HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery and Smoke to the Mechanics.

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2005, 09:49 AM
guzmania

vCash: 500
Avery and Smoke to the Mechanics.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...ight&type=lgns

Motor city mayhem! Let's get a USHL team for next year! Sign Bertuzzi, Peca, Frolov, Ziggy, and Blake.

Last edited by guzmania: 02-11-2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old
02-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
It amazes me that they guys are opposed to a cap , yet they all play in leagues with caps where they get paid peanuts.

Old
02-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Jungle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
It amazes me that they guys are opposed to a cap , yet they all play in leagues with caps where they get paid peanuts.
100% right

Old
02-11-2005, 11:44 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=128814

apparently Avery said this in a FAN 590 interview, from link above:

Interviewer: "How do you feel about taking the job of a guy in the minor leagues who makes $500 bucks a week?"

Avery: "If he doesnt want me to take his job he should work harder. Work harder until he's good enough to make the NHL then I wont be able to take his job."

I: "What do you think about maybe getting rid of some of the smaller market teams, the weaker links?"

A: "You know what they should get rid of is all the mediocre Europeans who come over here to play. There's alot of mediocre Europeans in the NHL."

Old
02-11-2005, 11:44 AM
guzmania

Quote:
It has to do with players perception of the ability of the owners to pay for the contracts negotiated (the owners obviously thought they could pay too or they wouldn't have offered the contracts) and the take it or leave it attitude Bettman came into these discussions with, (ill-conceived). I'm the kind of person that will cut off my nose to spite my face if I perceive I am being forced into an unpleasant situation. I understand the players attitude perfectly, these guys love to play and they've been locked out, they will play somewhere. Soon the losses of the owners will be greater than the tax advantages gained by these losses and the league will wither. So unless you're willing to pay big bux to see USHL players, in Kings Unis, in the spectacular Staples Center (with all the addenda claptrap which that venue brings) the NHL is over. The King is dead, long live the King. Personally, I've vowed to not give one red cent to ANY owner for 3 times the length of the lockout. That includes Mr. Anchutz' movie theaters, his Tennis center, his Soccer stadium, et al. That's just me though, cutting off my nose...

Old
02-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19

Interviewer: "How do you feel about taking the job of a guy in the minor leagues who makes $500 bucks a week?"

Avery: "If he doesnt want me to take his job he should work harder. Work harder until he's good enough to make the NHL then I wont be able to take his job."

I: "What do you think about maybe getting rid of some of the smaller market teams, the weaker links?"

A: "You know what they should get rid of is all the mediocre Europeans who come over here to play. There's alot of mediocre Europeans in the NHL."
Reading that thread , people need to remember Avery's biggest talent is getting under people's skin.

Old
02-11-2005, 12:31 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Reading that thread , people need to remember Avery's biggest talent is getting under people's skin.
People talk about his playing skills.. He's actually a pretty good player. He has skill other than getting under peoples skin.

Old
02-11-2005, 12:45 PM
GUIDO OHASIS

vCash:
Quote:

its true there are to many crappy euro's in the league, theres to many crappy NA's too.

Old
02-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:

Sean is a good player, but it would be better he keeps his mouth shut.

Old
02-11-2005, 02:51 PM
DropThePuck

The players are hypocrites plain and simple. They are also undermining their own cause. Why should the owners give in when the players are proving that they will play for the love of the game. I like avery but that is a bs comment to make. He is taking someone else's job and that is wrong. The NHL players are basically being scabs, then will cry bloody murder when the NHL brings in replacement players. I can't wait for the quotes. Replacement player, "Maybe when avery is willing to play for a measly $1.8 million he can have my job."

Old
02-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Venom_17

Remember those people that say Sean was a bad dressing room guy? Apparently everyone one the Red Wings hates Sean...which would explain why he signed on a team that has Chelios, Hatcher, and Draper. So much for him being a "bad dressing room guy."

Old
02-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Venom_17

Scabs cross the picket line at their own job, they don't look for employment elsewhere. These guys are not scabs! They may be engaging in questionable tactics to some of you, but they are not technically "scabs" if you want to toss that phrase around. If there are replacement players in the NHL, they will be scabs.

Scabs undercut their union by undermining all the work that has been done between management and the player reps. When Goodenow says "find jobs elsewhere" this undercuts the whole scab theory. Why would a union boss encourage players to be scabs? It makes no sense at all to call the players scabs. The term "scab" should be used properly. When people like Hirch use it after hearing it in the movie Hoffa or something, it just makes them look uneducated.

I might be the minority, but I fail to see the problem with this...it is free market economics, plain and simple. Jobs aren't guaranteed. These guys aren't scabbing the UHL. If you are in the UHL, how much are you making? 30 g's maybe? Go work at 7-11. If someone comes to your 7-11 and takes your job because they are better than you, I don't hear anyone complaining about that. These UHL characters are getting paid to play hockey. That's a gift. I don't care if some guy like Sean bounces them. If someone paid me to play hockey, which would never happen, I wouldn't whine and complain because there are better players than me.

And I am not sure if Sean has made strong comments about the salary cap. If he hasn't, or doesn't have feelings supporting it, he is not a hypocrite. A player can be supportive of a salary cap. I believe that a player like Sean would vote in favour of a cap. So how does that make these guys hypocrites? If he has opposed it, he IS a hypocrite. But that is why we should let the players vote - I think it would get passed.

Old
02-11-2005, 04:58 PM
DropThePuck

No they are not technically scabs but that is why I said basically. What they are is a bunch of job stealing, hypocrites. I have a little respect for the players who are standing their ground and not playing. Those who are playing I have no respect for. And don't start with the free market crap. What they are doing is so wrong that if you fail to see it I feel bad for you. If they are standing on moral ground that a cap would damage their future and future players, then don't play for leagues that have a cap. Don't take the job of a future player making $500 a month to play when you refuse to play for millions. I don't want to come across as pro player. I personally think both sides are at fault. The NHL is playing the game as much if not more than the NHLPA. I said it in another post, the NHL is just playing it better. The PR game and possible impasse game are being won by Bettman and Co. I don't think anyone is right, the whole thing just makes me sick to my stomach.

Old
02-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Venom_17

I agree that both sides are acting like jackasses. If you want to talk about Hatcher and these guys making multi-million dollars per annum, I can agree with you on that point - that they are stealing jobs.

But these lower end NHLers making less than a million a year...how long can they last without a league? Every low-end NHLer that has spoken up has said they would support the cap, more or less. So if they play in a league with the a cap they are not being hypocritical...unless they support the cap.

And this free market stuff...is the truth. Morally wrong or not, it is the truth. It is economics, plain and simple. The world is not a nice place. I'm not saying what they are doing is right...but it DOES happen to everyone else in Canada, U.S., and most Euro countries. What is the difference between the fry cook at McDonald's being fired when someone better comes along and a player in the UHL? Besides $$$, since that is all relative to the impugned position that is being filled and the person who is filling it.

The fact of the matter is there is no difference. It is the way our economy works. No one said it was moral or fair!

Old
02-11-2005, 06:54 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUIDO OHASIS
its true there are to many crappy euro's in the league, theres to many crappy NA's too.
I do agree with him to a point.

If they are going to come over to North America to play hockey only to be a third or fourth line grinder, whats the point?

Old
02-11-2005, 07:12 PM
cassius

I don't understand why a middle of the road player such as Avery is so ardently opposed to a cap.

Sounds like the Unions brainwashing tactics..

Old
02-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17
Remember those people that say Sean was a bad dressing room guy? Apparently everyone one the Red Wings hates Sean...which would explain why he signed on a team that has Chelios, Hatcher, and Draper. So much for him being a "bad dressing room guy."
They wanted their "puppy" back :lol Sounds like it will be a cool team to watch anyhow!

Old
02-12-2005, 06:50 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17
Some of the UHL players might take Avery's comments as being directed at them. Hell, some of them may interpret what Avery said as they suck, he doesn't, so he's in. Some of the guys in his own dressing room might take his comments as being directed at them especially the ones that will be taking a back-seat and perhaps some of their friends on the team. Stupid move on Avery's part and an even dumber move by the Mechanics to sign all the NHL guys. I wonder if they are going to require them to attend ALL away games? I seriously doubt it. Great way to sustain chemistry in the room. Bring in some "chosen" ones and basically let them dump on the players already in their system...Sounds like Avery's been listening to Freddie Mitchell recently...

Last edited by King Blazer: 02-12-2005 at 06:56 AM.
Old
02-12-2005, 08:40 AM
Glockaxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropThePuck
The players are hypocrites plain and simple. They are also undermining their own cause. Why should the owners give in when the players are proving that they will play for the love of the game. I like avery but that is a bs comment to make. He is taking someone else's job and that is wrong. The NHL players are basically being scabs, then will cry bloody murder when the NHL brings in replacement players. I can't wait for the quotes. Replacement player, "Maybe when avery is willing to play for a measly $1.8 million he can have my job."

Yeah, what an idiot. He couldn't hack it in Europe (left w/o warning--very smooth ) and now he's talking crap about a lower league where people do play to support their families under a cap system. Why doesn't he go back to his high school, take a roster spot from a teenager, and finally get his diploma? It seems he is credit deficient in Ethics 101 and coothness 105.

Closed Thread