HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Lockout Discussion Thread (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2012, 03:03 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

vCash: 500
@GeorgeRichards: #FlaPanthers have laid off mascot Stanley C Panther. This is confirmed.

Even the mascots are being let go.

09-18-2012, 03:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Mike Russo had a chat today.

He has spoken to people on both sides who feel the lockout will be over sooner rather than later

Quote:
Michael Russo: I have trouble buying it, but I think I mentioned, in the past few days I've actually started to talk to more optimistic folks on both sides that this could be resolved sooner than later. Remember, the players had never ever looked at Sept. 15 as a deadline. Zach Parise even said that the other day. They don't start missing paychecks til Oct. 15, and even then they get 8% of last year's salary back. So there just never seemed too much urgency on the PA's part to get a deal done. They've delayed and delayed, didn't make a counterproposal for a month, hasn't really moved from its first proposal. So we'll see if at some point here in the next little bit these two sides get together and actually make some headway
Russo said the players would be agreeable to 50/50 on these conditions

Quote:
Michael Russo: I think the NHL always envisioned, "We'll get to 50-50 and avoid a lockout." That clearly didn't happen. Most fans I've talked to believe 50-50 is fair, and players I've talked to informally also say if the NHL would propose a deal where over time they'd slowly get down to 50-50 (rather than just going from 57 to 49, 48, 47, 47, 47, 47), that would be a start to bridge this gap.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...6.html?refer=y

Old
09-18-2012, 03:59 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

We are going to hear the half-glass full comments from some of the media, but the majority of the time any commentary is going to arrive with a doomsday statement.

Personally, i've felt all along that a deal will be done and the season will not be lost - but it will take to mid-late November to do so, once both sides start feeling a pinch in their pockets.

Up to this point I've been on the players side, most likely due to Fehr's impeccable persuasion skills. The NHL has been tight-lipped when it comes to offering up their side to the story, in detailed terms. But after listening to Daly's recent canadian interviews my allegiance has shifted a little bit more towards the league. I'm not by any means backing them, but I feel like theres purpose to their demands other than simply wringing the players dry of all revenue. Granted, they created this system and thats a fair stance to take.

Listen, when you have two entities like this who want their cut of the pie, with two vastly different approaches on how to attain it - things are going to come to a standstill. I believe that the key to this entire negotiation is Fehr, and its not about his willingness to budge or give in on issues. I think it firmly lies within his intelligence and creativity, and even moreso his ability to cater to the players needs.

Hes not approaching this like he did with baseball. He had an incredibly firm stance on what he wanted then and the strongest players union backing him. It was almost a personal vindication that he "won" that negotiation given the stage in his career when it occurred and his strong feelings about the result he achieved.

This time around I feel he is a lot more flexible in a sense that he is not a hockey guy, he is providing players with the leadership, experience and knowledge to get a deal that works for the NHLPA. Fehr has said it all along, he is just doing what the players want as a unified group, under his guidance. Why is this important? Because the guy a freaking genius and if the players want to play Fehr is saavy enough to be able to present several other options that can work for them.

Sooner or later that will be enough to set a foundation for a new deal. There are hundreds of more players then there are owners and over time it is difficult to keep player dissension from occurring. Fehr will be there to offer new ways, unlike Goodenow who was a dolt.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 09-18-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old
09-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Boom shockalaka. Ovechkin to sign with Dynamo.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-l...alex_ovechkin/

Slava Malamud @SlavaMalamud
Ovechkin will sign with Dynamo Moscow, Sport-Express reports #Caps

Old
09-18-2012, 04:17 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

GREEEEEED

F the owners. The league was doing great, EVERYONE was making money... and the owners and Bettman ruined it. It's that simple.

GREED.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
GREEEEEED

F the owners. The league was doing great, EVERYONE was making money... and the owners and Bettman ruined it. It's that simple.

GREED.
Thats just simply not true. A lie.

Old
09-18-2012, 04:39 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Mike Modano: Lockout Wasn't Worth It

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/83...m-last-lockout

Quote:
Mike Modano, the all-time leading point scorer among American-born players, estimates the last lockout cost him more than $7 million in salary by sitting out a year. To him, the payoff wasn't worth the sacrifice.

"In hindsight, it wasn't worth it," he told ESPN The Magazine for a story gauging former players' opinions of the last lockout. "It was a waste of time. We thought we were stronger than we were. We started falling apart as the months clicked by."
Quote:
"It's money you feel you never get back. At some point, we were sold a bill of goods," he said. "Everybody was buying it. Everybody thought, 'Let's not let each other down. Let's do it for the future of the game. Blah, blah, blah.' You're only in the game so long."

The NHL owners locked its players out at midnight Saturday for the third time under commissioner Gary Bettman as both sides continue to fight for an agreeable way to divide record revenues. Modano's advice for players digging in for the fight is to be prepared for disappointment.

"I would say (to them) that it's not a battle you're going to feel like you're going to win," he said. "It's a negotiation. You feel at some point that both sides will be upset about what they have to give up."

Here's one former player who gets it, hopefully the current PA is paying attention. Their leverage is just not there. Hold onto your posture for as long as possible to get the best deal you can, but don't think you're going to "win" by extending this over a year or more.

09-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Mike Modano: Lockout Wasn't Worth It

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/83...m-last-lockout
Here's one former player who gets it, hopefully the current PA is paying attention. Their leverage is just not there. Hold onto your posture for as long as possible to get the best deal you can, but don't think you're going to "win" by extending this over a year or more.
Obviously it wasn't worth it. What possible argument could there be that it was worth it? Much needed down-time?

Old
09-18-2012, 06:19 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Pierre LeBrun

Quote:
The NHL and NHL Players’ Association are entering a key phase in their CBA impasse.

Judging from conversations I’ve had over the past 24 hours, the next seven to 10 days are seen as "crucial" by some to finding out whether there’s a meaningful negotiation between the sides and finally a bit of traction in talks, or whether there's a freezing-out period similar to eight years ago when three months went by without any negotiations occurring.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...crucial-period

http://iphone.tsn.ca/mobile/2012/09/...ng2_091812.mp4

Quote:
No official meetings planned, but, the NHLPA and NHL did speak today and are planning on talking again tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/sta...98605201108992

Old
09-18-2012, 07:03 PM
92hatchattack

this sucks .... if this was a 3rd world country we could just burn NHL headquarters to the ground and take over....

Old
09-18-2012, 07:03 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
NHL and NHLPA spoke tonight. PA having internal discussions. Probably another talk tomorrow, but no formal negs skedded as yet.
https://twitter.com/CJ_Stevenson/sta...09176415830016

Old
09-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Just hope this gets resolved before the season begins.

Old
09-18-2012, 07:31 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Just hope this gets resolved before the season begins.
You're better off hoping there's a season.

09-18-2012, 07:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Sep 18, 2012 8:20p

Steve Fehr and Bill daily did speak tonight. That's all. No meetings planned. As of yet unable to reach a common ground.

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/248215002882920448

Old
09-18-2012, 07:54 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Ah, Mike "I can't afford to feed my dogs" modano chiming in I see.

Old
09-19-2012, 07:09 AM
DutchShamrock

If the players just folded last time, the first offer this time would have been a 33/67 cut for the PA. At least the owners believe the players are willing to fight, it keeps them honest. Bettman lowballed because he knew the union broke in 2005.

They may not see any gain from standing up to the league last time, but there's a mental component.

I totally believe the final deal will be better than bettman's last take it or leave it offer. It wasn't a disastrous move to balk.

Old
09-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
If the players just folded last time, the first offer this time would have been a 33/67 cut for the PA. At least the owners believe the players are willing to fight, it keeps them honest. Bettman lowballed because he knew the union broke in 2005.

They may not see any gain from standing up to the league last time, but there's a mental component.

I totally believe the final deal will be better than bettman's last take it or leave it offer. It wasn't a disastrous move to balk.
Yeah, can anyone imagine Gary Bettman going into a negotiation of a new CBA and say "everything is fine and dandy and we will offer you as much as you are getting right now"???

That will of course never happen. If they players take 47% this time, they know the offer will be 35% in 3-6 years when this CBA is up.

Like, it needs to atleast cost the owners to slap the players around.

Old
09-19-2012, 07:56 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I am afraid that I just do not get things like this. If the whole point is to let the owners dictate their terms, then why bother with a CBA? Or a union at all?

Old
09-19-2012, 08:20 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Ugh... I don't normally dwell on this situation but damn it sure would have been freakin' nice to be watching some hockey in a couple weeks!

Old
09-19-2012, 08:35 AM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

I've kind of just been ignoring all this and hoping that it would just sort itself out but it's officially starting to bother me now. The weather is changing, starting to get a little chilly out, football is back, all the signs of the beginning of a new hockey season are there... except a working CBA.

Old
09-19-2012, 08:38 AM
mullichicken25

im considering watching all the games this year on illegal online streams despite having cablevision and therefore access to every game in HD on MSG

everyone else should too

that way we still get to watch but they dont get the money....right?

Old
09-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
im considering watching all the games this year on illegal online streams despite having cablevision and therefore access to every game in HD on MSG

everyone else should too

that way we still get to watch but they dont get the money....right?
You're still paying for Cablevision, aren't you?

Pretty sure they dont care if you watch or not as long as they get a check from you each month.

Old
09-19-2012, 08:45 AM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

@reporterchris: According to @Guggti, Rick Nash told reporters in Davos he thinks the NHL lockout will last the entire season.”

Old
09-19-2012, 08:53 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
I've kind of just been ignoring all this and hoping that it would just sort itself out but it's officially starting to bother me now. The weather is changing, starting to get a little chilly out, football is back, all the signs of the beginning of a new hockey season are there... except a working CBA.
Having a newly renovated Garden waiting for us fans to experience & enjoy ain't helping much either!

I don't follow any other sports so for me the 4 1/2 months in between NHL seasons is a brutally long wait.... Now that the season is delayed it just adds fuel to the fire....

Old
09-19-2012, 08:54 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You're still paying for Cablevision, aren't you?

Pretty sure they dont care if you watch or not as long as they get a check from you each month.
but ratings go down if no ones watching = advertisment dollars...right?

and trust me, if i had another option besides cablevision id jump right on it...but thats a discussion for another time

Closed Thread