HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Replacement Players?

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2005, 09:46 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
Replacement Players?

do yo think Ed Snyder will use scab [players for the Flyers? I myself don't think he would. If so would you watch them play? It would probably be more trouble than it is worth.

Old
02-06-2005, 09:59 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb
do yo think Ed Snyder will use scab [players for the Flyers? I myself don't think he would. If so would you watch them play? It would probably be more trouble than it is worth.
He might not have a choice.

Panaccio who I detest, had a great article in the Inquirer today, regarding the Silent Seven: Snider, Illitch, Dolan, Peddie, Hicks, Kroenke and Anschutz.

Time for Snider to step up and make his presence felt:
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/10830353.htm

Old
02-06-2005, 10:54 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
do yo think Ed Snyder will use scab players for the Flyers?

if it comes down to it, your damn right he will. it will be a huge step in breaking the players union because there will be players that cross.

I think that's the way everything is going to work out. once the season is cancelled for good, I think that the NHL will start the court proceedings for a labor impasse and move from there.

Old
02-06-2005, 01:06 PM
pelts35.com

And a lot of the players that will cross are 3rd liners and AHLers. People don't go to Phantoms games at $15 a ticket. Are those same fans going to shell out $50 just because those players are now wearing Flyers jerseys instead?

If fans didn't turn out for the scabs when there was a lockout in the NFL, they certainly aren't going to turn out for Phantoms wearing Flyers jerseys.

Old
02-06-2005, 01:11 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
And a lot of the players that will cross are 3rd liners and AHLers. People don't go to Phantoms games at $15 a ticket. Are those same fans going to shell out $50 just because those players are now wearing Flyers jerseys instead?

If fans didn't turn out for the scabs when there was a lockout in the NFL, they certainly aren't going to turn out for Phantoms wearing Flyers jerseys.
I think you are correct and hope that people wont' go, however with flyers fans and their dedication I am not so sure

Old
02-06-2005, 01:14 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:

and how do you know that it will only be 3rd line players? I mean, I not so sure about that. there will be alot of talented young players(rookies, 1st,2nd and 3rd year players) that could cross. and you may not think it's worth and that's fine but there will be people going to the games. also, there is alot of older veteran players who might only have 1 or 2 more seasons left to play and they may cross just for that reason.

I know personally, even if they have replacement & young players playing, I will still be following the season just like every other year.

Old
02-06-2005, 02:33 PM
04' hockey

The players aren't that stupid. There's gonna be more turmoil in the NHLPA this summer than anybody could imagine. NOBODY pi$$es away two straight years salaries. The average NHL'er has a MUCH bigger motgage than all of us fans have.

Then again, they've followed Goodenow and Linden right over Niagara Falls this year. :lol

Gotta hunch they'll ALL be back next year.

Old
02-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Dr Love

I wouldn't mind replacement players simply because a buddy of mine could easily make a roster (if he got off his ass and tried), so I would love to see him play, even if it's against the best that beer leagues have to offer.

Old
02-06-2005, 03:59 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Most NHLer's are scabs

Old
02-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Who would seriously watch it? It would always have the asterisks next to the year, reading "the Stanley Cup was meant not to be awarded to the best of talent, but rather to spite the players union."

Old
02-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Steve L*

Quote:

I think you miss the point, replacement players are only going to be used to break the union, they wont be there for long before the NHLers start to cross the line.

Its a tactic rather than a solution to the problem.

Old
02-07-2005, 08:32 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
I think you miss the point, replacement players are only going to be used to break the union, they wont be there for long before the NHLers start to cross the line.

Its a tactic rather than a solution to the problem.
That's all well and good, however one of the questions at the top of the thread was "Would you watch them play?" That was the issue that I was addressing.

Of course it is a tactic. That being said, I don't think that fans are going to spend $50+ to watch the Phantoms wear Flyers jerseys.

Old
02-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
That's all well and good, however one of the questions at the top of the thread was "Would you watch them play?" That was the issue that I was addressing.

Of course it is a tactic. That being said, I don't think that fans are going to spend $50+ to watch the Phantoms wear Flyers jerseys.
Yeah but it doesnt make any difference, they will only be used for a couple of weeks before the union breaks, its not youd be stuck with them for the season.

Old
02-07-2005, 10:39 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
Yeah but it doesnt make any difference, they will only be used for a couple of weeks before the union breaks, its not youd be stuck with them for the season.
Steve,

You obviously aren't reading what I am saying. I'm not talking about the long-run, I'm talking about the length of time that the replacement players would be playing. During that period, no matter how long it is, I don't think that people will shell out NHL ticket money to watch AHLers.

That being said, it's almost irrelevant because NHL clubs already have their STH money, just like when the NHL used scabs. However, walk-up sales would be non-existant to watch the replacement players.

Would you spend $50 to watch an AHL game?

Old
02-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Diesel

I would watch them play, but I wouldn't buy a ticket to a game.

Old
02-08-2005, 12:03 PM
mattihp

vCash: 639
The discussions I've been hearing, is that suspicion is that the teams will be filled up with College kids and many european possible scabs would rather stay at home than play in such a league.

Closed Thread