2012 Winnipeg Blue Bombers/CFL Thread Pt. 2 - Fire Mack Edition

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2012, 05:20 PM
TroubaFan1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
Looks like a lot of people disagree with you on what the best odds play was.
I thought thats what these boards are all about, sharing opinions.

Old
09-09-2012, 05:52 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
That final score was hardly vindication, huh.

Old
09-09-2012, 06:29 PM
blueandgoldguy

JUst the biggest brain fart I have ever seen from a head coach in my life. remember how one of the criticisms of Lapolice was playing not to lose rather than playing to win. Well, it looks like Burke is carrying on that tradition.

AS far as that comment saying well, we already had one blocked, so it could happen again..well that's ridiculous. Odds of that happening in the same game are miniscule. If you're playing the odds, it is much easier to kick a field goal with the wind at your back from 43 yards than to corner kick it inside the 10. Irving and Brown even said so and those two would probably forget more than most fans know about the game.

Burke's decision shows he has little or no faith in his players (because he thinks they might get a big return out of the missed field goal) most specifically Palardy(because he thinks he will miss it or have it blocked again).

A decision like that sould cost him any chance at coaching the team next year.

Oh, and second time in three games where the defense craps the bed when they are needed most.

Old
09-09-2012, 06:43 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 6000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmaFan1 View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. I just said as a coaching decision the best odds were to punt and pin them deep. Palardy has a weak leg and ther was always the chance of another block or a return for a td. I say again the best odds before the play happend was to pin them deep with a punt. The fact that it did't work is Renaud and the D's fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmaFan1 View Post
I thought thats what these boards are all about, sharing opinions.
Sure they are, but you're stating the above as fact, not opinion.

Old
09-09-2012, 07:04 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

FWIW, HC agrees with those of us that say should have kicked the FG.
http://bcove.me/s4m2bjex

Old
09-09-2012, 08:04 PM
GrandChelems

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTDD View Post
FWIW, HC agrees with those of us that say should have kicked the FG.
http://bcove.me/s4m2bjex

Old
09-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

Seahawks lose after being gifted a game. Double whammy today for me. I forgot how frustrating football season is for me. My wife just asked me "why don't you just cheer for a team that wins?"......It's just too easy that way.

Old
09-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningwood View Post
Seahawks lose after being gifted a game. Double whammy today for me. I forgot how frustrating football season is for me. My wife just asked me "why don't you just cheer for a team that wins?"......It's just too easy that way.
They had it! Such a close game. Would of liked to see Wilson get the win on his debut....that being said he looked reallly good.

Old
09-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
They had it! Such a close game. Would of liked to see Wilson get the win on his debut....that being said he looked reallly good.
Yah he looked good, the future is bright for the Seahawks, I think Wilson is the real deal.

Old
09-09-2012, 10:37 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

Palardy "WTF, we're gunna punt? Really? whatever..."

Old
09-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTDD View Post
Palardy "WTF, we're gunna punt? Really? whatever..."

Haha, his eyebrows say it all.

09-09-2012, 11:01 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Haha, his eyebrows say it all.
The toss of the tee at the end did it for me, kind of like a "fork it, whatever"

Old
09-10-2012, 11:32 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 344
Enjoy the run to the end of the season as a head coach Burke because that will be the end of your brief head coaching career.

Impressed at how angry Palardy got.

Lost any respect I had for coach Burke when he threw his team under the bus in the post game.

Good rebound game from Elliot.

Great fan support, 30K+ for a terrible team impressive, Montreal can't get more than 22K a game in there expanded stadium (now 25K)

Old
09-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Well, there are three options on that last play.

1. Try for the 'coffin corner'.

2. Try for the field goal, to go up by 4.

3. Go for it on 3rd and 3.

Honestly, I feel the coffin corner had the least chance of succeeding, hoping for fortuitous bouncing and that Renaud doesn't A) send it through, or B) send it out of bounds in flight, resulting in a penalty. Imho it also had the least to gain even if it did succeed. The field goal would have been easier. And if you are uneasy about that, go for it on 3rd and 3. Simpson is averaging 8 yards per carry and 3rd and 3 is converted like more than half the time or something.

Cowardly coach = punt
Most coaches = field goal
Ballsy coach = go for it on 3rd down

I would have loved to have see them go for it on 3rd down. Don't even give them the ball back.

Old
09-10-2012, 11:54 AM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Enjoy the run to the end of the season as a head coach Burke because that will be the end of your brief head coaching career.

Impressed at how angry Palardy got.

Lost any respect I had for coach Burke when he threw his team under the bus in the post game.

Good rebound game from Elliot.

Great fan support, 30K+ for a terrible team impressive, Montreal can't get more than 22K a game in there expanded stadium (now 25K)
I try not to judge a coach's comments from post-game interview clips, because the context just isn't there. He talked about the Green and Mainor penalties, which were dumb moves, but was he asked about them, or did he bring them up on his own?

Quote:
"We had some very dumb penalties," said Burke. "All you can do is preach it and not tolerate it in practice and fine them for doing it in games...
"I don’t know what else I can do. That’s all I can do that I know of. Either that or put them on a rack and torture them."
That was what I read in the Free Press. He took responsibility for the decision not to kick the FG. It was really all on him but I don't know if he threw his team under the bus in the post game.

Old
09-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Bob E

Other than Hamilton again, maybe, who is this team going to beat? The riders were coming in with a 5 game losing streak, and beat the Bombers twice. As much as I can't stand Jock Climie due to his obvious hatred of the Bombers, he was right when he said, if the riders win, means nothing (in terms of indicating whether they are back on track) basically because the Bombers are awful. They'd have to prove they are a good team against a quality team.

It is truly unbelievable how sad this storied franchise has become. With no acknowledgment of this from anyone from the bombers. "We're disappointed, frustrated, blah, blah.". Then do something. Bring in quality NFL cuts. Change the composition of this team, because they just aren't good enough.

Riders are 2 wins ahead of the bombers, tiger-cats 1. As ridiculous as it sounds, the playoffs are still possible. But only if someone stands up and grabs this team by the throat and leads them. That is needed both on the field and off it.

Old
09-10-2012, 02:41 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

A Season on the Brink: Burke’s Blunder

Old
09-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Diatidialga

Burke is getting fed up with Crowton

Paul Friesen ‏@friesensunmedia

#Bombers Burke on no TD's: "We?re probably taking too many shots into the end zone." Also poor blocking and passing. And one bad play call.

#Bombers Burke on the reverse that didn't work: "When we?re down on the nine... a speed sweep is not a very good call down there."

Old
09-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Riders are 2 wins ahead of the bombers, tiger-cats 1. As ridiculous as it sounds, the playoffs are still possible. But only if someone stands up and grabs this team by the throat and leads them. That is needed both on the field and off it.
Not to go on an anti CFL tangent here, but this kind of stuff makes the league look bunk.

Just as MLB has too few playoff spots available, the CFL with 9 teams has far too many. They need to cut it down to 4 til they can add some teams.

Old
09-12-2012, 09:25 AM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
So apparently Buck is starting the game against Hamilton no matter what...

Old
09-12-2012, 09:43 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
So apparently Buck is starting the game against Hamilton no matter what...
Which is stupid.

There have been complaints for years that we havent developed a QB...

Now we have a chance to develop someone and then buck is going to start....

So dumb

Old
09-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

It's getting to the point where management and coaching almost appear to be making the dumbest moves/plays on purpose. It's like they want this team to fail, purposely. Why, I have no idea. I guess I just woke up with my tin foil hat on this morning.

Old
09-12-2012, 11:38 AM
sully1410

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Which is stupid.

So dumb
Elliott has started the last three games, I wasnt aware that "developing" meant starting him every game and watch him flounder.

Only thing that will do is **** with his confidence. If Buck sucks, then put Elliott in, but there's no need to start him in every game in a must win situation when you have a starter with more experience.

Old
09-12-2012, 01:24 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Which is stupid.

So dumb
Agreed so so so dumb the season is lost give him a chance to learn on the job and IMO he honestly wasn't terrible last game. There were a few times he didn't get the ball out quick enough or got a little bit lost in the pocket but for the most part it was encouraging. In the second half if memory serves correctly he was starting to show much better pocket awareness and he was getting the ball out much quicker. Wish he was more mobile because there was plenty of opportunities to get some yards with his feet but what can you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Elliott has started the last three games, I wasnt aware that "developing" meant starting him every game and watch him flounder.

Only thing that will do is **** with his confidence. If Buck sucks, then put Elliott in, but there's no need to start him in every game in a must win situation when you have a starter with more experience.
Oh god. A must win situation for the coaching staff and front office to have any chance of keeping their jobs at seasons end sure. We know Buck is not the answer (too bad because I genuinely like the guy) let Elliott play and learn in game situations. He has had plenty of time to learn through video and practice, there is only so much a guy is going to get from that. He needs to play to continue to develop and he needs to play so the Bombers can see if he is capable of of becoming a starting QB and if not they better start looking for someone else. Also his confidence seemed to increase as the game went on to me. He didn't just hang on to the ball and look shell shocked, he seemed to improve avoiding the rush as the game went on and began finding his guys quicker. Hard to tell if he was staring the receiver down some times, it did seem that way from the stands but looking guys off etc. is something that he is going to improve upon by playing. In saying all that it really doesn't matter because Buck will out again before long anyways.

Old
09-12-2012, 01:34 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post

Yeah he hasn't been stellar, I don't think either Brink or Elliott are the answer long term. To play QB in the CFL you need to be able to move out of the pocket and run (Calvillo excluded). Time for the Bombers to start bringing in some CFL prototype QB's!

Closed Thread