HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Which teams have a dman available and which teams would want him?

Old
09-04-2012, 11:55 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Buffalo has Leopold and Sekera available as well as prospect D-men.
I wouldn't call Sekera available, sorry.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:14 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBeautiful View Post
I'm starting to think that Ballard may not be available as everyone thinks, at least not for "pretty cheap". When acquired he cost the Canucks a 1st round pick (Howden) another 1st rounder (Grabner) and another former 1st rounder (Bernier) that cost the Canucks a 3rd in 2009 and a 2nd in 2010. Like it or not, today, right now, Ballard is our 5th best Dman, top 4 on some teams. It'd be piss poor asset management trade him for some other salary dump or a late round pick, I can't see Gillis letting him go for a fraction of what it took to acquire him when his value is so low especially with the way the Canuck's lose Dman through injury, we always seem to need the depth.
I agree that we shouldn't move Ballard over nothing, but if the cap goes down then we'll certainly need to move him. Better to do it now than when the changes actually take place and GMMG is stuck having to dump him within 48 hours.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:17 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
If Edmonton's brass is completely sold on Schultz being the real deal Whitney would be available. Can't imagine how low his value would be, though. He's on the last year of his contract, so the classic "negative value" response wouldn't exactly work.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Exit Dose

Lubo had his hearing, today. Depending on the outcome of that, he'll be available.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:36 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Lubo had his hearing, today. Depending on the outcome of that, he'll be available.
Depending on the outcome, the Isles could be in need of one. I think Rozival as a free agent would be an option and depending on price Ballard would be a logical trade option; but again that would be contingent on price.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:38 AM
MalcontentCapsFan

Caps have too many Dmen but the only ones anyone wants, aren't going to be traded.

MalcontentCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 12:41 AM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I wouldn't call Sekera available, sorry.
With the right return, I'd say he is. I would give from a position of strength to improve an area of weakness. Maybe something around Sekera for Paajarvi.

CraniumCram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:09 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
I disagree.....McNabb is ready to play at the NHL level....he is fine as the roster 7 D-men on it. They don;t need to acquire another expensive veteran Dman.
There aren't 7 good d men on it though.
Leopold-Myers
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Regehr-Sekera
Weber
Pardy

The bolded have major question marks, plus injuries happen. Remember how last year we only won something sad like 20% our games when either or Ehrhoff or Myers was missing from the line-up? Yeah, I'm not in any hurry to move a vet we know can handle a lot of minutes when Sulzer could easily play his way off the roster or someone could miss time with injury.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 01:11 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
With the right return, I'd say he is. I would give from a position of strength to improve an area of weakness. Maybe something around Sekera for Paajarvi.
We're lacking 2nd/3rd line tweeners? Sorry, I like Paajarvi, but I'd much rather keep Sekera.

Old
09-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLinePlug View Post
Sharks looking to move Murray i believe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Yup. Murray is available.
Does Murray play the right side? I could see the Leafs possibly being interested if they feel that Komisarek is better suited in the press box and Murray could be had for a good price.

Kbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:14 AM
trenchard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Avs are pretty likely to move someone, the question is who.

The top candidates would be O'Byrne, Hejda or Hunwick for various reasons. But we're not desperately trying to pawn them off either, especially O'Byrne.
You want to move Hejda? One of the best defensive Dman in NHL?

trenchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:48 AM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
Does Murray play the right side? I could see the Leafs possibly being interested if they feel that Komisarek is better suited in the press box and Murray could be had for a good price.
As far as I can remember, Murray has been a left-side D his whole career. It's the one thing that makes him somewhat less movable for the Sharks. They have a ton of right-side, but not enough left-side. They were hard-enough up that they started trying to convert Demers to left-side last year, which didn't help with his struggles (although he did not play the whole year on left-side).

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 02:52 AM
Ho Borvat

I think Ballard is much less available than us Canucks fans make him out to be.

We really dont have a replacement who I would e comfortable playing 82 games (Alberts, Joslin, Connauton).

Yes he is slightly overpaid, and stuck on the 3rd pairing, but we really dont have anyone else ready to step into a top 4 role if we run into injuries (aside from Tanev)

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 03:37 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Smid, Schultz, Peckham, Sutton, Teubert etc. for defensive dmen is probably set. Yes they could upgrade....but they probably aren't desperate.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 04:43 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
It seems that there are quite a few teams that need a top 4 shut down dman.

Which team has a dman available and what would your team that needs a dman give up for him?

EDM is looking for a shutdown dman that can get the puck out of their end also?
PHI needs a dman since Pronger is gone and Coburn is gone?
Who else needs a dman and what are they willing to give?
What it sounds like Tambo is happy with what he has and the asking price to sign or trade is too high and wouldn't make sense for the Oilers right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phaneuf View Post
OP means Carle or Meszaros.

I have a perfect fit for Edmonton - Mike Komisarek. What do ya offer Oilers fans?
Not interested in the Leafs scraps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
If Edmonton's brass is completely sold on Schultz being the real deal Whitney would be available. Can't imagine how low his value would be, though. He's on the last year of his contract, so the classic "negative value" response wouldn't exactly work.
Whitney will not be traded until he can show he has recovered from his injuries. If he has recovered his value would increase and would be a benefit for the Oilers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post
The Oilers are very high on Paajarvi, especially after his performance in the AHL play-offs last season. If he is traded, it will be in a package for a top pair D and not for a soft D like Sekera.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 05:10 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
I agree that we shouldn't move Ballard over nothing, but if the cap goes down then we'll certainly need to move him. Better to do it now than when the changes actually take place and GMMG is stuck having to dump him within 48 hours.
In that case we better trade Luongo too.

I think it'd be really stupid to make trades assuming the CBA will go down and there will be no cap relief in the form of a rollback or something similar.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:12 AM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Yeah, the Devils will be selling a defenseman. Most likely Tallinder.

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 06:27 AM
seanlinden

Toronto would be looking for a top 4 shutdown guy, and have Franson available (who's obviously not a shutdown guy) if they can get one.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:40 AM
jroc86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
It seems that there are quite a few teams that need a top 4 shut down dman.

Which team has a dman available and what would your team that needs a dman give up for him?

EDM is looking for a shutdown dman that can get the puck out of their end also?
PHI needs a dman since Pronger is gone and Coburn is gone?
Who else needs a dman and what are they willing to give?
Coburn gone? Pronger is LTIR, Carle is gone, Mezaros + Lilja are hurt long-term, and Timmonen is a UFA next summer.

Detroit lost Stuart and Lids - Brendan Smith will be given the reings full time but a big bodied shutdown guy to take Stuarts role would be the best addition we could get.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:44 AM
jroc86

Robyn Regehr would be moveable IMO. He had a terrible season last year and is overpaid @ 4 mill a season and is a UFA next summer. Hes also only 32 and likely has a solid 4-6 years left and would be a good depth veteran on any team that needs it.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 07:52 AM
TOGuy14

Toronto has Franson who would be available for the right package / player.

Currently we have enough offensive guys on the back end with Phaneuf, Liles and Gardiner.

If we could move Franson for an elite third pairing shut down d-man, or 3rd line defensive winger I would make that move comfortably.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:08 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc86 View Post
Robyn Regehr would be moveable IMO. He had a terrible season last year and is overpaid @ 4 mill a season and is a UFA next summer. Hes also only 32 and likely has a solid 4-6 years left and would be a good depth veteran on any team that needs it.
No he didn't have a terrible season last year. He may have slowed down a bit, but he did his job as a hard nosed, stay at home d-man with leadership. His preence is very important to Myers to round out the edge to his game and as an example to McNabb, who will likely be his heir apparant.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 08:47 AM
johnsic

Caps have too many dmen under contract.

Mike Green
Roman Hamrlik
Dmitri Orlov
John Carlson
Karl Alzner
Jeff Schultz
John Erskine
Jack Hillen
Tom Poti is probably done and LTIR.

Maybe Erskine or Schultz is available.

johnsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Devils have a plethora of NHL DMen and DMen prospects

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2012, 09:11 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc86 View Post
Nope. Didn't have a bad year at all. In fact, Sekera emerged as a very good shutdown d-man last year having him as his partner. Coincidence? I'm gonna go with "no". Also, he brings much-needed toughness and leadership to our blue line and is a great example for Myers and McNabb.

ETA: It was also a huuuge deal for Buffalo when he decided to waive his NMC to come here after initially rejecting the trade. There's no way he'd agree to move his family again so soon, and it would definitely not help Buffalo's reputation amongst players.

Last edited by tsujimoto74: 09-05-2012 at 10:03 AM.