HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings #20 Prospect LOOK HOW AWESOME OUR PIPELINE IS!

View Poll Results: Who is the Kings #20 Prospect?
Jean-Francois Berube 1 2.86%
Tomas Hyka 8 22.86%
Robert Czarnik 2 5.71%
Colin Miller 0 0%
Michael Mersch 14 40.00%
Paul Ladue 0 0%
Alex Roach 0 0%
Nick Ebert 2 5.71%
Joel Lowry 0 0%
Michael Schumacher 8 22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-21-2012, 03:34 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

vCash: 500
Kings #20 Prospect LOOK HOW AWESOME OUR PIPELINE IS!

Here are the results thus far:

#1: Tyler Toffoli (75.61%) Runner-up: Andrei Loktionov (15.85%)
#2: Andrei Loktionov (42.59%) Runner-up: Tanner Pearson (27.78%)
#3: Derek Forbort (37.93%) Runner-up: Tanner Pearson (32.76%)
#4: Tanner Pearson (55.32%) Runner-up: Thomas Hickey (14.89%)
#5: Thomas Hickey (39.53%) Runner-up: Linden Vey (20.93%)
#6: Linden Vey (32.00%) Runner- up: Jordan Nolan (16.00%)
#7: Jordan Nolan (29.73%) Runner-up: Jake Muzzin: (18.92%)
#8: Jake Muzzin (31.11%) Runner-up: Nicolas Deslauriers (28.89%)
#9: Nicolas Deslauriers (44.19%) Runner-up: Martin Jones (34.88%)
#10: Martin Jones (56.41%) Runner-up: Andy Andreoff (10.26%)
#11: Nikolay Prokhorkin (25.00%) Runner-up: Andy Andreoff (22.22%)
#12: Andy Andreoff (37.50%) Runner-up: Nick Shore (20.83%)
#13: Brandon Kozun (28.57%) Runner-up: Nick Shore (28.57%) *
#14: Nick Shore (31.25%) Runner-up: Maxim Kitsyn (18.75%)
#15: Kevin Gravel (20.59%) Runner-up: Christopher Gibson (20.59%) **
#16: Christopher Gibson (32.35%) Runner-up: Maxim Kitsyn (23.53%)
#17: Maxim Kitsyn (30.43%) Runner-up: Andrew Campbell: 26.09%)
#18: Andrew Campbell (40.91%) Runner-up: Jordan Weal (27.27%)
#19: Jordan Weal (38.71%) Runner-up: Michael Mersch (25.81%)

* = Brandon Kozun won a tie-breaker vote with Nick Shore (51.43% for Kozun, 48.57% for Shore).
** = Kevin Gravel won a tie-breaker vote with Christopher Gibson (63.64% for Gravel, 36.36% for Gibson).

Do not reply with who you want added to the poll, because there won't be another one.

Last edited by kingsfan: 08-22-2012 at 03:31 PM.
kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:03 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Mersch, add Holloway

Thank you again for doing this kingsfan. These polls are always fun and you were nice enough to conduct them for us!

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:37 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I flipped a coin.

Mersch

Add Guy Leveque

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Johnny Utah

Andrew Campbell is in the top 20 and been on waivers a few times...? Ouch.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:37 PM
markisonfire

I hope Nick Ebert gets his stuff together. He could be great.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I think people will be surprised with Schumacher.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Basilisk

Shall we go to 30?

Basilisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:20 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Mersch, add Holloway

Thank you again for doing this kingsfan. These polls are always fun and you were nice enough to conduct them for us!
Love doing it, so my pleasure! Thanks for the comment though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I believe he's only been on waivers once. In hindsight, some really good players have been on waivers before before making the NHL. I believe Milan Hedjuk was one (he was available in the expansion draft at one point at the least). For the Kings, Eric Belanger was available on waivers prior to the 2000-2001 season. He's carved out a very good career since then I'd say and if he can hang around for three more seasons, could reach 1,000 games (almost 800 now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I think people will be surprised with Schumacher.
Me too, though if Mersch got in at 20, wouldn't shock me. Hard to believe one of those two won't make the top 20. Same with Hyka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post
Shall we go to 30?
I would if there was interest, but the number of votes drops off at this point, not to mention there is few players left to recommend we add.

Old
08-21-2012, 06:34 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I would if there was interest, but the number of votes drops off at this point, not to mention there is few players left to recommend we add.
I'm down with a top 30 if you decide to keep it going. There aren't a lot of prospects to add, though. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Brian O'Neill.

Edit: Forgot about Nic Dowd as well.

Last edited by King'sPawn: 08-21-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old
08-21-2012, 07:38 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Let's go to 30!

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:14 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Edit: Forgot about Nic Dowd as well.
Wait, how has Dowd not been added yet? Completely spaced him as an option.

Quote:
You do realize that Hickey will likely be on waivers this year along with Campbell right? Heck Bryzgalov was once put on waivers and man, he's terrible... If that's your determining factor when judging a prospect, you probably don't know much about judging prospects.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 09:41 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Wait, how has Dowd not been added yet? Completely spaced him as an option.
I don't think one person has nominated him in all 20 threads.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:01 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
I don't think one person has nominated him in all 20 threads.
Yeah I know itotall spaced him but kid has some decent potential as a snper in this leaue.

Old
08-22-2012, 03:31 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

And Michael Mersch is the #20 prospect. Herby would have likely freaked on us if he wasn't, lol.

Just kiddin' Herby.

It's an interesting comparison between this year and last year. I've bumped last years' poll again, but here's a direct link as well: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=985747

14 of the 20 prospects from last year were voted on again this year, with Jake Muzzin (8th) the only one to hold the exact same position both years.

Missing this year from last year are: Viacheslav Voinov (graduation), Oscar Moller (technically graduated), Bud Holloway, Jeff Zatkoff (no longer in the organization), Dwight King (graduated) and Michael Schumacher (who likely would have been 21st or 22nd this year if we had kept going).

Replacing them are Tanner Pearson, Jordan Nolan, Nikolay Prokhorkin, Kevin Gravel, Andrew Campbell and Michael Mersch.

Linden Vey was only player from last years top 20 list outside the top 10 to get promoted into the top 10 for this year (going from 11th to 6th).

Old
08-23-2012, 12:24 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Interesting how things have changed:

1. Tyler Toffoli (3)
2. Andrei Loktionov (1)
3. Derek Forbort (4)
4. Tanner Pearson (N/A)
5. Thomas Hickey (7)
6. Linden Vey (11)
7. Jordan Nolan (Not ranked)
8. Jake Muzzin (8)
9. Nicolas Deslauriers (5)
10. Martin Jones (6)
11. Nikolai Prokhorkin (N/A)
12. Andy Andreoff (18)
13. Brandon Kozun (10)
14. Nick Shore (16)
15. Kevin Gravel (Not ranked)
16. Christopher Gibson (12)
17. Maxim Kitsyn (9)
18. Andrew Campbell (Not ranked)
19. Jordan Weal (15)
20. Michael Mersch (Not ranked)

I bolded the ones who rose and underlined the ones who fell, and also wrote last year's rank in parenthesis.

Interesting how Thomas Hickey, who a lot of people seem disappointed with, is still a riser. Forbort, despite not putting up big numbers and having an injury, also rose. Deslauriers, after a rough rookie season, dropped quite a bit. Martin Jones inexplicably dropped (even though he still put up good numbers). Weal put up pretty good numbers on a bad team, and still fell. The biggest faller is Kitsyn, who I guess fell out of favor after going back to Russia.

My rankings are a lot different, but that can be another discussion.

Old
08-23-2012, 11:14 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Interesting how Thomas Hickey, who a lot of people seem disappointed with, is still a riser.
That to me was one of the head scratchers as well, Just don't get how people still hold him high regard, or at least higher than guys like Muzzin, Campbell, Forbort, and Gravel at this point. I

Quote:
Deslauriers, after a rough rookie season, dropped quite a bit.
Hopefully just a bad rookie season, and he starts to figure it out this year, but I still think he didn't drop enough honestly... He had about as disasterous a season as one can have.

Quote:
Martin Jones inexplicably dropped (even though he still put up good numbers).
Do not get this at all. I understand that the Kings have Quick and Bernier in the NHL, but Jones on any other team would probably have a cup of coffee and be close to a full time backup. Do not get how is isn't right up there with Loki, TT, Pearson, or Forbort.

Quote:
Weal put up pretty good numbers on a bad team, and still fell.
I really like his game but for me he's struggled in limited time in AHL, was a healthy scratch in a lot of his time in favor of guys like AA, O'Neil, and Kaunisto who he should have probably had the inside track on.

Quote:
The biggest faller is Kitsyn, who I guess fell out of favor after going back to Russia.
My rankings are a lot different, but that can be another discussion
Mine too. Thing with Kitsyn is it's pretty clear he is being totally mishandled in KHL and not being given a chance to show off his skills. His falling may be a case of out of sight, out of mind.

Be interested to see your list though since I know we've seen eye to eye on some of the prospects in the past.

Old
08-23-2012, 03:23 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

For me:

Hickey: I don't hold him as high as I used to, but I don't think having him at 5th on this list is indicative of him being held highly by anyone. Being 5th on the Kings prospect list is about the same as saying he's the 150th ranked prospect in the NHL. Hardly elite status.

He did have a solid season though and showed he is NHL ready and capable of playing in the league. He's narrowly missed on on a NHL spot the past two camps, and I think he may have made the Kings this year in place of Voynov if not for Voynov's cap hit being noticably smaller (remember, LA was tight to the cap most of the season, especially at the start of the year).

Hickey's an NHL ready and capable player. Having that ranked fifth in your pool isn't overhyping anyone. He's also ahead of Campbell and Gravel because he has better two-way upside than those two I think. I'm not sure why you said he's ranked ahead of Forbort. Forbort's 4th on the list, Hickey is 5th.

Deslauriers: I still value him as well, but this may have been more a case of expectations coming back down to earth. I've never understood why he's been hyped so highly. I think he's a good prospect as well, but he doesn't have star written all over him. 9th is likely more accurate of his abilities, IMO.

Jones: I think a failure to completely seize the starting job from Zatkoff was a piece in this. Having him as the true number one next year can help his rankings, but he's simply not a top five prospect at this point. I think his development levelled off this season and he wasn't nearly consistent enough to warrant a much higher ranking.

Weal: I like him, but the jury is still out for sure. Next year could be a big make or break moment for him. He needs to stay ahead of the younger prospects, so a 45-60 point season in the AHL is a must, as is staying healthy. Size is his issue, so he needs to show he can overcome that. I think wherehe is is fine for now.

Kistyn: More an out of sight, out of mind thing as you said. I don't think he's upper tier either, but I do think he's going to be a really good player f his head is on straight. Not as good as TG said, but a 15 goal, 35 point type that can play both ends, and get dirty. Jarrett Stoll for the wings perhaps?

Old
08-23-2012, 09:55 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
That to me was one of the head scratchers as well, Just don't get how people still hold him high regard, or at least higher than guys like Muzzin, Campbell, Forbort, and Gravel at this point.
I admit, I still have Hickey rated higher than them, but to me it boils down to the amount he is risen given that people are giving up on him as a #4 overall. I think he can still be an NHLer.

Quote:
Hopefully just a bad rookie season, and he starts to figure it out this year, but I still think he didn't drop enough honestly... He had about as disasterous a season as one can have.
You're really not going to like my list then, but I'll explain my rationale for some of them

Quote:
Do not get this at all. I understand that the Kings have Quick and Bernier in the NHL, but Jones on any other team would probably have a cup of coffee and be close to a full time backup. Do not get how is isn't right up there with Loki, TT, Pearson, or Forbort.
I agree, and I think because he didn't, as kingsfan said, dominate and steal the job from Zatkoff, some of the hype and newness is just worn off from him.

Quote:
I really like his game but for me he's struggled in limited time in AHL, was a healthy scratch in a lot of his time in favor of guys like AA, O'Neil, and Kaunisto who he should have probably had the inside track on.
I think, given the roles that were expected, as well as the playoff push, there were reasons the other players more relied upon more. I wouldn't necessarily use his lack of usage as a small rookie as evidence against him.

Quote:
Mine too. Thing with Kitsyn is it's pretty clear he is being totally mishandled in KHL and not being given a chance to show off his skills. His falling may be a case of out of sight, out of mind.
He's very low on my list, not because of lack of skill, obviously, but for the reasons you mention. He's not getting playing time, and he might not be developing properly.

Quote:
Be interested to see your list though since I know we've seen eye to eye on some of the prospects in the past.
All right, I guess I'll wear the riot gear since I feel not many will like it

1. Toffoli - Just the most NHL ready and skilled prospect, with articles documenting how he's bought into the system from day one.

2. Deslauriers - I feel he had a rough rookie season, but he's incredibly skilled and he has a similar frame to Alec Martinez the year he cracked the NHL. I think he'll truly break out this year.

3. Pearson - I'm not as high on his shot as others, but he's a great playmaker and incredibly smart.

4. Martin Jones - He has a lot of size and he covers the net well, with an evolving technique. He should do quite well as the #1 in Manchester this year.

5. Prokhorkin - His size, skill, strength, and tenacity are all very appealing tools for a young player.

6. Andreoff - While he will most likely be more of a tough guy, I do think he has a little bit more talent than Clifford.

7. Vey - I always compare him to Justin Williams, because while he doesn't excel in one key attribute, he puts it all together beautifully.

8. Mersch - He has a lot of skill and strength that goes with his work ethic and willingness to do the dirty work. His numbers grew quite a bit his sophomore year, and I expect he'll do even better with increased expectations.

9. Loktionov - To me, he's mainly dropped because he's limited in the role he can play. He struggled as a winger, and while he had flashes of brilliance in the NHL, he's never put it all together consistently.

10. Hickey - I still believe he can be an NHLer, and I think he has built up in strength, and he has skill, but in order to succeed, he may have to play like Jared Spurgeon.

11. Forbort - He has a lot of size, and while I am not incredibly impressed with his offensive ability, he does have a lot of vision. With lowered expectations, he could be a solid player.

12. Nick Shore - He's a very savvy player, though I'm not too convinced that Denver is a good program based on some things I've heard, so I'm a little apprehensive about his developmental curve.

13. Kozun - He's a living buzzsaw, as we all know. I still like him a lot as a prospect, but I do think he needs to be more bridled in the offensive zone. Otherwise, he tops out as an energy player.

14. Kevin Gravel - For a defensive defenseman, I still think he lacks good defensive instincts. He's disciplined, but to me it's still lacking.

15. Weal - He put up great numbers on a weak team, which I really like... but I do quesiton if he'd be able to translate his skills and abilities at the pro level.

16. Muzzin - There is very little I've seen that I particularly like. I know many will disagree with me, but I think he's regressed a bit after appearing out of nowhere.

17. Schumacher - It's hard to overlook his size and skills. He needs to play stronger physically, and he tends to do too much.

18. Lowry - He's speedy and has a lot of hockey sense. I liken him to a Tyler Kennedy type of player.

19. Campbell - He's big, strong, and solid defensively. While I think he could make the NHL, I just don't see him making a big impact, especially given that he's an older and more experienced player.

20. Ebert - He needs to get his head on straight and bulk up, but his natural talent is among the tops.

21. Tomas Hyka - I liken him to a Daniel Briere type of player; where he will fearlessly drive to the net and utilize his speed. Obviously, I don't think he'd have the same career.

22. Paul Ladue - His development will be stunted given that he will likely return to the USHL, but he's a mobile, puck moving defenseman.

23. Gibson - I don't think his upside is as high as some have him, but I do like his "never say quit" style of play.

24. Colin Miller - He has a rocket of a shot, but otherwise, if he makes the NHL, I think he'd be a niche powerplay specialist.

25. Alex Roach - He was less impressive this year than last year, but he's big and strong, and he's working on some key skills to improve his overall game, which could make him a fast riser.

26. Berube - Technically sound, but the pucks just keep going through him.

27. Kitsyn - He has the ability to will the puck into the net, but he is miscast while playing out in Russia, so his developmental curve is in question.

28. Nic Dowd - He's an all around player, but he has yet to do much more with increased expectations in sophomore.

29. Czarnik - He's incredibly skilled, but he didn't dominate as an overager, and he put up meager numbers as a skilled forward as a rookie. He could turn things around, but I've yet to see he will.

30. O'Neill - He's smaller, older, and his numbers never increased from his sophomore season. I question his ability to make the transition to the NHL level, and he will top out as an AHLer.

Old
08-24-2012, 09:14 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I will applaud you King's Pawn for some very ballsy placements on your list. Needless to say they don't jive with my list, but that's fine.

Old
09-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Since there seems to be no prospect tracker yet, I'll just put this here...

Guess who's leading the Elitserien in scoring...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...en&season=2012

1. Bud Holloway (RW) Skellefteå 6 1 10 11 1.83 4 4
2. Carl Söderberg (C) Linköping 6 8 1 9 1.50 0 5
3. Pär Arlbrandt (RW) Linköping 6 2 6 8 1.33 4 5
4. Jason Krog (C) HV71 6 2 5 7 1.17 2 6
5. Oscar Lindberg (C/LW) Skellefteå 6 2 5 7 1.17 4 3

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Since there seems to be no prospect tracker yet, I'll just put this here...

Guess who's leading the Elitserien in scoring...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...en&season=2012

1. Bud Holloway (RW) Skellefteå 6 1 10 11 1.83 4 4
2. Carl Söderberg (C) Linköping 6 8 1 9 1.50 0 5
3. Pär Arlbrandt (RW) Linköping 6 2 6 8 1.33 4 5
4. Jason Krog (C) HV71 6 2 5 7 1.17 2 6
5. Oscar Lindberg (C/LW) Skellefteå 6 2 5 7 1.17 4 3
Jason Krog sighting!

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote