HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Short Lockout Might Be Good For Us

Old
09-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
A Short Lockout Might Be Good For Us

The season starting in late October/early November might be pretty good for us I'm thinking.

Obviously I hate that the season probably won't be starting on time, but I guess I'm looking at any silver lining here.

It would give Taylor Hall a good 3-4 extra weeks to heal up, because it sounds like every time we've had a player go through that labrum shoulder surgery (Horcoff, Hemsky, Souray), they're never really 100% at the start of the season and really should rest an extra month or so.

A shorter season might favor our younger legs too (more games in a compacted time frame ala the NBA season last year) and hurt older teams.

Oh well. Still hoping for the season to start with only a minor delay, I really don't want to wait until US Thanksgiving or December for NHL hockey

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 05:53 PM
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!

vCash: 50
Maybe Horcoff and Smyth would burn out in January instead of November.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Maybe Horcoff and Smyth would burn out in January instead of November.
Maybe that too, lol, though to be fair to Smyth, he was going good until about the mid way point of the season.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 06:04 PM
rockinghockey

I like the idea of giving Hall a bit longer to recover and even Hemsky to make sure that he comes into the season healthy. What is the deal with Horc did he have a bad shoulder is that why he was so bad in the dot in the last half of the season.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I like the idea of giving Hall a bit longer to recover and even Hemsky to make sure that he comes into the season healthy. What is the deal with Horc did he have a bad shoulder is that why he was so bad in the dot in the last half of the season.
That's correct. I think he injured it in the Buffalo or Chicago game in early January.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 06:28 PM
mcjukon
#McNailedIt

Can't... wait... for.. hockey..
RNH.. Eberlel... Hall... Yakupov.. Schultz.. Paajarvi..
omg..

mcjukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 06:50 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

The standard response is "Horc sucks & blows"... no further explanation is required or warranted.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
I like your optimism about a late october/november start, but I'm far less optimistic than that. We'll be lucky if we see hockey before December, I would imagine. I get the impression that the PA and the NHL are on different sides of the spectrum on a lot of issues.

Wheathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Moneypuck

50 game season starting after Christmas would be optimal for the Oilers. Everyone would be 100% and hungry.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The season starting in late October/early November might be pretty good for us I'm thinking.

Obviously I hate that the season probably won't be starting on time, but I guess I'm looking at any silver lining here.

It would give Taylor Hall a good 3-4 extra weeks to heal up, because it sounds like every time we've had a player go through that labrum shoulder surgery (Horcoff, Hemsky, Souray), they're never really 100% at the start of the season and really should rest an extra month or so.

A shorter season might favor our younger legs too (more games in a compacted time frame ala the NBA season last year) and hurt older teams.

Oh well. Still hoping for the season to start with only a minor delay, I really don't want to wait until US Thanksgiving or December for NHL hockey

I agree with all except paragraph 3 Celtics, and Spurs thrived in a condensed season.

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Meh. A lockout isn't good for anybody. If they dare to lockout for any length of time I'm ignoring the entire NHL season and focusing on the Oil Kings.

I'm tired of hockey players carrying around a reputation as "good guys" in the realm of professional sports because they're not. They're assclowns. The NHL is generally considered a joke down south and hopefully a second lockout in less than seven years opens everybody's eyes. It's beyond pathetic.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

a short lockout isn't good for anybody, it's ********.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

Old
09-04-2012, 08:22 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 785
I was convinced for a while there would be a short lockout, but not much more, and it wouldn't be so bad... now I am genuinely concerned that we'll lose a full season. I'm 50/50 whether there will be hockey this year, honestly.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 08:40 PM
40oz

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 08:42 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Meh. A lockout isn't good for anybody. If they dare to lockout for any length of time I'm ignoring the entire NHL season and focusing on the Oil Kings.

I'm tired of hockey players carrying around a reputation as "good guys" in the realm of professional sports because they're not. They're assclowns. The NHL is generally considered a joke down south and hopefully a second lockout in less than seven years opens everybody's eyes. It's beyond pathetic.
They're assclowns because they don't want to take a huge pay cut when the league is making record profits? Or just because you feel entitled to watch them and you can't?

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
They're assclowns because they don't want to take a huge pay cut when the league is making record profits? Or just because you feel entitled to watch them and you can't?

Old
09-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
At the end of the day, the average NHL players salary is over two million a year.
The players feel like they need to make the lions of share of league revenue because ... why exactly?
Without the investors (read: owners) putting forth THEIR hundreds of millions of dollars, nobody is making ****. These players (and I puke in my mouth when I see ****ing mathieu darche as the player rep at some of these meetings...) need to get a grip and realize they are being paid, well, to play a game they love - and the only reason they are able to do this for a living is on the backs of the owners investments.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:15 PM
lakai17

it will definitely benefit young guns like Paajarvi, J.Schultz, Yakupov and Hartikainen as they will be NHL regulars, plus other young guns providing them with more stiff competition in the AHL on an already great young team in OKC.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:19 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
Quote:
yep this is my reaction. A lockout that costs from one game to 32 games hurts the league

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:29 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
At the end of the day, the average NHL players salary is over two million a year.
The players feel like they need to make the lions of share of league revenue because ... why exactly?
Without the investors (read: owners) putting forth THEIR hundreds of millions of dollars, nobody is making ****. These players (and I puke in my mouth when I see ****ing mathieu darche as the player rep at some of these meetings...) need to get a grip and realize they are being paid, well, to play a game they love - and the only reason they are able to do this for a living is on the backs of the owners investments.
At the end of the day, there's no NHL without the best players in the world and they deserve to make a pile of money because of this. They're not just the employees-- they're the product. And anyway, it's not even like they're asking for a raise, just less of a reduction in pay. What about that tells you they need to 'get a grip'?

Old
09-04-2012, 09:33 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
That's exactly what I think when I hear the New York lawyer representing the interests of a consortium of billionaire owners talk.

Old
09-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

Yup, those are my thoughts as well. Hall has a "put me in coach" attitude. No matter what, he would say he's 100% at the start of the season. If a lockout forces him to heal a while longer, that wouldnt be so bad. Thats about the only silver lining there is though.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Cawz

Quote:
At the end of the day, there's no NHL without the best players in the world and they deserve to make a pile of money because of this. They're not just the employees-- they're the product. And anyway, it's not even like they're asking for a raise, just less of a reduction in pay. What about that tells you they need to 'get a grip'?
Last I checked, theyre not even asking for anything right now. Theyre just sitting and waiting.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2012, 09:42 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

But with Hall, given his age, I'd hope he'd be 100% by now.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote