HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Revolution

Old
09-17-2012, 11:56 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
This post had me rolling because I thought many of the same things, particularly No. 7. How many perfect little coincidences along the way? And the father dying scene was comedic gold. Did we need an epic death and speech from a guy we knew for approximately one minute?

Compare Adriana getting whacked in the Sopranos (which we didn't even see) to this, which we saw in all its glory and with all its sappy dialogue and music. Which had more impact? Gee. You don't have to overdo it, you just have to make us care first.
All they needed to do was have an episode to introduce the characters and the village life.

Who is this pseudo-Mom? Why is she resented by the daughter? How did they meet?

But I'm guessing the network "brain trust" wanted to get the action and the story going to "hook 'em" early.

*sigh* The premise was promising.

I'll watch the next episode, but the prognosis is not looking good.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
All they needed to do was have an episode to introduce the characters and the village life.

Who is this pseudo-Mom? Why is she resented by the daughter? How did they meet?

But I'm guessing the network "brain trust" wanted to get the action and the story going to "hook 'em" early.

*sigh* The premise was promising.

I'll watch the next episode, but the prognosis is not looking good.
Yeah, a little character development would have gone a lot further than that Kill Bill sequence. (And when Tarantino did it, he knew he was being ridiculous.)

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:00 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
Giancarlo Esposito is like a great athlete who's wasting his talent on a horrible team.
Yeah, him, and the scene where the doctor-lady kills those two bandits were the best parts of the episode.

Apparently with the lack of technology, they still have access to basic beauty products, washer/dryers and copious amounts of conditioner.

They also all wear the same shirt - it's that v-cut thing with the loose buttons.

The Dad had an off-white one, bow guy had a teal one, and uncle dude had a black one.

I guess there was a surplus or something.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:01 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Yeah, a little character development would have gone a lot further than that Kill Bill sequence. (And when Tarantino did it, he knew he was being ridiculous.)
The other show that has some obvious parallels is the Walking Dead, which understands a little bit about pacing.

And acting for that matter.

And avoiding obvious TV tropes.

I can't believe Jon Favreau directed that. I kind of want to meet him, get him drunk, and say, "What did you -REALLY- think of that?"

For the record, I like some J.J. Abrams vehicles - Star Trek was great, Fringe is good, Lost was good until about Season 4...

Old
09-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Quote:
9. Tortured bow guy (let's call him Taylor Lautner #2) saves Mischa Barton
Haha!

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 4856
I know I'm nit-picking here, particularly with a series that has little basis in reality as this one does - but I found it annoying how everyone was flying backwards when getting hit by an arrow or bullet. That just doesn't happen in the real world. It's simple physics.

09-18-2012, 12:59 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
That was an excruciatingly cringe-worthy experience.

Jeremiah was 10 times the show at 1/10th the budget.

The intro was so rushed, it was downright hilarious.

1. Here's the Dad!

2. "It's not safe!"

3. Dad's dead along with half the town. Emotional sequence rather difficult to watch without smiling because we've barely been introduced to the guy so there is no emotional connection whatsoever. Not to mention, the son aims a crossbow at like 8 guys, and for some reason, they end up shooting the guy that Esposito was looking for "FOR A VERY LONG TIME!". The son has a crossbow with one bolt.

4. Time to leave! (Notice everyone just wandering around the town as if nothing has happened during the leaving the town sequence)

-15 minutes has elapsed.

5. "Hi, I'm random photogenic teen with perfect skin and facial makeup hanging out by the waterfall with my bow." Well, I guess I'll see you later. I suspect we won't see him again.

6. Random bandit fight! And bow guy reappears! Yay! What a shocker!

7. Chicago. We're looking for my Dad's brother. Let's ask this guy! He IS my Dad's brother. There's a remarkable coincidence. First guy we asked.

-30 minutes has elapsed

8. A bunch of non-descript guys run in wearing the same thing. If that's not a recipe for massive amounts of action, I don't know what is.

9. Tortured bow guy (let's call him Taylor Lautner #2) saves Mischa Barton from one of the random henchmen (who are dressed in identical costumes in Star Trek red-shirt tradition).

10. Meanwhile, asthma boy is doing stuff.

It's the kind of script someone from middle school would write.

...AND THEN they're in Chicago, and there's like, this cool bar, and the bartender is the Dad's brother, and then there's these sword fights and stuff, and then they all leave....
Let's not forget. We need him alive. 10 seconds later, shoot him!!!! lol.

Just bad. They should cancel it before the 2nd show. Oh and this boy accidentally runs to a house with a woman that has another secret locket reverse the effects of the power outage.

Horrible writing, bad acting, ect ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
I know I'm nit-picking here, particularly with a series that has little basis in reality as this one does - but I found it annoying how everyone was flying backwards when getting hit by an arrow a bullet. That just doesn't happen in the real world. It's simple physics.
Yeah, I noticed that too. A little absurd. Will not watch again. I bet this show does not last 6 episodes. Much better shows have been cancelled than this. I thought the Chicago angle would hook me. The city looked quite friendly to me. They even have the bars open.

One other thing. They were using fricken muskets. They just didn't pick up old ones. Are you telling me the technology to manufacture them is that much different than current guns. I would think there would plenty of current rifles still around.

Last edited by HawksFan74: 09-18-2012 at 01:07 AM.
HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 12:59 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
I know I'm nit-picking here, particularly with a series that has little basis in reality as this one does - but I found it annoying how everyone was flying backwards when getting hit by an arrow a bullet. That just doesn't happen in the real world. It's simple physics.
They are going for the Western feel, those sort of faulty physics are known to occur in Westerns.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Everlasting

I have high hopes for this show since it is created by the same guy behind Supernatural but after reading this... i dont know...

Gonna see it today or tomorow.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:22 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

I will add that Giancarlo Esposito did a good job. Too bad he decided to be in this train wreck.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:24 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Ok from reading this thread I am no longer very interested in seeing this. Was busy last night and didn't watch but figured I'd see if I could find it online or something but now it does not seem worth the trouble to do so.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

It's pretty awful.

So lame. They don't know whether they can shill off of Hunger Games or if it's a Fallout rip off. I will end up catching it here or there at times I guess to see if it improved, but it's going to get canceled.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:14 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Tell me why everything JJ Abrams does gets all this massive hype? Awful show

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
It's pretty awful.

So lame. They don't know whether they can shill off of Hunger Games or if it's a Fallout rip off. I will end up catching it here or there at times I guess to see if it improved, but it's going to get canceled.
It's not ripping off either of them as neither story invented the post-apoc genre nor the murder game scenerio. Now...a very strong case can be made for SM Stirling's Emberverse series heheh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dies_the_Fire

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Protest the Hero

Are all of the good drama writers really taken up by HBO/AMC/FX these days. I mean there has to be some smart writers out there somewhere for these networks to hire. Basically every new drama I've watched in the last year and a half is the same thing.

Gotta love how every guy in this world has a perfectly shaved chest. One of my favourite aspects of Deadwood was how dirty and real the world felt. Even the richest woman in Deadwood didn't have nearly as much makeup as the men in this show.

Terrible, terrible writing, bad acting, terrible job revealing the magic device in the very first episode. Good production values are about the only positive. Way to force that romance too, can't wait to find out in the conclusion to "will they/won't they" in the season finale.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:14 AM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
Was looking forward to this but it sounds like even more of a train-wreck than Terra Nova and Alcatraz were.

Looks like I'll be sticking with Person of Interest as my only non-AMC/HBO television offering.

Ek het lief Woef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:33 AM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Are all of the good drama writers really taken up by HBO/AMC/FX these days. I mean there has to be some smart writers out there somewhere for these networks to hire. Basically every new drama I've watched in the last year and a half is the same thing.

Gotta love how every guy in this world has a perfectly shaved chest. One of my favourite aspects of Deadwood was how dirty and real the world felt. Even the richest woman in Deadwood didn't have nearly as much makeup as the men in this show.

Terrible, terrible writing, bad acting, terrible job revealing the magic device in the very first episode. Good production values are about the only positive. Way to force that romance too, can't wait to find out in the conclusion to "will they/won't they" in the season finale.
Honestly, yeah they are. It's becasue they get a lot more freedom to do what they want than they get on a network.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin929 View Post
I have high hopes for this show since it is created by the same guy behind Supernatural but after reading this... i dont know...
That was the only reason I was watching it too.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Trap Jesus

I taped it, but still flipped it on every once in a while in the commercial breaks for Monday Night Football, and that's all I needed to know about it. Good god, the acting was brutal. I also counted like 20 cliche things in the 5 total minutes I had it on for.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Spoil:
So Monroe had ice, does that signify anything? Considering that you typically need electricity to make ice.

This show definitely could have used two episodes to start it off. The first episode setting the story and the second one could have been all swords, bows and dumb love story.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Shameus

From something I read I think they are going to depend on flashbacks to help with character development.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 11:46 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Meh. Yeah, it probably could have used an intro episode but I really don't care all that much. If the story is remotely interesting from this point forward, I will tune in. I watch shows on the big 4 networks less critically than an HBO or AMC show.

After all, in the age of PVR there is nothing stopping me from recording a show such as this and simply watching it out of boredom at my leisure.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Send a message via ICQ to Eleven Send a message via AIM to Eleven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Spoil:
So Monroe had ice, does that signify anything? Considering that you typically need electricity to make ice.

This show definitely could have used two episodes to start it off. The first episode setting the story and the second one could have been all swords, bows and dumb love story.
Spoil:
You can easily make ice with Ammonium Nitrate (fertilizer), water and a metal container.

Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Spoil:
You can easily make ice with Ammonium Nitrate (fertilizer), water and a metal container.
Ahhhh, cool beans. Thanks for sharing.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 01:22 PM
CaptainCrunch67

For some reason I was actually looking forward to this and it fell so completely flat that I heard a thud.

Its almost like they know they had a limited run so they really rushed everything at the expense of gaining a give a crap about the characters.

OMG the lights are going out, one airliner crashed, flash forward 15 years. Everyone has perfect cool clothes and perfect teeth and perfect flowing well groomed hair in a world without electricity.

If you stay in the city you die, man Chicago is packed.

We have bows they have guns, we live in a country that probably has more guns then people, but lets hunt with spears.

Clearly there's some kind of dampening effect happening, yet (drives me nuts) the one person turns on her doodad and suddenly has either internet access, or global communications with satallites.

Idiot fact is trying to kill the worst actress ever with repeated down slashes with his sword hitting her stationary cross bow 8 billion times instead of I don't know attacking in a different way, congrats your the worst disposible yeoman yet.

I'm assuming that we'll get more back story through flashbacks but I was dissapointed that they glossed over the collapse of civilization.

Asthma boy was just utterly utterly terrible. The only credible interesting character was the head of the militia group chasing our heroine down.

It seems like they walked clear to Chicago from errrr the suburbs yet they had to camp overnight and whine about how sore they are.

the sword fight was decent but it would have been better if the brother played up that he had drank a whole bottle of whisky and why the hell do chronic alcoholics always look so good on T.V.

Do these people not forage, the one goof is whining about toilet paper, but I would assume that there were probably several trillion rolls of toilet paper out there after civilization collapsed and probably wiped out 3/4 of the population.

If this series is going to survive it has to be a lot more interesting in terms of post apocolyptic doom and less on the why is the electricity gone.

These people should be struggling to survive not thriving, and shy in the hell is anyone living in the Chicago area with no heat and no electricity, shouldn't everyone have moved to Floriday by now?

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote