HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL HOLDING FANS HOSTAGE(FALSE hope for a deal.)

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2005, 09:11 PM
NewBreed19

vCash:
NHL HOLDING FANS HOSTAGE(FALSE hope for a deal.)

I'm trying to stay optimistic, but all the silence is starting to get to me. I think the nhl is really sad for making it seem like they care about the fans. Saying that they are working hard to get a deal done, but not showing much compromise towards the players issues. Sure a cap will fix some of the NHL's problems, but do we really expect the players to fix everything through the CBA. Why doesn't Bettmen take more of the blame; for the stupid signing of the last CBA , which helped put this league in jeapordy. I realize that the players are really overpayed, but so is Bettmen; although he grown the NHL to a billion dollar sport. He also ruined most everything else!!. The owners aren't any better, some of them are the reason why the players are getting the kind of money that they are.
The NHL plans to deliver their new proposal next week, which I hope will get something done. I hope for all fans, hockey related workers a like, that it ends in something everyone can cheer about. NHL hockey fans deserve more good news these days( We contribute to the well being of this league, through tickets,concession sales and helping to make money for this league, but keep being thought as just a paying hockey fan) NHL& NHLPA WAKEUP!!! DO SOMETHING FOR THE HOCKEY FANS AND BRING IT BACK.

Old
01-23-2005, 09:13 PM
CarlRacki

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBreed19
I'm trying to stay optimistic, but all the silence is starting to get to me. I think the nhl is really sad for making it seem like they care about the fans. Saying that they are working hard to get a deal done, but not showing much compromise towards the players issues. Sure a cap will fix some of the NHL's problems, but do we really expect the players to fix everything through the CBA. Why doesn't Bettmen take more of the blame; for the stupid signing of the last CBA , which helped put this league in jeapordy. I realize that the players are really overpayed, but so is Bettmen; although he grown the NHL to a billion dollar sport. He also ruined most everything else!!. The owners aren't any better, some of them are the reason why the players are getting the kind of money that they are.
The NHL plans to deliver their new proposal next week, which I hope will get something done. I hope for all fans, hockey related workers a like, that it ends in something everyone can cheer about. NHL hockey fans deserve more good news these days( We contribute to the well being of this league, through tickets,concession sales and helping to make money for this league, but keep being thought as just a paying hockey fan) NHL& NHLPA WAKEUP!!! DO SOMETHING FOR THE HOCKEY FANS AND BRING IT BACK.
Minor history lesson: the last CBA was not Bettman's idea. A group of owners went around his opposition to get the deal done. They've paid ever since.

p.s. Hockey is just a diversion. You're not being held hostage.

Old
01-23-2005, 09:18 PM
FLYLine24*

The fans are not the hostages in this...the players contracts are.

Bettman demands are simple....hard cap.
Until he gets his hard cap he will no reopen the NHL and let the players play.

He does not want to compromise. He just wants a Cap. Thus...there will be no season with no compromising.

Old
01-23-2005, 09:19 PM
NewBreed19

vCash:
Bettmen had a choice not to sign off on the last CBA, it is also his mistake.
I just want the owners to cancell the season and get it over with, because the lockout is just ruining the sport!!

Old
01-23-2005, 09:24 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
The fans are not the hostages in this...the players contracts are.

Bettman demands are simple....hard cap.
Until he gets his hard cap he will no reopen the NHL and let the players play.

He does not want to compromise. He just wants a Cap. Thus...there will be no season with no compromising.
yes he wants a cap, but more importantly he wants linkage between revenues and salaries

Old
01-23-2005, 09:28 PM
struckmatch

This is one thing thats pisses me off as well. Although you must understand that posturing through the media is a tactic in labor negotiations, and when you're dealing with such a public business like professional sports labour disputes, the media will be used to its full extent as a messenger to your opposition.

It's frustrating, but it's the nature of the beast. I still think there is something weird going on with the two sides, their comments reek of happenings behind the scenes.

Old
01-23-2005, 09:32 PM
NewBreed19

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer
yes he wants a cap, but more importantly he wants linkage between revenues and salaries
I agree with the cap, but what incentive is there for the players to do the deal. Sure the money is there, but the NHL is not even trying to bridge the gaps. If the players sign their new proposal, will the players still take the fall for the owners and the league's bad choices.
Both the the NHL&NHLPA need new direction and new head bosses. The league is starting to look like doomed league with these two at the helm.

Old
01-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
I agree with the cap, but what incentive is there for the players to do the deal. Sure the money is there, but the NHL is not even trying to bridge the gaps. If the players sign their new proposal, will the players still take the fall for the owners and the league's bad choices.
Both the the NHL&NHLPA need new direction and new head bosses. The league is starting to look like doomed league with these two at the helm.
all I know is that a league that spends 75% of revenues on salaries can't survive too much longer

Old
01-23-2005, 09:38 PM
NewBreed19

vCash:
Quote:
all I know is that a league that spends 75% of revenues on salaries can't survive too much longer
I agree with this too , but it's more than just player salaries to blame for all this.

Old
01-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
I agree with this too , but it's more than just player salaries to blame for all this.
please explain how it isn't more than just player salaries astronomically rising over the last decade ... keep in mind Holik makes 9 mil/year as a 3rd line checker, Yashin makes ungodly amounts of money over the next 8 or so years.

Old
01-23-2005, 09:57 PM
NewBreed19

vCash:
Quote:
please explain how it isn't more than just player salaries astronomically rising over the last decade ... keep in mind Holik makes 9 mil/year as a 3rd line checker, Yashin makes ungodly amounts of money over the next 8 or so years.
It is player salaries that have been rising over the last decade, but keep in mind that it was the owners who signed their paychecks. The owner's and the general managers are also a big reason for 75% of Nhl revenues going to the players.

Old
01-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
It is player salaries that have been rising over the last decade, but keep in mind that it was the owners who signed their paychecks. The owner's and the general managers are also a big reason for 75% of Nhl revenues going to the players.
a) Owners sign Yashin type contracts; b) if GM's/owners don't sign players that the ownership thinks they need to take that next step = fans won't come out to see said team = escalating salaries to try and keep fan base

Old
01-23-2005, 10:08 PM
NewBreed19

vCash:
Quote:
a) Owners sign Yashin type contracts; b) if GM's/owners don't sign players that the ownership thinks they need to take that next step = fans won't come out to see said team = escalating salaries to try and keep fan base
Yes!! Owners do sign the Yashin type contracts(fools),this is why the nhl type salaries have risen.
Like I said ( there needs to be cost linkage) but to get this , they need to give a little back. I don't mean money, just in some other areas.

Old
01-23-2005, 10:25 PM
Pavel

Quote:
I just want the owners to cancell the season and get it over with, because the lockout is just ruining the sport!!
Canceling the season doesn't ruin the sport more?

Old
01-23-2005, 10:33 PM
NewBreed19

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel
Canceling the season doesn't ruin the sport more?
How can you say it won't, when a major sport has yet to cancel an entire season.It might not ruin a sport, but it will severly damage it. If hockey happens to be the first to cancel , there will be lots of things that will come of it!!!

Old
01-23-2005, 10:40 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Money is the big incentive... If the players had negociated and accepted a cap like the latest owners proposal at the start of the year, they would have made more money over the next 10 years than if this season is scrap and they get the same system as before but only in next january.

Old
01-23-2005, 10:55 PM
NewBreed19

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Money is the big incentive... If the players had negociated and accepted a cap like the latest owners proposal at the start of the year, they would have made more money over the next 10 years than if this season is scrap and they get the same system as before but only in next january.
The owners have done little to bridge the gap of the players concerns,which is why there hasn't been much bargaining going on thus far. It's more than money, we need a different person to head this league. It is being put to an early grave. Gary Bettmen isn't really a hockey guy. The NHLPA is also in need of a new boss. The players reputation is taking a beating because of this whole lockout. Until this happens, along with all the other problems, NHL's popularity will stay behind most other sports in ratings and will always have a third rate television deal( If it survives at all).

Old
01-23-2005, 11:37 PM
alecfromtherock

Added together the teams salaries were $1,332,974,890 or

63.4% percent of the $2.1 billion NHL revenue

75% of 2,100,000,000 = $1,575,000,000

How many non-salary costs are there for the players? To make the 75% figure correct you would need $242,025,110.

Someone made a comment about air travel costs, hotels and food coming out of the players own pockets, doesn’t the team pay for all of that?

That could easily explain the missing $242 million from the 75% figure.

NHL holding fans hostage? In summer the fans knew there was going to be a lockout, how is that taking a hostage with false hope?

Fans = no part in the lockout whatsoever(even if tickets made $850 million dollars last season(40% total revenue)

Old
01-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Go Flames Go*

THe NHL is doing this for the fans, if anyone is holding us hostage blame the players.

Old
01-24-2005, 12:37 AM
robcav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Flames Go
THe NHL is doing this for the fans, if anyone is holding us hostage blame the players.
The NHL is doing this for the money the fans don't matter to them. They see a chance at increasing owners profits and greatly increasing franchise values. If you think they are doing this for the fans you are sadly mistaken. It's funny how a league locks out its players, refuses to allow their product back to the marketplace without a cap and through a non-stop propoganda campaign blames the players. What's even funnier is that people believe it.

Old
01-24-2005, 12:47 AM
NewBreed19

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcav
The NHL is doing this for the money the fans don't matter to them. They see a chance at increasing owners profits and greatly increasing franchise values. If you think they are doing this for the fans you are sadly mistaken. It's funny how a league locks out its players, refuses to allow their product back to the marketplace without a cap and through a non-stop propoganda campaign blames the players. What's even funnier is that people believe it.
Everything that you have said, is exactly how I feel about this whole thing. It isn't about the fans,it's all about the owners turning a profit. They are taking their bad signings (raising salarys to new hieghts) and then blaming the players for doing so. If the owners were willing to pay those types of salaries; ofcourse the players would except! The owners just don't have to keep doing it, that's why were at this point.
Quit blaming the players and blame the owners for not watching their spending on player salaries.

Old
01-24-2005, 01:02 AM
fcbarcelona

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRacki
Minor history lesson: the last CBA was not Bettman's idea. A group of owners went around his opposition to get the deal done. They've paid ever since.

p.s. Hockey is just a diversion. You're not being held hostage.
But he extended the CBA twice. Any commish that allows such a pro-player CBA to continue for so long deserves to be recognized for their flaws. Some business magazines think along the same lines too...

Old
01-24-2005, 01:06 AM
DeleteThisAccount

Quote:
Damnit, they made a rant thread for the explicit purpose of not needing a new thread for each and every friggen rant. USE IT!

Old
01-24-2005, 01:08 AM
NewBreed19

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battousai
Damnit, they made a rant thread for the explicit purpose of not needing a new thread for each and every friggen rant. USE IT!
It's not a rant ,it's just cold hard facts of the problems with the NHL.

Old
01-24-2005, 01:17 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Flames Go
You're funny...

Closed Thread