HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

stupid question about stick and puck time...

Old
09-12-2012, 11:39 AM
ausername1

vCash: 500
stupid question about stick and puck time...

What is it?
Is it like a class or is it like a public skate but you can practice stickhandling too? all of the descriptions on websites of the rinks close to me were sort of ambiguous and I was never really able to figure this out...

ausername1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's literally just an indoor rink with a couple nets and you can do whatever you want. Most of the time they want you in a helmet at least. You're not supposed to play actual games, but drills, shooting, skating, etc is fine.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 02:22 PM
ausername1

Thanks! That's what I figured but I thought I'd go ahead and make myself look like a super-noob anyway.

ausername1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 10:33 PM
beth

Just go and have fun! Make sure to stay away from the net if someone's shooting on it.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Call in and make sure they have stick and puck on the day you're going. Sometimes it gets cancelled when the rinks get booked or there's maintenance.

When you go, make sure you bring a couple of pucks with you. I already lost a couple pucks at S/P by lobbing a few pucks over the glass. They get picked up pretty quickly by other people and get claimed as their own.

Lastly, full gear minus shoulder pads is recommended for beginners. That way you can practice all out without having to worry about falling or getting nailed by a random puck.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 11:19 PM
SCritical

At my rink they run private hockey lessons during stick and puck sessions. If you see a coach with a student, assume that the third of the ice they are in is off limits

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
At my rink they run private hockey lessons during stick and puck sessions. If you see a coach with a student, assume that the third of the ice they are in is off limits
I can't stand coaches who do this. Everyone paid the same amount to use the ice, you don't have a right to monopolize 1/3 of it and a net because you decided to give a lesson during a public skate. If you want the ice to yourself so bad, schedule the lesson during a dead time for that sheet of ice. /rant

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
I can't stand coaches who do this. Everyone paid the same amount to use the ice, you don't have a right to monopolize 1/3 of it and a net because you decided to give a lesson during a public skate. If you want the ice to yourself so bad, schedule the lesson during a dead time for that sheet of ice. /rant
Seriously, at least just share the ice, I'll most likely stay out of your way anyway

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 02:20 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
If you think that's bad you'd puke if you see the rinks in Asia.

First of all, there's no s/p in Asia. There's only public skate. Whenever there's a hockey lesson, they cone up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the rink. Whenever there's a figure skating lesson... Well, let's just say both the figure skaters and the coaches care little for other people's welfare when they're doing triple axels. This one time I nearly got nailed by this girl in public skate because she was skating backwards against the flow, not looking, with her skate pointed at people's faces.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2012, 03:04 AM
Fanned On It

I frigging HATE the coaches at my rink that take up an entire zone during Sticks & Pucks... it's ridiculous that our rink actually lets them do it. Actually, there are a couple of coaches (one goalie coach in specific) that don't even pay the rink in order to do this. They just pay their 10 dollars s&p fee and take up half the damn ice. SO annoying. I sometimes just want to skate through their lesson and start shooting on their net and see what they say..

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep can't stand it. Worst is when both ends are taken up by coaches and kids and then there's a dozen adults trying to use the middle of the ice. Basically can't do anything at all.

On the flip side, often there's only 2-3 people at SnP. That's fantastic.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote