HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Revolution

Old
09-19-2012, 12:23 PM
RayP
Registered Dad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
The premise, the environment...none of that bothers me. The acting though is pitiful.
That last fight scene was unbearable. Like a poorly performed Kill Bill scene that was PG rated, with even worse acting.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 01:41 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Yes. It that's bad.

As far as people complaining on IMDB, they're absolutely right. We suspend disbelief to what would it be like to live in this society? What would the world be like with no electricity 15 years later? Great concept but poorly executed.

The ACDC shirt the Google guy was wearing looked like he bought it from Target the day before. Sure people can shave but overall they were a bit too well kept. In order to suspend disbelief you can not have so many conflicting elements in the first show. They created this world, their job is to get the audience to buy in. Complete fail. They cared way too much about fight scenes, not enough attention to detail, nor character development.
I dunno I guess we just have different views of what the world would look like 15 years after the power going out. I think by then alot of people would have done a pretty good job adapting to their environment.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 01:44 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
I'm amazed that so many people are up-in-arms that a fictional series isn't completely based on reality.

I'm surprised I haven't read a post proclaiming, "FIFTEEN YEARS IN THE FUTURE? WHAT IS THIS?!"

I watched it and half of these posts are so laughable. It's not THAT bad of a series really. It's not "worth the hype" but its not a steaming pile of monkey **** either. I'll keep watching until it's over/cancelled.
Thats pretty much what I thought as well. It was ok in my eyes nothing amazing but I am surprised by the negativity. I mean hell we've seen one episode. Who knows where they may take the show in the next ones.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Protest the Hero

I don't think anyone is saying it can't improve, but it's already falling into the same traps that made other recently aired network series such crap. I think a lot of us are just so frustrated that time and time again these guys just can't get it right, we've been burned too many times, and it's finally come to a boiling point.

This is like the 5th-6th "next Lost" that's aired in the past two years. I ask, why not complain, we've now got better alternatives with HBO/AMC/FX now that we don't have to settle for garbage.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Fanpuck33

I enjoyed it. I definitely don't understand the extreme negativism in this thread. I suspects it's a product of people setting their expectations too high.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Ser Woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Yeah but then they couldn't show their beautiful weed covered buildings and environments in their promo material, and it's probably the best thing about the show.

Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying it can't improve, but it's already falling into the same traps that made other recently aired network series such crap. I think a lot of us are just so frustrated that time and time again these guys just can't get it right, we've been burned too many times, and it's finally come to a boiling point.

This is like the 5th-6th "next Lost" that's aired in the past two years. I ask, why not complain, we've now got better alternatives with HBO/AMC/FX now that we don't have to settle for garbage.
Ditto.

Network TV seems to think that they can still ride that train - Terra Nova was another that was an unmitigated disaster that suffered from horrible writing and cringe worthy acting among other things yet the same concept keeps being force fed to the public in the hope that something will eventually stick. I would think that they could find some actors/actresses out there that don't conform to every annoying stereotype in the book and some decent writers, producers and directors for one of these shows eventually. I can suspend belief to a point but eventually there comes a point where these shows just can't be taken seriously at all. It's unfortunate the odd good show on network TV (other than POI) always seems to get cancelled as well like 'Awake' was last year.

Last edited by Ser Woof: 09-19-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:07 PM
TheAntiPrice

Awake had the potential to be serialized network tv's version of Inception. I don't understand how a show that good could just get dropped like that.

TheAntiPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
Awake had the potential to be serialized network tv's version of Inception. I don't understand how a show that good could just get dropped like that.
Awake had bad ratings unfortunately.

Old
09-19-2012, 05:20 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanpuck33 View Post
I enjoyed it. I definitely don't understand the extreme negativism in this thread. I suspects it's a product of people setting their expectations too high.
Maybe.... maybe Breaking Bad and other good shows have set the bar to high.

I just don't see how anyone in the business expected good results with that pilot. I think the premise and some of the visuals got the green light for the show.

I'm just disappointed at what I thought could possibly be a good show. NBC has had soooo many cancellations over the past years. It's like they're just throwing **** at the wall. Compare this show to The Event. The Event was 10X better and didn't even make it to a second season.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:47 PM
Jovavic
Blood Legion

Thought it was alright, will give it a few more episodes to see where the story goes.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2012, 05:55 PM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Sigh.

I cannot STAND this attitude.

It's ****ing TV. Suspend belief for a little bit. The Google guy even complains about wanting toilet paper.

Whining about "but their hair is so PERFECT, therefore this show sucks!" is pointless. Do you really expect a Hollywood production to not have hair/makeup? Don't watch it if that bothers you.
I cannot STAND this attitude.

It would take so little to bring in a little realism to make it that much easier to suspend disbelief. Watch Battlestar Galactica if you want a flavour.

For the record, there are at least a dozen other reasons why this show sucks up to this point - mainly involving the acting by the terrifically photogenic. If you don't know what they are, I am really worried about you.

Last edited by NyQuil: 09-19-2012 at 06:00 PM.
NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Shameus

Watching the Michigan v ND game and NBC is advertising Revolution as the fall season's newest must watch show. They are saying that 20 million people saw the first episode. That has to be online, DVR, and live because there is no way that was just the live number.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2012, 07:16 AM
RayP
Registered Dad

Quote:
Millions have joined NBC's "Revolution." The premiere of the new J.J. Abrams/Eric Kripke drama about life after electricity goes out was watched by 11.7 million viewers, according to NBC. The show also scored well in the coveted 18-49 demographic, pulling a 4.1 rating.

"Revolution" was helped by a strong outing by lead-in "The Voice." Week two of the singing competition had 13.4 million viewers and a 4.6 rating. "Revolution" outperformed last year's Monday night at 10 p.m. series, "The Playboy Club," by leaps and bounds. In the same timeslot, "The Playboy Club" had a 1.6 rating and 5 million viewers.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1893560.html

Old
09-23-2012, 08:04 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold
Veteran User

vCash: 128
I didn't mind the pilot episode. I'm open to a fictional story but prefer if they at least tried to be realistic within the story. I thought the sword fight at the end was crossing that line for me.

I will continue watching the next few episodes and seeing how it progresses.

09-23-2012, 08:23 AM
RayP
Registered Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
I didn't mind the pilot episode. I'm open to a fictional story but prefer if they at least tried to be realistic within the story. I thought the sword fight at the end was crossing that line for me.

I will continue watching the next few episodes and seeing how it progresses.
Yeah, especially when the one guy was hacking at the chick with the crossbow. Would anyone really be that stupid to hack at the same angle, to a completely defenseless person sitting on the ground? That drove me nuts.

Old
09-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Natey
#feelthelove

I haven't seen the pilot yet (will watch and post opinions) but the trailer bugged me. I loved the premise, but why the hell are these people so "tidy" 15-years into a disaster?

Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:42 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I actually liked this episode enough. Plot was good enough the acting didn't bother me, and the ending set up just enough intrigue.

Whoever said this show probably needed a 2 hour pilot was dead on.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:58 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

The worst scene tonight, not surprisingly, was the one with Katniss Everdeen and Taylor Lautner.

I must say, I enjoy Billy Burke in this.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 12:59 AM
Mason10
Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I actually liked this episode enough. Plot was good enough the acting didn't bother me, and the ending set up just enough intrigue.

Whoever said this show probably needed a 2 hour pilot was dead on.
I agree completely.

Mason10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Vamos Rafa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
The worst scene tonight, not surprisingly, was the one with Katniss Everdeen and Taylor Lautner.
Huh?

I liked the second episode and hopefully it just keeps getting better. I also hope Elizabeth Mitchell brings good luck to the show after coming from Lost.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 03:52 AM
Grave
Chomp

vCash: 78
I really don't get the premise of this show do people not know what the Industrial Revolution is? We didn't go from the Middle Ages to the Internet Age.

Grave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 08:10 AM
EvilCoop
How's Annie?

vCash: 455
Yeah, the second episode was really good actually. Hopefully the terrible, too-short pilot didn't cost too many viewers.

It's certainly not a great show, but the bad parts could possibly be embraced as cult aspects. There's a reason Walker, Texas Ranger managed to survive eight seasons.

EvilCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post

I must say, I enjoy Billy Burke in this.
I was just waiting for her to unlock him, I'm actually surprised she didn't, I underestimated the writers a tiny bit.

Burke and Giancarlo seem like the only two people not forcing their lines so far, although Giancarlo's dialogue has been pretty bad, I feel sorry for him having to convince the audience that he's actually saying those things.

Old
09-25-2012, 12:45 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
I really don't get the premise of this show do people not know what the Industrial Revolution is? We didn't go from the Middle Ages to the Internet Age.
The google guy hinted at that...he basically said that they had been trying to rebuild the power but couldn't, so he speculated it is a man-made thing that's keeping the power off. Basically, conspiracy.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2012, 06:51 PM
One Less Louise
Dale Weise it !

Quote:

Networks aren't trying to come up with the next lost. Only pathetic fanboys who can't let go off the past are looking for the "next lost". So sick of you people popping up in every TV show thread and crying over a TV show not being the "next lost", holy crap... get over it already. Lost sucked balls too. You don't see fans of actual good TV shows like the shield, mad men, the wire, breaking bad, etc popping up in every thread crying about shows not being the reincarnations of the shows they like. Get over yourselves, it's just pathetic now.

That being said, the dialogues and everything about this TV show feels insanely corny and ridiculous. Not to mention that it's hard to buy into the premise. I can suspend my disbelief and try to tell myself that there is some good explanation but I am fairly confident that in the end the explanation (if it ever comes) will be horrible and won't make any sense. It's not like say Jurassic park. The premise makes sense, you can buy that it would be possible to recreate dinos from genetic material found in digsites. Or teleportation.. or mind reading .. or seeing the future with a lense.. or going at the speed of light or aliens invading earth or whatever.. but this .. I can't even begin to think of a scientific reason for all of this, man-made or not. It would require a machine that could suspend the laws of physics without any power source over the entire world. Seems like a silly premise to me. I am going to keep listening just to see how dumb it will get.

One Less Louise is offline   Reply With Quote