HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Lockout Discussion Thread (Part II)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-18-2012, 10:36 AM
  #676
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,867
vCash: 500
From: @RandyJMiller
Sent: Sep 18, 2012 9:50a

It's believed #Flyers players are getting discounted rate to rent Skate Zone, but rink manager only would say public rate is $370 per hour.

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/RandyJMiller/stat...56388490780673

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 10:37 AM
  #677
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,867
vCash: 500
From: @Dave_Stubbs
Sent: Sep 18, 2012 9:52a

@RandyJMiller @tpanotchCSN #Habs players get ice for $225 per daytime hour up here. Tell #Flyers they're being ripped off at $370/hour!

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/Dave_Stubbs/statu...57003950358528

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 10:38 AM
  #678
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,867
vCash: 500
How much is Dolan charging the Rangers players? $1?

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 10:39 AM
  #679
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,015
vCash: 500
The players are not unified! If they were, the stars would not be playing over in Europe continuing to get a paycheck leaving behind the 3 rd and 4th line players who are not wanted in Europe and now get no paycheck. If those 3rd and 4th line guys where smart they would tell the union to get a deal now before their short careers become even shorter.


Last edited by bubba5: 09-18-2012 at 12:02 PM.
bubba5 is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 11:01 AM
  #680
PassShootScore
208 Row 18
 
PassShootScore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 647
vCash: 500
is the idea on twitter of the owners getting "replacement players" even a possibility?

PassShootScore is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 11:13 AM
  #681
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassShootScore View Post
is the idea on twitter of the owners getting "replacement players" even a possibility?
How is that supposed to work? Cloning?

jniklast is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 11:15 AM
  #682
PassShootScore
208 Row 18
 
PassShootScore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
How is that supposed to work? Cloning?
haha i have no idea

PassShootScore is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 11:26 AM
  #683
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 50
I have a better idea, how about replacement owners?

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 11:39 AM
  #684
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,732
vCash: 910
Awards:
If the league declared an impasse, they could try to use replacements. Canadian labor law is much more stringent than in America, so that would be a tough sell.

I believe Canadian law also prohibits the use of scabs from outside the country. You'd have to be a Canadian citizen to play for the Leafs, for example. Remember the baseball strike in 1994? The Blue Jays had to play home games in Florida because replacement players weren't allowed in Ontario, nor were umpires. There's just no way it would work in hockey.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now  
Old
09-18-2012, 11:52 AM
  #685
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
It would be great is some people from this forum suited up as replacements. I'd go see that! Usernames only on the back of your sweaters though.

I'm lucky enough to have an AHL team here in Providence. For the money I WOULD have spent on Center Ice ($155), I can get a package with (8) game tickets + (2) tickets to the AHL All Star game and skills competition. That should be enough of a hockey fix to get me through the winter if necessary.

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 11:54 AM
  #686
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If the league declared an impasse, they could try to use replacements. Canadian labor law is much more stringent than in America, so that would be a tough sell.

I believe Canadian law also prohibits the use of scabs from outside the country. You'd have to be a Canadian citizen to play for the Leafs, for example. Remember the baseball strike in 1994? The Blue Jays had to play home games in Florida because replacement players weren't allowed in Ontario, nor were umpires. There's just no way it would work in hockey.
It's a non issue because where are they going to find 700 players? And even if they did, I'm not watching so there's no point in the NHL doing that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
I have a better idea, how about replacement owners?
This.

RGY is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 11:55 AM
  #687
PassShootScore
208 Row 18
 
PassShootScore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 647
vCash: 500
“@LouisJean_TVA: Am told the NHL has given "no consideration" to using replacement players but it can be achieved. Not w/o a legal fight, however. #CBA.”

PassShootScore is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 12:02 PM
  #688
Vito Andolini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
The players are not unified! If they were, the stars would not be playing over in Europe continuing to get a paycheck leaving begins the 3 rd and 4th line players who are not wanted in Europe and now get no paycheck. If those 3rd and 4th line guys where smart they would tell the union to get a deal now before their short careers become even shorter.
Disagree. One of the biggest pieces of leverage that players have is their right to play in another league. If they were smart and really unionized, they would band together the top 100 or so players in the NHL and all go to a specific league in Europe or wherever. Bring the NHL's talent to another league and generate a buzz while the NHL's owners keep their arenas empty.

Vito Andolini is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 12:13 PM
  #689
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassShootScore View Post
@LouisJean_TVA: Am told the NHL has given "no consideration" to using replacement players but it can be achieved. Not w/o a legal fight, however. #CBA.
So what kind of "replacement players" are we talking about? The zamboni driver lacing 'em up or simply ECHL scrubs?

I can't imagine any way how the NHL could come up with 600 replacement players and anybody would still want to watch it.

jniklast is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 12:48 PM
  #690
CostaTheCrazyGreek
Registered User
 
CostaTheCrazyGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Selden, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CostaTheCrazyGreek Send a message via Yahoo to CostaTheCrazyGreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They get bucks from me because I have no choice but to get Cablevision.
Me too, but I know how to milk it for everything, especially internet.

CostaTheCrazyGreek is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 12:59 PM
  #691
rangerfan_79
Registered User
 
rangerfan_79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 541
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
So what kind of "replacement players" are we talking about? The zamboni driver lacing 'em up or simply ECHL scrubs?

I can't imagine any way how the NHL could come up with 600 replacement players and anybody would still want to watch it.
If they water down the product any more it won't be worth the time to tune in on the TV. The game got borderline (un)watchable between the league expanding and the terrible officiating. The owners stopped caring about the fans a long time ago and it shows.

rangerfan_79 is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 01:13 PM
  #692
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan_79 View Post
The owners stopped caring about the fans a long time ago and it shows.
IMO it's more like the owners have had NFL/MLB/NBA envy. They need to live within their means and realize that hockey is a smaller market sport and have to give it time to grow. A lockout is the opposite what's needed to do that

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 02:44 PM
  #693
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
IMO it's more like the owners have had NFL/MLB/NBA envy. They need to live within their means and realize that hockey is a smaller market sport and have to give it time to grow. A lockout is the opposite what's needed to do that
Or accept the fact that it won't.

Mr Atoz* is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 02:54 PM
  #694
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Disagree. One of the biggest pieces of leverage that players have is their right to play in another league. If they were smart and really unionized, they would band together the top 100 or so players in the NHL and all go to a specific league in Europe or wherever. Bring the NHL's talent to another league and generate a buzz while the NHL's owners keep their arenas empty.
So are these High profile players who don't need the cash right now donating to the Union brothers who will be hurting to pay the bills????? I think not. It's all about the stars!

bubba5 is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 03:02 PM
  #695
NYR2047
Moderator
WebMD Trained Doctor
 
NYR2047's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,788
vCash: 500
hey if they need replacement players i played in high school does that count?

NYR2047 is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 03:04 PM
  #696
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,570
vCash: 500
If you all really want to feel bad for someone, feel bad for the team employees who get screwed while the millionaires duke it out. If you're lucky enough not to be laid off, then you're likely facing shorter work weeks and lower pay.

It's not about the people who play and get paid, the people who cut the checks, or the people like us who "enjoy" the game in their free time. The people who get **** on are the people who truly depend on this game to get by.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 03:42 PM
  #697
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If you all really want to feel bad for someone, feel bad for the team employees who get screwed while the millionaires duke it out. If you're lucky enough not to be laid off, then you're likely facing shorter work weeks and lower pay.

It's not about the people who play and get paid, the people who cut the checks, or the people like us who "enjoy" the game in their free time. The people who get **** on are the people who truly depend on this game to get by.
You hit the nail on the head right here. And the majority of those people aren't fans of the game.

So, when I see the 'oh, whoa is me, the poor fan's' posts, something like this really puts things in perspective.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 03:43 PM
  #698
Kreider Typical
flex
 
Kreider Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If you all really want to feel bad for someone, feel bad for the team employees who get screwed while the millionaires duke it out. If you're lucky enough not to be laid off, then you're likely facing shorter work weeks and lower pay.

It's not about the people who play and get paid, the people who cut the checks, or the people like us who "enjoy" the game in their free time. The people who get **** on are the people who truly depend on this game to get by.
i was thinking about this the other day and it's really true. they're the ones that get screwed by this.

Kreider Typical is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 03:52 PM
  #699
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Don Fehr thinks this is major league baseball and the owners are hiding hundreds of millions of dollars. He is sorely mistaken
Oh come off it already. That's just bad mouthing. Fehr is hardly acting like its mlb and it's common business practice to transfer loses from one arm of a corporation to another. Fehr isn't even denying team losses.

DutchShamrock is offline  
Old
09-18-2012, 03:54 PM
  #700
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You hit the nail on the head right here. And the majority of those people aren't fans of the game.

So, when I see the 'oh, whoa is me, the poor fan's' posts, something like this really puts things in perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
i was thinking about this the other day and it's really true. they're the ones that get screwed by this.
I have a good friend who works within an NHL organization. He had his first child 6 months ago and his wife left her job to take care of the baby because day care wasn't an option for them financially. So far he's been assured nobody will be laid off, but they didn't rule out pay retractions. That's three days into the lockout. Who knows what will happen if this drags on for months and months?

Some teams have already dropped the ax on several people:

Quote:
The Florida Panthers announced on Tuesday that they are already trimming down their budget. That means parting way with employees and scaling back how much others work and thus get paid.
The Senators have also laid off 10+ people.

Quote:
"Every full-time, every part-time employee is affected by a work stoppage," [team president Cyril] Leeder told the AP (via Sporting News). "On the full-time employees, they've either been laid off temporarily or gone to a four-day work week."
Full article.

If fans wanted to do something meaningful, they'd organize a fund for the people who are put out of work because of this.

Trxjw is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.