HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michigan Sports Talk Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 08:33 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

vCash: 500
Man I hope we can keep JV and Miggy. I would rather have Prince than Hamilton just because trading Prince would hurt the chances of us losing Miggy (which I don't see happening).

Old
10-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Beck's blog running down DD's end of year comments. The short of it is that he really like Bruce Rondon. Sounds like the guy is definitely in the pen next year, and quite possibly closing games for us. I think we have enough arms to make a closer by committee thing work for us, and it'll be nice not blowing millions of dollars on a guy to just get three outs.

Also, sounds like Dirks is looking at a platoon gig with someone (Hairston? Gomes?).

10-31-2012, 01:03 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Man, I keep reading heavy Rondon talk. Thinking I should snatch him up late in my dynasty league. Sounds like he's the Tigers' #2 prospect at this point.

Old
10-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Shoalzie

If Rondon is ready...you stay out of the free agent market. Soriano or Madson would be my top favorite choices in free agency if they had to go that route. My choice target would be Soria with Kansas City (I believe he's still under contract though) but I don't know if you want to trade within division to help them out.

Besides a closer...I'd like to see them get a veteran righthanded corner outfielder and a second lefty out of the bullpen. I'd be very happy if they can keep Sanchez and essentially go with the same rotation next year...perhaps Smyly can overtake Porcello and give them a lefty starter. As far as backup catchup...Laird is adequate. With Infante, they don't need to chase that position this winter for once.

My ideal 25-man roster for 2013:
C: Avila/Laird
1B: Fielder
2B: Infante/Worth
SS: Peralta/Santiago
3B: Cabrera
OF: Berry/Dirks/Jackson/(FA Righty or Garcia)
DH: Martinez

SP: Verlander/Fister/Scherzer/(any two of Sanchez, Porcello or Smyly)
RP: Coke/FA Lefty/Villarreal/Alburquerque/Dotel/Benoit (2 LHP/4 RHP)
Closer: Rondon or FA/Soria

I wouldn't push it with Castellanos just yet. I'd almost want to see him play a full year in the outfield and see if he can be the starting LF by 2014. Maybe he gets some AB with the big club in September. Garcia might be an option to play quite a bit this year but I'd rather see a proven vet signed to play on most nights. Dirks plays most nights at either LF or RF with Berry getting chances to play every so often and he can be a pinch runner/defensive sub in games where they're trying to preserve the lead.

Old
10-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Somewhere, sarcastro is beaming.

Old
10-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Shoalzie

Yeah, figured Kelly was dunzo...

A ray of hope for me (pro-Soria)...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Also, Soriano will go to free agency as well.

Old
10-31-2012, 05:49 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Yeah, figured Kelly was dunzo...

A ray of hope for me (pro-Soria)...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Also, Soriano will go to free agency as well.

Sounds like very questionable damaged goods there. Probably worth the shot, but without him being able to pitch until June/July it would surprise me if they pursue him heavily.

Old
10-31-2012, 08:48 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddington View Post
I'd love to believe he's gone, but you know he's not going to find a job anywhere else and he'll end up back in Toledo. And then somehow they'll find some justification to get him back on the roster. We'll never be rid of him...

Quote:
If Rondon is ready...you stay out of the free agent market. Soriano or Madson would be my top favorite choices in free agency if they had to go that route. My choice target would be Soria with Kansas City (I believe he's still under contract though) but I don't know if you want to trade within division to help them out.

Besides a closer...I'd like to see them get a veteran righthanded corner outfielder and a second lefty out of the bullpen. I'd be very happy if they can keep Sanchez and essentially go with the same rotation next year...perhaps Smyly can overtake Porcello and give them a lefty starter. As far as backup catchup...Laird is adequate. With Infante, they don't need to chase that position this winter for once.

My ideal 25-man roster for 2013:
C: Avila/Laird
1B: Fielder
2B: Infante/Worth
SS: Peralta/Santiago
3B: Cabrera
OF: Berry/Dirks/Jackson/(FA Righty or Garcia)
DH: Martinez

SP: Verlander/Fister/Scherzer/(any two of Sanchez, Porcello or Smyly)
RP: Coke/FA Lefty/Villarreal/Alburquerque/Dotel/Benoit (2 LHP/4 RHP)
Closer: Rondon or FA/Soria

I wouldn't push it with Castellanos just yet. I'd almost want to see him play a full year in the outfield and see if he can be the starting LF by 2014. Maybe he gets some AB with the big club in September. Garcia might be an option to play quite a bit this year but I'd rather see a proven vet signed to play on most nights. Dirks plays most nights at either LF or RF with Berry getting chances to play every so often and he can be a pinch runner/defensive sub in games where they're trying to preserve the lead.
Problem with the closer scenario is that you won't know if Rondon is ready until March at the earliest, and even if he wins the job in camp you want to have multiple options there in case he falls apart later.

IMO they need to add as many bullpen arms as they can this winter. I'd prefer lots of guys on low-base, high-incentive deals. Soria, Madson, etc. I wouldn't mind if they added Broxton, because he can set up or close and he has a great arm. I'd feel a lot better about a bullpen that goes Villareal-Dotel-Coke-WrongTurn-Benoit-Rondon-Broxton. That group has at least three and as many as six legit closer-type guys. Not sure what the price tag would be on Broxton though, or if he's going to hold out for a guaranteed closing gig.

The fact that they called up Garcia and Castellanos tells me that they aren't planning on giving him a legit shot at an MLB job in camp just yet. Garcia maybe, but I have a feeling they both open next year in Toledo and play every day at the corner OF spots until someone on the big club gets hurt.

Leyland said today that one reason they're not bringing back Elmon is because with VMart coming back, you need bench players that can run for him in the late innings. That suggests to me that they're going to consider keeping Berry around, but if they do they need to make sure he's on the bench and not starting much, if at all. His value is in the late innings on the bases, not at the plate.

As I've said, I don't think there is an OF bat that makes much sense for this team on the market. Maybe Hunter, but I'm wary of signing very expensive players in their late 30s, and he's reportedly going to get $10 mil a year at least.

Reportedly Laird wants to go find more playing time and they're going to go with Holaday as the backup. This makes no sense to me. He played 63 games and got 191 plate appearances. I really don't think he's going to top that anywhere else, and Avila has chronic tendinitis of the everything. His best chance at more playing time is in Detroit. Then again, he's not likely to hit as well as he did last year, so maybe they're better off letting him walk. His Caught Stealing rate is also down to 19%, so his arm might be going as well.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Shoalzie

My free agent shopping list for Dombrowski:

1. Closer: If Rondon isn't ready for this job, shop for a shorter-term veteran option.

Preferred Targets: Mike Adams, Rafael Betancourt, Jonathan Broxton, Matt Capps, Ryan Madson, Brett Myers, Joakim Soria, Rafael Soriano, Koji Uehara

2. Anibal Sanchez: Attempt to keep him for the right price. Porcello and Smyly would compete for the 5th spot but if Sanchez doesn't return, both would be in the rotation.

3. Right-handed Hitting Corner OF: An adequate hitting/defensive corner outfielder that can play 100+ games and hit in the bottom third of the order. A veteran presence in the outfield that keeps a spot warm for Garcia/Castellanos.

Preferred Targets: Scott Hairston, Torii Hunter, Reed Johnson, Ryan Ludwick, Angel Pagan (S), Juan Rivera, Cody Ross, Nick Swisher (S)

4. Right-handed Hitting Backup Catcher: A veteran that can spell Avila against left-handed starters.

Preferred Targets: Rod Barajas, Gerald Laird, Miguel Olivo, Kelly Shoppach, Yorvit Torreabla

5. Situational Lefty Reliever: A second lefty out of the bullpen that can either pitch an inning of relief or can come in to retire a left-handed hitter.

Preferred Targets: Jeremy Affeldt, Sean Burnett, Randy Choate, J.P. Howell

Old
11-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Shoalzie

Justin Upton rumor...Castellanos, Garcia and Smyly are being mentioned. It doesn't sound like they'd give up all 3 for just Upton...another guy would be involved (maybe a pitcher?)

http://www.freep.com/article/2012110...ws|text|Sports

I don't know how much more of the minor league system you want to wipe out in order to add another piece. Imagine for the next two years...Jackson-Upton-Cabrera-Fielder-Martinez as your first 5 hitters. I think they're #1 priority is to get a reliable closer and make a push to keep Sanchez. An outfielder is a need but you may have Garcia and/or Castellanos as options as soon as next year. Can't they just get a short term option in free agency like a Hunter or Ludwick or Ross? I'd be very nervous about this deal unless that other piece was a quality pitcher that can replace Sanchez (maybe Kennedy or Hudson?).

Old
11-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Winger98
powers combined

I don't think Garcia or Castellanos are options for next year. Both need to refine their games more, and need a lot of at-bats to do it. I think we're looking at them both starting in the minors next year, maybe working their way into call-ups later on. Corner outfielders are a big time priority.

That said, not sure I see us moving the pieces required in an Upton deal. Granted, he's under control for three more years at reasonable rates, but we're also looking at re-upping Verlander and Cabrera in the near future while continuing to give raises to Fister, Scherzer, Avila, etc. The payroll is going to balloon fast or we're going to be looking at moving someone.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Shoalzie

To clarify...next year meant 2014, this coming year would be 2013.

The rumor I heard yesterday with Upton was Texas possibly moving a guy like Andrus so they can make room for Profar. The Tigers definitely don't have every day players on that level that they'd be willing to move.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Jim Bowden says the Tigers are the front-runners to sign Hunter.

Old
11-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Shoalzie

Yeah, saw that on Freep.com...that's a better idea than nuking the farm system to get Justin Upton. Yeah, he's 37 but hit over .300 and drove in over 90 runs and still very reliable with the glove. Sign him for 2 years...you'll have him for as long as V-Mart will still be around. He would be great in the 6th spot.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Yeah, saw that on Freep.com...that's a better idea than nuking the farm system to get Justin Upton. Yeah, he's 37 but hit over .300 and drove in over 90 runs and still very reliable with the glove. Sign him for 2 years...you'll have him for as long as V-Mart will still be around. He would be great in the 6th spot.
Yeah, not a huge fan of dealing for Upton, either. With Hunter, Pagan, and Victoriano out there for just cash, go grab one of them instead.

I'm betting we grab a corner outfielder, we wait out the market for a closer looking to sign a one year deal (with maybe a club option at a higher value added on), and we need a catcher. If Ilitch is really willing to overspend, Mike Napoli would be a helluva backup catcher.

Old
11-12-2012, 05:45 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Yeah, not a huge fan of dealing for Upton, either. With Hunter, Pagan, and Victoriano out there for just cash, go grab one of them instead.

I'm betting we grab a corner outfielder, we wait out the market for a closer looking to sign a one year deal (with maybe a club option at a higher value added on), and we need a catcher. If Ilitch is really willing to overspend, Mike Napoli would be a helluva backup catcher.
Victoriano fits better for the 2 hole and manufacturing runs. The one downside to Hunter is it doesn't address that situation.

Old
11-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Victoriano fits better for the 2 hole and manufacturing runs. The one downside to Hunter is it doesn't address that situation.
I still like the idea of moving Avila into the second spot. His average and power dipped last year, but he still managed to get on base at a good clip, and he worked counts. Then we can put Hunter, Dirks,Peralta & Infante at 6-9.

Old
11-12-2012, 07:24 PM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Hunter certainlyly addresses the 2-hole situation. If he signs with Detroit, and his bat doesn't fall off, he'll be the #2 guy. He puts up a good OBP and is good on the base paths. I like Avila, and he can be a good hitter, but he's not as good as Hunter, and he's better off toward the back of the lineup. Signing Hunter to a 2-year deal would be great. The perfect cushion, as we potentially work Garcia and Castellanos in over the next few years.

Old
11-12-2012, 08:16 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

If we sign Hunter, he is going to bat #2.

Old
11-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Shoalzie

I was picturing Infante hitting second but Hunter would be another possibility. Both hit well against lefties but Hunter had a +.300 average against righties. I think in most cases, it would make sense to have him second and maybe against lefties, you move up Infante and put Hunter behind V-Mart.

I think Leyland will go lineups based on the starter...Jackson leads off, Cabrera/Fielder/Martinez is the 3-4-5 regardless...but the #2 spot will and the bottom 4 spots will vary based on matchups.

vs. LHP
1. Jackson CF
2. Infante 2B
3. Cabrera 3B
4. Fielder 1B
5. Martinez DH
6. Hunter RF
7. Peralta SS
8. Dirks LF (Garcia?)
9. (RH Catcher)

vs. RHP
1. Jackson CF
2. Hunter RF
3. Cabrera 3B
4. Fielder 1B
5. Martinez DH
6. Peralta SS
7. Dirks LF
8. Avila C
9. Infante 2B

I'd hit Infante 9th using the wraparound theory...get him on in front of Jackson when lineup resets.

Old
11-13-2012, 11:25 AM
jaster
I pay off the mods.

Hunter should be batting 2nd against righties, and also against lefties. He's a superior hitter to Infante against lefties, and in general. He shouldn't be treated like Quinton Berry, and I doubt he will be. If Hunter is signed, you have....

Jackson
Hunter
Cabrera
Fielder
VMart

....just about set in stone as your top-5 in all situations. Leyland may tinker a little, because he's a tinkering kinda guy (usually to the Tigers detriment), but none of those 5 should be in a lefty-righty rotation.

But Hunter's not even signed, and even though it's been reported that the Tigers are the front-runners, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Shoalzie

Seems like too good of a fit for it not to happen...his son is going to play football at Notre Dame. A midwest team makes sense and the Tigers have a need for a veteran righthanded outfielder...he can hit in that #2 spot and he's a positive influence in the clubhouse. I can imagine he can be a great mentor on the younger outfielders on the team. Mike Trout gave Hunter some credit after winning the ROY yesterday.

He's here to visit with the club...make it happen, Dombo!

Old
11-13-2012, 10:18 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
I saw other teams thinking about throwing lots of top prospects at Upton. Didn't realize the Tigers were in on that at all - terrible idea. He's getting expensive and he's extremely inconsistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I'd be worried about giving $10m+/yr for 4 or 5 years to a guy that depends on speed and is coming off:

career-low batting average
career-low slugging %
career-low on-base %
career-low OPS (duh)
career-low OPS+
fewest RBIs since 2007
fewest runs since rookie year in 2006
fewest XBH since 2007
career-high strikeouts
declining defensive statistics

I like the Hunter idea a lot better. Shorter term, leadership guy, righthanded bat, good outfield defender, good on-base %, has some pop, can still run pretty well and at least won't embarrass himself on the bases even if he's not stealing many bases. Very good career playoff numbers. 29 outfield assists in RF the last 2 years (!) would make up for quite a few missed grounders past that soft infield defense.

Could possibly get him for 2/$16m, maybe a bit more, and then they'd have him and V-Mart coming off the books when JV and Miggy are coming up for new contracts. Wouldn't cost them their 1st round pick, which is becoming more and more of an issue since they haven't had their own 1st rounder since 2009 and the pipeline is in desperate need of replenishing at the top end.

Wouldn't cost them $170 million like Josh Hamilton.

As far as the #2 spot in the lineup, Hunter could be a good fit there and if not, Infante is solid in that slot and Hunter would give them a lot of punch through the back half of the lineup.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Hunter agrees to two-year deal with the Tigers, pending a physical. Great news.

Old
11-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricelund View Post
Hunter agrees to two-year deal with the Tigers, pending a physical. Great news.
2/$26M

Tigers definitely willing to invest for another run.

Closed Thread