HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Alien: Isolation

Old
04-06-2014, 01:56 AM
Stephenson2*
King of Castle

vCash: 500
Alien: Isolation

Anyone excited for this game as much as I am? I seriously can't wait.

http://www.alienisolation.com/en_us/

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/04/...ien-isolation/

Last edited by Stephenson2*: 04-06-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Stephenson2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Osprey

Wow. I hadn't even heard of this. It's definitely intriguing. It seems to be to Alien (1979) what Aliens: Colonial Marines was to Aliens (1986), which is to also say that it's a horror game, rather than a shooter. It'll be interesting to see how they make a game of this, since it sounds like there may be only one alien. Naturally, it and you would have to survive to the end, which makes encounters problematic... but it would be incredibly satisfying to kill it at the end, after running from it for 12 or so gameplay hours. It seems like it may be half Amnesia and half, maybe, System Shock 2.

I'm certainly very intrigued. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

It looks like it comes out October 7th for PC, PS4, PS3, Xbox One & Xbox 360.

Last edited by Osprey: 04-07-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 11:01 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

I really want this to be amazing

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Heard of it awhile ago, been looking forward to it patiently trying not to get all excited. It really does look beautiful, hoping it looks that way on release.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Looks like it will be an amazing experience

Once

Not the kind of game I'd pay full price for

EDIT: man I cannot stand these "let's talk about the video" videos: they sound so full of themselves

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

The last Alien game looked nice in trailers,screenshots etc and looked how that turned out. I'll wait for the reviews on this one.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
The last Alien game looked nice in trailers,screenshots etc and looked how that turned out. I'll wait for the reviews on this one.
Can't blame you, the franchise has been pooped on by a lot of the prior games.

Maybe a horror survival is the way to go. The shooter type game doesn't necessarily capture the spirit of what the movies are about, especially the first one.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Osprey

The game's Wikipedia article has a lot of interesting info. I've bolded some of the more interesting parts, if you'd rather not read it all (though I recommend that you do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Unlike most other video game adaptations of the Alien franchise, Alien: Isolation features only one Alien throughout its duration that cannot be killed, requiring the player to use stealth tactics in order to survive. Although the game features some weapons, they will only be effective against the human occupants and android "Working Joes".

Instead of following a predetermined path, the artificial intelligence of the Alien has been programmed to actively hunt the player by sight, sound and smell. The Alien AI was programmed with a complex set of behavioural designs that progressively unlock as it encounters the player to create the illusion that the Alien is learning from its encounters with the player and adjusting it's hunting strategy appropriately. This includes the ability for the Alien to investigate "secondary sources" of disturbances; for instance if it notices a locker or air lock is open, the Alien will search for who opened it. The Alien emits vocalisations which the player can listen for to gain understanding of its current intentions; a scream may indicate that the creature is about to attack, while other sounds may indicate the Alien has seen something, is searching, or has lost all trace of its prey.

The player has the ability to crouch to hide behind objects to break line of sight with the Alien, and the player can then covertly peek over or lean around to gain view. The player has the ability to run, but this increases the noise they make and thus the chance of the Alien finding them. The player is given a flashlight and a motion tracker to detect the Alien's movements, however using these creates light and noise that increases the chance of the player being found by the Alien. The player can go under tables, or inside lockers to hide from the Alien, and will sometimes have to press a button to make Ripley hold her breath to avoid making sound. Levels are designed to be non-linear with multiple entry and exit points for each room, providing alternative routes for both the Alien and the player to attack or escape, respectively.

The game features no on-screen heads-up display, instead requiring the player to use their inventory to acquire information, such as bringing up the motion tracker to locate the Alien. Using the motion tracker triggers a depth of field effect so the player can't focus on the tracker and what's in front of them at the same time. Though the motion tracker is capable of detecting the Aliens approximate location, it is unable determine the Aliens specific location, or locate the monster if it isn't moving. The game features a crafting system which allows the player to create weapons and tools to defend themselves. Crafting objects appear in randomised locations forcing players to explore the level to find them on each playthrough instead of memorising their locations. In Alien: Isolation, players will encounter computers and other devices that they can hack to access information or trigger in-game actions, using a system which is similar to video tape tracking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien:_Isolation

It sounds like the game is going to be part Amnesia, part Thief and part System Shock 2 (with a hint of RPG/sandbox in the way of crafting). When you start bringing to mind Thief and System Shock 2, I start to get excited.

It also says that the game was playable from beginning to end back in January and that they're simply using the rest of the year for bug fixing and improvement. That's certainly good to hear. Sega has to be embarrassed about the state that Aliens: Colonial Marines was shipped in and must not mind giving the developers plenty of time to polish things up this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
That's completely fair. It's the same publisher, Sega, after all. On the other hand, Aliens: Colonial Marines was a mess mostly because three different developer studios (Gearbox, Nerve and TimeGate) worked on it at different times, and none of those are involved here. The Creative Assembly seems to be the only developer here, and they're pretty well respected, as the developers of the critically acclaimed Total War series on PC. They know how to make decent games. They can be awfully buggy on release, like Total War Rome II, but they're good about patching things up.

Where I have a bit more concern is that they have little experience outside of the RTS genre. First-person survival horror based on a film license seems to be well outside of their expertise, but they've earned enough respect as a studio to be given a chance, I think. It can also be good to have fresh contributions to other genres, rather than studios sticking to their established genres and simply re-making the same games over and over. We'll see how it goes. EDIT: I'm reading now that a "substantial number of former Crytek staff" are working on it, so that probably explains a lot. This could be a team that mostly worked on the Crysis games, rather than Total War games.

Last edited by Osprey: 04-07-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old
10-07-2014, 08:31 PM
CycloneLaunch

Anyone pick this up yet?

Saw it got 4/5 on Giant Bomb

CycloneLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2014, 09:23 PM
BruinsFTW

Send a message via AIM to BruinsFTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneLaunch View Post
Anyone pick this up yet?

Saw it got 4/5 on Giant Bomb
Saw some good reviews on it myself...

Waiting for some more feedback before I pick it up...

I'm going for The Evil Within personally...

I should go check what the steam forum says about Aliens..

No one here picked it up yet? surprising.

BruinsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

the ps4 version on metacritic has it at 78 with 14 positives and 6 mixed:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays...critic-reviews

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2014, 11:37 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
20+ hour Outlast except with more RNG and horrible movement.

It's awesome getting stuck in an area with baddies because your character can only use specific sets of stairs and can't step over an 8" rise.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2014, 05:24 AM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

10/10

I have **** myself numerous times already and I haven't even seen the xenomorph yet. FML

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

So, what are peoples impressions? I want to buy it, but I hate shelling out $60 for a game I'm only gonna get 6 or 7 hours out of. Looks amazing graphics-wise.

EDIT: Bought game, wtf was I thinking. This is way too spooky scary for me.

Last edited by Nizdizzle: 10-12-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2014, 09:29 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Just a warning to people: this video shows the alien walking back and forth. If you want to maintain the suspense of not seeing him until you first see him in the game, you might not want to watch this. If you'd like to know what's so funny about the video without watching it, though...
Spoil:
As the alien walks back and forth, a "traffic" cone is stuck to his tail and dragged along with it, prompting the guy in the video to lose it laughing.

Old
10-14-2014, 01:16 PM
BruinsFTW

Send a message via AIM to BruinsFTW
I played for about an hour yesterday....was pretty solid so far...

Intense thats for sure.

BruinsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Just a warning to people: this video shows the alien walking back and forth. If you want to maintain the suspense of not seeing him until you first see him in the game, you might not want to watch this. If you'd like to know what's so funny about the video without watching it, though...
Spoil:
As the alien walks back and forth, a "traffic" cone is stuck to his tail and dragged along with it, prompting the guy in the video to lose it laughing.
If I were playing the game, fully in the moment and on the edge of my seat, I would die laughing if that happened too.

10-14-2014, 03:03 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

This would have been a good game to integrate Kinnect with.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2014, 12:02 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Finished watching a Let's Play of it. First hour is solid, but then it's just 5+ hours of boring crap. Nothing but "find an alternate route", "turn this on/off" or "go here". Nearly the entire game is just walking around doing the same **** over and over again.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2014, 11:02 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
Finished watching a Let's Play of it. First hour is solid, but then it's just 5+ hours of boring crap. Nothing but "find an alternate route", "turn this on/off" or "go here". Nearly the entire game is just walking around doing the same **** over and over again.
The last time I watched a Let's Play of a game, the game was The Last of Us. Maybe it's a totally unfair comparison, but I was enthralled watching TLOU. I stopped watching this one after not too long.

Maybe this game is really good when you're playing it, but from the LP I saw, it looks really tedious, and the motion capture looks very wooden and un-lifelike.

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizdizzle View Post
So, what are peoples impressions? I want to buy it, but I hate shelling out $60 for a game I'm only gonna get 6 or 7 hours out of. Looks amazing graphics-wise.

EDIT: Bought game, wtf was I thinking. This is way too spooky scary for me.
Yeah. I'm a huge, huge fan of the Alien universe, but this looks like it'll be a good one to pick up on sale when it's less than 10 bucks and the Oculus Rift is out.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote