HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Lockout Discussion Thread (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Not everyone who is on an ELC. Hagelin is on an ELC but isn't eligible. It has to do with the waiver rules, which I can't cite of the top of my head. You can look it up in the CBA if you're interested.

As to whether they have to go, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think they do. Several years ago the Rangers wanted to send Prucha down to work on his game, but he refused the assignment. I believe the Rangers could have fined him for that, or even terminated his contract, but they didn't. And I can't imagine any team would cause a stink if any player refused to report to the AHL during the lockout. I'm sure the NHLPA would have something to say if they did, and they don't need any more things to fight about right now.
Being waiver eligible depended on two factors: the age a player signs their professional contract and how many NHL games they've played in (including playoff games). Hagelin signed as a 22 year old and has played in 81 games--according to the chart I found on the Business of Hockey board (from the old CBA), he lost his waiver exemption because he's played in more than 60 games. McDonagh signed as a 21 year--he lost his waiver exemption after 80 games. The players from Edmonton all signed as 18 year olds. They are waiver exempt until they have played in 160 games--hence why they are still waiver exempt.

Here's a link to a thread where I have a post (#4) that has the table--I couldn't find the thread about the old CBA on the Business of Hockey board (it's probably a page or two behind the first page).

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5#post53730465

Old
09-20-2012, 06:54 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Page 66 of the 2005 CBA has a chart for the waiver eligibility

Jeff Skinner signed his ELC as an 18 year old. Its 3 years and 160 games. He has played 146 NHL games. 14 NHL games from requiring waivers.

http://www.capgeek.com/waiver_calcul...=-1&Calculate=

The older the player signing his ELC,the fewer requirements to be waiver exempt/waiver eligible.

Old
09-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Dactyl

is kreider the only guy that we have on the roster that can bypass waivers?

Old
09-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Not much of a surprise.

Quote:
Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL
Expecting the cancellation of the rest of the NHL preseason by Tuesday morning.

Old
09-20-2012, 07:30 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

So when is the next "pressure point" when we may actually see some negotiating?

09-20-2012, 07:37 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
One of the reliable Tweeters said he thinks around October 11th would be the next official CBA meeting.

Quote:
Dmitry Chesnokov ‏@dchesnokov
If I had to predict, the next formal round of negotiations will take place around October 11. #captainobvious #NHLlockout

Old
09-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
As soon as a precious dollar is about to be forfeited.

Old
09-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

vCash: 50
Regardless of who is at fault here, I will never buy any NHL merchandise again. I highly doubt I will be taking any family to games anymore either. If my kids want games we will go see the Icedogs play when we're up there.

Old
09-20-2012, 08:35 PM
robwrx04

Time to buy knockoff jerseys

Old
09-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Ovechkin makes his debut with a bang:

Malkin makes his debut getting banged:

Old
09-20-2012, 09:46 PM
NYRKING30

God this is painful, im already deep in hockey withdrawals. Oct 11thbetter not be the next official meeting. Ridiculous. I am a die hard fan but if I was a casual one, I would never watch another NHL game in my life.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

The fact that they are not in a room everyday this week since monday shows neither sides really give a crap. Idc what either side says...past players, nhl writers, fans are saying go lock yourselves in a room. What an effin joke.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:31 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Kinda funny story apparently BoychuK hangs in my hometown sometimes. He told a guy he's one of the more overpaid players in the league and thinks a fair salary would be 200k but that the owners want to offer big contracts so that's what players sign.

Old
09-21-2012, 07:35 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I just think you're looking for excuses to shift the lack of leverage away from the players. You have to be filthy rich in the first place to buy any pro sports team. The revenue generated out of the team, for the great majority of these guys, is basically disposable. You really think they're going to be hurting by not opening the doors to their arenas for a couple of months? C'mon, get real.

Wait until you see what happens with that united players union once 3rd and 4th liners start missing paychecks.
No, I am not talking about shifting leverage to the players. I am talking about the pain being spread out between teh players and the owners.

The easiest argument that most people craft is the "filthy rich" argument. Most people see their own paychecks, then see what the owners are raking, and come up with the same exact conclusion that you do. That this is disposable income to them. They do not care becuase they make so much more than that. That cannot even be categorized as an argument. If you are working two jobs, and one of those jobs suddenly stopped giving you a paycheck, guess what? You feel it. I do not care if you make $100 million a year. If you suddenly go down to $90 million, then guess what? You FEEL it. I can even make a case that millionaires care about each basis point much more so than the main street folk.

New ownerships invested in the league. But they did not do so to take a bath in their first year of ownership with a payout that amounts to ZERO. That makes any other venture by them have to subsidize the lost income. Adn that is IF they even have another venture. Again, think that Tampa's shiny electronic new toy, purportedly one of the biggest in North America, came cheap? Do you think that the new ownership bought it out of the goodness of their heart? Owners rely on income. To say "The revenue generated out of the team, for the great majority of these guys, is basically disposable." is an utter fallacy. And, no offense, smacks of ignorance. I guarantee you that the revenue from owning an NHL team is not considered to be disposable income.

And statements like this "You really think they're going to be hurting by not opening the doors to their arenas for a couple of months? C'mon, get real." are no less ignorant. Do I think that an owner who makes ZERO for several months from not owning the NHL team is hurting? I absolutely do. I have no idea of how one could even begin to construe an argument that they do not hurt from this. It is one thing to make a case, like in 2004, that they owners loose less by not having a season. That was the case the last time. It is quite another to preach that, after having record setting revenues, that the owners feel absolutely nothing by missing several months of revenue. Revenue is not just for now. But revenue created is also for the future.

You say wait until the players start to miss checks. I agree with you. They will be hurting. But wait until the owners start to feel the joy of having generated NOTHING for an entire year. Again. And wait until the new owners, who came into the league guns blazing to spend, the first or second year of ownership without a red cent to finance their rebuild of arenas or support for the free agents or revenut to fund the future of the team.

I am not making an argument on who hurts more or who blinks first. I am simply saying that dismissing the loss that the owners will take this time out, is simply misleading and not representative of the population that knows what a business is like.

Old
09-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

Ovie looks weird wearing #32.

Old
09-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
No, I am not talking about shifting leverage to the players. I am talking about the pain being spread out between teh players and the owners.

The easiest argument that most people craft is the "filthy rich" argument. Most people see their own paychecks, then see what the owners are raking, and come up with the same exact conclusion that you do. That this is disposable income to them. They do not care becuase they make so much more than that. That cannot even be categorized as an argument. If you are working two jobs, and one of those jobs suddenly stopped giving you a paycheck, guess what? You feel it. I do not care if you make $100 million a year. If you suddenly go down to $90 million, then guess what? You FEEL it. I can even make a case that millionaires care about each basis point much more so than the main street folk.

New ownerships invested in the league. But they did not do so to take a bath in their first year of ownership with a payout that amounts to ZERO. That makes any other venture by them have to subsidize the lost income. Adn that is IF they even have another venture. Again, think that Tampa's shiny electronic new toy, purportedly one of the biggest in North America, came cheap? Do you think that the new ownership bought it out of the goodness of their heart? Owners rely on income. To say "The revenue generated out of the team, for the great majority of these guys, is basically disposable." is an utter fallacy. And, no offense, smacks of ignorance. I guarantee you that the revenue from owning an NHL team is not considered to be disposable income.

And statements like this "You really think they're going to be hurting by not opening the doors to their arenas for a couple of months? C'mon, get real." are no less ignorant. Do I think that an owner who makes ZERO for several months from not owning the NHL team is hurting? I absolutely do. I have no idea of how one could even begin to construe an argument that they do not hurt from this. It is one thing to make a case, like in 2004, that they owners loose less by not having a season. That was the case the last time. It is quite another to preach that, after having record setting revenues, that the owners feel absolutely nothing by missing several months of revenue. Revenue is not just for now. But revenue created is also for the future.

You say wait until the players start to miss checks. I agree with you. They will be hurting. But wait until the owners start to feel the joy of having generated NOTHING for an entire year. Again. And wait until the new owners, who came into the league guns blazing to spend, the first or second year of ownership without a red cent to finance their rebuild of arenas or support for the free agents or revenut to fund the future of the team.

I am not making an argument on who hurts more or who blinks first. I am simply saying that dismissing the loss that the owners will take this time out, is simply misleading and not representative of the population that knows what a business is like.
Theres absolutely no reason to take this and turn it into a much wider ranging standard of living argument. But, speaking of ignorance, to even compare a guy working 2 jobs just to eat and a guy making $100M is laughable. Sure, they both feel it, but which ones feels it more if their income drops?

Which brings me back to hockey. I never said that the owners wouldnt feel the effects of a work stoppage. But, considering half the teams in the NHL don't turn a profit, I dont see how you can lie your way to saying that at least some owners aren't crying that they have to keep the doors shuttered until a better deal for them is hammered out. The players, on the other hand, get paid or dont get paid - simple as that.

The owners just voted unanimously for a lockout. If they're concerned about their financial situation, they sure as hell aint showing it. And do you know why? Because they know an extended work stoppage will hurt the players far, far more than it will hurt them.

Last edited by Bleed Ranger Blue: 09-21-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old
09-21-2012, 11:00 AM
pwoz

Will NHL 14 have CBA mode so that I can just leave the game on the shelf as it collects dust?

Old
09-21-2012, 11:33 AM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Will NHL 14 have CBA mode so that I can just leave the game on the shelf as it collects dust?
To paraphrase a buddy of mine "NHL 13 already has this mode. You simply break the disc in half and no one gets to play."

Old
09-21-2012, 11:35 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Theres absolutely no reason to take this and turn it into a much wider ranging standard of living argument. But, speaking of ignorance, to even compare a guy working 2 jobs just to eat and a guy making $100M is laughable. Sure, they both feel it, but which ones feels it more if their income drops?
This is not about standard of living. I believe that it is ignorant to write off a $10 loss and say that it is not felt. This is not Main St vs. Wall St. But EVERYONE feels money loss. I am not comparing a $100m guy to a blue collar, two job worker. But I am saying that who are you to say to the $100m guy that his loss of $10m is petty cash and simply disposable income?
Quote:
Which brings me back to hockey. I never said that the owners wouldnt feel the effects of a work stoppage. But, considering half the teams in the NHL don't turn a profit, I dont see how you can lie your way to saying that at least some owners aren't crying that they have to keep the doors shuttered until a better deal for them is hammered out.
It is not as simple as simply saying those that are turning a profit now vs. not turning a profit now. Again, I take Tampa and Buffalo as examples. Not sure if they made or lost money last year. But there is new ownership in both places. Both came in expecting to actually spend money, unlike the past. Those expenditures ALSO depend upon revenue. In Tampa's case, they have done work on the home rink. Without revenue to fund the expenditure, that NOW turns into a definite loss.
Quote:
The players, on the other hand, get paid or dont get paid - simple as that.
And there are more than enough owners that loose revenue - simple as that. And I challenge the thinking that what they loose is simply nothing more than discretionary income that they do not need. Or planned on utlizing based on what they have already done and planned on doing in the future.
Quote:
The owners just voted unanimously for a lockout. If they're concerned about their financial situation, they sure as hell aint showing it.
And the union has said ok, have it your way. If they're concerned about their financial situation, they sure as hell ain't showing it.
Quote:
And do you know why? Because they know an extended work stoppage will hurt the players far, far more than it will hurt them.
They, like it or not, more than likely realize that cutting off your nose to spite your face is rather foolish. This is not 2004.

Old
09-21-2012, 11:56 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Owners learned that locking out is THE proven method to getting what they want. It's now their strategy going in. Bettman was talking about a lockout months before it actually happened.
And it's funny because the owners can't even bring themselves to say "lockout". Here's the language from the League (note the bolded part):

"NHL Announces Cancellation of Preseason Schedule Through September 30

The National Hockey League announced Wednesday the cancellation of the 2012 preseason schedule through September 30. In addition, the 2012 Kraft Hockeyville preseason game, scheduled for October 3 in Belleville, Ontario, has been postponed to 2013.

The cancellation of the schedule was necessary because of the absence of a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL Players’ Association and the NHL."

Old
09-21-2012, 12:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Already desperate for hockey, I just sat through the Rangers Game 5 loss to the Devils on NHL Network this morning.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:05 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Nashty View Post
Kinda funny story apparently BoychuK hangs in my hometown sometimes. He told a guy he's one of the more overpaid players in the league and thinks a fair salary would be 200k but that the owners want to offer big contracts so that's what players sign.
In a world where Jeff frickin' Finger can sign a $3 million/year contract, Boychuk deserves every penny in comparison. But he's absolutely right...it's a joke how much contracts for 3rd/4th liners and bottom pairing d-men are inflated.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:55 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
This is not about standard of living. I believe that it is ignorant to write off a $10 loss and say that it is not felt. This is not Main St vs. Wall St. But EVERYONE feels money loss. I am not comparing a $100m guy to a blue collar, two job worker. But I am saying that who are you to say to the $100m guy that his loss of $10m is petty cash and simply disposable income?
I think you mean discretionary income. Money after taxes and personal necessities. And unless a person needs an extremely expensive robotic exosuit to survive I am pretty sure what you describes falls into discretionary income.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:20 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
I think you mean discretionary income. Money after taxes and personal necessities. And unless a person needs an extremely expensive robotic exosuit to survive I am pretty sure what you describes falls into discretionary income.
Correct and I stand corrected. I thinkt discretionary was going through my head, and disposable came out.

Old
09-21-2012, 02:09 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
One of the reliable Tweeters said he thinks around October 11th would be the next official CBA meeting.
This has to be a joke, right?

10/11 the next meeting? Are they ****ing serious?

Closed Thread