HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers - Leafs

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2012, 07:04 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
McDonagh had 32 points in 82 games with 25A and 7 Goals

Gardiner had 30 points in 75 games with 23A and 7 Goals which took him 7 games less than McDonagh

McDonagh is only a year older, I don't see how it's an upgrade especially when Gardiner was on pace to out score McDonagh had he played a full 82 game season.
You don't see how it's an upgrade?

They're defenseman. Their level of play isn't measured strictly in points.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
09-02-2012, 07:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:

Gardiner had 30 points in 75 games with 23A and 7 Goals which took him 7 games less than McDonagh

McDonagh is only a year older, I don't see how it's an upgrade especially when Gardiner was on pace to out score McDonagh had he played a full 82 game season.
Yeah. Judge McDonaugh by his point totals.

09-02-2012, 07:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
I agree, but this not a question of "Proven asset" vs potential.
It's a question of wanting to move a player or not.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:06 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
They were dumb enough to offer him.
Of course i totally agree with that, they told themselves: "We are going to get Gomez, a proven NHL asset with 700gp and 115 playoff games experience and a Stanley cup, by giving mainly an unproven asset with no NHL experience in Mcdonagh."........ This was totally dumb!

Last edited by palindrom: 09-02-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old
09-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:

You forgot the part where defense plays into the equation.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

Makes a lot of sense until you realize Gardiner averaged nearly 2 minutes of PP time per night, while McDonagh received 37 seconds per night.

Not to mention that whole "playing defense" thing.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Of course i totally agree with that, they told themselves: "We are going to get a proven NHL asset with 700gp and 115 playoff games experience and Stanley cup, by giving mainly an unproven asset with no NHL experience." This was totally dumb!
And why was a proven NHL asset with 700gp and 115 playoff games experience available?

It cost their GM his job. Isn't that enough reason to disprove whatever argument you're trying to make?

Old
09-02-2012, 07:12 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
And why was a proven NHL asset with 700gp and 115 playoff games experience available?

It cost their GM their job. Isn't that enough reason to disprove whatever argument you're trying to make?
Well my argument is: it doesn't matter that much if a player is proven of not. What matter is the future expectation for any player. Of course the odds is that a proven player can repeat what he already did in the past. But its only one criteria in the formula to evaluate the expectation for a given player.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:24 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's a question of wanting to move a player or not.
We agree on this. As i say im not referring to the op proposal, only pointing to a weak argumentation about proven player.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
So basically... Gomez for McDonagh who have proven zero in the NHL? I'm sure I don't have to tell you the NYR pass.

well, thankfully summer 2009 NYR didn't follow your wisdom.
cause gomez was = then what mcdonagh is = now??

so confused by that post.

this would be an absolutely terrible trade for nyr.
mcdonagh is more than likely going to be a multiple time Norris finalist as he earns PP time.
you're talking about moving what is arguably the best player not named lundqvist on last year's #2 team in the entire NHL regular season for two gambles.

you also have to consider that nyr going into next season(lockout permitting) is ready to compete for a cup right now. there's no guarantee that either one of those players will be ready to even play in the league full time this year.

i like gardiner in general. he stood out to me the few times i saw him. good overall package. good size. good hands. good feet, but honestly right now he doesn't even come close to ryan mcdonagh. it's not even a thought. maybe if he was a righty we'd be a little closer, but even then there'd need to be a good chunk more involved.

i don't know very much about kadri, but he sounds like he'd be a 3rd line center on our team at best IF he is ready to play right out of camp and can beat JT Miller and brian boyle for the spot... but at the cost of mcdonagh it's not even a thought.

Quote:

if you're really going to use points to justify your reasoning... mcdonagh did not have even close to as much PP time (37~ seconds a game generally with the 2nd pp unit). he got most of his points playing in a shutdown role against one of--if not the most elite offensive division in the league. in the points that he scored on the PP with = PP time mcdonagh would've been on a higher pace than gardiner-- and gardiner isn't the same tier defensively.

Last edited by Kreider Typical: 09-02-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old
09-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I seriously can't believe tnhat Leafs fans would be the one turning this down. McDonagh, at the age of 21, already threw himself up as part of that top group of defensemen. Once he adds his offense it's going to be scary. He hasn't even been close to his prime.

Jake is a great young defensemen but not in the class of McD.
Seriously? I am not taking anything away from McDonagh he's a great young defenseman but for you or anyone else to say Gardiner isn't even in the same class as McDonagh is a pretty bold statement.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:46 PM
SomE

Leaf fans make me hate hockey.

Gardiner is one year younger.. McDonagh is 100 times better

Old
09-02-2012, 07:48 PM
SomE

I love the argument: "well McDonagh played on a really good defensive team"...

Ever stop to think that maybe they are good defensively because they have McDonagh back there leading the way?

Just like the Leafs are bad defensively because they have players like Gardiner back there.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:49 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
Seriously? I am not taking anything away from McDonagh he's a great young defenseman but for you or anyone else to say Gardiner isn't even in the same class as McDonagh is a pretty bold statement.
It is a correct statement.

If you want to compare Gardiner with someone compare him with Del Zotto.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Nope.

McDonagh is the best Rangers defenseman since Brian Leetch. He's the team's franchise player along with Lundqvist. He's going to anchor this blue line for a decade. People need to watch the Rangers constantly to know how special this player is. I can safely say that he is probably the only untouchable along with Lundqvist on the Rangers.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:55 PM
WWB

This is an interesting proposal which I could see arguments for both teams doing and also not doing this trade. It is my opinion that both teams would be better off just keeping their players, seeing what they have, and not making this trade. Value is probably close but there is really no reason for either team to do this.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:55 PM
thrillhouse99

I'm a leafs fan, and honestly I wouldn't want this deal from our end. I think mcdonaugh is a lot closer to Gardiner than ranger fans want to think. It looks like a lateral move.

Leafs pass.

Old
09-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Leaf fans make me hate hockey.

Gardiner is one year younger.. McDonagh is 100 times better
Oh boy

Old
09-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

I'll just leave this here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...4507--nhl.html

Where's Jake Gardiner on that list?

Old
09-02-2012, 08:01 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

The Rangers listen to that proposal from Toronto and hang up the phone laughing.

09-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Swervin81
Disgruntled Leaf Fan

Hell no from both sides.

Old
09-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Brody

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
So basically... McDonagh for two guys who have proven zero in the NHL? I'm sure I don't have to tell you the NYR pass.
A 30 pt rookie season is pretty good, considering the fact Karlsson only had 26.

Old
09-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phaneuf View Post
A 30 pt rookie season is pretty good, considering the fact Karlsson only had 26.
Don't think Gardiner would make the Rangers roster.... unless he plays on the right side.

Old
09-02-2012, 08:19 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:

You must not have watched much of McDonagh. I wish what you are saying was true but it simply is not. Gardiner is pretty good, he just isn't in the same class as McDonagh.

Is there a difference between Shea Weber and Dion Phaneuf? There was only 5 points difference in their scoring totals?

Old
09-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Hell no from both sides.
This. But I want to know how can one player (Mcdonagh) be more valuable and considered a "franchise dman" than the other (Gardiner) when both players pretty much are of the same age and shared identical stats playing a full season.

Gardiner is valuable to Toronto as much as Mcdonagh is to the Rangers.

Last edited by Inverted: 09-02-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Closed Thread