HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Round of 32 (rd. 3): "Best NA Pro Prospect" - 17. Joe Colborne vs. 18. Jordan Caron

View Poll Results: Better player?
Joe Colborne 28 50.00%
Jordan Caron 28 50.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Fleury14
Remember the Kipper

vCash: 500
Round of 32 (rd. 3): "Best NA Pro Prospect" - 17. Joe Colborne vs. 18. Jordan Caron

Round 3, down to 32..

QUALIFICATIONS: Minimum of 50 AHL + NHL games played (20 AHL + NHL games played for Gs); Maximum of 100 NHL games played (30 NHL games played for Gs); 26 years old or younger by 12/31/12; Signed to play in North America next season; Can't have played more than 50 NHL games in 11/12 NHL season, injured players exempt (ie. Mike Sauer, Jacob Josefson, etc.)

----

Matchup of two former Bruins' first rounders. Jordan Caron did not look out of place in the Bruins' bottom 6 last season with solid 2-way play. While Colborne's early season AHL play and his quiet 5 points in 10 NHL games last year show his underlying potential.

17. Joe Colborne (TOR)
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=18593

Round 2: def. 56. Matt Fraser - 76%
Round 1: def. 112. Greg Nemisz - 83%

VS.

18. Jordan Caron (BOS)
http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=32870

Round 2: def. 54. Cory Coacher - 78%
Round 1: def. 111. Brandon Manning - 95%

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 08:35 PM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

Joe Colborne

09-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Shaun

Caron.

Colborne can't crack the Leafs roster.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
Jordan Caron,

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 09:01 PM
agreen23

Caron. He's younger, cracked a much better roster, more NHL points and has already stuck in the N.

agreen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Trap Jesus

Same way I saw it when Colborne was still a Bruins prospect: Colborne has much higher upside, but Caron is a much safer bet. Weighing the two out, I'll give the slight edge to Colborne.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 1150
Colborne can't break the Leafs and Caron made one of the best teams in the league, made an impact, and has a starting spot next season(fingers crossed anyway).

I agree with the above post to an extent. Caron is the much, much safer choice but if Colborne lives up to his potential he might be the better player. Still taking Caron though

Last edited by Dellstrom: 09-02-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 09:55 PM
lakai17

Colborne.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Leafs at Knight
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
Colborne can't break the Marlies and Caron made one of the best teams in the league, made an impact, and has a starting spot next season(fingers crossed anyway).

I agree with the above post to an extent. Caron is the much, much safer choice but if Colborne lives up to his potential he might be the better player. Still taking Caron though
Colborne played on the Marlies the majority of the year, and was one of the best players. Also was pretty good in the playoffs, and played good with the leafs in his 10 games, not sure what your on but...

Anyhow Colborne. Go big or go home

Leafs at Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
Colborne played on the Marlies the majority of the year, and was one of the best players. Also was pretty good in the playoffs, and played good with the leafs in his 10 games, not sure what your on but...

By break the Marlies I mean make the NHL. Looking back at my post I worded it wrong. Sorry for the confusion, didn't mean he wasn't good enough for the AHL.

Old
09-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucic View Post
By break the Marlies I mean make the NHL. Looking back at my post I worded it wrong. Sorry for the confusion, didn't mean he wasn't good enough for the AHL.
What does making the Leafs roster have to do with anything?

I don't get people trashing Leafs prospect just because they can't make the Leafs roster.

The Leafs are a bad team at the moment. It doesn't mean you just throw prospects into the fire.

Brian Burke, you can trash him ALL you want, but he will NEVER rush a prospect and the one time that it did happen under his watch was because of Ron Wilson rushing Schenn because he was psychically ready. Burke strongly believes in AHL development and it's better to stay there longer than not at all.

He signed Connolly to a two year contract for a reason..to make sure that prospects like Kadri and Colborne have ample time to hone their skills. Colborne has shown in his few games in the NHL that he's a pretty darn good playmaker, good skater for his size but still needs more time to focus on faceoffs, responsibilities etc. Talent and work ethic is unquestionable.

When you rush prospects you end up with guys like Nino Niederrieter, Paajarvi and countless other guys that are rushed.

Fact of the matter is, no matter how terrible a team is you don't rush prospects.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 152
Caron.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

I don't get people trashing Leafs prospect just because they can't make the Leafs roster.

The Leafs are a bad team at the moment. It doesn't mean you just throw prospects into the fire.

Brian Burke, you can trash him ALL you want, but he will NEVER rush a prospect and the one time that it did happen under his watch was because of Ron Wilson rushing Schenn because he was psychically ready. Burke strongly believes in AHL development and it's better to stay there longer than not at all.

He signed Connolly to a two year contract for a reason..to make sure that prospects like Kadri and Colborne have ample time to hone their skills. Colborne has shown in his few games in the NHL that he's a pretty darn good playmaker, good skater for his size but still needs more time to focus on faceoffs, responsibilities etc. Talent and work ethic is unquestionable.

When you rush prospects you end up with guys like Nino Niederrieter, Paajarvi and countless other guys that are rushed.

Fact of the matter is, no matter how terrible a team is you don't rush prospects.
I'm a Bruins fan... Trust me, I know all about our GM taking their time with important prospects.

Old
09-03-2012, 12:31 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

I believe it was Fletcher and Wilson that made the decision to keep Schenn up. Burke came in after the decision was made. I remember (take it with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure) that Burke said if it were up to him there was a good chance he would have been sent back to the WHL.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Leafidelity

vCash: 1775
Colborne easily.

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:43 AM
bruinsfan46

Easily Caron. Colborne has the physical tools to be better but he's so soft, there just seems to be something missing. Caron should be a solid third liner.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 12:49 AM
Kezia
egg

Colborne but close.

Kezia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Caron, I don't think Colborne will have anything more than a cup of coffee in the NHL (under 100 career games)... I could be wrong, but nothing ever really stood out to me about him.

Caron won't be anything special but he should be a good 4th/3rd liner for a few a years and when all is said and done have a better/longer career than Colborne.

Neither of these guys will be stars, just my thoughts.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 03:28 AM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Colborne.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 05:03 AM
nmbr_24

Caron, Colborne can't make the Leafs roster while Caron has made the Bruins roster despite being drafted a year later. Caron is more physical, better defensively, and looks like he will be a 20 goal scorer in the NHL to me. Colborne looks like he can be a #2 center in the AHL. His skill isn't translating to the NHL as of yet. He plays timid at times, was pretty terrible defensively in the NHL and doesn't seem to play with much desire.

Colborne looks like he may have more natural ability, but he doesn't have any of the drive that Caron does. It's coming up on 5 years for Colborne, he is really starting to look like a bust while Caron is a 3rd liner on a very good team.

That is all just my opinion and maybe there have been players who have languished in the minors for 5 years and then become good NHL players, but I would go with Caron easily.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 05:11 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post

You think Colborne played well in the NHL? He looked terrible in the 3 games I saw. Really bad. Against Boston it really looked like they were men and Colborne was a boy despite his size. He played soft and small.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 06:12 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Colborne, although I have to admit that I haven't seen Caron playing too many times...

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 07:06 AM
bp spec

Caron

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
Colborne, although I have to admit that I haven't seen Caron playing too many times...
and how much have you seen Colborne play?

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Kulemon

Colborne has much more upside. More risk but his upside is 1/2C

I don't see Caron being anything more than a 3rd or 4th liner and that's why I don't get why this is even close at all. By most people's logic in this thread Caron is a better prospect than Kadri, Blacker, Frattin (kind of?), etc.

All those guys will be better NHL players than Caron. Book it.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote