Closed Thread