HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Michigan Sports Talk Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2012, 07:08 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Taking 2 in New York without JV pitching? This tigers has got something good going. Peralta and Delmon are heating up and the pitching has been lights out.

And anyone notice how Delmas is back and the lions get their first 2 picks of the year? That guy does wonders for that defense, that was a gritty game for the defense they played great. Fairley came up huge on that sack in OT. The NFC North isnt setting the world on fire, you guys should give it time yet before writing this season off yet
The Vikings did lose today, but I have been very surprised by both Minnesota's and Chicago's starts to the season.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Shoalzie
It's Not Complicated

vCash: 500
It was a bad call but in the end, it only allowed them to score insurance runs...not the winning run.

In Justin We Trust...nothing would make me happier than for this series not to make it back to the Bronx.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:13 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
It was a bad call but in the end, it only allowed them to score insurance runs...not the winning run.

In Justin We Trust...nothing would make me happier than for this series not to make it back to the Bronx.
If this series makes it back to the Bronx..........something has gone terribly wrong.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:38 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 50
I was literally yelling at the TV that they needed to leave Coke in the game until he got into trouble. Dude's getting guys out, leave him the hell alone!

I have a feeling it's going to be like this the rest of the way ... getcha Maalox ready!

Old
10-14-2012, 08:44 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I was literally yelling at the TV that they needed to leave Coke in the game until he got into trouble. Dude's getting guys out, leave him the hell alone!

I have a feeling it's going to be like this the rest of the way ... getcha Maalox ready!
Hopefully the Tigers offense explodes and they score 10 runs a game so we dont have to die of a heart attack every night.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:57 PM
newfy

Quote:

Whats even worse is that I was actually happier to see Coke stay for the 9th then see Benoit or Valverde out there. Cant wait for that bums 9 million to go somewhere useful and for Rondon to be ready

Old
10-14-2012, 11:30 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Hopefully the Tigers offense explodes and they score 10 runs a game so we dont have to die of a heart attack every night.
I don't think it's going to happen. They are what they are, and they'll go as far as the arms will take them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Whats even worse is that I was actually happier to see Coke stay for the 9th then see Benoit or Valverde out there. Cant wait for that bums 9 million to go somewhere useful and for Rondon to be ready
I think it's kind of funny when Lynn Henning and others talk about Rondon as though he's just biding his time in the minors until it's time for him to come up and be Mariano Rivera. Dude's what, 20 years old? Has a handful of innings above A ball? We're a looooooong way from seeing if he's even a viable MLB reliever, much less a lockdown 40 save man for the next 10 years. And then there's the injury angle to consider - he's been fine so far to my knowledge, but late inning fireballers almost always have arm problems sooner or later.

Let's not pin all our bullpen hopes on Rondon. It'd be great if he pans out, but we're not there yet.

As far as Coke, I was hoping they'd leave him in just because he was getting guys out and the Yankees weren't getting good swings on him. Anybody that can come in and do that, for god's sake, leave him in the game. Even if it's Coke vs a righty.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
It's not that the Tigers are what they are, it's what the playoffs does to the teams. You can't expect even a great lineup to score 6-10 runs every night - you need to be able to win 3-0 or 1-0. The Tigers seem to have the ability to do that.

Old
10-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
I am completely fine with the closer by committee approach the rest of the way. Coke versus lefties, and Benoit versus righties. Do it, Leyland.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:09 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Probert Owns You View Post
I am completely fine with the closer by committee approach the rest of the way. Coke versus lefties, and Benoit versus righties. Do it, Leyland.
Benoit scares me more than anyone not named Valverde right now. HR prone and even his outs are getting hit hard. You don't want a guy suseptable to HRs holding a tight lead for you.

Coke vs lefties seems to be fine, and thankfully NY has a lineup full of them, but I wouldn't be comfortable with him against a lot of righties. Albuquerque is inexperienced, but he's got the best stuff out of the pen as long as he's got command.

Smyly is another option vs lefties and Dotel would seem like the logical choice to be put in the 9th.. But leyland will probably go with Benoit.. Who will proceed to give up a jack at the wrong time which no one should be surprised about. Just like how nobody should have been surprised about what happened in the 9th Saturday night. It still boggles my mind how he could have possibly left him out there for 4 runs. Terrible decision that has been largely covered up because of the W.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:51 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Tickets are ridiculously expensive. I am having a hard time hitting "purchase tickets", but i really, really want to see JV pitch.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:16 PM
sarcastro

Yeah I wouldn't put Benoit in there unless I had Dotel and/or Wrong Turn already warmed up and had a VERY short leash for Benoit. He has not been throwing well.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:39 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Quote:
Tickets are ridiculously expensive. I am having a hard time hitting "purchase tickets", but i really, really want to see JV pitch.
I'm pretty sure they'll show him on tv during the game. It's how I plan to see him pitch.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:11 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Did you guys read the story where A-Fraud was hitting on some girls after he got benched during game two? He threw them a ball saying to write their number on the ball and throw it back.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...-game/1636911/

Gotta feel good about this. He is mentally checking out. Hopefully it translates into a 3-0 Tigers lead.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Shoalzie
It's Not Complicated

I've been sick of these close games...I'm smelling a repeat of Game 5. I can just remember the beating the Tigers put on the Yanks back in '06 at Comerica where the crowd absolutely nuts and they couldn't hit worth squat.

To me, this is their last stand...either they get their bats going and beat the ace of aces tonight or go down 3-0 and you can basically toetag their season.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:28 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Well, the Tigers' history in games you attend is well-documented...

Hughes is out in the 4th after Elmon hits one that scrapes over the left field wall. Seemed like some kind of shoulder thing maybe. Phelps is in.

Does anyone hit more "holy F that thing only cleared the fence by 4 inches" home runs than Elmon???

Old
10-16-2012, 08:33 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
I've been sick of these close games...I'm smelling a repeat of Game 5. I can just remember the beating the Tigers put on the Yanks back in '06 at Comerica where the crowd absolutely nuts and they couldn't hit worth squat.

To me, this is their last stand...either they get their bats going and beat the ace of aces tonight or go down 3-0 and you can basically toetag their season.
If the Yankees take this game then I actually think they are better than 50/50 to win the series. It would be a crushing blow to the Tigers to drop a home game with Verlander on the mound, and it would mean that the Yankee bats had woken up.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:02 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Tigers should be up by more than two..

Old
10-16-2012, 09:30 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

If the Tigers lose this they will forever regret it, the Yankees are in a pitching scenario where you could blow them out but the Tigers can't line them up to finish them off. This game is way too close.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:31 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Tigers should be up by more than two..
It's easy to forget that the Tigers are not exactly raking either, they've just been scratching a few runs across and getting just enough.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:31 PM
sarcastro

Also, yet another run lost by ****** Gene Lamont.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:32 PM
sarcastro

Didn't catch that, Cano was 5 feet from the bag on the double play. Wonder if Joe Girardi will cry about replay on that one...

Old
10-16-2012, 09:34 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
It's easy to forget that the Tigers are not exactly raking either, they've just been scratching a few runs across and getting just enough.
Well yeah, you look at the Cabrera, Fielder, Young power combo and you'd think we'd be doing a lot more damage against the depths of a team's bullpen.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:45 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Didn't catch that, Cano was 5 feet from the bag on the double play. Wonder if Joe Girardi will cry about replay on that one...
Thought the same thing.

You have to think about how scary this team will be when Fielder and Cabrera really wake up, neither is having a great post-season at least by their lofty standards.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:50 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Thought the same thing.

You have to think about how scary this team will be when Fielder and Cabrera really wake up, neither is having a great post-season at least by their lofty standards.
Fielder is a massive disappointment to me these playoffs. He's hitting .200 with just one multi-base hit (a HR). The only reason his failure hasn't been a story is that the Tigers so far have kept winning..

Closed Thread