HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Islanders bold predictions 2012-13 season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-03-2012, 09:38 PM
  #26
BelovedIsles
Registered User
 
BelovedIsles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In Your head [;
Country: United States
Posts: 9,995
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
That there's actually a season to be had.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 12:16 AM
  #27
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
That there's actually a season to be had.
In a nutshell, this is my principal concern.

Other than this, I can have faith in any team with Tavares as a centerpiece, as long as the goaltending and defense sharpen up.

If there is a season, I hope to be blown away my as many individual and team efforts as possible. I don't think I'll have to worry about Tavares, Hamonic, Moulson, Martin or Nabby, but my bold prediction is that enough of the rest of the team shows up on time to make whatever season we get to experience more something to enjoy (to a point) rather than suffer.

IF we get a full season:

Tavares gets within spitting distance of 100 points.

Moulson gets 40 goals.

Martin pots 15-18 while still maintaining status as a league leader in hits.

Hamonic breaks 35 points with a plus rating.

Boyes breaks 25 goals.

Bailey & Okposo both break the 50 point mark.

Grabner gets 28 goals.

Visnovsky & Streit break 50 points each - close to a plus rating.

Nabby, Poulin & Nilsson play well enough individually to give reason to insulate a convalescing DP in the AHL where he can work on being a professional goalie again in every way but the paycheck.

I'm going to stop now so I don't get *too* hopeful. A team with all of that in it's top D-pairing and top-9 forwards should be a playoff team or close to it.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:44 AM
  #28
19 in a row
Registered User
 
19 in a row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Haha, how did I get involved in all of this? I do like the part of winning the lottery... multiple times.

Please be psychic, please be psychic!
Funny as I think we actually had the conversation about winning the lottery and buying the Isles.. and when this fantasy crosses my mind, LaFontaine is always the first person I reach out to, to rejoin the organization. Glad to see that I am not alone in this thought.

Now back to reality, um er ok more fantasy?

- Isles finish 6th in conference
- Bailey busts out scores over 60 points and along with KO, form a potent second line for us.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:54 AM
  #29
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
I included you because you seem to have a good natured sense of humor-hope you don't mind. I wouldn't give up my day job if I were you based on my psychic predictions.
I don't mind at all, it was a very entertaining read. Now the key is for that initial domino to start the reaction. Come on lottery gods, come on! I need to save the Islanders, the money wouldn't be for me, I promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
Funny as I think we actually had the conversation about winning the lottery and buying the Isles.. and when this fantasy crosses my mind, LaFontaine is always the first person I reach out to, to rejoin the organization. Glad to see that I am not alone in this thought.

Now back to reality, um er ok more fantasy?

- Isles finish 6th in conference
- Bailey busts out scores over 60 points and along with KO, form a potent second line for us.
I do recall that in that crazy lottery jackpot thread a little while ago. LaFontaine would right all the previous wrongs and we'd be all set. Ah, it was a nice dream. I just hope the CBA is resolved because life without my Isles would suck.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 07:16 PM
  #30
leaponover
Registered User
 
leaponover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 500
My bold predictions:

1. Okposo will have a 60+ point season and cement himself on line 1.
2. Bailey will not improve on last seasons point total and become a full time 3rd liner or be moved for a draft pick.
3. Nabby will go down in Jan/Feb with an injury and the Isles already well out of playoff contention. Initially Poulin will fill the backup roll with DP getting a few games that he will steal wins from. DP will get the majority of the starts from March on and finish respectively in the middle of the pack in GAA and save %. He will stay healthy and once again be considered for the starting spot in 2013-14.
4. Neiderreiter will play very well in BP and get a call up in FEB with the Isles in the bottom 5 of the league. With Bailey about to be moved at the trade deadline, Nino gets a real shot at the 2nd line and shows suprising chemistry with a resurgent Michael Grabner.
5. Vis puts up average numbers and gets moved at the deadline and we get our 2nd back (to Detroit)

I've never done a predictions post before so it will be interesting to see if any of these come true. Since the thread is entitled "Bold" predictions I do view most of these as having little chance of happening, but we will see.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 08:05 PM
  #31
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,603
vCash: 500
Moulson - Tavares - Boyes
Grabner - Bailey - Okposo
Martin - Nielsen - Joensuu
Boulton - Reasoner - Pandolfo-equivUFA

Streit-Visnovsky-Hamonic-MacDonald-deHaan-Staios-equivUFA
Nabby/Ricki ONLY (55-37 games played - oooh!)

predictions, rose-tinted glasses firmly in place:

Tavares - 40 goals, 100 pts
Boyes - 30 goals
Moulson - 30 goals
Okposo - 20g, 50 pts
Bailey - 20g, 50 pts
Grabner - 25g

Streit & Visnovsky & Tavares lead Isles to top power play in the NHL.
Nabokov loses starting job to DiPietro who regains team USA-WJC, circa y2k form

my eyes hurt...and everything looks red


Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
These are my bold predictions for 2012-2013 season and beyond:
brilliant. You left out the part with the flux capacitor and PW procuring the "lottery almanac" to improve his odds, over, say, lowlife posters such as, well, all of us.


Last edited by redbull: 09-04-2012 at 11:38 PM.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 10:42 PM
  #32
Sheva7
Registered User
 
Sheva7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 945
vCash: 463
The Good

- Matt Moulson cracks 80pts

- Josh Bailey plays well on the wing, is put back at centre and continues to flourish. Becomes our 2nd line centre by January. Establishes himself as a real good 2 way player.

The Bad

- Andrew Macdonald gets more pts than Visnovsky

- Andrew Macdonald gets more points than Brad Boyes too

The Ugly

- Nino Neiderreiter makes the team again. Guess which line he plays on this time....lol
Same one as last year baby, the 4th! Doesn't crack double digit points. 6 goals - 3 assists.

- Nino will be the most productive player on his line

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:50 PM
  #33
GrabnerIsGod
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
**BOLD PREDICTIONS**

Brad Boyes gets over 40pts

Grabner gets to 30 goals again

9th place finish

Hammonic puts two people through the glass

DP returns and doesnt get hurt

GrabnerIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:58 PM
  #34
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,692
vCash: 500
I'll bet one of Okposo or Bailey turns it up. I can agree with that.

I will also predict our physical game will get turned up and we'll start winning. (and then those physical players will be gone this summer per Wang)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:49 PM
  #35
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
BOLD PREDICTION:

Dipi plays 55 games (25-20-5)

Islanders have to win the last game of the season to make the playoffs....they lose 8-2.9th place finish
The bold part made me literally laugh out loud, because I could definitely see it happening.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:58 PM
  #36
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,291
vCash: 500
My predictions

Isles go 17-20-3 (40 game season due to lockout) and finish in 10th place. Tavares scores 20g-25a-45pts. Nabakov gets traded for the usual Garth Snow "2nd round pick" at the trade deadline when the Isles are 7-14-1. Isles finish the season going 10-6-2 just to give the Isles false sense of hope for 2013-14. DP goes 3-6-1 during that stretch as "backup" Poulin goes 7-0-1. Grabner regains form by scoring 20 goals in 40 games, but only adds 3 assists. Tavares and Hamonic are invited to Team Canada during a World Tournament held during the lockout. Nabakov plays for Russia, and Okposo plays for the USA.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:13 PM
  #37
LongIslandCircus
Registered User
 
LongIslandCircus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
In a nutshell, this is my principal concern.

Other than this, I can have faith in any team with Tavares as a centerpiece, as long as the goaltending and defense sharpen up.

If there is a season, I hope to be blown away my as many individual and team efforts as possible. I don't think I'll have to worry about Tavares, Hamonic, Moulson, Martin or Nabby, but my bold prediction is that enough of the rest of the team shows up on time to make whatever season we get to experience more something to enjoy (to a point) rather than suffer.

IF we get a full season:

Tavares gets within spitting distance of 100 points.

Moulson gets 40 goals.

Martin pots 15-18 while still maintaining status as a league leader in hits.

Hamonic breaks 35 points with a plus rating.

Boyes breaks 25 goals.

Bailey & Okposo both break the 50 point mark.

Grabner gets 28 goals.

Visnovsky & Streit break 50 points each - close to a plus rating.

Nabby, Poulin & Nilsson play well enough individually to give reason to insulate a convalescing DP in the AHL where he can work on being a professional goalie again in every way but the paycheck.

I'm going to stop now so I don't get *too* hopeful. A team with all of that in it's top D-pairing and top-9 forwards should be a playoff team or close to it.
I love the optimism, but if those things were to fall in place the Isles would probably win the division! Not a likely scenario.

Of the points you made, I'd put my money on your Tavares, Okposo and Bailey projections. As much as I love Hamonic and Martin, I don't see that kind of offensive production from them quite yet. Boyes is a huge wildcard and Streit/ Vis will most likely be a large minus by year end (more representative of team play than individual).

Some additional, yet very bold predictions: DiPietro remains healthy and plays 35 games. Reasoner scores 10+ goals.

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:28 PM
  #38
original islander
Registered User
 
original islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCircus View Post
I love the optimism, but if those things were to fall in place the Isles would probably win the division! Not a likely scenario.

Of the points you made, I'd put my money on your Tavares, Okposo and Bailey projections. As much as I love Hamonic and Martin, I don't see that kind of offensive production from them quite yet. Boyes is a huge wildcard and Streit/ Vis will most likely be a large minus by year end (more representative of team play than individual).

Some additional, yet very bold predictions: DiPietro remains healthy and plays 35 games. Reasoner scores 10+ goals.
I actually think that Hamonic could achieve 35 points this year if he gets power play time.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2012, 09:39 AM
  #39
LongIslandCircus
Registered User
 
LongIslandCircus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
I actually think that Hamonic could achieve 35 points this year if he gets power play time.
He's definitely capable, but I don't see it happening this season. Especially when Streit and Vis will be eating the vast majority of prime PP minutes. I'd be estatic if he managed to put up those numbers, but Hamonic's defensive game will be heavily relied upon this year. The only top 4 defender we have with any physicality that will more than likely be matched against opponents top lines.

Really love this kids compete level, it for some reason reminds me of Rich Pilon. Granted, Hamonic has quite a few more tools in the bag...

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 03:02 AM
  #40
Aucoin3
Registered User
 
Aucoin3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,848
vCash: 500
I dont know that there are really any bold predictions to be made. This is as close to bold as Ill go.

1: Lockout has amnesty buy out and Wang does the right thing and clips DiPietro

2: Marty Reasoner gets cut and sent to Bridgeport out of camp. After 1 month he is claimed by a cup contender through re-entry waivers.

3: Jesse Joensuu makes the team out of camp.

4: Due to the lack of depth on the roster Matt Martin ends up with a larger roll than expected and scores 15 goals.

5: Brad Boyes gets the RW roll with Tavares and puts up identical numbers as Parenteau. We all continue to wonder how amazing it would be to have a wing play with Tavares who could actually be a 1st line wing on another NHL team.

6: Isles trade Mark Streit before the trade deadline in January

7: Huge break out for Hamonic. 35 points and the Islanders clear cut #1 dman

8: None of Donovan Ness or deHaan cut it and are replaced by a very cheap unheard of that the Isles acquire during the season. Think the second coming of Dylan Reese.

9: Kabanov puts up average numbers in Bridgeport and everyone on this board whines everyday about the Islanders not calling him up.

10: Okposo has another average season leaving every Islander fan disappointed yet again.

Wild Card: Grabner puts up his best Twitter season to date and everyone likes what he has to say on Facebook.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 06:04 PM
  #41
SpeedDemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Classified
Country: United States
Posts: 778
vCash: 491
What to expect

Offense
Brad Boyes a significant downgrade from PA Parenteau. Huge Decrease in Production both Tavares and Moulson (15-18 goals 40-45 pts)

Nino again gets played in wrong situation, doesn't produce

Grabner and Nielsen combo still dangerous shorthanded but sooner or later opposition begins to catch on.

If Strome makes the roster out of training camp either he or Nielsen will have to be their own wing man. Not an easy task.

Defense
Carkner leads team in penalty minutes result in low percentage PK and a top 5 goals allowed.

Too much reliance on Amac and Hammer, fatigue sets around late February early March.

If Visnovsky stops the pissing contest potential increase in offense on back end. If not blue line not very offensive minded, powerplay one dimensional.



Goaltending
A dinosaur and a cripple Must I really say anything


expected result
10 or 11th best case scenario
13 or 14th worst case scenario


Last edited by PWJunior: 09-10-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Crap
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2012, 09:58 PM
  #42
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PredsFan1IslesFan View Post
Offense
Brad Boyes a significant downgrade from PA Parenteau. Huge Decrease in Production both Tavares and Moulson (15-18 goals 40-45 pts)

Nino again gets played in wrong situation, doesn't produce

Grabner and Nielsen combo still dangerous shorthanded but sooner or later opposition begins to catch on.

If Strome makes the roster out of training camp either he or Nielsen will have to be their own wing man. Not an easy task.

Defense
Carkner leads team in penalty minutes result in low percentage PK and a top 5 goals allowed.

Too much reliance on Amac and Hammer, fatigue sets around late February early March.

If Visnovsky stops the pissing contest potential increase in offense on back end. If not blue line not very offensive minded, powerplay one dimensional.



Goaltending
A dinosaur and a cripple Must I really say anything


expected result
10 or 11th best case scenario
13 or 14th worst case scenario

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2012, 12:13 AM
  #43
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I predict a trade of Viz by the second month of play (hopefully in November!) for a second rounder and we'll have five AHL'ers alternate in his spot between injuries, while our offense carries the team with weaker numbers.

And Rick might undisclose himself after six games somehow.

Moulson hits 40 goals is my bold prediction. (a more reliable but less lethal scoring threat on the opposing wing allows for better set ups)
just like nabby last season, right?

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:33 AM
  #44
SpeedDemon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Classified
Country: United States
Posts: 778
vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
???

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:05 PM
  #45
thedonger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 838
vCash: 50

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.