HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Lockout Discussion Thread (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 10:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Sent: Sep 18, 2012 9:50a

It's believed #Flyers players are getting discounted rate to rent Skate Zone, but rink manager only would say public rate is $370 per hour.

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/RandyJMiller/stat...56388490780673

Old
09-18-2012, 10:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Sep 18, 2012 9:52a

@RandyJMiller @tpanotchCSN #Habs players get ice for $225 per daytime hour up here. Tell #Flyers they're being ripped off at $370/hour!

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/Dave_Stubbs/statu...57003950358528

Old
09-18-2012, 10:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

How much is Dolan charging the Rangers players? $1?

Old
09-18-2012, 10:39 AM
bubba5

The players are not unified! If they were, the stars would not be playing over in Europe continuing to get a paycheck leaving behind the 3 rd and 4th line players who are not wanted in Europe and now get no paycheck. If those 3rd and 4th line guys where smart they would tell the union to get a deal now before their short careers become even shorter.

Last edited by bubba5: 09-18-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old
09-18-2012, 11:01 AM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

is the idea on twitter of the owners getting "replacement players" even a possibility?

Old
09-18-2012, 11:13 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassShootScore View Post
is the idea on twitter of the owners getting "replacement players" even a possibility?
How is that supposed to work? Cloning?

Old
09-18-2012, 11:15 AM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
How is that supposed to work? Cloning?
haha i have no idea

Old
09-18-2012, 11:26 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
I have a better idea, how about replacement owners?

Old
09-18-2012, 11:39 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
If the league declared an impasse, they could try to use replacements. Canadian labor law is much more stringent than in America, so that would be a tough sell.

I believe Canadian law also prohibits the use of scabs from outside the country. You'd have to be a Canadian citizen to play for the Leafs, for example. Remember the baseball strike in 1994? The Blue Jays had to play home games in Florida because replacement players weren't allowed in Ontario, nor were umpires. There's just no way it would work in hockey.

It's just pain.
Old
09-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Melrose_Jr.

It would be great is some people from this forum suited up as replacements. I'd go see that! Usernames only on the back of your sweaters though.

I'm lucky enough to have an AHL team here in Providence. For the money I WOULD have spent on Center Ice ($155), I can get a package with (8) game tickets + (2) tickets to the AHL All Star game and skills competition. That should be enough of a hockey fix to get me through the winter if necessary.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:54 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If the league declared an impasse, they could try to use replacements. Canadian labor law is much more stringent than in America, so that would be a tough sell.

I believe Canadian law also prohibits the use of scabs from outside the country. You'd have to be a Canadian citizen to play for the Leafs, for example. Remember the baseball strike in 1994? The Blue Jays had to play home games in Florida because replacement players weren't allowed in Ontario, nor were umpires. There's just no way it would work in hockey.
It's a non issue because where are they going to find 700 players? And even if they did, I'm not watching so there's no point in the NHL doing that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
I have a better idea, how about replacement owners?
This.

Old
09-18-2012, 11:55 AM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

“@LouisJean_TVA: Am told the NHL has given "no consideration" to using replacement players but it can be achieved. Not w/o a legal fight, however. #CBA.”

Old
09-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
The players are not unified! If they were, the stars would not be playing over in Europe continuing to get a paycheck leaving begins the 3 rd and 4th line players who are not wanted in Europe and now get no paycheck. If those 3rd and 4th line guys where smart they would tell the union to get a deal now before their short careers become even shorter.
Disagree. One of the biggest pieces of leverage that players have is their right to play in another league. If they were smart and really unionized, they would band together the top 100 or so players in the NHL and all go to a specific league in Europe or wherever. Bring the NHL's talent to another league and generate a buzz while the NHL's owners keep their arenas empty.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:13 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassShootScore View Post
@LouisJean_TVA: Am told the NHL has given "no consideration" to using replacement players but it can be achieved. Not w/o a legal fight, however. #CBA.
So what kind of "replacement players" are we talking about? The zamboni driver lacing 'em up or simply ECHL scrubs?

I can't imagine any way how the NHL could come up with 600 replacement players and anybody would still want to watch it.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:48 PM
CostaTheCrazyGreek

Send a message via AIM to CostaTheCrazyGreek Send a message via Yahoo to CostaTheCrazyGreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
They get bucks from me because I have no choice but to get Cablevision.
Me too, but I know how to milk it for everything, especially internet.

Old
09-18-2012, 12:59 PM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
So what kind of "replacement players" are we talking about? The zamboni driver lacing 'em up or simply ECHL scrubs?

I can't imagine any way how the NHL could come up with 600 replacement players and anybody would still want to watch it.
If they water down the product any more it won't be worth the time to tune in on the TV. The game got borderline (un)watchable between the league expanding and the terrible officiating. The owners stopped caring about the fans a long time ago and it shows.

Old
09-18-2012, 01:13 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan_79 View Post
The owners stopped caring about the fans a long time ago and it shows.
IMO it's more like the owners have had NFL/MLB/NBA envy. They need to live within their means and realize that hockey is a smaller market sport and have to give it time to grow. A lockout is the opposite what's needed to do that

Old
09-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
IMO it's more like the owners have had NFL/MLB/NBA envy. They need to live within their means and realize that hockey is a smaller market sport and have to give it time to grow. A lockout is the opposite what's needed to do that
Or accept the fact that it won't.

Old
09-18-2012, 02:54 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Disagree. One of the biggest pieces of leverage that players have is their right to play in another league. If they were smart and really unionized, they would band together the top 100 or so players in the NHL and all go to a specific league in Europe or wherever. Bring the NHL's talent to another league and generate a buzz while the NHL's owners keep their arenas empty.
So are these High profile players who don't need the cash right now donating to the Union brothers who will be hurting to pay the bills????? I think not. It's all about the stars!

Old
09-18-2012, 03:02 PM
NYR2047
WebMD Trained Doctor

hey if they need replacement players i played in high school does that count?

Old
09-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

If you all really want to feel bad for someone, feel bad for the team employees who get screwed while the millionaires duke it out. If you're lucky enough not to be laid off, then you're likely facing shorter work weeks and lower pay.

It's not about the people who play and get paid, the people who cut the checks, or the people like us who "enjoy" the game in their free time. The people who get **** on are the people who truly depend on this game to get by.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If you all really want to feel bad for someone, feel bad for the team employees who get screwed while the millionaires duke it out. If you're lucky enough not to be laid off, then you're likely facing shorter work weeks and lower pay.

It's not about the people who play and get paid, the people who cut the checks, or the people like us who "enjoy" the game in their free time. The people who get **** on are the people who truly depend on this game to get by.
You hit the nail on the head right here. And the majority of those people aren't fans of the game.

So, when I see the 'oh, whoa is me, the poor fan's' posts, something like this really puts things in perspective.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

i was thinking about this the other day and it's really true. they're the ones that get screwed by this.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:52 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Don Fehr thinks this is major league baseball and the owners are hiding hundreds of millions of dollars. He is sorely mistaken
Oh come off it already. That's just bad mouthing. Fehr is hardly acting like its mlb and it's common business practice to transfer loses from one arm of a corporation to another. Fehr isn't even denying team losses.

Old
09-18-2012, 03:54 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You hit the nail on the head right here. And the majority of those people aren't fans of the game.

So, when I see the 'oh, whoa is me, the poor fan's' posts, something like this really puts things in perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
i was thinking about this the other day and it's really true. they're the ones that get screwed by this.
I have a good friend who works within an NHL organization. He had his first child 6 months ago and his wife left her job to take care of the baby because day care wasn't an option for them financially. So far he's been assured nobody will be laid off, but they didn't rule out pay retractions. That's three days into the lockout. Who knows what will happen if this drags on for months and months?

Some teams have already dropped the ax on several people:

Quote:
The Florida Panthers announced on Tuesday that they are already trimming down their budget. That means parting way with employees and scaling back how much others work and thus get paid.
The Senators have also laid off 10+ people.

Quote:
"Every full-time, every part-time employee is affected by a work stoppage," [team president Cyril] Leeder told the AP (via Sporting News). "On the full-time employees, they've either been laid off temporarily or gone to a four-day work week."
Full article.

If fans wanted to do something meaningful, they'd organize a fund for the people who are put out of work because of this.

Closed Thread