Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
And it happens. Which is why I'm fine with the 30K fine. They need to watch where they are tackling but again it doesn't discount that Dobbins made the right decision in tackling Cutler. Just where he tackled Cutler.
You dont tackle high

A tackle involves the mid point of body or lower body ,, No reason for your helmet to be nailing another player

Poor tackling is not an excuse ,,, These guys are professionals and have been playing football for most of there life.

Old
11-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 190
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3121362.story

Coach Ditka suffered minor stroke today

Will not be part of this weekend's football coverage as he recovers

Old
11-16-2012, 08:37 PM
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man

vCash: 500
Get well soon, Coach.

Old
11-16-2012, 09:47 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

I have a framed picture of Ditka flipping off a cameraman as he walks off Soldier Field.

Get well coach

11-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Clowe Me

Dobbins saw an opportunity to hit a vulnerable Cutler, and he took it. The hit was late, and high, but I agree with it just being a fine and not a suspension.

Cutler kind of just stared at his pass and wasn't aware of who was around him. Doesn't make the hit right, but he should have been more aware.

Old
11-16-2012, 11:22 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
You dont tackle high
Most players do though for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
Poor tackling is not an excuse ,,, These guys are professionals and have been playing football for most of there life.
Are you okay with Conte getting fined.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:19 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
get well soon Coach Ditka.

Old
11-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Clowe Me

"Very minor stroke" sounds like a T.I.A. which they usually perscribe baby asparin and the sympoms subside in less than 24 hours.

Old
11-17-2012, 04:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I haven't done this in a few weeks, so I'll cover the 2 of the last 3 weeks of Odd Game Scores here. I'll come back later and either edit this post or post Week 10 later.

Week 8:

Cleveland 7, San Diego 6
In a game that set the NFL back 15 years, the Browns managed one scoring drive, yet beat the Chargers in Cleveland. This game is actually the 48th of all time, but 30 of them were before 1940. The most recent game to end 7-6 was in Dallas in 2009, as they beat the Redskins. In 2004, Byron Leftwich and the Jacksonville Jaguars managed just 8 first downs, but did get into the end zone on a TD catch by Ernest Wilford in a win over the Broncos...

San Diego was involved in what may be the worst QB matchup of all time: Ryan Leaf vs. Donald Hollas (who?). Not sure if it was for injuries, but both QB's were replaced, although the Raiders went 8-8 in a season where Donald Hollas won 4 games. Craig Whelihan replaced Leaf, but neither found the end zone. The man who found the end zone was James Jett, a 68-yard receiving TD from 39-year old Wade Wilson. It was Wilson's only completion of the game on 7 attempts, but he gets credit for a 4th quarter comeback. The Raiders had more points than first downs. San Diego had 9 first downs to the Raiders 6.

One playoff game in the mix: the Steelers beating the playoffs in the divisional round for the 1997 season (1998). Kordell Stewart only completed 14 of 31 passes, but a 40-yard TD run in the 1st quarter was enough as Adam Vinateri only managed 2 field goals. Patriots needed one more. Two other oddities: Kansas City lost by this score twice in 1988, to Houston and Detroit. And this score happened twice on the same day: December 8, 1974 - 49ers over the Packers and the Raiders over Kansas City.

Jerome Bettis played in that Steelers/Patriots playoff game. There's only one other score where both teams combined for 13 points, but neither scored 10 points: the Atlanta Falcons beat the LA Rams 8-5 in 1994. This was the last game the Falcons played in the LA area (Rams were playing in Anaheim at this time). Sean Gilbert sacked Jeff George in the end zone, and the Rams led 2-0 at half time. They added a field goal to make it 5-0 after 3, but Bobby Hebert threw a TD to Ricky Sanders, followed by a 2-point conversion to Terrance Mathis for the 8-5 win. Had the Rams held on, they could have been the 3rd team to win 5-0.

NY Giants 29, Dallas 24
This was the bizarre game where the Giants went up 23-0, and then Dallas came back ahead 24-23, before the Giants won when Dez Bryant couldn't keep his fingernail in bounds.

This game is the 13th game all time, but the most recent one was just last year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
San Diego 29, Denver 24
This is the 12th such game, the last two both occurring in 2008 when the Cardinals beat the 49ers (November), and the Redskins beat the Saints (September). The most well-known game would be the NFC Championship Game in January of 2002 when the Rams beat the Eagles to go on to the Super Bowl. First ever game was the New York Yanks beating the San Francisco 49ers. The Yanks went 7-5-1 this year, which was much better than their other 2 season when they only had 1 win each. How Pro Football could have been different...

Also, the Buffalo Bills lost to Pittsburgh in Week 17 of the 2004 season (1/2/05). The Bills, who were at home, ran off 6 wins in a row after starting 3-6. All they had to do to get into the playoffs was beat a Steelers team with "nothing to play for," (they played their backups), and lost. The Jets, who also lost their last game vs. the Rams, took their place and beat the Chargers before falling to the Steelers themselves.
Chicago 23, Carolina 22
This was the game where Carolina blew the 19-7 lead in the 4th quarter, and the 13th game of this score. The most recent game was also last season. As we learned then, other teams lost with a 19+ point lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Tennessee 23, Houston 22
Jake DeLOLmme gives you #9 of this game score. Most recently, Pittsburgh beat Miami last season. I already mentioned that the Giants blew a 19-3 half time lead to the Vikings in 1997 playoffs. The year before, the Giants blew a 22-0 lead to the Patriots in a 23-22 loss. In 2004, the Giants also lost to the Bengals in a tighter game, that time the Giants only gave up the game-winning touchdown...Odd Game Scores veteran Joe Ferguson shows up rallying his Buffalo Bills from a 19-0 2nd quarter hole against the Vikings in 1982.
Pittsburgh 27, Washington 12
This is the game where the Steelers wore the horrid bumble bee uniforms. At least they get in as the 7th score of All Time. Most recently, Tennessee beat the Saints in 2003. In that game, I'm pretty sure the Saints fumbled the free kick after getting a safety. The Titans, trailing 3-2, turned that game on field position and scored a TD and went on to win...In the first two instances, the Eagles lost as two different incarnations. In 1930, they lost to the Packers as the Frankford Yellow Jackets, and then a MNF loss in 1972 to the Giants...The Dolphins won their first trip to Minnesota since beating them in Super Bowl VIII. In 1979, the Dolphins scored 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter after trailing 12-7 in a 27-12 win. Also: 2 games in 1983: Washington over Kansas City in Week 3, LA Raiders over NY Giants in Week 13.

Green Bay 24, Jacksonville 15
This was the game everyone had to sweat out after picking the Packers in their suicide pools. This game is the 6th all time, and only the Jaguars have dropped road games. In 2001, they lost to the Seahawks...Most recently, the Browns beat the Saints in the Superdome. James Fenderson scored his only NFL TD on a 17-yard run in the 3rd quarter. Saints had 6 turnovers, and their season was falling apart after starting 7-2 (they finished 9-7)...In 1968, the first instance of this score, the Raiders beat the Houston Oilers, despite Raiders QB Daryle Lamonica went just 7 for 22 in the win...In 1995, the Giants beat the Redskins, and in 1998, the Dolphins beat the Colts in Peyton Manning's first NFL game. Manning was 21 of 37 for 302 yards, 1 TD, and 3 INT.

Miami 30, NY Jets 9
I was a little bit surprised, but this is just the 5th game with this score. Most recently, the Packers beat the Redskins in October of 2002. Brett Favre actually got hurt in that game, so Doug Pederson had to play to win...or at least hold on. The Packers were aided by the fact Patrick Ramsay was starting his 2nd NFL game. The Steelers have 2 wins by this score: vs. St. Louis in 1966, and Cincinnati in 1986....In 1985, Eric Hipple of Detroit and Steve DeBerg of Tampa Bay both went 19 for 31, but the Lions (3-1) were good and the Buccaneers stunk and didn't find the end zone, and fell to 0-4.

Tampa Bay 36, Minnesota 17
The Thursday night game gave us the most rare score of Week 8. It was the 4th of all time, and the first since 2009. The Packers beat the Rams, despite Aaron Rodgers only completing 13 passes. It didn't matter though because the Rams QB sitation was terrible, as Kyle Boller replaced Marc Bulger. No shock that the Rams went 1-15...December 12, 2005 was the day the Aaron Brooks era died for the Saints. They lost to the Falcons on MNF during the Katrina season...they also lost to the LA Rams in 1969. Todd Bouman finished out the season for the Saints, and he did well enough in 3 losses never scoring more the 13 points, the the Jaguars signed him about 12 times.

----------

Week 9:

Houston 21, Buffalo 9
This game was the 14th game of All-Time. Right off the jump *AAFC ALERT* Los Angeles Dons beat the Chicago Rockets on October 5, 1946, despite 6 turnovers. In the NFL, the two most recent games were in 2005. Cincinnati won in Baltimore on Week 9, and Pittsburgh beat the Bears in Week 13. The Steelers have two other wins by this score: beating Cincinnati in 1992, and Atlanta in 1990...In 1974, a sign of those times, the Houston Oilers caught 6 passes from Dan Pastorini and Joe Ferguson. Since Ferguson played for the Bills, the Oilers won the game.

Baltimore 25, Cleveland 15
Don't think I've done this with a game being the 3rd of All Time, yet only the 3rd to last on the list, but that's where this game fell. The most recent instance was a Wild Card Game -- the Packers beat the 49ers on January 13, 2005. The scoring got wierd because the Packers missed the PAT on their first TD, and went for 2 on their next TD in the 3rd quarter, despite being up 15-7 before the PAT. They missed, and the 49ers tied the game when Tai Streets caught both the TD and 2-pointer from Jeff Garcia. The Packers answered with 10 more points...The other game was a 49ers win over the Steelers in 1996. This was that weird time for the Steelers where Kordell Stewart wasn't really playing QB, and Mike Tomczak was the starter by default after the Steelers lost in the Super Bowl. Stewart caught a 42-yard TD from Tomczak, which made the score 25-15. 49ers got a safety and missed a PAT, and made it weird.

Tampa Bay 42, Oakland 32
This was the Doug Martin game going crazy on the Raiders. The only other instance of this game was in 2004, and it was so rare that the Bills were scoring 40 points and the Dolphins were giving that up to the Bills. AJ Feely threw 5 interceptions and completed 25 of 51 passes. Pat Williams, he of the Williams Wall, returned one of them for a TD. The Dolphins had 7 turnovers in total.

Chicago 51, Tennessee 20
Never before had a game ended 51-20, before that ****-show in Tennessee. No permutation of a team scoring 51 points has even happened more than 4 times. The last time a team scored 51 points, was the Wild Card Round in the playoffs for the 2009 season, when Karlos Dansby returned an Aaron Rodgers fumble for a TD in OT, which was the 3rd time a game scored 51-45. The Packers were also the most recent team before that to give up exactly 51 points, when they lost to the Saints in 2008 on MNF, 51-29 (only instance).

The highest scoring game with one team scoring 51 points, was in 1983. The Seahawks beat the Chiefs 51-48 in OT. The Seahawks were helped by 3 rushing TD's from Curt Warner, 3 TD's by Dave Krieg, and 3 Norm Johnson 42-yard field goals - one tying the game 48-48, and then the winner in OT. Seattle exploded for 34 points in the 2nd half.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
11-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Bobby G

Ed Reed suspended for a game for his hit to the head last night and being a repeat offender. I've seen A LOT worse hits than his last night

Old
11-19-2012, 05:12 PM
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
"Very minor stroke" sounds like a T.I.A. which they usually perscribe baby asparin and the sympoms subside in less than 24 hours.
Graet news, Coach will appear on Countdown tonight from Chicago. (not sure if just by phone or actually on camera)

Old
11-19-2012, 05:49 PM
HeliDevil
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Didn't Cutler cross the line of scrimmage before he got crushed? At that point he really wasn't even a QB anymore so the same rules shouldn't apply.

But he did launch himself at Cutler and hit him in the head so maybe you give him 15K. I think 30K is too much and he definitely shouldn't be suspended.
Gotta tackle at the hips not the head, even the shoulders would have been better.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:18 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Ed Reed suspended for a game for his hit to the head last night and being a repeat offender. I've seen A LOT worse hits than his last night
Not to mention one of the hits they're citing is from 3 years ago.

I take it if Harrison ever touches anyone in the head again he's basically banned?

Terrible decision.

Ryan Clark's hit's on DHB and Victor Cruz (that concussed both players) don't draw a suspension but that does?

Right.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:09 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Not to mention one of the hits they're citing is from 3 years ago.
Still a repeat offender.

Quote:
I take it if Harrison ever touches anyone in the head again he's basically banned?
Probably a hefty fine and a suspension.

Quote:
Ryan Clark's hit's on DHB and Victor Cruz (that concussed both players) don't draw a suspension but that does?

Right.
His next one might.

As someone said in this thread:

Quote:
You dont tackle high

A tackle involves the mid point of body or lower body ,, No reason for your helmet to be nailing another player

Old
11-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersPens62 View Post
Graet news, Coach will appear on Countdown tonight from Chicago. (not sure if just by phone or actually on camera)
He looked well on tv. With a healthy diet, exercise and an aspirin a day it should not happen again.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:29 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Clark will get suspended if he dishes out another helmet to helmet hit again. Of course if he does it soon it may be a blessing in disguise as hes a walking concussion of late.
Harrison has looked very old of late. Would not shock me if this is his last year in Pittsburgh. IMO

Old
11-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
http://sportsyapper.com/yapp/1353390314040

Quote:
#Bears coach Lovie Smith on Jay Cutler's status for Sunday: "He was feeling a lot better by the end of the week so it's looking good.''

Old
11-20-2012, 11:31 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
After watching wide receiver Plaxico Burress workout today, the Pittsburgh Steelers plan to sign him.

11-20-2012, 12:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Steelers working out Mike Kafka and Brian Hoyer as well.
not suprised in the signing of Burress even tho I am not 100 percent with it. Hes the most talented guy left out there and they are down 2 WR. Not sure of the status of Sanders as well.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Along with Plaxico Burress, Steelers also signed Brian Hoyer as their backup QB.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:42 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Some Patriot fans up here thought Hoyer was the 2nd best QB in the division when he was in NE.
In all seriousness he is probably an upgrade to what they have at backup QB.
Burress will help a depleted WR core. Will Batch be able get the ball to them? thats another story.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

I can definitely see Hoyer sticking around past this season since I don't see either Steelers back-up QB returning (they both need to retire), but hopefully he doesn't get into any action this year.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
11-20-2012, 01:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

At least Hoyer isnt made of glass. He would be a better option to turn to behind Roethlisberger.
I cant believe I am hearing Ben may be back after the Ravens game on Dec. 1. Everything I read said 6 weeks for the dislocated rib.

Old
11-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'd feel a lot worse after watching Carimi, Webb and Rachal last night.....

Old
11-20-2012, 02:33 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Darin Gantt ‏@daringantt
Raiders cut Aaron Curry, "safest pick" of '09 draft. Go back and look at this mess. Are there a dozen good players? http://on.nfl.com/SOJtbW

That draft was pretty awful.

Closed Thread