I love hockey, but I can't really sympathize with the millionaire players.
i sympathize with, first and foremost, 80% of the owners.
secondly, the players, who recognize that simply reducing their share does not solve any problems, it simply puts more money in the pockets of the other 20% of the owners.
I am opposed to the 20% of the owners who already make either obscene profits or respectable profits and have decided that rather than share some to better the league as a whole (and therefore themselves long-term), to demand the players fix the problems of the other 80% (and make them richer in the process).
I love FIFA's Ultimate team where the game mode originated. Brilliantly done and you can succeed just fine without having spend your own money. You can do the same with NHL, but it's way too ****ing easy for someone to absolutely stack their team to the max. HUT has a **** ton of problems in comparison to other Ultimate team modes (FIFA, Madden).
GM mode has been improved (injuries aren't AS bad, trades aren't AS bad, signings aren't AS bad) but it's still not great. It's frustrating to see this Be a GM mode and then go play Madden 13 and absolutely love the concept they've done with their Be a coach mode.
EASHL will always be the mode I have most fun in when I'm just playing with my buddies.
EDIT: Want to fix HUT? Take out ALL means of using real money to purchase your team. That will never happen though since I'm sure it's a huge profit for EA Sports.