HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks in 3-5 years

Old
09-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Korolyuk15

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
You think the title is scary, wait and see what the team is like in 3 to 5 years
haha

funny, but sadly so true...given that the sharks can't/won't attract big free agents (not saying that is necessarily a bad thing given the ridiculous 10 year+ contracts handed out) and they don't really have the prospects/picks to build through trades I think we really just have to hope for a lot of Pavelski-esque gems to pop up....

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 09:12 AM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
haha

funny, but sadly so true...given that the sharks can't/won't attract big free agents (not saying that is necessarily a bad thing given the ridiculous 10 year+ contracts handed out) and they don't really have the prospects/picks to build through trades I think we really just have to hope for a lot of Pavelski-esque gems to pop up....
I'm optimistic that many of our prospects will turn out to be NHL players - mostly mid level 2nd/3rd liners or mid level pairing D. Not bad overall, just not many high end game changing players on the way. Lets hope we can draft or acquire some high end prospects in the near future. From there, whom ever is GM, will have to make some deals for pieces needed lets hope. We'll also need the hockey gods to smile on us allot.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:38 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
We have plenty of depth. We just don't have a top-tier guy. But frankly, that's okay. You want to get your complimentary guys in place before you have the young studs. That way you can be competitive while they're still on their ELC's. Like Chicago, not like Edmonton, who's pissing away their young guys' ELC years.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post

I don't think he will retire early but I just don't see the sharks keeping both him and Marleau in the 3 and especially the 5 year time frame. If the sharks really tank one of the two could get traded at the deadline, or just leave via UFA due to the sharks inability to win a cup with the current core or for a higher paycheque somewhere else.

Personally I have always liked Marleau a little bit more (I know there are people will fight me to the death over this), so if it were up to me (probably a good thing it isn't) I would keep Marleau around until he retires.
Why not? It all depends on the pay cut they take. If both take large enough cuts that the team could easily afford both why not? Speaking of which didn't Thornton take a bigger cut than Marleau on their last contracts? I'm not sure.

Personally, if push came to shove, Marleau is gone. And it's totally not because I'm completely biased when it comes to Thornton. Not at all.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 02:09 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Why not? It all depends on the pay cut they take. If both take large enough cuts that the team could easily afford both why not? Speaking of which didn't Thornton take a bigger cut than Marleau on their last contracts? I'm not sure.

Personally, if push came to shove, Marleau is gone. And it's totally not because I'm completely biased when it comes to Thornton. Not at all.
Thornton took a cut, Marleau need a raise (as Thornton's points were declining, and Marleau's were rising). The good part, to me, is that Thornton will certainly take a big cut on his next contract, and Marleau will be forced to take less that Thornton.

Old
09-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Thornton took a cut, Marleau need a raise (as Thornton's points were declining, and Marleau's were rising). The good part, to me, is that Thornton will certainly take a big cut on his next contract, and Marleau will be forced to take less that Thornton.
And all will be right in the world of Sharks hockey.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 02:19 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
And all will be right in the world of Sharks hockey.

Except Boyle. He can **** off.

Old
09-03-2012, 04:26 PM
murdock1116

I'll Play:

3 Year Plan:

Marleau - Couture - Pavelski
Oleksuk - Thornton - Havlat
FA - Hertl - Nieto
Mashinter - Wingels - Burish

Kuraly
Hamilton
Stalberg

Vlasic - Burns
Stuart - Demers
Abeltshauder - Braun

Tennyson
Doherty
DeMelo

Niemi
Stalock

Oleksuk - Couture - Pavelski
Marleau - Hertl - Nieto
Kuraly - Thornton - Hamilton
FA - Wingels - Burish

Stalberg

Vlasic - Burns
Abelshauder - Demers
Doherty - Tennyson

DeMelo

Stalock
FA

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:47 AM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Don't forget Tarasov and Gourde, just cause they are AHL contracts does not mean they are lesser prospects.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 11:13 AM
NWShark*

No way is Wingels just a 4th liner in 3 or 5 years. He's going to be a 3rd liner this year so I don't see him regressing. Minimum 3rd liner with the potential to be a 2nd liner depending on how they spread out whatever little talent they have up front at that point. Also, BRaun would have to be traded to not be a fixture on the blueline in 5 years. He's going to be a very good 2 way D for a long time from the looks of it. Good head for the game and nothing overwhelms him.

Funny thing is the D still looks really good. If Stalock is the real deal they could still be a playoff team with the right coaching. There are teams that finished ahead of the sharks last year with less forward talent than that IMO.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:29 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
No way is Wingels just a 4th liner in 3 or 5 years. He's going to be a 3rd liner this year so I don't see him regressing. Minimum 3rd liner with the potential to be a 2nd liner depending on how they spread out whatever little talent they have up front at that point. Also, BRaun would have to be traded to not be a fixture on the blueline in 5 years. He's going to be a very good 2 way D for a long time from the looks of it. Good head for the game and nothing overwhelms him.

Funny thing is the D still looks really good. If Stalock is the real deal they could still be a playoff team with the right coaching. There are teams that finished ahead of the sharks last year with less forward talent than that IMO.
We'll see, I think the jury is still out on Wingels. He's still only played 38 career games.

Lets hope though.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:

Braun will be 30 and probably 3 years into his UFA time in 5 years. It's entirely possible he walks, or costs too much. Or of course he could be traded.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 05:46 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
We'll see, I think the jury is still out on Wingels. He's still only played 38 career games.

Lets hope though.
Bot according to the team. I thought Kurtz said that the team expects to get 10 to 15 goals out of him this year which is definitely more than a 4th liner. Also, he didn't look out of lace to me at all in the playoff until he injured his shoulder. Thought he was the teams best forechecker using his wheels and willingness to throw his body around.

I think the jury is only out as far as the fans are concerned, I think the sharks know what they have with him. MInimum excellent 3rd liner with potential for some time on upper lines depending on injuries and lackluster play from someone in the top 6 (maybe Clowe or Havlat...?).

Old
09-04-2012, 05:48 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Braun will be 30 and probably 3 years into his UFA time in 5 years. It's entirely possible he walks, or costs too much. Or of course he could be traded.
If he develops into what I think he will I bet they lock him up. They'll have the money to pay him from the big boys salaries coming off the books. As the forwards get worse, DW will want to keep what should be a very good D-core together to carry the team.

Old
09-05-2012, 11:45 PM
SoCalSharkzFan

First time I read this thread title, I became ill, and had to leave HFboards for a few days.

In 3-5 years, First line has a top 5-10 overall pick at center, D needs a top 5-10 overall pick on the top 4.

SoCalSharkzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 12:40 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
The current defense is really solid on paper, but then I remember than most of the interchangeable parts are horrible on the left side of the ice.

SactoShork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Korolyuk15

Quote:
If he develops into what I think he will I bet they lock him up. They'll have the money to pay him from the big boys salaries coming off the books. As the forwards get worse, DW will want to keep what should be a very good D-core together to carry the team.
yea, I really hope he develops as expected/hoped (along with demers) and they get paid out of boyles salary once he leaves at the end of his contract

I really don't think the outlook for the sharks D is that bad, there are quite a few potential D in worcester who could make the jump. I'm not an expert but from the few things I have read it seems like there are quite a few names who could develop nicely (please correct me if I am wrong)

Irwin, Doherty, Petrecki, Abeltshauser and maybe Pelech (though someone above seemed to indicate otherwise)

That on top of Vlasic, Demers Braun and Burns could be a good young D...just need a solid goalie tandem and then commit to scoring by committee

Maybe everything isn't terrible! (was too much doom and gloom thus far...haha)

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote