HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How good will my skating have to be for my "Beginner Learn to Play" Class?

Old
09-03-2012, 12:31 AM
xX Hot Fuss

vCash: 500
How good will my skating have to be for my "Beginner Learn to Play" Class?

Not sure if you remember or not, but i'm the guy who is in Chris Chelios' "Learn to Play" class that starts up Thursday night. School started a few weeks ago and i havn't been able to get to the public skates like i wanted to.

-I can skate backwards very comfortably
-I can do forwards crossovers pretty well
-I can do backwards crossovers...kind of...i was told that i dont need to pick my foot up when i cross it over my other foot (not sure if that's right or not)
-I can do a hockey stop but only with my left foot leading, cant do it with the right

-I tried stopping going full speed for the first time last week and it resulted in my worst fall i've ever had. Went feet first into the boards (hard) and hit my head on the ice (not very hard)
-I can kind of do transitions but my skates scrape a lot (not sure if they're supposed to) and also havn't tried those full speed yet

I think its pretty safe to say that i'm nervous about this class because i have no idea what to expect. It is a Beginner class but what does that even mean? What can i expect on Night 1?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by xX Hot Fuss: 09-03-2012 at 12:55 AM.
xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Probably work on c-cuts, inside and outside edges, strides, a little bit of backwards skating.

Most instructors will ease you in, there's nothing to worry about. As long as you're in your gear, you're good to go.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 01:30 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Not sure if you remember or not, but i'm the guy who is in Chris Chelios' "Learn to Play" class that starts up Thursday night. School started a few weeks ago and i havn't been able to get to the public skates like i wanted to.

-I can skate backwards very comfortably
-I can do forwards crossovers pretty well
-I can do backwards crossovers...kind of...i was told that i dont need to pick my foot up when i cross it over my other foot (not sure if that's right or not)
-I can do a hockey stop but only with my left foot leading, cant do it with the right

-I tried stopping going full speed for the first time last week and it resulted in my worst fall i've ever had. Went feet first into the boards (hard) and hit my head on the ice (not very hard)
-I can kind of do transitions but my skates scrape a lot (not sure if they're supposed to) and also havn't tried those full speed yet

I think its pretty safe to say that i'm nervous about this class because i have no idea what to expect. It is a Beginner class but what does that even mean? What can i expect on Night 1?

Thanks in advance
I'm 7 weeks into my beginners hockey class so i recently felt exactly as you do (With a similar starting skill set, stopping on the left side but not the right, etc..) What i noticed about the class is that there is a HUGE variance in skill. There are some who have never really skated before, and a couple of really skilled guys who want the ice time and to work on the fundamentals. I found myself feeling like i was in the upper middle.

As for each class, mine was heavily (almost completely) skating oriented until about the 5th class. The first day we worked on balance, proper skating technique, and a little bit of stopping and built from there. Week two was more intense stopping, with an intro to crossovers by learning your edges around the face off circles. The next 2 or so weeks built from there (more stopping, transitions, tight turns, more cross overs) Week five we did a little passing and shooting and some backwards cross overs. The idea that i didn't have to pick my foot up on backwards crossovers confused me as well at first, but it actually helps, and they should have you practice it. The past two weeks have been more hockey oriented with puck drills and a little hockey strategy with short scrimmages at the end of class.

All in all, if your class is anything like mine, you are plenty prepared, and it will end up making you an overall better skater. I'm really glad there was so much skating at the beginning, because now i can do more advanced hockey stuff than i thought i could because i don't have to worry about my skating.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 04:15 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

By all accounts it sounds like you should be more than fine. It's a beginner learn to play class, the key word being beginner.

So as long as your geared up and ready to go, I don't see why there should be any problems, and it's not about how good you are when you get there, it's about learning and getting better, while having fun.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 07:28 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Yeah, you're fine. I still don't feel great about going backwards, can't do a fast stop on my right side, don't feel comfortable using crossovers in a game...and I've been playing in games for almost 6 months! You do what you can, and work on the things you can't.

There's a lot to hockey besides skating. The foundation is certainly skating, and it's more fun if you can skate, but even slower/worse skaters can contribute by paying attention and knowing where to be. I'm by far the slowest and worst skater at my Monday afternnoon games, but by being ready for the pass and then sending it along to the guy moving up the ice, I've been able to get a few assists.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 09:04 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Should have posted this in the OP but here's our itinerary

Quote:
10 minutes Warm-up & Free Time
20 minutes Skating Skills
20 minutes Stick handling / Passing / Shooting Drills
10 minutes Offensive & Defensive Concepts & Small Area Games
15 minutes Controlled Scrimmages

There are currently 2 levels of lessons:

Beginner Level - Learn to Play

This class develops the basics & fundamentals of skating, stick-handling, passing and shooting. No prerequisite class required.

Intermediate/Advanced Level:

This class enhances your hockey skills with challenging skills and drills, small area games, offensive & defensive concepts to make you a more complete hockey player.
Prerequisite required: successful completion of Beginner I.
I knew all of this before i made the thread but just so you guys have a better idea as well.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Stickchecked

If it's just a class, you're fine. Get in there.

However, I find it surprising to hear that you skate backwards comfortably but can't stop at full speed. You need to improve your ability to stop, both for your safety and especially others. Better players won't mind if you can't take a pass, shoot or skate fast. But they'll have little patience if you're a danger to them on the ice because you can't stop at speed.

(btw - Having a weak stopping side isn't the end of the world. I consider myself a strong skater but still cannot do a left side hockey stop with both feet. But I can still stop.)

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You should be fine. I wouldn't be surprised if you were one of the better skaters out there.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote