HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Lockout Discussion Thread (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassShootScore View Post
“@walsha: Sources tell http://t.co/xPOHgp95 that more than a handful of NHL owners are already wary of losing the entire year. http://t.co/WAC7iNoV”
Happy lockout everyone.

Old
09-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

vCash: 500
this league is run by clowns

Old
09-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Riverdale

*sigh*

Not even mad anymore.

Old
09-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
the more i read, the more i sense the league management is getting divided and unhappy with the overall structure of the league/sport. this may actually come to a head in court.

(btw, i'd like to see the league try to fine a big time owner - sorry buffalo - a million bucks. a guy like dolan, if he were unhappy enough to speak out, might have no problem telling bettman to shove his fine up his arse).
Are the Detroit Red Wings a big enough target? Cause they were just fined $250,000 for having one of their executives speak out in favor of the owners' cause:

Quote:
The N.H.L. announced Saturday that it had fined the Detroit Red Wings an undisclosed amount for comments about the lockout made by Jim Devellano, a club senior vice president, in an interview published this week.
Quote:
Devellano’s extensive remarks, which likened N.H.L. players to cattle, violated a leaguewide order barring team owners and officials from commenting on the lockout. Only Commissioner Gary Bettman and his deputy, Bill Daly, are authorized to comment on lockout matters. Bettman is authorized to levy a fine as high a $1 million for speaking out of turn.
[QUOTE][The owners own the ranch and allow the players to eat there,” he said, adding: “The owners simply aren’t going to let a union push them around. It’s not going to happen.”

Devellano, who has worked in the N.H.L. for 45 years, also suggested a settlement wherein “the players take 43 percent and let the owners take 57 percent,” and warned players going overseas “to be very careful” not to get hurt.

/QUOTE]

Quote:
In announcing the fine, Daly said in a statement: “The Detroit Red Wings’ organization and the league agree that the comments made by Mr. Devellano are neither appropriate, nor authorized, nor permissible under the league’s bylaws. Such comments are neither constructive nor helpful to the negotiations.”
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ks/#more-47612

Happy now?

Old
09-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
i wonder if the league really has the absolute power to fine one of it's own a million bucks. if there is a legitimate faction of dissenters, this could become ugly quick. i'd buy tickets to watch that argument.
It's in the bylaws of the NHL--the only way they can get rid of it is to have a majority of owners (or perhaps even more than a simple majority--the bylaws may be written in such a way that 2/3 of the teams would have to vote in favor changing it) vote that way. Until then, individual owners have ceded certain things to the NHL; among the things they have agreed to is that only Bettman and Daly can speak publically for them.

Old
09-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

wow those comments are ridiculous.

Last edited by Ryan McDonut: 09-23-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old
09-23-2012, 06:36 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassShootScore View Post
“@walsha: Sources tell http://t.co/xPOHgp95 that more than a handful of NHL owners are already wary of losing the entire year. http://t.co/WAC7iNoV”
Neither link is bringing me to anything related to the quote. Is it that the owners are expecting a full season lockout or that they're expecting it and don't want it to happen?

Old
09-23-2012, 07:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
This is true. The Rangers and the NHL have been at odds for a number of years.

The Rangers did, partly, get around the NHL website issue with Blueshirtsunited.com.
And they filed a lawsuit.

Old
09-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
And they filed a lawsuit.
And lost because the Rangers had agreed to the bylaws of the NHL and were in volation of them. If an owner wants to contest the gag order from the NHL in court they will lose too.

Old
09-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Neither link is bringing me to anything related to the quote. Is it that the owners are expecting a full season lockout or that they're expecting it and don't want it to happen?
Take out the quotation marks on the 2nd link.

Old
09-23-2012, 08:42 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Take out the quotation marks on the 2nd link.
Good eye, thanks for the tip.

Old
09-23-2012, 08:42 PM
nevesis

Nash...

http://youtu.be/YHKkHj-LRT8

Old
09-23-2012, 09:04 PM
rvdnsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Nash is friggin ready for the season, hope he gets to show off his skills for the Rangers soon...

Old
09-24-2012, 07:52 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Watch Bettman say 50-50 is not a fair deal for the owners. This is the problem with Bettman and why Fehr is leery of putting anything on the table.
Brooks is Brooks. But this was a great point:

What kind of league operates this way? What kind of industry routinely shuts its doors upon expiration of each labor agreement? What manner of leader rules by gag orders, veto power and ultimatum?

This is a question that I have been asking. How can the owners pat a commisioner on the back that has no idea of how to negotiate without instituting a lockout?

What Bettman should really be worried about is that Fehr is going to put the salary cap back on the table.

I have to be honest. While there is bluster and ultimatum's, I think that Bettman actually fears having to pull the plug on the entire season. I do not think that he comes back from something like that. Nor will he be able to get a job in any other sports league.

Old
09-24-2012, 07:52 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Pierre LeBrun said he spoke with a owners who were hawkish in 2004 but they want to play now. Some of them probably like the revenue sharing part of the new CBA. Its $150M now. NHL has offered $190M. PA wants it at $240M. I read an article yesterday which quoted a NHL source who said $220M is a reasonable compromise. Bettman would control the industry growth fund. The Rangers and some of the other big market teams will need to contribute more. I think the max is $14M. It will be something like $10M more for the Garden. Dolan said he wants to play. The extra $10M is a tax for Dolan. $10M to make nearly $200M. The Garden needs to fill the building. MSG network needs programming so they can make money from commercials.

Old
09-24-2012, 07:55 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
And I imagine that would be more effective than going public.
Much more so.

I also thought of something else. How many owners would be happy if their star players recieve a season ending injury while overseas? What happens then? Would closed doors hold down Maryo's voice if Malkin gets a concussion?

Old
09-24-2012, 08:26 AM
CM PUNK

it really seems that the 2 sides aren't that far apart on most things and there should be easy compromise EXCEPT for the whole rollback thing. if the owners would accept a gradual decline in % to guarantee current contracts instead of all at once, i think the rest of it could be worked out in a matter of days. but as long as the rollback remains on the table we aren't getting hockey.

Old
09-24-2012, 08:27 AM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

vCash: 1150
“@DarrenDreger: NHL and PA meeting this morning on escrow and HRR matters. Informal CBA discussions expected this afternoon.”

Old
09-24-2012, 08:48 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
this league is run by clowns
You can say that again

09-24-2012, 08:50 AM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 83
I'm so pissed off at the thought of losing the entire year, or any of the year at all to be honest. We just got the Jets back and I'm a season ticket holder, was really looking forward to heading back to the arena. Not to mention watching the Rangers dominate this year too.

Old
09-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
I'm so pissed off at the thought of losing the entire year, or any of the year at all to be honest. We just got the Jets back and I'm a season ticket holder, was really looking forward to heading back to the arena. Not to mention watching the Rangers dominate this year too.
Im as pessimistic as anyone when it comes to the people that operate this league, their petty agendas, and their ignorance when it comes to the fans -- but I still maintain that theres no way in hell another entire season of hockey will be lost.

Old
09-24-2012, 08:58 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

The league is an utter joke. To have a 3rd lockout is inexcusable. The blame lies on Bettman's shoulders no matter what many of you may say or think about how both sides are to blame. Bettman is an NBA man, not a hockey guy. He has a stranglehold on the owners. The NHL is a laughing stock yet again. Bettman would rather lose a whole season to get what he wants. He looks down on the nba and believes the league caved last year. It caved because it wanted basketball to be played? **** you Bettman. You get paid more than most players. Where's the rollback for you? Multi-million dollar home.

Old
09-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Realize

Send a message via ICQ to Realize Send a message via MSN to Realize Send a message via Skype™ to Realize
Is it early enough to repeat now that the league is run by clowns?

Old
09-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
The league is an utter joke. To have a 3rd lockout is inexcusable. The blame lies on Bettman's shoulders no matter what many of you may say or think about how both sides are to blame. Bettman is an NBA man, not a hockey guy. He has a stranglehold on the owners. The NHL is a laughing stock yet again. Bettman would rather lose a whole season to get what he wants. He looks down on the nba and believes the league caved last year. It caved because it wanted basketball to be played? **** you Bettman. You get paid more than most players. Where's the rollback for you? Multi-million dollar home.
This is my biggest issue with Bettman. I dont know what he wants.

Other than abandoning any sort of creative and progressive thinking, his de-facto move seems to be to **** the players to counteract the revenue deficiencies.

His argument to the players basically boils down to "Sorry that I moved the league into ridiculous markets and OK'd shoddy management teams, we're gonna have to take that cut from you"

Old
09-24-2012, 10:15 AM
DutchShamrock

Not a big shock that a basketball guy is intrigued by the concept of no hockey.

This meeting over hrr and escrow is actually promising. Thats the major hurdle right now. or they realize the gap is too wide and talks break off until december.

Closed Thread